• This topic has 33 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by J J.
Viewing 23 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi ladies!

As I was doing my nails, I realized that while I absolutely LOVE having pretty nails as they make my hands look so nice and feminine, that I don’t love really long nails. For me at least, while they do look glamorous, they’re also more of a source of hassle and frustration (and especially if you don’t wear them like that every single day so you get used to them). That’s why I keep my nails trimmed to about 1/4 – 1/2 inch or so past my fingertips. I can shape them so that they look really pretty and feminine when they’re painted, yet they’re not so long that they get in the way. That length also lets me keep them like that when I’m in male mode without too much problem (usually closer to 1/4 inch).

So of course, that got me to wondering…

What length do you keep your fingernails?

Hugs,

Holly

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

I put other because while I try to let them grow out some, there are two issues to deal with; explaining why they’re long to family and I keep breaking them. So, I let them grow out as long as I think I can get away with and trim them when I have to. I do use press on nails at times but prefer my natural nails painted pretty.

Hugs, Liara

Cassie Jayson
        Duchess

I usually go to the salon and get tips then what ever pretty color I feel at the moment.
        I prefer just under half an inch and often let them grow just a little longer. BUT now in the winter time at my work I cannot let them grow over a quarter inch so once I retire I can go with longer nails all the time.

. Cassie

Angela Booth
      Hostess

I keep them just past the finger tip and file them into shape. I do let them grow on but, invariably, get a break and have to match the rest with the broken one. They look quite nice once painted though….

Normally, an eighth to a quarter inch if going ‘au natural’. A quarter to a half inch if ‘faux’.

My nails have been growing much faster since I started taking a Collagen supplement. I’ll let them grow to a 1/4 inch or more and wear them like that for a week or so and trim them back. Seems like in no time they are back to being long again.

Anonymous
        Lady

Do you really think the collagen makes a difference? Are they any stronger?

I’ve been taking it for about 10 weeks now. I was hoping it would provide some benefits for my skin after years of neglect. So far I have seen a noticeable difference in my skin, hair and nails. I don’t know if my nails seem any stronger but they are growing like crazy.

Anonymous
            Lady

That sounds pretty good. Did you do some research that helped you pick out the collagen that you’re using? What did you choose?

I did. It started after reading a thread here at CDH on the subject. It seems the most popular is a powder form that has to be mixed into some sort of a beverage. I knew that wasn’t going to work for me because I wouldn’t stick with it. I found a brand called NEOCELL and went with their super collagen Type 1 & 3 + C + biotin in tablet form I take 3 every morning as part of my daily routine.

Anonymous
            Lady

That sounds good. I’d rather swallow a pill.
            What does a 3 pill habit cost/day?

Not much, about 25 cents.

Anonymous
            Lady

Super! I’ve been thinking about trying it but I thought it was always powder.
            Thanks, I’ll do it.

Anonymous
            Lady

I ordered 2×270 from Amazon at noon.

Holly,
      I have always had long fingernails. Having them short drives me nuts! But I do keep them about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch in length. Right now it’s winter time and dry and my nails will split so I keep a coating of clear coat or strengthener painted on my. Matter of fact my wife first did them for me this winter. I just got finished cleaning them off and re-applying some clear coat. The SO is away for the day and was contemplating putting on some red polish down on them.

That’s one thing I like to look for in woman are their nails. Are they too long or too short, painted or not and what color. You can tell a lot about a woman by her nails.

LL

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

My nails are usually about 1/8″ past my fingertips. I try to grow them a little longer but they break easily.

Misty M.
        Lady

Same here but i try to try if i could have them long enough

Hi Holly,  I usually trim then to 1/4 inch and keep them well shaped.  I can still do work with them but they look mom’ish  which is more like what I actually am (actually more grandma’ish).  I see alot of active women with nails like mine and it seems that we all do the same thing when glamming up and going out.  We paint them, get them done or use press-ons.  Thanks for this interesting survey.   Marg

I am supposed to keep mine at 1/4″ past the fingertips or less. However, it’s not enforced so mine are closer to 1/2″, almond shape. I used to do coffin but I found it is much easier to pick things up with the almond.

The SO doesn’t like them to be in her face so I try to keep them a neutral color with a couple of accent nails with nail art.

Getting nails done is definitely the high point of my day.

Love,

Tommie

Hi Ladies,

I’m a fulltime girl so my nails are always just shy of half an inch past my fingertips, you can see them if you take a quick peek at my photos. They are my own with gel overlay, I’ve learned to live with, and am quite used to them, as I’ve had them now for over a year.

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Syndee
      Lady

I answered short but that is only because I am required to keep them short. On long weekends or if I have the chance I will have them about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch past my finger tips. I have dip powder nails that I do myself and paint them on the weekends. I tend to go from one extreme to the other with my nail color. It is either a neutral color like a light pink or brown tones, or I go to the other side of the spectrum and go bright red, bright almost florescent pink, blue or black. I love doing my own nails and painting them. I wish I could keep them painted all the time.

Julie
      Lady

I get them cut in half, colored, make sure their shape stays round sweetie. They do get long after a month so then I go back to the Nail Salon for my nails and eyebrows or just my nails. I am a bad woman! I do not do something to make them stronger so they break at long lengths usually. All of that is why I picked the answer. Long, but manageable, 1/4 – 1/2 inch past my fingertips

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

very short a/. I’m “so ancient” they break if I try to grow them long. In winter this is murder or pantyhose. Plus they look like a farmer well ploughed  field. All straight deepish lines.

I used to love using press on nails, but even when I used the extra little press on sticky tabs before the self adhesive nails they still came off.

So I’ve given up..

Caty.

Anonymous

Grrrr I’ve been trying so hard to grow my fingernails long but every time I get somewhere something happens where they get messed up and I have to start over.  Yes everyone, I’m one of those girls who goes “oh, I chipped a nail”.  So frustrating!  I know I could wear fake nails but I really want to grow mine out.  Now, if I ever manage to get them long, I couldn’t make them too long.  I’m a computer programmer and I type all the time and I noticed the last time I was getting them long I had to change how I typed, which didn’t feel great.  So I’ll probably never have the long nails I want, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

I voted other as I keep mine fairly short, but I usually let them grow a little past my fingertips, although probably no more than an 1/8 of an inch at most.

Karen xx

Anonymous
      Lady

I keep mine clean, shaped oval and let them grow out about a quarter inch or so long before one breaks and I have to trim again… uggh! I take biotin and use a clear gloss coat of strengthening polish but not sure if it helps much.

I usually keep mine about 1/2 inch in length.  I love to use a darker polish which shows beautifully against my skin tone

Anonymous

Mine vary in length weekly for a couple of reasons. I like them long but they break/crack easily and I play guitar so one hand generally has to have short nails especially if I have a gig coming up. If I didn’t play guitar I’d probably invest some time researching the brittle nail problem.

— Abbie 🥰

I would like to have longer nails, but they are thin and brittle, so if I let them get more than short they will split, bend backward or tear. I try to keep a little white showing on the tips, and I use clear base and top coat. Toes are the same, but for them I add a layer of pink sparkly polish. Not only pretty, but adds a distraction from my size 12’s.

Anonymous
      Lady

OTHER – Really short so they don’t chip and to make it easier to keep the greasy dirt cleaned up.

I’m making a guess here, because I just cut them all short for the first time in a few years, so they’ll grow out uniformly before the Keystone Conference in a month.

I think people really overestimate their nail length. I keep my nails long, and they’re somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inch (looking at a tape measure at the end of my finger). My pinky and ring finger may get a bit longer than the other fingers which tend to break or snag at some point. I don’t think I could keep my fingernails 1/4 inch; putting a tape measure to it, that is pretty long. An inch? That would be like adding another joint to my fingers. Even 1/2 inch is the width of my pinky.

I don’t have the time or energy to do press-on nails. My thumb is too wide for most nail kits (I’d need a woman’s toenail to fit on my thumb). I don’t even have time for polish, because it doesn’t fully dry and has to be taken off at the end of the day (I usually have to go out early the next morning).

So I do keep my nails long, but even 1/4 inch is probably too long.

ChloeC
      Duchess

Hi Holly, I would love to have longer natural nails, but they almost all have those striations on them and they all crack like crazy along one or more on each nail.  I try to keep them filed, smoothed, manageable, but if I accidently shove my hand out against anything at all (even wet sponges, I swear), they chip and crack.  I then run to my manicure set and trim them back as best as possible and start again. I’d be happy if most of them just got to the edge of my fingertips.  Right now it appears 4 of them have made it to the edge, tho one is starting to chip and one not quite there has started.  Oh well.

I did have press-on nails some time ago, but they all got used up one way or another.

Hugs , ChoëC

I voted other since I keep them beyond my tips but in the range of 1/16 to 1/8 inch.  I like to file the sides so the fingers appear thinner and more delicate.  I would let them go a bit longer but my wife doesn’t like it when they get too long.  It is one of the many things I have noticed that women need to deal with that require more time.  I use to just clip my nails short. Easy, peasy and very little time and effort involved.  Leaving them long enough to look decent when polished but short enough to satisfy the wife and not break too easily is an extra chore but a pleasantly girly one.

J J
      Lady

Mostly short so I am less prone to breaking them…another consequence of getting older. At times I let them grow a bit and shape them at the 1/4 to 1/2 inch length. Recently I started using impress nails so I can go longer for outings.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?