- Multi color/highlights?
- May 18, 2019 at 10:46 am #178466
Michelle WilmingtonParticipantRegistered On: April 17, 2017Topics: 7Replies: 79Has thanked: 177 timesBeen thanked: 195 times
How many wigs do you own? What was your first one? Do you prefer curly, wave, or straight? Long or short? What’s your favorite style?
- This topic was modified 1 day ago by Gabriela Romani. Reason: Removed yes/no responses as not applicable
- September 20, 2019 at 5:00 am #224814Laura LovettParticipantRegistered On: November 18, 2018Topics: 20Replies: 713Has thanked: 916 timesBeen thanked: 1054 times
I was kinda orange, straight, just past shoulder length at first – I still like the look, but now I’m the sane length, but blonde and slightly wavy.
I have a curly blonde wig for evenings out, a little bit more glam. I had no idea I liked glamming up until I tried it!
- September 19, 2019 at 5:41 pm #224713Alice UnderwireParticipantRegistered On: September 16, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 36Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 40 times
I’ve wanted a shoulder length red wig for a while now.
- September 19, 2019 at 8:09 am #224520Isabelle O’MalleyParticipantRegistered On: May 13, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 17Has thanked: 26 timesBeen thanked: 29 times
Well I’m still saving up for my first but I know it will be brunette with gold highlights (even if I have to color it myself) and slightly longer than shoulder length. I’ve debated simply growing my hair out and coloring it (it still grows like crazy and continues to remain thick and strong but not too thrilled about the grey) but then I remember how much work it was to maintain before I discovered cross dressing.
- September 19, 2019 at 6:47 am #224459Bettylou CoxParticipantRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 3Replies: 255Has thanked: 202 timesBeen thanked: 352 times
The poll results seem to indicate that blondes have more fun. I would like to be able to wear a mid-length blonde wig with a ponytail. But the effect would be unnatural, at best. The GGs in my age range all wear their hair above he shoulder or cut short, and in some shade of gray. So if I want to be at least semi-passable, the choice has been made for me. If only Bettylou had shown herself about 20 year sooner……
- September 19, 2019 at 1:52 am #224393anne-marieParticipantRegistered On: August 26, 2018Topics: 3Replies: 230Has thanked: 277 timesBeen thanked: 251 times
My preference is tightly curled, chestnut brown to the bottom of my shoulder-blades and I prefer long hair to be tied back as its not quite as troublesome that way – can’t stand hair continually flapping in my face.
Take care girls.
- September 2, 2019 at 6:17 am #216413
- August 30, 2019 at 9:20 pm #215401*skippy1965(Cynthia)AmbassadorRegistered On: August 25, 2015Topics: 108Replies: 1185Has thanked: 404 timesBeen thanked: 834 times
When I used to wear them, I preferred brunette/auburn blends. I have over 200 wigs in various shapes/styles/lengths/colors. However I stopped wearing them two and a half years ago as I finally grew my own hair out long enough to not need them (and couldn’t now if I wanted to ’cause my natural hair (in my pics you can see it) is too thick and long to hide under a wig. I kept my natural colors-bend of silver, gray and brunette.
- August 19, 2019 at 9:33 am #209719Deb CoxParticipantRegistered On: July 24, 2019Topics: 0Replies: 15Has thanked: 7 timesBeen thanked: 17 times
I only have blonde and brownish red, which I have fallen in love with. I’m looking for a blonde with red highlights. I prefer to turn heads with my body rather than my blonde hair now. Great question.
- July 15, 2019 at 6:54 pm #198273Bettylou CoxParticipantRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 3Replies: 255Has thanked: 202 timesBeen thanked: 352 times
Because all of the GGs in or near my age group have gray hair, styled short, that is my choice. I currently have only one (by Gabor), but I’m shopping for one or two more for variety.
- July 12, 2019 at 6:38 am #197261
- July 11, 2019 at 6:52 pm #197118Rachel PlainParticipantRegistered On: July 4, 2016Topics: 3Replies: 199Has thanked: 64 timesBeen thanked: 317 times
My first wig was red, shoulder-length, and it’s still how I kind of picture Rachel in my head.
After many years of service I retired it last year, though.
I now have multiple wigs – ten or more – some of which I rarely wear, some of which are really just for cosplay/burlesque/costume wear and a few of which see regular ‘everyday’ rotation. I’ve reached the age where a bob seems most age appropriate, but wear longer if I feel in the mood. I’m not sure if I have a personal favourite, but my friends at work have often said that they like this one:
- May 24, 2019 at 5:56 am #180148JanineParticipantRegistered On: October 25, 2015Topics: 1Replies: 81Has thanked: 37 timesBeen thanked: 109 times
My favorite is a Eva Gabor honey blonde shoulder length wig that I wear most of the time when I get dressed en.femme
The bangs are long enough to cover some of my forehead yet make my face look feminine and it accents my green eyes
- May 22, 2019 at 6:20 pm #179792Michelle LiefdeAmbassadorRegistered On: May 27, 2018Topics: 41Replies: 949Has thanked: 1064 timesBeen thanked: 847 times
- July 11, 2019 at 5:31 pm #197093
- May 22, 2019 at 5:29 am #179642AnonymousRegistered On:Topics: 9Replies: 169Has thanked: 283 timesBeen thanked: 197 times
For me, (speaking as a pro-model and certified Makeup Artist (MUA), pls allow me to bust in and state that I adore black (on myself), and I will take ANY HAIR as I am rather bald (from a distance I resemble a Ban Roll-on bottle with the cap off)! I have collected a rats-nest of wigs and foam heads to place them all one, or the hanger type (which are okay for storage only). I have all manner of black-hair wigs, two identical (what I wear in the photos I’ve two of as they are my daily wear, Sunup to sundown, I don’t care how late or tht I am alone, I dress femme. The other wigs were needed for certain ‘gigs’ (photo shoots), and thus they were picked up along the way. White blonde is something I can rock, redhead (even though I WAS one, doesn’t quite ‘cut it’ anymore!), Ombre’s wigs, hair falls, Weps of all manner of Brasilian Hair, as I find it tantalizingly soft and very tuff stuff! Umm, one grey to white ombre synthetic wig and WOW IS IT SOFT! Hot too! For those who don’t mind spending, I recommend that you find a “lace front’ or full lace-wig ….they are sooooo light and airy, and ultra-realistic after they’ve been ‘cut in’ for YOUR face. Why not get the stuff and try making your own? It’s NOT difficult, cuz I’ve made three with little or no hassle ….just takes time and the savings is worth it as well. I have wavy, ‘blown’ and straight-as-a-board types of hair.
- May 21, 2019 at 8:31 am #179350T.J. ByronParticipantRegistered On: October 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 86Has thanked: 2 timesBeen thanked: 125 times
Yeah, I have 3 , a silver- ish ( I am 73 in October), a black, curly, short style, and the one I wear most, red-ish short.
Wife has had some in the past, she rarely, if ever wore, But I Did. One of the granddaughters asked for it and it was Gone!
I used the wig lady in NASHVILLE, who put hair on Dolly’s head.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- May 21, 2019 at 1:55 am #179290EmilyParticipantRegistered On: April 30, 2016Topics: 8Replies: 269Has thanked: 822 timesBeen thanked: 341 times
Currently have 4. My favorite is a short, brown, wig made of real hair. also have a longer strawberry blonde one for when I’m feeling a bit sassy. 😉👩🏼🦰👩🏻
- May 20, 2019 at 1:50 pm #179211Olivia LivinParticipantRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 809Has thanked: 1250 timesBeen thanked: 836 times
Although I don’t use them very often, I have two. The shoulder length brunette one is a curly/wavy style that I like, the other is shorter, darker and more of a bob cut…meh.
I looked at one in a kind of thrift store that had blonder highlights in it that I really liked but didn’t pick up at the time, it wasn’t there two days later, dang!
- May 20, 2019 at 11:54 am #179180Amy MyersParticipantRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 4Replies: 347Has thanked: 608 timesBeen thanked: 456 times
I have two, both brunettes, as its’ close to my natural colour, and I think it suits me more than a blonde one would.
The first, and the one I usually wear is kind of a layered look with soft curls, and about shoulder length. A bit younger looking than my real age (65), but I am fortunate that I don’t show my age, in or out of femme, so I think it suits me. I just bought another, shorter one, thinking it will be good for summer.
Though the jury is still out on it, as the hair falls over my face at times, and I feel like a sheepdog, a female one, of course. Don’t know if I need hair clips, or if should be trimmed a bit. I am thinking of taking it to my barber, for some help with it, she’s a very cool lady that I’m confident would be accepting, but sitting in the shop being cut is another thing.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- May 20, 2019 at 7:27 am #179110Anne PreussParticipantRegistered On: December 13, 2018Topics: 2Replies: 344Has thanked: 463 timesBeen thanked: 413 times
I chose other because I have a grey hair Tomboy wig that is just lovely and suits me perfectly. Being older, I feel the short style and the grey color complement my facial features perfectly. I see older ladies be they GG or CD with colors that are in such stark contrast to their older facial features that their hair seems totally out of place.
I just bought a second wig that is slightly longer to my shoulders that is softly streaked with soft colors of blonde and brown. I really need some more time with it on to truly decide whether it is a good choice for me or not.
- May 20, 2019 at 5:28 am #179074Tiffany AlexisFounderRegistered On: March 28, 2019Topics: 29Replies: 664Has thanked: 999 timesBeen thanked: 1213 times
Currently, I have only the one, it’s my first, and it’s in what I like to think of as “tifftacular red”.
- May 20, 2019 at 5:57 am #179095Michelle WilmingtonParticipantRegistered On: April 17, 2017Topics: 7Replies: 79Has thanked: 177 timesBeen thanked: 195 times
We all have to start somewhere, I would urge you to experiment with different colors, styles, and lengths to see what you like best!
- May 21, 2019 at 7:07 pm #179497Tiffany AlexisFounderRegistered On: March 28, 2019Topics: 29Replies: 664Has thanked: 999 timesBeen thanked: 1213 times
I just did that, and now have a longer, redder tifftacular red wig! I’ll get more I’m sure, even in other colors, but the red feels like, well, me, so im gonna rock it for a minute! Plus I just love long hair, and the way it feels on my back.
- May 19, 2019 at 11:11 pm #179021stephanie plumbParticipantRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 70Replies: 628Has thanked: 675 timesBeen thanked: 1331 times
I usually wear shortish/medium length blonde “bobs with bangs”. My natural skin tone colour. And they suit my face better than longer ones. Middle partings? Forget it! Shrek in a dress.
But lately I have acquired two copper/red wigs. One 35 cm bob (see my public pics) and a slightly longer layered bob…. and I love them! The rich tones make my blue eyes pop! And I think they suit me. I have tried brown before but was not happy with the look.
- May 20, 2019 at 6:04 am #179097ParticipantRegistered On: April 17, 2017Topics: 7Replies: 79Has thanked: 177 timesBeen thanked: 195 times
Until recently, I too thought bangs where the only way to go. but I just bought a middle part long wavey blonde wig, and don’t think it looks half bad on me. See my public pics.
- May 20, 2019 at 8:49 am #179132stephanie plumbParticipantRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 70Replies: 628Has thanked: 675 timesBeen thanked: 1331 times
Yeah….. looks good on you!!! Wouldn’t on me, though. To be fair I have only tried a long straight wig with a centre parting . Looked horrible on me. Will stick with short/medium bobs…. for now.
- May 19, 2019 at 3:11 pm #178933ChristinajaneParticipantRegistered On: October 9, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 13Has thanked: 17 timesBeen thanked: 14 times
I currently have 4 wigs long and mid wavy blonde the mid length with dark roots looks natural – the long one looks great and a short bob that is just fun . I have a straight brunette long bob that makes my face look fat. I am going to get a mid to long wavy brunette soon and really can’t wait for that. Today will be mid wavy 👩💕💄
- May 20, 2019 at 3:11 pm #179231ChristinajaneParticipantRegistered On: October 9, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 13Has thanked: 17 timesBeen thanked: 14 times
Thanks Michelle btw I bought that long Brunette wig yesterday in an open kiosk in a mall and had a couple of girls saying how nice it looked – it felt so nice to get those lovely compliments – going for a long drive today – have fun
- May 19, 2019 at 12:42 pm #178889Jennifer SwansonParticipantRegistered On: April 20, 2019Topics: 26Replies: 110Has thanked: 1937 timesBeen thanked: 320 times
I have 6 wigs- blonde bob, blonde long and curly, brown with blonde streaks shoulder length, Auburn bob, purple shoulder length and red bob. Blonde is most feminine and my favorite.
Perpetual questions – How do you get tangles out? How do you store wigs?
- May 19, 2019 at 2:33 pm #178925melissa la quintaParticipantRegistered On: September 29, 2016Topics: 3Replies: 70Has thanked: 246 timesBeen thanked: 75 times
Hi Jennifer: I see why your fave is blonde; you look so pretty in that wig!
- May 19, 2019 at 12:57 pm #178897ParticipantRegistered On: April 17, 2017Topics: 7Replies: 79Has thanked: 177 timesBeen thanked: 195 times
I store my wigs by turning the caps inside-out and putting them in a plastic bag. I get tangles out by gently working the hair ends with my wig brush back up towards the cap. In severe cases I will simply cut out the tangles removing as little of the hair as possible.
Hope that helps.
- May 19, 2019 at 11:38 am #178870karley delawareParticipantRegistered On: October 23, 2017Topics: 5Replies: 218Has thanked: 624 timesBeen thanked: 277 times
- May 19, 2019 at 7:19 am #178734
- May 19, 2019 at 2:25 am #178675sophie tilsonParticipantRegistered On: October 21, 2017Topics: 0Replies: 29Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 51 times
Long, short, bob, straight, wavy, blonde, black, auburn…. and of course a Marilyn 🙂
Love a different look every day
- May 19, 2019 at 6:07 am #178709ParticipantRegistered On: April 17, 2017Topics: 7Replies: 79Has thanked: 177 timesBeen thanked: 195 times
Wow! Sophie that sounds like a lot of wigs! I have at least 6 to 8 myself, I like long shoulder length or a little more, soft curls or just soft waves. one slightly Marilyn, my oldest. but which is your fav?
- May 19, 2019 at 2:06 am #178669AnonymousRegistered On:Topics: 20Replies: 519Has thanked: 582 timesBeen thanked: 695 times
Brunette with blonde highlights, tapered to 24 inch’s in back, middle parted and full wave. Teased and sprayed to give height and fullness………….I have 20 active-go-to-wigs……….but don’t like straight wigs, and I struggle with blonde………..black mini dress is the only clothing I can get blonde to ‘pop’ with.
- May 18, 2019 at 7:31 pm #178598KristaParticipantRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 5Replies: 98Has thanked: 30 timesBeen thanked: 186 times
While I have two good quality wigs (one brunette & one auburn, both shoulder length with a bit of a wave), I haven’t worn them in almost two years. I haven’t had a hair cut since retiring from work, so my natural hair (a lot of white/gray now with dark brown/auburn ends) reaches down to my bra strap in the back and my nipples in the front. I’m pretty lucky for someone who turns 65 in a couple of months to have a head full of thick hair. But I’m not throwing out my wigs. I imagine one day (hoping not too soon) that I will start getting some male pattern baldness and I’ll need my wigs again. Might as well let it grow while I still can!!!! Hugs, Krista.
- May 19, 2019 at 6:12 am #178712
- May 18, 2019 at 7:00 pm #178591Alison AndersonParticipantRegistered On: October 15, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 33Has thanked: 5 timesBeen thanked: 58 times
My own hair is a very dark brown, like a dark chocolate. It is also long (down to just above my nipples in front or between my shoulder blades in back). It is very fine though, not a lot of volume (I think I got that from my mother) and no balding (which I get from my father). Most of the time I simply add clip-on bangs and I’m good to go. I tend to get curly and frizzy at the ends and have to flat-iron it several times a week even when not dressing. I have reached the point where most of the time I don’t even put it in a pony tail in guy mode; I just wear it down.
I have been coloring out the little bit of grey I get (it is just in the front but with my long hair combed back it is very noticeable; when it was shorter and I combed it to the side it was less obvious). After coloring out the grey with my natural color, the bangs are an almost perfect match. Sometimes you can see the difference in reflectivity with a harsh flash, but with the naked eye the match is too close to call.
I have tried lighter shades of brown or blond, but the color just looks wrong on my face. So I tend to stick with dark brown or black. The wigs are mostly straight, although some curve around to frame my face.
I have one red wig I bought for a themed party. It was meant as a one-time thing and I was thinking of just getting a Raggedy-Ann wig. But I found a red wig online and a quick photo-editing showed it was a decent natch, so I bought it. It does look OK on me, although I need to try to redden up my eyebrows or they look out of place. I also bought a black wig with some red highlights that I thought looked nice on me.
But for simplicity, for ease of upkeep, for confidence of not slipping or being too hot, just adding the bangs is my favorite hairstyle.
- This reply was modified 4 months ago by Alison Anderson.
- May 19, 2019 at 6:25 am #178716ParticipantRegistered On: April 17, 2017Topics: 7Replies: 79Has thanked: 177 timesBeen thanked: 195 times
Thanks for the reply Alison, Blonde certainly doesn’t work on everyone! I know hair color has to match our skin tones, and even our makeup too. !t works well for me with my Scandinavian decent, but the darker the skin tone, the worse blonde looks on it! I visibly cringe when I see light blonde on a very dark skin tone!
- May 18, 2019 at 12:33 pm #178491Fiona-Ann MossAmbassadorRegistered On: October 7, 2018Topics: 330Replies: 1139Has thanked: 2866 timesBeen thanked: 2110 times
Hi Michelle. I have 2 long Blonde wigs, i did have 3 but i made the fatal mistake of wearing it in bed and it became so knotted and tangled that it was impossible to save it, so unfortunately, it went 🙁 my styles are straight and sightly curly.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.