Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

When you first start wearing women’s clothes, how do you know that you are wearing the right size?

Anonymous

First and foremost I would suggest getting a clothing tape measure. Then measure your waist; hips; and chest. There are lots of websites that show you where you need to measure. This will be a general guide to get the right size. But keep in mind that especially with women’s clothes a size 12 is not the same from manufacturer to manufacturer. A lot might be trial and error. There are sites where you can input your sizes and it will tell you generally what size you might be, whether it be for tops; dresses; or skirts.

I hope this helps you. Even with all of this information it is a lot of trial and error. I generally know what size i need for panties/tops/skirts/ but for instance I can wear a size 16 skirt at Old Navy, but might be a 14 or 18 other places.

Good Luck!

I think that if it looks good and feels comfortable – to you – then that’s the main thing. I guess it’s just like drab clothing in that regard. You can always turn to a trusted friend – “Hey, how does this look on me?” My bottom line is still what I see when I look in the mirror. Hope this helps.
      Kisses,
      Fredrika

Agreed. There isn’t much consistency between manufacturers and sometimes even within the SAME manufacturer.

Agreed. Buy a cloth tape measure.

The vast majority of department stores and specialty clothing stores will have a Size Chart for their items. Arbitrarily, I picked this dress from the Kohl’s site:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-5576956/womens-croft-barrow-utility-shirt-dress.jsp?color=Olive&prdPV=23

Just below the sizes available is a link: Size Chart. Click on that and it will bring up the chart.

At the top of the chart is a link: Croft & Barrow Size Chart. Clicking on that will bring up an image that shows how to take your measurements.

My measurements are 46″-34″-46″. According to the Women’s Size Chart, for this brand I would wear an XXL or Size 20. Note that in order to get the Bust to fit, the Waist and Hip will be somewhat oversized. In some other brands, I would wear a Size 18, to highlight the inconsistency.

Also know that how the original designer intends a garment to fit also comes into play. You won’t see this listed, but for example, a dress might be body conforming (bodycon, close fitting), traditional (slightly loose, a relaxed fit) or oversized. None of this will be reflected in the stated sizing. An example of this would be the CHICO’S sizing information. They have created their own scale. This is their Size Chart:

https://www.chicos.com/store/page/size-chart/45

According to them, I would wear a CHICO’S Size 4, or US Size XXL/20. However, I have several CHICO’S lightweight silk jackets. Because they were designed to be oversized and loose fitting for for a CHICO’S Size 3, they fit me just fine.

There are some other brands that also have their own sizing scale similar to what CHICO’S does. I mean, would you rather think that you wear a Size 20 or a Size 4? Basically it is just mental masturbation…

Anonymous
      Lady

You will find it can be hit or miss. Some companies have really good size charts like torrid, Draper James and Karina dresses. Amazon is the worst for sizing issues in my opinion. That’s why I like to go to brick and mortar stores to find and try on clothes. Shoe sizing seems to be pretty standard across companies and reference charts for shoes says to go up two women sizes over your guy size and I find that to be pretty accurate and a wide works best for me. Skirts and denim shorts are a lot smaller than my dress size because of allowing breast forms to fit correctly in a dress and blouse. I suggest you go to a Torrid store and try on clothes. They are very crossdresser and transgender friendly and so is Macy’s. Some Macy’s offers a free styling appointment to try on clothes to see what fits and looks good on your frame.

Another thing that I find to be true is don’t wear baggy clothes thinking it will look better, they don’t. Clothes need to fit closer to look better.

Hi Veronica.  I agree with the other ladies.  Get a cloth tape and get your measurements. To include bra size.

Also go to Torrid and get some help and try on some stuff. If you are uncomfortable with that then knowing your sizes go to Kohls or a similar store and try on some stuff.  Go with a dress that pulls over vs back zip unless you are comfortable with a back zip.  Also for now avoid 100% polyester or chiffon dresses for now since they have no stretch.

Go slow and enjoy it all.

Susan

Misha Monroe
        Duchess

I’ve found Torrid is really Trans/CD friendly.  They’re really helpful about fitting and helping out while you try things on.  Also, they’ve got lots of accessories like bangles bracelets and rings in sizes large enough for our bigger wrists and fingers!

Hi Veronica,  All of these ladies have given you excellent advice.  I have also found that having a tape measure along is an invaluable help.  I always keep a very small retractable one on my keychain and another in my purse  and another in my glovebox.  You can pick one up at a fabric store.  Then when I come along something that I think will fit, I just do a quick measure to help me with my decision.  This is especially useful when thrifting or at yard sales where the size tags may be cut out.  Whenever possible try the garment on in front of a mirror. Don’t worry too much because in time you will begin to have a good idea about what fits and looks good on you.   Hugs,  Marg

Anonymous

Well I have been full time since I was 9 till now at 62 and I have enjoying it. My dad required me to buy my dresses 👗 or make my own dresses. So I worked the farms to buy my own dresses and materials to make dresses. When it comes to size I go by measurements if you are buying online they will have the measurements according to the size, size can change depending on where you buy them. In the store I try them on. When I make them myself I can get them just the way I want them. Sometimes I alter the dresses 👗 I buy. You can hold the Dress up to yourself to get a idea on size. We are glad to have you here and welcome to the site

It has been definitely a hit or miss for me being a plus size girl, I have my measurements and just try and go from there, I have bought a dress in my size and get it home and some have been to tight for me and others have been a tent, other girls are so right fit is not the same with different brands. I wear panty’s always and I go for comfort but do have some sexy one’s too. Bra’s same it took a bit for me to find what fit’s me best. I wish I had the courage of a lot of girls to go try clothes at Torrid, sounds like it would be so much fun…..  Just have fun with it!!!!

I’m starting to figure out now what my female sizes are for clothes.
      It was since I was 13 that I hadn’t fully dressed
      I bought some women’s clothes online on Shein: 4 pants, three sweaters, two long skirts and three long and loose dresses as I like them.
      I have worn them and they are fine, in these days my air hostess suit that I took in anticipation of my trip to Valencia in Spain should also arrive.
      In Valencia I will finally be able to live enfemme 24h a day for the first time ….. Anyone who has read my profile knows what I mean!
      XOXOX from Italy
      Greta ❤️

This was posted here a while back which I found helpful.

Topic: Noob Tips: What’s Your Size ? – Crossdresser Heaven

Hi Veronica,

Welcome to CDH.  You can use a site’s sizing table for a starting place.  But it’s best to try on an item for fit as sizes between stores and different countries can vary.

Alice

Anonymous
      Lady

I used various online sites to try and get an idea, and then for me it was a trial and error experience!
      Being a 40” chest with broad shoulders I knew I’d be bigger on top then bottom. I have come to realise that I’m a UK 16 on dresses, but a UK 10 in panties! If I wear a skirt or suspenders, is has to be a UK 14 because of my wider mens waist! So I’m a mix of lots of sizes! Also, I avoid off the shoulder type clothing because my shoulders are too wide for the womens fit!
      I love choker style dresses as they allow my shoulders room (I only dress at home so I’m not trying to pass)

It is a minefield, but with time you’ll get it!

Oh, and with bras – I find if you are struggling with a band sizes, but some band extenders – that way you may have a great choice of smaller sized bras! Is difficult to find many 40 band bras locally!  Hope this helps xxx

I have a similar sort of disparity, top to bottom. This is the reason behind Separates regarding skirt suits and pants suits. If you buy a 2-piece suit, in say size 16, both pieces are sized as 16. However, if you are a size 16 at the top and something different at the bottom (or vive-versa) it won’t fit properly. Separates made from the same material allow you to buy the correctly sized pieces that will work for your physique.

In my case, typically I wear a US size 18 jacket and size 14 pants and skirts. A 2-piece suit in size 18 would have a skirt or pants that would be too large.

I have done some shopping and I found that it’s best to buy separates because tops and bottoms are not the same size. I wear 2x dresses, 2x tops, 1x skirts and lx panties. When it comes to bras, I’m not really sure yet, about what band size is best. I have 38’s but probably will try 40 and see how it fits. I also tried stretchy jeans, but they don’t look good on me cause my hips are not wide enough.

The only other thing to do would be to buy a suit sized for whatever is the largest and have the other piece altered. However, that can be difficult as fixed things, like pockets, may wind up in strange places.

Regarding jeans, it sounds like some padding would help. There are some high waisted panties that have back and side pads so you can tailor it to what you need…

thanks, it does help a lot.

Anonymous

If you are comfortable shopping in person, trying things on is the best way to find the right size.  Sales staff should be able to help too.  (I know, not everyone can do that or would be comfortable doing it.  I also know that  CDs don’t always get a warm reception when shopping.)

The online clothing retailers I’ve found have size guides based on body measurements.

Another factor in determining if you are wearing the right size is whether or not you are comfortable in the clothes.

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

Lots of good info here so not much to add.

I’ll regurgitate what everyone else said about buying a cloth measuring tape.  You need one.

If your weight changes significantly you should redo your measurements.  It might be time for some new outfits or a trip to the tailor.

Bra fitting is a struggle.  Obviously you’ll need breastforms beforehand.  Do a search for these sites: A Bra That Fits calculator and Herroom calculator.  The calculator on those sites is fairly accurate and will give you a good starting point.  I really like ABTF.  Their calculator has a checkbox for male or female and their forum (Reddit) is very trans inclusive.

Good luck.  Happy shopping!

Becka
      Lady

One trick I used to buy pants;
      I was in a store and picked out a pair of my size in mens jeans.
      Took them to the womens section and held them up to a pair of womens jeans that matched! That worked really well.

Shoe sizes, 2 sizes larger (in general) than your (man) size. E.g. Mens 8 = womans 10 – 10 1/2

Also, just fun trying things on!!!

Given the variance between manufacturers and also within the same one, I always compare measurements. I don’t try on dressers and blouses in stores unless I have brought my hood to prevent makeup transfer. Sometimes I will remember, but often I don’t. Buying online, letter and numerical sizing is useless beyond just getting you into the ballpark.

One thing that I have been pleasantly surprised about is Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans.  They are VERY consistent in my size, size 14. I’ve bought them new and also used in thrift stores. In thrift stores, I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t even try them on anymore.

Perhaps in the past, 2 sizes difference in shoes worked, but anecdotally it seems to be more like a 1 1/2 size difference. It is also a function of the type of shoe. Shoes with less structure are more accommodating. Unless one has really large feet, often the greater problem is the width. The selection falls off considerably when something greater than an M width is needed. Again less structure is more accommodating.

Depending upon the type of men’s shoes, I wear a 9 1/2 or 10. In women’s I wear a size 11. Note how the length compares:

https://www.zappos.com/c/shoe-size-conversion

In a completely enclosed shoe, maybe I would try an 11 1/2, but they tend to be almost impossible to find in heels, so I would use various stretching techniques on a size 11. Anyway, currently all my shoes are size 11…

Becka
          Lady

Very true about the GV jeans. I’ve found the same to be true for the most part with Lucky Brand Jeans. I’ve found some great LB jeans at thrift stores for super cheap! Love the feel and love the little printing on the zipper that reads “Lucky You”.
          🙂

For me it’s trial & error. I nailed the size on my high waisted jeans but I have a few things that are too big. With my bras, I have three sets of forms & all bras fit nicely. Tops are a different story. Still trying to dial in my size. I want tight fitting but need to get my belly in check.

Measure Yourself!

That belly is a problem for us. To much on the workouts looks to male, not enough you get that dad belly! I’m trying too. Wish us luck.

Not really scientific but as I got older and bolder and married,I used my wife’s garments to judge my size. I found out I was a B cup, not a C, a 38 not a 36, a size 20 dress not a 16. Heel size wasn’t even close she’s a 9, in ladies I’m a 15.

Lisa Leigh.

Hi Veronica I’m lucky I’m about the same size as my wife, apart from the standout features she has a bigger bust than me, other than that her dresses fit me and her skirts and tops too, so i have many castoffs i have a rumage through the charity bags before i take them to the shop’s, I’m a size 38A cup bra but because of my broad shoulders i need a size 18’s dress size,

Hugs Rozalyn X

Here are my tips.

1. Try things on. I have skirts that say size 4, and skirts that say size 10, that both fit me well. Only trying things on will really let you know whether or not something works for you.
      2. It’s the right size if you don’t need to mess with it much once you put it on. If you’re constantly having to adjust a skirt, then that’s a sign that it’s probably not the right size. There are other factors too of course, but a good rule is that clothes that fit properly shouldn’t be difficult to wear.
      3. Invest in a flexible tape measure, the kind that are used purposefully for measuring bodies for clothes. Any place that sells fabric or sewing supplies will have one.
      4. There are lots of different ideas and goals among crossdressers, but if you’re trying to pass, fit makes a difference. Because men have wider shoulders and narrower hips on average, we have to think about clothing fit differently. For me, dresses are tricky because my waste size doesn’t correspond with my shoulder size in dresses. Skirts and blouses work much better. As a general rule, anything that makes the hips look wider (the peplum style is a classic cross dressing staple) and the shoulders narrower, is what you’re looking for.
      5. Having just shared the conventional wisdom in number 4, I’ll share something I discovered that seems to contradict it. If I wear a pencil skirt with even basic, minimal padding, and a button front collared blouse, I pass surprisingly well. My theory is that because this is a woman’s look that is attempting to look more masculine (professional office style, narrower hips and wider shoulders), it actually works really well on my body. I think sometimes, depending on the body type, trying to look too feminine can actually make you look more masculine. I don’t know if that makes sense. You can look at my pics and judge for yourself how well this works.
      6. I begin where I started. You really just have to try things on. I have found items i bought because they fit, even if I wasn’t as excited about them at first, but then in time they grew into favorite outfits simply because they looked so good, and that was because they fit. Fit is really key, and to get the best fit you need clothes that work with your body, and the only way to figure that out is to try stuff on and experiment. Which is half the fun after all!

Sizing remains a challenge, but kind of a fun one. As it turns out, my wife and I are close in size, so I started there. My first garments – all of them, bra included – were the same size as hers. I was quick to find out that the variation in actual size was great and a lot of those original purchases were returned. I did better when I took my own measurements, and instead matched them with the size guide shown by most of the online companies. I discovered I ranged in size anywhere from 10 to 14, so I do not refer to myself as being a size anything…it all depends on that guide! If the company does not offer a guide, I move on. Of course, when shopping in person you’ve got to do a try on… which means you have to get past the notion of trying on ladies clothing in the try on room. It has not been a problem for me so far, but again if it is one I just move on. Few stores will pass on a potential sale.

Shoes are easy, think 1 1/2 sizes above your usual size, and that has worked out fine with me, a couple pair with astonishingly comfortable results. With bras I stayed with the same size as my wife. She points out with good humor that my alter ego has big boobs. I remind her that they are the same size as hers. She says all men like big boobs. I think she is right!

Kris

When I first got serious ( not just playthings ) I Googled ” convert womens sizes to mens”. After a few trials that were really close I found out Im a Juniors 11 or Womens 8-9. Also shoe conversion was found that way. Im basically 1 size larger in Womens shoes. Pretty easy for me actually. Panties werent bad either. Seeing as Im a “grower bot a shower” lol I buy panties in either small or medium. Brands vary. VS is almost always small. If they have an elastic leg opening it holds me in better. Small keeps me compact and if I tuck it looks very natural. Just a little mound. Hope this helps
      Riley 💋

I measured myself and did research on how mens measurements relate to womens. There was a little trial and error but not terrible. Just remember Juniors sizes are way different from womens.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?