Viewing 19 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I’ll start this by picking three of my favorites:

Connie and Carla

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Kinky Boots

“Connie and Carla”, was a lot of fun with a bit of a message and a lot of feel-good. “Priscilla”, was outrageous and, in spite of some really specific examples, actually toned down the rampant and excessively gruesome homophobia of Australia at the time. One problem I always had was Terence Spence’s portrayal of a male who had fully transitioned. While at rare times I felt his femininity was very believable, Spence, himself, is too masculine in some ways to ‘pass’. But I realized that was the same experience I had personally observed in actual transwomen. The transition is often never fully visible and that can be a tragedy. Spence was actually spot-on in his portrayal and did it with class and style.

When, “Transamerica”, came out I thought it would be another fluff piece where Hollywood used a ‘name’ rather than someone who actually had relevant experience. However, Felicity Huffman impressed me with her portrayal of a male who tries so hard against so many hardships (poverty, parents, rigidity of the Real Life Experience, etc.) just to become a woman and to become accepted as a woman.

Then there was, “Normal”, with Tom Wilkinson. No punches pulled, a really thorough examination of the relevant issues sometimes hastily dealt with in a limited time, and a rather uplifting and victorious ending.

There are others, but I found, “Transamerica”, and, “Normal”, to be enlightening and expressive.

I don’t regard, “Tootsie”, (and similar movies) as specifically transgender as it is just about an actor trying to prove how good a performer he is. It was more of a , “Charley’s Aunt”, sort of thing. On the other hand, it was a rather fictionalized voyage of discovery that gave a peek into significant matters. “Just Like a Woman”, was also essentially a comedy but it dealt, a little bit, with the motives for cross-dressing. Perhaps not thoroughly or with complete honesty, but it did help to make ideas public.

Araminta.

Thanks for your detailed response Arminta!

I don’t believe I have seen TransAmerica, however at the behest of my therapist I did find a copy of Normal. That was certainly an unvarnished look at transgender issues. I really could relate to that movie as I too live in a very small, rural town.

I agree with what you said about Priscilla, but was impressed with Terrance’s performance, especially since he was always cast as a tough “heavy” type of character.

Heather

That was sort of the thing that puzzled me at first. The ‘male’ kept coming out in Spence’s character. Like when he kneed the tough guy in the crotch and told him that now he was f–cked. I kind of suspected that Bernadette might have spent time in the military. Bernadette may have been a lady but she was no sissy.

Araminta.

Anonymous

Felicity Huffman was just amazing in a wonderful film

I don’t know about those movies. Is it bad to say that? Lol

however I wanna watch the Danish Girl. Is it any good?

Hi Alisha,

I’m not familiar with Danish Girl, but that is one of the reasons I posted this is to find out about other movies that would be a good watch.

Thanks!

Heather

“The Danish Girl”, is superbly performed, beautifully crafted and historically significant. To me the key is the sudden and overwhelming revelation of the key figure’s desires and need to be a woman.

Araminta.

three off the top of my head in no particular order;

Rocky Horror – Started it all, costumes music, what a movie!

Hedwig and the Angry Inch – Catchy music you’ll be singing after the movie’s done, quirky story

Danish Girl – More recent movie, touching, romantic

Anonymous

There is a documentary on Amazon called Trans. I have watched it twice.

Kay

Hi Heather I found your suggestion of Normal a little deep for my simple brain but good . How about  Too Wong Foo good bye Julie Newmar  with Patrick Swazey  cute story line . Havent seen Transamerica yet but will look for it  Another  funny one was Bird cage with Robin williams quirky but funny  .Good topic girlfriend..

Stephanie Bass

Kathleen
      Duchess

The Danish Girl will bring a tear to your eye ( I hope!) and make you think. Personally I loved it

Anonymous

Totally with you Kathleen , a wonderful film 🎥

One that I thought of, not exactly transgender, but it has its revelations, was, “The Belles of St. Trinian’s” (1954). This starred Alastair Sim (marvellous Ebenezer Scrooge) as Miss Millicent Fritton who noted that, “At most schools, girls are sent out quite unprepared for a merciless world but, when our girls leave here, it is the merciless world which has to be prepared.”

Sim could have done it as a comic farce. One would believe he never could “pass” so his best bet would be to lampoon the role. I think it was to Sim’s credit that he played it straight as an intelligent, generally well-meaning (money was often an exception) lady of culture and learning who wished to be a proper example to her young charges. Sim played it straight and he did so brilliantly subsuming his masculinity into Miss Fritton’s femininity and become in a virtuso presentation of verisimilitude a pretty acceptable woman.

I must of seen that movie ten-times before I thought of that. I wonder if it was my imagination, mental, intentional or coincidental.

I believe the part was intended for Margaret Rutherford (although how she would play the twin brother) but she withdrew. Lucky for Sim who, I believe, was wise enough to play the role genuinely.

Araminta.

Anonymous

The Danish Girl & Transamerica ….both already mentioned but both wonderful & definitely worth seeing 🎥🌹🌹

I saw one recently on Amazon prime that I loved. Boy meets girl. Was a really good movie with a few twists. I would recommend it.

an oldie, Freebie & the bean, featuring crossdressing Christopher Marlowe as the villianess, also Soldier’s Girl.

There was a similar Forum topic many moons ago and my favorites haven’t changed since then. Since I love this film genre, I’ll list them all again.

All-time favorites: Boy Meets Girl and Soldier’s Girl

Others I think are very good and worth seeing at least once are:

The New Girlfriend
      Different for Girls
      Just Like a Woman
      Transamerica
      The Danish Girl

I’m still hoping that one day the German film Rubbeldiekatz will be released in America with English subtitles.

And last year I saw a trailer and some video clips on youtube of a 2018 Belgian movie called “Girl”. I hope to eventually be able to see this one also. It looks to be available on Netflix streaming, but I’m old fashioned and still like my DVDs.

Josie Angel
        Duchess

I loved Soldier’s Girl too.  It gave me the sense I could have a normal life as a trans girl (the scene where she’s partying with neighbors).

Josie Angel
        Duchess

I love seeing all this love for The Danish Girl.  I felt it was validating.  As a bi-gender individual, it was the first time I truly felt like I saw myself on screen.  I will always love Eddie Redmayne for that.

Fantastic list Camryn! Thx so much.

Hi Camryn,

Thanks for recommending some movies I was unaware of.

Heather

Revel
      Baroness

Good choices sisters, but let’s not forget “Mrs. Doubtfire” played by Robin Williams! I love that movie, and the song Dude (Looks Like a Lady) too!

Anonymous

“Love, Simon” From a couple of years ago is a nice little film. A guy from my work took me to see it when it was out. I’d recommend it. It’s un-offensive and a cute story. 🙂

Anonymous

Tootsie, which was the first cross dresser film I ever saw and Priscilla Queen of the Desert is superb, love it x

Here is one that a lot of girls dont know about, “Breakfast on Pluto”. By the same group that did “The Crying Game”.

Anonymous

Some Like It Hot.

Jack Lemmon

Tony Curtis

Marilyn Munroe

Thank you for all the suggestions posted here. There are so many movies I should definitively give a try (and improve my tiny list of movies watched so far).

I’d like to suggest a Netflix series called The House Of Flowers. It’s dramatic, it’s funny (like most of the Mexican productions), there are crossdressers and drag queens (unfortunately they aren’t the main roles but they have a crucial influence during the plot) and, moreover, there are many references of LGBT people and how their love relationships unroll.

By the way, this series was the only one which made me watch all episodes during this year, so it may catch many of you as well.

xoxo

Daisy

Nicky D
      Lady

Two movies that I enjoy  are – man on high heels  is an action movie about tough cop (kinda like a John wick )who fights gangster but just wants to be a women   and the other move is – i am not an easy man  is an romantic movie  about a man who hits is head and wakes up in a world where the gender roles are switch ( this movie is not really a transgender movie but kinda cool to see roles reversed)

A couple I have not heard of Connie and Carla being one I’ll have to catch.

La Vie en Rose .. while not my favorite…. was a good one and I enjoyed Ed Wood with Johnny Depp in the lead. Just Like a Woman and Danish Girl were on the top of my list. There was also a quirky movie “Bruno”???? with Shirley McClain as the grandmother of a young boy who liked to wear dresses.  Gary Sinise played the father of the boy.  I may not have the title right and google was no help.

Good topic.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?