• This topic has 8 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 8 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

This is about color and design in one’s living space.

Since we were little, we were taught that blue is for boys and pink is for girls. Similarly, flowers are viewed as having a basically feminine vibe.

Obviously, however, there is nothing biologically gender specific about any color or item from nature.

A welcome break from the “pink is female” assumption came way back in 1900 when Brooks Brothers introduced the pink men’s dress shirt. But it did not become popular with men until 1955 when Life Magazine discovered it.

Well, without even getting into the matter of one’s attire, one can feminize one’s living space through accessories that are rendered in colors and designs assumed by society to be “female.” Pink or lavender towels anyone? Floral patterned sheets? Obviously, one’s living situation will determine how far one can go in this regard. However, it can be as subtle as the color of one’s toothbrush!

Flowers, although not truly gender specific, can still be used in one’s home to bring out one’s female vibe.

The main point is that one can increase one’s feminine mindset simply by objects one surrounds oneself with in one’s home.

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

Nope. I don’t need or want my nicely decorated home to say it’s occupant is feminine. I much prefer my appearance does all the talking.

Emily

My home is a mixture of styles.  My bedroom is paneled in dk brown but has rose/light pink window shades.  The paneling keeps the room sort of dark for sleeping during the day since I prefer graveyard shift, and the shades give it a sort of relaxing soft natural light for when I am awake during daylight.  My private bathroom is done in light colors and pinks, since my mom had pinkish colored fixtures installed during a major remodel soon after we moved into the house.  I’ve always liked the colors she had and have kept it that way.

The rest of the rooms pretty normal as far as wall colors, but the furniture and accents definitely have a more feminine touch.  I don’t have any of the real heavy looking, dark furniture, except for the aircraft carrier size desk I got at an office auction many years ago (it is actually 3ft x 7ft in area) for $25.00.

PaulaF

Hi Eve I agree with you. I want others to come into my home and feel the presence of a female. That amongst other things is what attracted me to my wife. Her femininity was not only expressed by her choice of clothing but her ability to make a house into a home. It is just another thing we have in common. I found once i started to let go of my male persona and allowed my fem to come out. Everthing began to change. My choice of color and shapes, the smell of a room just the feeling  a room gives off when first entering it. I always take the time to buy a bouquet of fresh cut flowers weekly for our dining and kitchen area. It changes the smell and the look from masculine to feminine. There are so many other tiny things that went unrecognized in my past that are becoming so apparent now. The balance of masculine and  feminine is what is needed to make the picture look and feel right. We can offer both if we allow it. We have unlearn somethings in order to learn others. Just a thought luv Stephanie

Anonymous

I’m colour blind so you really don’t want me decorating it could get pretty outrageous. When I go shopping for clothes I rely on the sales assistants for some help[ coordinating my outfits.

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Eve, thoughtful question. I’ve done a few little things to feminize my personal spaces in our home but I can’t go overboard. My wife (who knows I’m a CD) is not a “pink” kind of gal. She prefers neutral colors and accessories. So lots of light browns, greens, creams, gray. She also hates scents so no scented candles, perfumes, flowers, or anything that gives off a scent. I even have to go with unscented deodorant which is not often on sale. Hence a fantastic reason to shave armpit hair.
      Stay healthy, stay safe,
      Hugs, Krista

Anonymous

Eve,
      I voted “no”, not because I have any objection to the idea, but because it would be a wasted effort. My brain has tunnel vision, focusing only on what’s directly in front of me. I rarely even notice my surroundings. Not a good thing, actually, but that’s me.

Hi Eve,

I did vote Yes, but mostly just for the bedroom. Ideally the rest of the house, at least for me should be theme based decor. Something that myself or my wife is into. Or den, has movie stuff, like autographed pictures and movie posters. Rounded out with things like theater masked. However once my wife got to a point of acceptance of my femme. We went and replaced our dark blue bedding with this very pretty pink and light gray set. That being said, my how times have changed. Little known fact, and I think someone already touched on it. Historically the blue and pink colors were reversed. Boys were dressed in pink, because it was a shad of red (at the time, pre 1700s maybe 1800s). Not sure on the time frame, but I digress. Red was considered the color of power and blue or light blue in young girls cases was considered a color of elegance. So with that being said, I’m also privet towards lighter shades of blue as well. But this is just mho. I hope everyone is staying safe.

Cassie

Anonymous

Giving your home a more feminine feel needn’t mean anything pink. Pastel colors are widely used in southwest and European decor. Something as simple as a colorful (meaning bright) throw over the back of a sofa can make a significant change to the feel of a room. A few pillows set on chairs opposite or flanking the sofa pulls things together. Like to have pictures? Have several smaller ones matted & framed.

Things like lampshades generally tend to be inexpensive, and speaking of lighting, consider an accent lamp. Think of blending styles, art deco accent pieces go we with most decor. Just don’t over do things. Some of my favorite accent pieces are an art deco accent lamp of a female silhouette with a frosted circular white glass shade. I also have  tiffany style lamp on an end table with multiple blown glass stems styled like calla lilies. You can find these at places like Pier1, JC Penny and of course  Amazon. Moderately lacy sheet drapes over solid color opaque drapes look classy and still give privacy.  Softening the feel of a room can be fun if you can find the right items. Look around ! Use your imagination !

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?