Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Christa
      Lady

I want to start learning makeup. I have nothing right now and have never tried it. I want to start learning and practicing. Something low key.  I dont want to make myself look like a clown!

What are some of the first things I should purchase and are there any good videos?

I’m looking for that girl next door that’s wearing Jean’s and a cute top on her way to meet a friend for a beer…not the super sexy goodess look.

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by Christa.

Hi Crystalline. There are some articles on here or thousands on Youtube, that will definitely help you get started with the dos and don’ts. You will have to get your hands dirty a bit, before you fully understand what they all mean, though. Good luck and if you have any specific questions, just ask away.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Isshe.
      Anonymous

I’ve only started in the last few months and I’m just using a primer (not essential but seems to make a big difference), foundation, lipstick and mascara. This seems to do enough with having the temptation to do too much.

Anonymous
      Lady

Youtube is your friend and you have to practice, practice, practice, and be prepared to spend a bit of money. Also, if you are so bold you can go to Sephora and a few other places and get a makeover but be prepared to spend even more $$$ there. GG’s learn over years getting their look right so don’t get too frustrated if things don’t go easy at first. Makeup is an art, even the no makeup look.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

Keep it simple is my first piece of advice and you do not need to spend a fortune either. Good idea to look at You tube. If you are brave and, it really isn’t that difficult, go into a store and ask! They have probably seen it all before and can be a revelation for you.

I had a make up artist come over some years ago and she had top of the range product. The first thing she did was look at what I had, sorted through it and she used the products I had and only used the ones she had if she thought it was necessary. She left me with a list of items and great advice -no hard and expensive sell.

Anonymous

Start with a really good shave, smooth as a baby’s bottom. I don’t know anything about beard cover if you need it. Is there a Sephora or Merle Norman near you that are stand alone stores? Usually the make over is free, but you’re expected to buy products.

Some eyeliner, powder, and lipstick will make a tremendous difference,

Eileen

You Tube is full of good and bad tutorials, you will have to look and decide for yourself what tubers you will follow. After hundreds of confusing and  contrary videos, some good and some crazy . I found one of the best eye girls on YT was Angela Bright she is very good and then there is Wayne Goss he has good advice also. One of the most important things you can do is skin care, some of these products can take their toll on your face and hands. So take your time make some popcorn and you will find what you need. I myself am color blind so I have a time with makeup, it always helps if you have  someone that will be honest and tell you if something works or don’t work for you. That’s what girlfriends are for right. Good luck

If you can I suggest getting a makeup tutorial with MAC cosmetics or Sephoria. They both know that makeup is for everyone,

You do not need to spend a fortune. There are a lot of good drugstore brands. I suggest elf cosmetics. The eyeshadow palettes are great starter. And their brushes are a good quality.

I also suggest Real Technique  brushes.

For YouTube I would recommend Hot and Flashy, Pampered Wolf, Lisa Eldridge, Caroline Barnes,  Makeup Chair. Just remember that we are apply makeup for different reasons than women. What I mean is that if you want to create the illusion of a woman then you are trying to work on the 7 different features between men and women. For example women have cheeks, you want to contour and highlight to create cheeks.

I would suggest staying away from the young Youtube makeup influencers.

I would suggest if you can go someplace where you are comfortable with someone helping you get a good foundation match.

I would recommend starting with, moisturizer, primer, foundation, simple contour palette, blush, elf eyeshadow palette, lipstick, eyeliner, eyebrow pen, mascara. I have probably missed something.

Have fun with makeup and reach out to us if you need help.

You may get frustrated because it seems everyone has there own way of applying makeup. Brush, sponge, hands….

As Robert Welsh says there are no rules to makeup just theory.

Alanna

Hi Crystalline,  This is what worked for me.  I also had no skill in makeup but wondered why I was being misgendered and what were people seeing in me.  So, after much researching and experimenting (I always just couldn’t get it figured out on my own) I had lunch with Jenee Davis through an arranged meeting.  Jenee is drop dead beautiful and she kindly advised me to find an expert artist and then PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE!  I say this because I think that she almost yelled it in my ear.  I traveled about 50 miles and saw three experts in my area at an average cost of about $300 each.  I figured that I used to pay about 1K for 3  university credits so that was a good personal learning investment and worth every penny.  Then I practiced a lot on my own.  So that was my take away and start into makeup and at least now I’m at ease when doing my own.  It seems that the Boston area might be near you so if I was near there these are the people that I would try to see for a lesson.  “Natasha and Tabitha of My Changing Room, Scarlett’s Makeovers, and Amber Lynne Makeup Artist”.  I would call them and discuss exactly what I wanted to learn.  I would try to keep it simple and avoid getting a photo package….just wanting to learn to start doing useful, simple, and realistic makeup.  If possible take pics, notes or video of the lesson so you can repeat it again and again at home since first lessons can be overwhelming.  I had also tried with great frustration to learn the ways of makeup using the net but my visits to the professionals made all the difference for me.  Oh, and one thing that really helped me that I learned was using cake eyeliner.  It’s like a solid paint tablet that you touch with a wet skinny artist paint brush and then paint carefully on the eye.  For me it works perfectly and I can get just the consistency and placement that I want without  lumping and smears.   I hope that this helps you.  Marg

Natalie Dane
      Duchess

Hi Crystalline,

I’ve recently entered the world of makeup, but I got some advice from my wife whose makeup choice is very subtile.  This is what works for me.  There is no doubt much more which could be done, but after some practice I can get a decent face on in about 10 minutes (minus shaving).

Get on a skincare routine which works for you.  I like to use gentle exfoliation face washes to smooth the skin, remove dead skin cells, and help clean pores (2x/week).  This isn’t exactly makeup related, but does help give you a better ‘canvas’ to start with.  I also use a facial toner every day after washing my face and prior to moisturizing.  I found a rose scented toner I just adore.  The scent is only noticeable during application so it can be used on femme and drab days.

After washing your face use a thin facial moisturizer it will be good for your face in general, but can help make up adhere to your face better.  Particularly concealer and foundation.

Find a concealer and foundation which matches your skin tone.  The general rule is to find a cold which matches the underside of your forearm.  Too dark and you’ll look clownish, too light like a ghost!  Concealer isn’t necessary, but will help cover up blemishes prior to using foundation.  Foundation is otherwise the “base” makeup which covers your face and neck.

Eye pallet – choose a tone which compliments your skin tone/foundation.  Lighter skin = cool tone, Darker skin = warm tone.  Take this with a grain of salt, women now days will experiment with eye color and don’t always stick to tone “norms”.  Plus it’s fun to play!

Eye liner – dark brown is universally less noticeable than BLACK.  My wife suggested to stay away from liquid liner because it can be challenging to work with and much more difficult to remove.  Stick with a pencil, at least until you’re comfortable applying makeup around your eyes.  It does take time to get used to.

Mascara – I’m not sure of the differences other than be sure to choose one for natural lashes.  Outside of that I doubt you an go wrong.

These are what I believe are makeup basics.  Play around until you’re comfortable and have fun!

Additional recommendations:

Buy a cheap eye lash curler and use it before applying mascara.  It’ll put your eye look over the edge without fake lashes!

Beard cover – I’ve not used yet, but understand it will better cover the bluish hue of a VERY cleanly shaved face.

If using liquid foundation or concealer makeup sponges are really helpful to help spread the material.  I’ve used my fingers to blend but sponges are what most women and performers use.

Buy some makeup brushes for blending.  I bought a cheap brush set online for $2 and it makes a huge difference for making eye makeup and facial contours look more ‘natural’.

There is quite a lot to learn, but it’s all about practice.  Hope this helps!

-Natalie.

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

Crystalline,

There are tons of videos out there. Foundation, concealer, eyeliner, you name it. It’s worth watching some because you can get some good tips, but practice is the ultimate way to go.

Hugs, Liara

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?