• Creator
    Topic
    Bridgette VonSmirff
    Participant
    Registered On: October 18, 2020
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 902

So we’ve talked about Midsomer County in England. I’ve mentioned the town of Brokenwood in NZ. I’ve enjoyed the fabulous Miss Fisher in Oz, and of course kept up with Leroy Jethro Gibbs here in the US of A. Just to name a few.

Those of you who like a good murder mystery, what’s your favorite? I’ve left a huge number off this list that I also love, like Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock, or the 80s Sherlock Holmes for that matter. What’s your choice?

The are just a few of my faves.

Bridgette

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Birel Galanodel
      Lady
      Registered On: May 3, 2020
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 98

I’m not really into police detective shows. But, if I had a murder mystery to be solved, I’d want either Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) or Nancy Drew (Kennedy McMann, on CWTV) on the case. πŸ™‚

Birel

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Paula F
      Duchess
      Registered On: August 7, 2019
      Topics: 14
      Replies: 1075

We should not forget that great French Inspector Jacqes Clouseau and his ever loyal assistant Francois, faithful manservant Cato, and master of disguise Dr. Auguste Balls.Β  A truly great team to keep criminal masterminds guessing.

PaulaF

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Sandy Jayson
      Duchess
      Registered On: September 29, 2019
      Topics: 22
      Replies: 479

I to love NCIS and recently gotten into NCIS New Orleans. also bluew bloods is one of my favorites.
      . Sandy

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Amanda Burton
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: January 15, 2020
      Replies: 1385

Inspector Morse
      Lewis
      Endeavor
      Miss Marple

Trisha Lilly Hibbert
      Baroness
      Registered On: December 8, 2020
      Topics: 35
      Replies: 658

Soo many amazing shows here I like, Maigret (Rawan), Happy Valley, NCIS, CSI, Father Brown, Dexter, I could keep going. There is only one that would send shivers down my spine, when Id just killed my rich uncle, Poirot, Hercule Poirot.

Love Trisha

JillianW
      Lady
      Registered On: October 13, 2019
      Topics: 6
      Replies: 140

My favorite mystery writers include Patricia Cornwall (Kay Scapetta), Sue Grafton (Kinsey Millhone) and Kathy Reichs (Temperence Brennan).
      I absolutely loved the Alphabet Mysteries following the adventures of Kinsey Millhone and the TV show β€œBones” about Tempe Brennan is an all time favorite.
      I hope you will notice that they are all female writers and female protagonists, I wonder if there’s a pattern.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      Jeannie Jones
      Duchess
      Registered On: October 9, 2020
      Topics: 11
      Replies: 362

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock

Kelly Terry
      Lady
      Registered On: February 26, 2018
      Topics: 20
      Replies: 236

The two most terrifying phrases in the English language are β€œWelcome to Midsomer” and β€œHello, my name is Jessica Fletcher……”  No-one who sees or hears either of those lasts more than five minutes.

In the case of Midsomer Murder someone will have to die and around police or detectives that’s normal. Now I do agree that if I was in the same whatever as the wife ether barneby I would quit directly since someone will soon be dead.
      With Jessica Fletcher it’s worse, how many of you have been even close to a murder or two, she (and miss Marple)Β  somehow got involved in way more than any normal person would be.

But don’t forget forget the other side, if Columbo tell you “just one more question” you know you are soon in jail for life.

/kt

5 users thanked author for this post.
        Inga Krasivaya
        Lady
        Registered On: January 18, 2021
        Topics: 17
        Replies: 408

Kelly; you are correct!Β  If you’d actually done it then “… just one more question…” would be guaranteed to turn your blood to iced water……

By the way; not quite on point here, but for the greatest detectives ever, how about the gorgeous Dame Helen Mirren as Jane Tennyson in Prime Suspect?Β  Not just a great character, but also a phenomenal, Russian, totally beautiful actress at the height of her powers.Β  Now; I have to depart – the game’s afoot, Lestrade!Β  Inga Holmes…

Inga Krasivaya
      Lady
      Registered On: January 18, 2021
      Topics: 17
      Replies: 408

The two most terrifying phrases in the English language are “Welcome to Midsomer” and “Hello, my name is Jessica Fletcher……”Β  No-one who sees or hears either of those lasts more than five minutes.Β  Mind; for a good murder mystery, have a look towards Scandinavia – the Killing and The Bridge are outstanding examples.Β  Or – for the murder but not a mystery – head down to the bookstore and ask for “Crime and Punishment” by Fyodor Dostoevsky; apparently, Peter Falk based his performance as Columbo on the character Porphyrius Petrovich.Β  Alternatively, come up with a few conspiracy theories… was Inga the second shooter on the grassy knoll?……Β  Inga Harvey Oswald……

Sarah Du Hessisse
      Lady
      Registered On: September 16, 2020
      Topics: 21
      Replies: 497

My favorite was Hinterland a very atmospheric series set in rural Wales, I never get tired of The Sweeney or Streets of San Francisco.

Kelly Terry
      Lady
      Registered On: February 26, 2018
      Replies: 236

Me and my wife often watch some murder show and have several shows available at home. We tend to watch older shows more (Sherlock with Jeremey Brett, Poirot, Marple, Murdoch) but also somewhat newer like Midsomer and Murder she wrote. For some reason the modern one like CSI or NCIS is less interesting to us (but I still watch it if it happens to be on).
      I was already planning on making space for more shows like Frankie Drake but here I now seen several more options to look into, thanks for all tips.

/kt

Bridgette VonSmirff
        Lady

Jeremy Brett is my favorite Sherlock, but I think my wife likes Benedict Cumberbatch better. Robert Downey Jr was surprisingly good.

Bridgette

michaela jane
      Lady
      Registered On: December 9, 2016
      Topics: 23
      Replies: 308

I quite liked the “different” ones. Foyles War, Grantchester, Happy Valley & A Touch of Frost.

Of course, Miss Fisher, as has already been mentioned, for her wonderful wardrobe.

Bridgette VonSmirff
        Lady

We’re watching Foyle’s War again now, and still greatly enjoying it. Just got to the Cold War episodes. Have to check out Grantchester!

Bridgette

Amy Myers
          Baroness
          Registered On: February 11, 2019
          Topics: 16
          Replies: 1322

Yes, I did enjoy Foyle’s War quite a lot. I liked the concept too, most war time dramas deal with the war, but of course all the rest of society continues for good and bad, but the bad always seems to be much more interesting.

Amy

Polly Stewart
      Lady
      Registered On: January 2, 2021
      Topics: 12
      Replies: 933

I’m thinking…

Father Brown, Miss Marples, Hercule Poirot, Maigret, DCI Banks, Miss Fisher but really for her beautiful wardrobe! The Bill, in the beginning but not now. NYPD Blues back in the day…

Polly

Bridgette VonSmirff
        Lady

Ooh, I forgot about Maigret! Did you like Michael Gambon, or Rowan Atkinson, who played very surprisingly well in the role?

Bridgette

michaela jane
          Lady
          Registered On: December 9, 2016
          Topics: 23
          Replies: 308

Personally, I enjoyed the late Rupert Davies in the role of Maigret. Showing my age now…..Β  LOL

Paula F
      Duchess

I love a GOOD crime drama, television, movie or book.Β  The Alex Cross series of books are awesome, as well as the movies (Kiss The Girls, Along Came A Spider, etc.).Β  Criminal Minds, NCIS, just about ANY Sherlock Holmes from Basil Rathbone up to Robert Downey Jr.,Β  Dexter, etc.Β  As long as the story line doesn’t get too lame and can keep me guessing, I like it.

Agatha Christie, Dashell Hammet, truly awesome writers.

PaulaF

Bridgette VonSmirff
        Lady

As far as the written stories go, of course Arthur Conan Doyle, but have you read any of the Wimsey books by Dorothy Sayer, those are delightful! Ngaio Marsh was brilliant also.

Bridgette

Paula F
          Duchess

Amy, I do think I have read at least 1 of the Wimsey books several years ago, but the title escapes me.Β  I will definitely look at Barnes & Noble for them.

I am a voracious reader and usually have 2 or 3 books going at a time.Β  Only 2 right now though.

PaulaF

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Paula F.
      Grace Scarlett
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: February 16, 2021
      Topics: 65
      Replies: 1350

Hi Bridgette…

Two spring to mind….

I loved New Tricks ( still watch the re runs on drama channel )…

Alun Armstrong as Brian ” memory ” Lane just lit up the show…great cast.

and I have to vote for ” Killing Eve “..( just the first series !!!…).

Jodie Comer as Villanelle…hypnotic, psychotic…and just dreamily gorgeous….

Grace xx

Bridgette VonSmirff
        Lady

Haven’t seen either of those, but have thought about Killing Eve because of Sandra Oh, whom we liked in Grey’s Anatomy.

Bridgette

stephanie plumb
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: November 17, 2018
      Topics: 152
      Replies: 2065

My vote goes to “Vera” – Vera Stanhope – a cantankerous, curmudgeonly DCIΒ  who dresses like a bag lady. She perfectly reflects the ruggedness and wild beauty of the Northumbrian coast and the grittiness of the North East. Abrasive and outspoken, with a caustic wit,Β  yet she has a heart of gold, and cares about people.Β  Hard to work with and hard to like (until you get to know her.)Β  Β  Β  Ohh!Β  and she’s a brilliant detective.

Second would be “Inspector Morse”Β  played by John Thaw.Β  Another old sod, who displayed some similar characteristics to Vera, set in “the dreaming spires” of the University city of Oxford. Usually grumpy, he liked his beer and classical music, and “got off” with a surprising number of women!

Bridgette VonSmirff
        Lady

I like Vera, and love Morse. Really enjoyed the spin off Lewis also. The first season or two of Endeavor were good, but after that it got a wee bit dark for my liking.

Inspector von Smirff

Bettylou Cox
      Duchess
      Registered On: May 26, 2019
      Replies: 2094

With the exception of NCIS, almost all of my TV viewing has been in the sci-fi/fantasy genre; and with the conclusion of Supernatural, there isn’t any at present. But in seasons past: Elementary, with a 21st-century Sherlock Holmes working in NYC, and Lucy Liu as a femme Dr Watson; and Person of Interest, featuring Amy Acker as Root, computer genius and all-around bada**. For years, I was a fan of Criminal Minds, until its portrayal of the darkest side of human nature became too much for me to endure any longer.
      I did greatly enjoy the Dr Who spinoff, Torchwood – a mystery/fantasy series whose lead actors were gay.

Bettylou

Amy Myers
      Baroness
      Registered On: February 11, 2019
      Topics: 16
      Replies: 1322

Wow, so many to choose from, and I don’t think I could pick just one. However, Agatha Christie’s Poirot is a fav, I’ve read the all the books, seen most of the productions at least once but I do prefer the David Suchet casting above all the rest.

Then there is Murdoch, a Canadian production now done by the CBC though I prefer the earlier ones.

A CD friend told me about Miss Fisher, and the clothes she wore in the series.

I’m sure there are many I cannot think of right now which others will mention soon.

Beth
      Duchess
      Registered On: May 6, 2020
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 135

I’m going to take a slight turn and mention β€œKnives Out” with Daniel Craig. Loved it! Different kind of murder mystery, but to say more would be to spoil it. Highly recommend watch!

Tara Jeane
        Lady
        Registered On: December 12, 2020
        Topics: 4
        Replies: 184

Beth beat me to the punch.Β  Second upvote for Knives Out!Β  (It IS a tad long, but I thought it was very good!)

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β©2021 Crossdresser Heaven |Β PrivacyΒ |Β Terms of UseΒ | Link to us |Β Contact VanessaΒ |Β Advertise with Crossdresser Heaven

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates fromΒ Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account