• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Nancy.
Viewing 18 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

So we’ve talked about Midsomer County in England. I’ve mentioned the town of Brokenwood in NZ. I’ve enjoyed the fabulous Miss Fisher in Oz, and of course kept up with Leroy Jethro Gibbs here in the US of A. Just to name a few.

Those of you who like a good murder mystery, what’s your favorite? I’ve left a huge number off this list that I also love, like Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock, or the 80s Sherlock Holmes for that matter. What’s your choice?

The are just a few of my faves.

Bridgette

I’m going to take a slight turn and mention “Knives Out” with Daniel Craig. Loved it! Different kind of murder mystery, but to say more would be to spoil it. Highly recommend watch!

Anonymous
        Lady

Beth beat me to the punch.  Second upvote for Knives Out!  (It IS a tad long, but I thought it was very good!)

Amy Myers
      Baroness

Wow, so many to choose from, and I don’t think I could pick just one. However, Agatha Christie’s Poirot is a fav, I’ve read the all the books, seen most of the productions at least once but I do prefer the David Suchet casting above all the rest.

Then there is Murdoch, a Canadian production now done by the CBC though I prefer the earlier ones.

A CD friend told me about Miss Fisher, and the clothes she wore in the series.

I’m sure there are many I cannot think of right now which others will mention soon.

Anonymous

With the exception of NCIS, almost all of my TV viewing has been in the sci-fi/fantasy genre; and with the conclusion of Supernatural, there isn’t any at present. But in seasons past: Elementary, with a 21st-century Sherlock Holmes working in NYC, and Lucy Liu as a femme Dr Watson; and Person of Interest, featuring Amy Acker as Root, computer genius and all-around bada**. For years, I was a fan of Criminal Minds, until its portrayal of the darkest side of human nature became too much for me to endure any longer.
      I did greatly enjoy the Dr Who spinoff, Torchwood – a mystery/fantasy series whose lead actors were gay.

Bettylou

Anonymous

Hi Bridgette…

Two spring to mind….

I loved New Tricks ( still watch the re runs on drama channel )…

Alun Armstrong as Brian ” memory ” Lane just lit up the show…great cast.

and I have to vote for ” Killing Eve “..( just the first series !!!…).

Jodie Comer as Villanelle…hypnotic, psychotic…and just dreamily gorgeous….

Grace xx

Haven’t seen either of those, but have thought about Killing Eve because of Sandra Oh, whom we liked in Grey’s Anatomy.

Bridgette

I love a GOOD crime drama, television, movie or book.  The Alex Cross series of books are awesome, as well as the movies (Kiss The Girls, Along Came A Spider, etc.).  Criminal Minds, NCIS, just about ANY Sherlock Holmes from Basil Rathbone up to Robert Downey Jr.,  Dexter, etc.  As long as the story line doesn’t get too lame and can keep me guessing, I like it.

Agatha Christie, Dashell Hammet, truly awesome writers.

PaulaF

As far as the written stories go, of course Arthur Conan Doyle, but have you read any of the Wimsey books by Dorothy Sayer, those are delightful! Ngaio Marsh was brilliant also.

Bridgette

Amy, I do think I have read at least 1 of the Wimsey books several years ago, but the title escapes me.  I will definitely look at Barnes & Noble for them.

I am a voracious reader and usually have 2 or 3 books going at a time.  Only 2 right now though.

PaulaF

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Paula F.

I’m thinking…

Father Brown, Miss Marples, Hercule Poirot, Maigret, DCI Banks, Miss Fisher but really for her beautiful wardrobe! The Bill, in the beginning but not now. NYPD Blues back in the day…

Polly

Ooh, I forgot about Maigret! Did you like Michael Gambon, or Rowan Atkinson, who played very surprisingly well in the role?

Bridgette

Personally, I enjoyed the late Rupert Davies in the role of Maigret. Showing my age now…..  LOL

I quite liked the “different” ones. Foyles War, Grantchester, Happy Valley & A Touch of Frost.

Of course, Miss Fisher, as has already been mentioned, for her wonderful wardrobe.

We’re watching Foyle’s War again now, and still greatly enjoying it. Just got to the Cold War episodes. Have to check out Grantchester!

Bridgette

Amy Myers
          Baroness

Yes, I did enjoy Foyle’s War quite a lot. I liked the concept too, most war time dramas deal with the war, but of course all the rest of society continues for good and bad, but the bad always seems to be much more interesting.

Amy

Kelly Lee
      Duchess - Annual

Me and my wife often watch some murder show and have several shows available at home. We tend to watch older shows more (Sherlock with Jeremey Brett, Poirot, Marple, Murdoch) but also somewhat newer like Midsomer and Murder she wrote. For some reason the modern one like CSI or NCIS is less interesting to us (but I still watch it if it happens to be on).
      I was already planning on making space for more shows like Frankie Drake but here I now seen several more options to look into, thanks for all tips.

/kt

Jeremy Brett is my favorite Sherlock, but I think my wife likes Benedict Cumberbatch better. Robert Downey Jr was surprisingly good.

Bridgette

Anonymous

My favorite was Hinterland a very atmospheric series set in rural Wales, I never get tired of The Sweeney or Streets of San Francisco.

Anonymous

The two most terrifying phrases in the English language are “Welcome to Midsomer” and “Hello, my name is Jessica Fletcher……”  No-one who sees or hears either of those lasts more than five minutes.  Mind; for a good murder mystery, have a look towards Scandinavia – the Killing and The Bridge are outstanding examples.  Or – for the murder but not a mystery – head down to the bookstore and ask for “Crime and Punishment” by Fyodor Dostoevsky; apparently, Peter Falk based his performance as Columbo on the character Porphyrius Petrovich.  Alternatively, come up with a few conspiracy theories… was Inga the second shooter on the grassy knoll?……  Inga Harvey Oswald……

Kelly Lee
      Duchess - Annual

[quote quote=476051]The two most terrifying phrases in the English language are “Welcome to Midsomer” and “Hello, my name is Jessica Fletcher……”  No-one who sees or hears either of those lasts more than five minutes.[/quote]
      In the case of Midsomer Murder someone will have to die and around police or detectives that’s normal. Now I do agree that if I was in the same whatever as the wife ether barneby I would quit directly since someone will soon be dead.
      With Jessica Fletcher it’s worse, how many of you have been even close to a murder or two, she (and miss Marple)  somehow got involved in way more than any normal person would be.

But don’t forget forget the other side, if Columbo tell you “just one more question” you know you are soon in jail for life.

/kt

Anonymous

Kelly; you are correct!  If you’d actually done it then “… just one more question…” would be guaranteed to turn your blood to iced water……

By the way; not quite on point here, but for the greatest detectives ever, how about the gorgeous Dame Helen Mirren as Jane Tennyson in Prime Suspect?  Not just a great character, but also a phenomenal, Russian, totally beautiful actress at the height of her powers.  Now; I have to depart – the game’s afoot, Lestrade!  Inga Holmes…

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock

Anonymous

My favorite mystery writers include Patricia Cornwall (Kay Scapetta), Sue Grafton (Kinsey Millhone) and Kathy Reichs (Temperence Brennan).
      I absolutely loved the Alphabet Mysteries following the adventures of Kinsey Millhone and the TV show “Bones” about Tempe Brennan is an all time favorite.
      I hope you will notice that they are all female writers and female protagonists, I wonder if there’s a pattern.

Soo many amazing shows here I like, Maigret (Rawan), Happy Valley, NCIS, CSI, Father Brown, Dexter, I could keep going. There is only one that would send shivers down my spine, when Id just killed my rich uncle, Poirot, Hercule Poirot.

Love Trisha

Anonymous

Inspector Morse
      Lewis
      Endeavor
      Miss Marple

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

I to love NCIS and recently gotten into NCIS New Orleans. also bluew bloods is one of my favorites.
      . Sandy

We should not forget that great French Inspector Jacqes Clouseau and his ever loyal assistant Francois, faithful manservant Cato, and master of disguise Dr. Auguste Balls.  A truly great team to keep criminal masterminds guessing.

PaulaF

Nancy
      Lady

I’m not really into police detective shows. But, if I had a murder mystery to be solved, I’d want either Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) or Nancy Drew (Kennedy McMann, on CWTV) on the case. 🙂

Birel

I like Vera, and love Morse. Really enjoyed the spin off Lewis also. The first season or two of Endeavor were good, but after that it got a wee bit dark for my liking.

Inspector von Smirff

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?