Viewing 44 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

What was your favourite American or British television comedy show?

Wasn’t really into American shows, but M.A.S.H was definitely my American favourite followed by I love Lucy.
      Of the British television Comedy shows there’s so many

Yes minister/Yes Prime Minister, I’ve the full box set

Only fools and horses

Steptoe and Son

Open all hours/Still open all hours

Porridge/Going Straight

“Allo Allo”

To the manner born

Keeping up Appearances

The Good Life

Dad’s Army

Riding Damp,

The fall and rise  of Reginald Perrin

Faulty Towers

Are you being served

Love Thy neighbour

Bless this House

Get some in

One foot in the grave

Ever decreasing circles

Man about the house

Terry and June

George and Mildred

Agony

There are others like Citizen Smith, Monty Python’s flying circus, Tripper’s Day, Blackadder.
      I’m sure there’s many more.

Out of these I loved M.A.S.H Alan Alda as Hawkeye Pierce, Gary Burghoff as Radar, Loretta Swift as “Hotlips”, Jamie Farr as Klinger ,Harry Morgan as Colonel Potter. Why I loved this although it came under comedy there was also a serious side to it. While these weren’t real characters, it was based on what an Mobile Army Surgical Hospital would have faced during the Korean War in the 1950’s. Although it was American it didn’t take any side where injuries where concerned. It really showed the horrors of this war. It should very much the human side of these people. Brilliant, thought the television series was better than the film.

On the British side, Yes Minister /Yes Prime Minister. I worked for my Local Council for 42 years and I could identify with it. I know this was very much tongue in cheek, but I believe broadly is how the British Civil Service works. I’ve the complete box set. Only fools and horses what can one say? I identify with Trigger. I began my job in the Council as a road sweeper and we had characters like Trigger. For me Only Fools and Horses exemplified a lot of ordinary working class trying to make their way in life by ducking and diving.

I could write so much more, but in closing I don’t think there’s any really good comedy series now. Most of the above mentioned wouldn’t be PC now unfortunately.

I’m sorry for this long rant

Love

Liz

Elizabeth,

Do yourself a favor and seek out
      “Green Acres”
      An American sitcom from the sixties with roots in radio comedy (see Wikipedia for more details).
      Totally whacked.
      A gut-busting, snot-bubble funny show that’s still crazy after all these years.

You/we deserve a good laugh and “Green Acres” delivers. Enjoy!

Thanks for asking.
      -joanne

Oh Joanne, I forgot about that one. Now you’ve mentioned it The Beverley Hillbillies, F Troop, Dusty’s Trail, Petticoat Junction and Happy Days.

Anybody else please mention. Sorry about that Joanne

Liz

Elizabeth, I didn’t see ‘Allo, ‘Allo in your list. 😀

“>

Michaela I was meaning to introduce it.
        What character would you like to be?
        I’d like to play Michele of the resistance or Kim Hartman who played Helga, could get to wear those lovely black seamed stockings and black skirt. Couldn’t play Mimi because of my height.
        I’ll include it now,

Liz

Krissy
        Lady

What a classic “allo allo’ was! I used to dream of being one of the girls in Renee’s cafe. They were so stylish and were ladies after my own heart ❤ not scared to show a bit of leg and be totally hilarious too. 😆

Which of the cafe girls would you like to be Krissy?

Liz

Krissy
            Lady

I always saw myself as a the Vicki Michelle character or maybe helga as used to love her sassyness x

Anonymous

aaaaaaaaaagh…Rene!!!!!

Krissy
            Lady

Back then there were so many great comedy shows! They just don’t seem to be able to make shows like ‘allo allo’ ‘ are you being served” them kinda comedies. Which is a real shame 😕

Anonymous

Hi Elizabeth, I watch porridge all the time on the yesterday channel, I watch dinner ladies with Victoria Wood that’s another good comedy show , only fools and horses too ,

I like a lot of the older shows some of these new ones are not funny in my opinion,

Open all hours,

I’m not sure if anyone knows this but Harry H Corbett who played Harold Steptoe in Steptoe and Son was a Shakespeareian actor before he took up comedy acting ,

Hugs Roz X

Rozelyn thank you for your post. I knew that about Harry H Corbett he also appeared in Carry on Screaming.I agree with Wendy the comedy shows today don’t hold a candle to the old ones.

Your also right about Dinnerladies and Absolutely Fabulous.
        Liz

Harriette
          Lady

I was wondering if anyone would mention Absolutely Fabulous. Good for you.

We gave up TV decades ago, so my exposure to comedy is ancient and incomplete, some here and there.

Krissy
        Lady

I’d Harold steptoe was one of the finest Shakespearean actors ever! Plus one of the best comics too. Sadly missed. 😥

Three’s Company tops the list.  Growing up, I watched every episode; it as absolutely hilarious watching Jack’s antics and how he tried to hit on his room mates from time to time.  As well, I adored Janet’s clothing style in the later episodes, as that is the style I am wearing now (tight black pencil skirt, not the poofy blouses but more modern tops).

Others on the list include Jeffersons, all in the family, benson, sandford and son, and silver spoons.  There are probably a who slew of others I used to watch back in the day.

More modern ones include Friends, King of Queens.

Hate to say it, but sitcoms today just aren’t that funny.

Leonara
        Ambassador

You are so right.. I loved those comedies too..
        However, I do have to add M.A.S.H. and Hogan’s Heroes…

Anonymous

loved those 2 shows specially with klinger dressing as a woman trying to get out of service.

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Elizabeth,

Absolutely, I love comedies.

I’ve got the three volume box set of Faulty Towers dvds.  And along those lines, Monty Python is another favourite.

Over on the west side of the Atlantic, I really enjoyed the Beverly Hillbillies, Get Smart, Mork & Mindy.  Oh and I totally forgot about Frazier. I love the intelligent comedy and repartee between cast members.

I put MASH into its own special category – it could be a comedy, a drama, or a heart lifting inspiration.

Thanks for the question, Have a lovely rest of the week, Hugs, Krista.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Krista.

Oh Krista I forgot about Mork and Mindy Pam Dawber and Robin Williams Nano Nano. Shea’sbat.
        Liz

Krissy
        Lady

When i was a teenager i used to love ‘ allo allo’ funny as anything and had some great pairs of legs on the show that inspired me to lose the leg hair back in the 80s! Been hairfree ever since.

Mork and Mindy for American shows, and Dad’s Army and The Benny Hill Show for UK shows!

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

Frasier is my favorite American comedy and Monty Python is my favorite British comedy.

Hugs, Liara

Another American one is Get Smart. I think Liara would be brilliant as Agent 99, played by Barbara Feldon. I wouldn’t like to cross you girl.😂😂😂

Liz

Liara Wolfe
          Duchess

Get Smart was a good show. I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for the vote of confidence Liz. Of course I would have to have darker hair, LOL.

Hugs, Liara

If anybody can do it Liara you can.
            Another one is Police Squad starring Leslie Neilson

Liz

Liara just remembered Maxwell Smart in Get Smart it was Don Adams I think.

Liz

Anonymous

I love sitcoms, my favourite American shows would be Cheers and Frasier, both incredibly well done and the casts just play off each other so well but a special note to WKRP in Cincinnati, what a bunch. From the sleepy salesman Herb to the quiet and sultry Bailey Quarters, hilarious.

From the English side Monty Python the  topper for sure and of course On the Busses, classic.

Heather yes On the buses, films also made of it “I hate you Butler”.
        Very funny

Thanks

Liz

Anonymous

Loved the movies, saw them at the drive in. I’ve got my eye on you Butler, Insp. Blakey, he was keen on Stan’s mom.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

Now that got me thinking. As I am U.K based and getting on in years there are a lot of the U.K comedies mentioned already. So what were the U.S. comedies aired in the sixties on U.K. T.V I liked?

My first recollection was a comedy I had to think hard about. The reason for remembering it was that I was allowed to stay up a bit later to watch it and that programme was ‘My three sons’. I recall the three sets of legs at the start and not much else!

The Lucy show, My favorite martian, The aptly named ‘Petticoat Junction’, Car 54, Beverley Hillbillies, I dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, F troop, Munsters , Adams family and the Andy Williams show – The cookie monster and the Osmonds!

Aaah memories…..

Anonymous

Liz…..

This is mission impossible…I could name 20….and miss out 20 more….

I could not possibly pick a favourite….at the moment I’m enjoying  Victoria woods wonderful ” dinner ladies “….how I miss her!!!

but next week it could be Dibley…or Peckham…..and Victor Meldrew is my god….as I said…it’s just not possible….enjoy them all…

Laughs, grace xx

Anonymous

Love the lists – so much classic humour. It would be unkind to choose. My own
        Involves those unforgettable moments with” Only Fools And Horses”.
        May I make a plea for the wireless( sorry transistor- sorry radio) the thing with no pictures!!
        “ISIHAC” I’m sorry I haven’t a clue “.
        If you have ever been to a live recording you will know the pain of aching side.
        Tears of laughter. Oh the memories.
        I miss Humph. ( tear in eye).
        What a delightfully upbeat article- thank you( hahahahahahaha I’m laughing still)
        An ( ha)xox

Too many to mention!

A few I didn’t see on your list just for starters:

Not The Nine o’clock News

The Young Ones

The Mary Whitehouse Experience

Love Laura

loved The YoungOnes!!

Anonymous

Yes. That was an hilarious show.

Ladies there are so many I could name. There where I forgot or others that I wasn’t overly keen on, but it wasn’t my intention to deliberately leave one that some girl would like.
      Another one that came into my mind Hi di hi.
      Now among our ladies who’d be Peggy played by Sue Pollard and who’d be Gladys Pugh played by Ruth Maddoc ?
      Any suggestions girls?

Liz

Sylvia
      Lady

Dear Elizabeth ,

British comedy :

Fawlty Towers ,  Dad’s Army , Keeping up Appearences , Man about the house ( George and Mildred ) , It ain’t half hot mum , come to mind.

No contemporary ones that I can think of i’m afraid , do like some of the stand up performers from “Live at the Apollo”.

I also remember a very funny short comedy movie called “The Plank” ( tv version ) with Arthur Lowe , and the Pink Panther movies of course with Peter Sellers ( who can forget his movie Dr. Strangelove , briljant ).

American comedy :

All in the Family , MASH , Cheers/Frasier , The Nanny ( loved those outfits from Fran Fine , one of my role models as a beginning Crossdresser I’m afraid ) ,

also Mork and Mindy with the great late Robin Williams .

Movies :

Airplane ! , National Lampoons Christmas Vacation , The Blues Brothers 1980 (epic).

French comedy : Louis de Funes / Bourville movies.

And a lot more from the past that I have forgotten.

Not enough comedy being made today sadly , we could use it in these covid-times.

Love Sylvia.

Anonymous

love seinfield  best 2nd is southpark

Hugs
      Donna

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

I guess for now my favorite is the big bang theory. I guess i love how even though Sheldon is the smartest person where ever he goes ( just ask him) he is totally clueless on any kind of relationships at all. Actually all these smart guys are somewhat clueless.
      In the past have loved Mash,Get Smart and many other shows also.
      At one time we used to stay up late to watch Monty Python, in the late 70’s it was often run late at night on public television here.
      Every nce in a while will come across an old tv show flipping through the cable channels like one day at a time, with Valery Bertinelli. Loved that show.

. . .Cassie

CBC News!

No! No!

Just kidding!

That’s just my fourth or fifth favourite comedy show.

Actually I liked Ernie Kovacs.

Araminta.

Just ran across your post.  Yea, Kovacs and  Steve Allen. You are my age!  Absolutely love the cbs comment.  We need to talk.  Regards. Lorraine

While not ROFL sort of funny, I enjoyed every season of “Doc Martin”. The relationship between Louisa and the Doc developed agonizingly slow over the series, from clumsy romance thru breakups and finally marriage. Really did love that show!

Amy Oxley
      Lady

British –

Doc Martin/Kenny Everett TV Show/Red Dwarf/Bless This House/Faulty Towers/Young Ones/Blackadder

American –

Frasier/MASH

Amy Oxley
        Lady

I forgot –

Only Fools and Horses

My Hero (except the last series which was crap)

Ooh yes – Red Dwarf was genius!

Boston Legal was one of my favorites, it was funny, well written, displayed more than one point of view and of course had some crossdressing themes

Tara Ryan
      Lady

Hi Liz,

I agree with Julia about Father Ted, particularly the kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse episode.

I also like The League of Gentlemen and Rab C Nesbitt.

Love,

Tara x

Anonymous

Forgot Father Ted! Brilliant.

Connie

Anonymous

Blackadder, Porridge, MASH, Red Dwarf, Golden Girls, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Dinnerladies (Love Victoria Wood), Frasier.

I love QI on the odd occasion the BBC decide to screen it.

Connie

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

M*A*S*H is certainly a classic among many, myself included, though I loved the earlier ones best – how can you you not love Henry Blake??

Two other favs for me are Frasier, and Home Improvement, which I thought portrayed men quite hilariously! “Lovable idiot” sums Tim Taylor best, lol.

One other one for us girls……  Hot in Cleveland.  Great cast!!!  Betty Whites favorite roll!   If you havent checked it out, do so.  😄

Stevie

ChloeC
      Duchess

Loved several that showed up on PBS – Monty Python of course, Are You Being Served, and at only 13 episodes No Honestly whuch i atill like to rewatch. On American TV there are lots but the Mary Tyler Moore stands out because it was funny and that every other character (except Georgia Engles) went on to star or costar in successful spinoffs or another show (Lou Grant , Phyllis, Rhoda, Love Boat , Golden Girls, even Ted Knight in Too Close for Comfort. Few if any other shows have shown that much success for ensemble cast members.

[postquote quote=589807] Was never a fan of Father Ted, not saying it wasn’t funny.
      Liz

Married…with Children

All the shows that have been mentioned before.

Plus “A Life Goes By”    Another British show that is screening in Australia again.

Peta Mari
      Lady

Most of what was mentioned. But, from an Australian perspective…

The Paul Hogan Show, Hey Hey its saturday night (darryl summers.)

Love thy neighbour. On the buses. Are you being served. Some mothers do have them… (oh Betty) gilligan’s island, F Troop.

Just to name a few

“Happy Days” was one of my favorites as well, though that had as much to do with the actress who portrayed Joanie than anything else. Just about everyone has an adolescent crush on a star they see on screen, and growing up in my turbulent teens mine happened to be Erin Moran. I remember pouring my soul into carefully written fan letters to her and on a couple of occasions an autographed picture of her was sent to me. You may recall that the pop culture phrase “jumped the shark”, which marks a point when a series has passed its prime, originated with this show…specifically the two-part episode where Fonzie goes to California for a screen test and the Cunningham family and friends follow him there for a holiday. While on the beach he gets challenged by the local king of the strand to a waterskiing duel, and then later they up the ante by attempting to jump over an enclosure containing a great white shark. The best thing I remember from that is how hot Erin looked in a ’60s era bikini. Sadly she faded from public view soon after the show left the air and eventually succumbed to cancer a few years ago.

“M*A*S*H” belongs in its own category, in my opinion, as it was alternately a comedy, a drama and a social commentary. You may notice that when they’re in the operating room there’s no laugh track, even when they’re cracking jokes to break the tension, given the reason why they’re in that particular room to begin with. On the polar opposite side of the spectrum from this I also remember “Hogan’s Heroes”, and try to picture the absurdity of operating a sabotage and espionage unit out of a prisoner of war camp in the middle of Nazi Germany. Like “Happy Days” was to Erin Moran this show was a one-hit wonder for its star, the late Bob Crane. There was a movie that came out documenting his brief career and what became of him after this show left the air…his passion for self-produced snuff films features prominently, as does his gruesome murder. The two actors who portrayed the main German characters of Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz, Werner Klemperer and Robert Banner, both fled their homeland before the war, while Robert Clary, who played Corporal Lebeau, the French POW who was part of the unit headed by Colonel Hogan, actually survived the Holocaust. You may also remember Richard Dawson, who played the British Corporal Newkirk, as he later went on to become the original host of “Family Feud”.

Christine

Anonymous

The One and Only “Family Guy”!! They will leave no stone unturned, be it Religions, politics, Transgenders, and anything imaginable.. Genius Writing!! Always an OMG did they really say that!! Brilliant!!

Anonymous

Hi Elizabeth

My favorite comedies are

It ain’t arf hot mum & Nearest and Dearest both British comedies from the seventies.

Love Sarah

xx

British comedies Fawlty Towers and Monty Python, American comedies The office, the 2nd Bob Newhart show though the first one was also very good.

Brandi
      Lady

Hi Liz,

All In The Family – not just  due to social issues put into comedy, but also Edith’s outfits especially her aprons.

The Benny Hill Show – Funny stuff, sexy outfits, the Xdressing.

MASH

Family Guy

The Simpsons

Married with Children

Cheers

Seinfeld

Just to name a few.

Brandi

Staci Gal
      Lady

I have two:

TV series – Green Acres

Movie – Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles, one of the top five funniest movies ever made, I have seen it hundreds of times, “What in the wide wide world of sports is a going on?”

Green Acres, just darn funny.  Back then, and even to this day I enjoy the humor and well as seeing Ms. Douglas’s (Eva Gabor) beautiful “farm” dresses hair style and accessories.  As a kid I saw her beautiful dresses and thought they would be fun to wear.  Now I can, smile.   Staci…

For me, the best TV (I assume you mean television) comedy show would be
      Couplings
      The Green Wing

My favorite comedy of all time? Well I grew up on “the Dick Van Dyke show”. later it became “All in the Family”. Great 1970s satire, Which was based on the British TV show. Finally my all-time favorite – “Cheers”

If you like MASH make sure you see the movie “Battle Circus” with Humphrey Bogart and June Allyson. It shows a truer MASH unit at work, just no comedy.

Rowan and Martin’s Laugh In , hands down. The Farkel family, all the children looked exactly like the neighbor , Ferd  Berfel.   Sammy Davis, “   Here come da judge.”   All In  The Family,  second.  Smothers  Brothers , third.
      If you count movies being on tv.   Best, Dr. Strangelove,  George C Scott doing comedy with Peter Sellers, priceless.  2.  A Shot InThe Dark, best Clouseau movie.  3.  Young Frankenstein, best movie for quotes,  “ he would have an enormous schwanstucker “ but Hackman doing 3 minute scene of comedy is the highlight  of the movie.

MASH, the movie was light years ahead of the tv show.  For those of you who were fans of the tv version and have not seen the movie,  please do.    Screenplay top drawer, Altman direction the best  . Released right in the middle of Nam.

you hit a subject I could go forever.

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

All in the Family
      Seinfeld
      The Three Stooges
      Abbott & Costello
      Cheers
      Frazier
      F Troop
      Beverly Hillbillies
      The Addams Family
      Married with Children

MASH was a novel, then a motion picture. the tv series varies a lot from the movie.

too many to list…most have been mentioned. but nobody mentioned “SOAP”!

Anonymous

I’m now partial to animated comedy shows like South Park, Family Guy, and Rick & Morty, or as my wife likes to call them, “cartoons.”

Their comedy is irreverent and no subject is off limits.

Growing up, and in young adulthood, I watched and enjoyed everything from MASH to Will and Grace to Seinfeld.

For American, Fraiser.

For British, Blackadder

This really dates me, but when i was a kid i really loved the Carol Burnett show.  she and her cast were really funny.

Brandi
        Lady

How about the Dean Martin show and his celebrity roast comedy?

Carol Burnett show is a classic as well.

Brandi

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Brandi.
          Brandi
          Lady

The Flip Wilson Show.

Brandi
          Lady

Last two:

Laurel and Hardy

3rd Rock from the Sun

Brandi

I love Mary Tyler Moore and Bewitched. Love the two stars and the 60’s and 70’s styles.

Bosom buddies!

Of course Oh could forget Benny Hill. The we man with the bald head was Jacky Wright who was from Northern Ireland.
      Also the Dick Emery show. I think be the character who was always on the hunt for a man, or Mandy the blonde bombshell.
      Liz

Sylvia
      Lady

Dear Julia ,
      Of course Benny Hill and his sexy Angels.
      Another British Comedy I forgot : Spitting Image.
      Love Sylvia.

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?