• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Davina.
Viewing 24 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi ladies!

Being a crossdresser is fun, because just like real women, we can experiment with different looks, styles and fashions. We all know that women’s fashions are much more interesting and exciting than men’s are, and women have so many more choices in colors, patterns, fabrics, designs, etc., that we could probably try a new and different look every day and we’d never try all of them. Isn’t that great? And of course, add in all the different fashion styles that women have had over the ages and the possibilities become almost endless.

So of course, that go me to wondering…

What era is your favorite for women’s fashions? Is it the Victorian era with all those amazing bustles, petticoats, high necklines, layers of fabric and overblown hats? The tight, form fitting hobble skirts and dresses of the 1910s? Or maybe the flappers of the 1920 with those lithe, body hugging dresses, bob haircuts and long necklaces? Perhaps the post-war Donna Reed look of the 1950s housewife, with corset, heels, fully-fashioned stockings, and pearls? Or maybe it’s the hippy chick and flower child of the 1960s with pop art flowers, big, bold colors, and hip hugger jeans? And of course, who can forget the mini skirt?

For me, and for many of us, I love all the styles available to us as women, because it provides us a freedom of expression that we never have as men. But if I had to choose one era, I’d probably say the 1950s, just because I love the Donna Reed look. Women in that era dressed in a very classy fashion, and while there were some really cute casual fashions too (think pedal pushers and cute blouses with a scarf and big sunglasses), the fully dressed and made up look of the stereotypical 1950s housewife is really one of my very favorite looks.

So how about you?

Hugs,

Holly

Hi Holly i like the 50’s look, the everyday dresses they wore were quite nice, then when they dressed up for a night out in their elegant cocktail dresses and looking like a million dollars, what a decade to be a crossdresser, nowadays some women don’t bother dressing up anymore, maybe I’m too old fashioned,

Hugs Rozalyn X 🎀

Gail
        Lady

1950’s.

I feel that was a time when women were truly Feminine, in dress and deportment. Seems most always wore dresses or cute skirt outfits. It’s probably having something to do with when I started dressing in my mother’s clothes. I just adored her Girdles, both OBG and LLPG, cute pastel lacy Slips, Bra along with Stockings attached to the Garters of my Girdle (OOP’S I mean her Girdle). Don’t know if any of you Girls remember but, I believe it was called a Corsette.

Long line Open Bottom Girdle with Bra included that came down from the straps to the OBG Garters, Lovely Satin diamond shaped front panel with a Zip front. I would wear this as often as possible along with a pair of Sheer Reinforced Heel and Toe stockings under my boy clothes.

At times, if there were girls around, I would reach into my pocket and undo one of the Garters and let my Nylons fall under my slacks to be seen just over my shoe.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Gail.

Hi Gail i didn’t wear my mother’s clothes i had an older sister , I used to sneak her lingerie out of the laundry basket and try them on, that’s what started me on my journey, I’m still traveling this journey I’m not sure where it will end up X

Hugs Rozalyn X 🎀

Gwyneth
      Lady

I picked the 50’s. For one reason only! That was Marilyn Monroe’s decade. She oozed sex appeal that no one before or since has matched. And finally, I’m in the lead on one of Holly’s polls!

Gwyn

I always like the disco era, fabulous makeup and great fashions for the girls! Ultra long nails, lashes, I loved doing the smoky eye makeup for that time period and the pouty mouth with lots of lip gloss! Lots of beautiful strappy 5 inch heels that I could actually wear back then, loved it!

Hugs girls, lots of hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

I can find something to like in all the eras from the 40s onward, but I think I go with the 50s most prominently. Not s much the “housewife” look per say, but that look translates into a more modern professional/business look with its emphasis on pencil skirts and dresses, and form fitting attire. Look at Kate Winslet’s wardrobe in “Revolutionary Road” and that’s the look. Not so much the big flowing skirts, but a nice A-line works for me as well.

Anonymous

I think the early sixties was the best era for womens fashions.  Women almost always wore dresses or skirts, usually with stockings and heels.  Glamorous Hollywood actresses like Marylyn Monroe or Liz Taylor oozed sexiness.  If I could be a 19 year old woman,  I would love to live in that era.

Peggy Sue Williams
      Duchess - Annual

I am a southern girl, a Georgia peach.

When I cross dress, I love being treated like a lady.  In male mode, I treat a lady with all due respect.

My favorite era for women’s fashions is the Antebellum period, which is considered by most to be the American period between 1812 and 1861.  If you have seen pictures of women during this period, their dresses are circular, full, colorful, and very beautiful!  They wore hats and carried parasols.   Of particular interest were the numerous undergarments, which had to be put on in a specific order and often with assistance.

Over the years, I had a few rare opportunities to dress completely as an Antebellum woman.  The clothing did not belong to me and was on loan from a historical organization.

We have a few museums in the area which use female guides who are attired  in Antebellum dresses.  A while back I very discreetly mentioned the possibility of working as a volunteer, which would include dressing in Antebellum female clothing.  Times are changing, but this would be something totally new, so we will see.  The subject remains open.

Gwyneth
        Lady

I was in Hiawassee and Helen, GA this past week. I would have loved to meet you as this southern belle!

Peggy Sue Williams
          Duchess - Annual

Hi Gwyneth,

Hiawassee & Helen are up north in the mountains.

I am down here in the Atlanta metro area.

Hope you have a great day!

Hugs…Peggy Sue!

Anonymous

Peggy Sue, some of those gowns from that time were absolutely stunning and beautiful! If you are able to work as a female volunteer, you’ll have to take a lot of pictures to share with us here!

Hugs,

Holly

I would definitely go with the 50’s. Woman always wore dresses and heels and would never think of going out without hosiery on. Oh, those garter belts and girdles with fully fashioned stockings. Just warms my heart thinking about it.

Hugs,

Emily

Anonymous

Emily, I so know what you mean!

Hugs,

Holly

I said 70s because that is when I started wearing my Sister’s and Mother’s clothes, I very fond memories of my Mother’s Vanity Fair Panties and her Pantie girdles, My sister’s both had Danskin exercise wear that I loved and of course the pantyhose was amazing!! so it is 70’s for me.

Can’t choose only one. I would say 50’s, 60’s and 70’s although I do have items considerably later than that. I have also been known to cross decades with an outfit if I like how it turns out.

I chose the swinging sixties for the fun and action.   But, I also like the 50’s for style and glamour and the 70’s for color.  Thanks Holly for another groovy question.   Marg

Like many of us older mature CD’s, my childhood was growing upi in the 1950’s. The Televison era o of femininize women dressing fashionably. Donna Reed, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows best, Ozzie and Harriet, and I was actually underdressing in lingerie and stockings in 5th and 7th grade to school.

I remember fondly the look of those housewives and TV mothers in flared shirtwaist dresses, petticoats, high heels. girdles slips, choker peals necklaces, seamed stockings, coiffured hair, perfect makeup. The epitome of femininity and class. Sadly, a bygone era. The closest you see now are 50-year-old reruns of Lawence Welk.

But the memories stay with me, and I wanted to look and dress just like them.

Kelly Lee
      Duchess - Annual

Now it depends a little on what aspect to go by, the look, practicality put it on and wear it or work in it.

Victorian era:
      love to try it out, the bustles, petticoats, corsets, huge hats. Just can’t image wearing it in say southern states in the summer without getting a heatstroke in 5 minutes.

1910s hobble skirt:
      Have some and love to wear them. Is ok as long as I don’t have to walk in stairs or have extremely high (unstable) heels. It does make sure you take short steps.

1920s flapper look:
      might be practical but no thanks

1940s post-war:
      I can pass on this also (pants – yuck)

1950s housewife look, cute and casually feminine:
      Now we talking, looks good, somewhat easy to put on and pretty practical.

1960s flower child, hippy chick, mini skirts:
      good but not interesting

1970s disco queen:
      good but not interesting

1980s big-shouldered styles, leggings, hair bands
      Interesting and a good runner up

Other
      so, my pick is
      1 – 50s
      2 – victorian
      3 – 80s
      4 – 20s

/kelly

what a decision . I love them all if the enviroment allows it. Been to sixties parties in mini dresses and boots as well as 50’s parties in A line dresses and heels but never to a Victorian party where I know I. would love it. That is my wishlist

i said other for i did not see house wife , but dressing up to today world of looking pretty and sexy.

I chose the 50s look I think the woman of the 50s was the best dressed in history. I like everything about the 50s era.A woman or girl of the 50s in my opinion was dressed tastefully most always looking like a lady a skirt or dress was everyday attire in pants and a blouse they still looked like well dressed ladies. A girl or woman didn’t go out looking sloppy or slutty, she took pride in how she looked and was not showing off too much of what should not be seen. The dresses ,skirts and blouses of the day I think were very attractive the whole package including hair and makeup was very well put together.I won’t go out saying there isn’t any well dressed ladies out there today but there are fewer and farther away. I still like it when I see a nicely dressed woman out there and when I am out alone of with my wife I think it or even say to my wife sometimes doesn’t she look nice tastefully dressed looking like a lady or in more cases doesn’t she look in the mirror how can you go out looking like that. sometimes it literally is hard to fathom how bad some of the women of today dress. And there have been in the past bad fashion but I think things have and are going down hill as is the rest of the world we live in.

I picked 40’s but I also love 50’s. I think those 2 decades were most feminine and just perfect. Not over the top but just such pretty styles from daily dress to formal.

So many choices so little time. Victorian Era had so many beautiful gowns, but I also love the 50s and 60s. Poodle skirts, pretty blouses . Oh if I could buy all of the fashion and wear them all

Janet Woodham
      Duchess - Annual

I am with you on the 1950s housewife look Holly. I like the idea of being that in many ways.

I do also have a soft spot for the Regency era in England and the Jane Austin look though although that would be occasional treat rather than every day.

Mary Priscilla
      Duchess - Annual

I voted “other.” While I love to experiment with different styles from contemporary to today, if I am dressing for a social gathering, I prefer to wear what you would found at a cocktail party or formal dinner.

Mary Priscilla

I am late to the party but I loved the early 60s look – no so much the hippy chick of the late 60s. My style would be more like Peggy and Joan from “Mad Men”.

Holly,
      Any era that includes dresses and heels with nice hair and tasteful makeup is my favorite.

Gwyneth
        Lady

So… not the era of the last 20 years or so! I wonder if the ladies know what they’ve given up?

Smartina
      Duchess

Regency (early 19th century, when Victoria was still a princess) with empire waist and bonnet, the Jane Austen era look. For a brief decade or so the corset was put away and styles self-consciously model the Ancient Greek – loose and comfy. Otherwise, the ankle-length dresses with bustles and crinolines, etc. were a bit too conservative for me, although I do try to emulate the Edwardian lady’s corset regime, for my shape. I also love the era immediately following the Edwardian but pre-WW1. Think “Titanic” era costume, when designers like Lucille put the corset away for good and paved the way for the flappers, who established the freedom of dress that women enjoy today, not just shorter dresses without corsets, but all kinds of bloomers and pants as well. Finish with the early 60s, Jackie Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, just before haute couture was overthrown by the boutiques of Carnaby Street, or the suburban look of Elizabeth Montgomery in “Bewitched”. That’s not to say I don’t like a miniskirt or minidress as well! I also quite like current 21st century fashion of high-waisted shorts and crop-tops.

Anonymous

hola chicas  como han estado? espero que bien, well first I want to say hello to all of you, hello sisters and friends I hope you are all well and in harmony with yourself, I think I chose the 80’s when I grew up, I loved lycra leggings and dresses with wide shoulder pads and all fashion in general, how about Daysy’s shorts in the dukes of hazzard, or erin’s costumes in buck rogers, also at that time they began to publish lingerie on tv in satin and silk and with lace that I like a lot, all those references make me love that time, how about julie newmar as catwoman, I liked her but at the same time I wanted to dress like her with that beautiful and sexy catsuit, well that’s all my opinion for now, then I’ll read them in another interesting question from this wonderful site for women like us hugs, abrasos para todas  felicity

Davina
      Lady

The women and old teens of the 1950-1965 time period, looked the best in my opinion. Lovely dresses, blouses/skirts, full lingerie and heels. Wonderful hair styles from their weekly beauty salon visits. Wonderful gowns at proms and parties. What an amazing time period! That is when I fell in love with crossdressing.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?