Viewing 9 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I’m just starting to explore this idea, I have a lot to learn about how to put together a nice outfit and deciding what works for me in terms of a look and what suits my body shape. So where or how do you lot try to figure this all out? My first few items were semi random from eBay without a whole outfit or style very much in mind.

I’d like to work up to the point of trying out stuff in a shop where there’s no commitment involved, just trying things on. What’s slightly difficult is trying to avoid buying brand new, so to start with I am going to look for secondhand/used places with changing rooms and a mirror

Hi Denise, I visit a lot of websites and subscribe, so I receive a lot of “junk mail”. But for me it’s an opportunity to click on a link and read beauty and fashion articles, and look at pretty outfits on gorgeous models, the ones we would all love to look like.

Kelly

Not to sound conceited, but I have always relied on me. That was true for Don and continues for DeeAnn. Going back to high school, I developed a good color sense and I just enjoy the process of putting outfits together…

Something that I forgot to mention is that I rarely give any thought to being in style. My goal is to be stylish. I have pieces from the 60’s to the 90’s and like the challenge of pulling various pieces together.  I like things that are a bit offbeat. One way that shows up is that I have quite a collection of copper jewelry. Depending upon the colors in your outfit, that can make for a very distinctive look…

I am in the young GenX age range and plus size so I start there. I look at what GenX BBW are wearing. That narrows me down to basically Torrid, Lane Bryant kind of attire. I do dabble in some Fashion Nova Millennial type clothing every now and then (like their graphic crop tops). When I find a piece of clothing I like on one of those sites I then look at what else that model is wearing so I can see what else I should pair with that. Shopping for clothes can only be as hard as you make it. Shortcuts like the ones I stated can make it easier. Happy shopping ladies!

Davina
      Lady

I get it from everywhere. All of the ladies on CDH, the internet and viewing pictures of women my age. In the end though, it is my “gut feel” as to what I like and what will work for me.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

When I started out I wore what was at hand and liked in my sisters or mums wardrobes. When I started to buy it was from mail order ( No internet) and from charity shops. I had an idea in my head what I wanted to wear and some of it didn’t suit. I used Miss Trial and Mrs Error in creating a look that suited me and knew my sizing well. I took a small measure with me. I had a keen eye looking at what ladies were wearing and hanging on the rails in many shops,  eventually I found my style.

Trying things on in shops came later for me when I dressed to go out. If you don’t want new then charity shops are a great source of bargains and do have changing rooms. The big supermarkets have some great bargains on the sale rail and have changing rooms too. I think shops are more relaxed  about males trying on womens clothes, you could always go in the male ones. Eventually you will find the items that will suit and buying gets easier, even buying without trying. E bay became a source for me and there are great bargains but only buy if they have proper sizing and measurements as one sellers 12 could be a 16!

Anonymous
      Lady

It started with my Mom but now I look at other women to see what they wear in my area. What’s on sale and also the internet. If I have a question about what shoes or accessories go with a particular color or style you can google it and get a tremendous amount of information about matching items.

ChloeC
      Duchess

Oh, way back before the internet, originally from catalogs like Sears – and I don’t mean just the undergarment section- as well as Victoria’s Secret, Fredericks of Hollywood.  You know, just the standard catalogs of normal women’s fashion.

Also, just walking through the larger department stores. Back in college during one summer I was a stock boy in Women’s Sportswear of a very large department store (I mean VERY large).  Or after that, walking (with my spouse or daughters) through stores like Hudson’s (now Macy’s) and keeping my eyes open.

Mostly just paying attention, but without drawing attention to what I was doing – to whatever I passed or passed me.

Hugs ChloeC

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by ChloeC.
      Anonymous
      Duchess

Hi Denise, Thrift stores are a great way to start. There are numerous fashion sites, where you can pickup the latest trend fashions at a value. Clothes are made cheaply but you see what you like and it will help you build your wardrobe. Also CDH has some fashion sites to get some great outfits. Where you learn what you like. Open your door and look at how everyone else is dressed. Body type, colors, styles, everything you could imagine is on display. After a little while you too will be a fashion expert.
      I use to ride public transportation to see what people wore. Depending time of day, different styles. I head down to the Gallery. At that time, It was always packed and had the hottest clothes.

Patty Phose
      Duchess

I just dressed the way girls dressed who i thought looked really great and sexy. My for st role model for dressing and going out was daisy Duke. Granted, a fictional character, but I wanted to look like her.

Then over they next several years I would often dress like girls I saw in real life.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?