Viewing 21 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Over the last couple  of years I’ve relaxed into being ‘femininely-me’; having found ‘my look’. I’ve been thinking about how ‘my look’ came about; it seems to be a composite of influences. I can identify some of the main ones.

• Clothes : I prefer A-line skirts and nice tops; or usually a midi dress. Similar in some ways to my mother, but in my own preference for colours. One of my SO’s friends uses a simple colour palette for some lovely outfits; she has been quite an influence on the way I dress.
      • Shoes: sensible and practical flats or low heels – again like my mother. 
      • Hairstyle: I prefer it short – a couple of years ago I settled on my current hair style (when I bought a wig); it is actually similar to what my sister had when she was alive.
      • Makeup: actually I’m not that bothered about it and don’t use any (no visible beard growth  to cover up – so a close shave and a bit of moisturiser just suffices);  I think for makeup my mother was my role model, in later life she never wore any most of the time.
      • Jewellery: mostly I don’t wear any – my mother and sister didn’t wear much jewellery – just their wedding rings. I usually wear one of my mother’s rings, occasionally I’ll go a bit glam and wear earrings and a necklace with my best dress.

Can you identify the women in your life that have contributed to the way you dress, your look and appearance ?

I know that I was born transgender, possibly intersex, and my Mother knew as well. Interesting genetic things can take place in the womb that create who you are. I look so much like my mom that some people find it spooky, they say I could have been her twin sister or daughter. I have her facial features, hands, feet, and her lovely strong long fingernails. She was a very classy lady and I now have people tell me that I am a very classy lady, so, thanks Mom, you were and still are, my greatest influence.

Hugs girls

Ms. Lauren M

You do great homage and love for your dear mother👍You are to be commended 💄

Angela Booth
      Hostess

I think I had many influences in my life. In my early years it was the fashion my sisters wore as that was what was available to wear. I would have loved to have worn the lovely dresses that movie stars wore but they were more fantasy than reality As I progressed I tried all sorts of fashion and found that I liked the femininity of dresses as they were the main influence of my childhood. I found that there were so many types of dresses that I could wear daily, work styles, casual and occasion.  My hair style evolved to be in keeping with my facial features and the way I dressed and finding a stylist took things to another level. My makeup is complementary to the whole image.

I have found my image that is comfortable with me and all I meet, blendid=ng  me in nicely with everyday life.

Early on it was my older sister and mom. Later I get help from my wife.

Anonymous

I suppose as my exe’s (both) influenced my core esthetic values. Like most of us, I engaged in a long process of trial and error before hitting on a sensibility that worked with my body shape, coloring and the image I want to present. For me, that pretty much could be summed up by offerings you would see in Talbots or Coldwater Creek… mostly casual and classic.

For me I did wear my sisters clothes without her knowledge but was more influnced by her girlfriends from both grade and high school. Especially as we all went through puberty about the same time I adored their experimenting with styles and talk of fashion.

CelesteCD
      Lady

I said both celebrities and other. Celebrities get so much visibility that they are a neverending source of beauty and style that is always evolving. I added other because while I take ideas from celebrities those are more like a fantasy. I also just look around me every day. At restaurants, the gym, shopping, social events. If anything th everyday people around me that I don’t know first hand have a greater influence. They are real with all different body shapes and looks.

A combination of lingerie models and seeing gorgeous lingerie being worn in movies, TV, etc. I love everything about beautiful lingerie, it’s incredible to wear.

Anonymous
      Lady

Alicen
      I put “other” as the inspiration for the style of clothes Rachel wears is largely the girls that I wanted to approach for dates when I was a teenager in the 60s but never had the confidence to.

Rachel

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

My style is a mix of rock chic and girl-next-door.  Avril Lavigne, Debbie Harry, Kim Gordon, Ruth Radelet, Sharon Van Etten, Gwen Stefani, Courtney Love, Kim Deal, and of course Laura Jane Grace.

Also an influencer everyone knows – Liz Hurley

And one that’s less well-known – Melissa Meyer (The Glow Girl)

/EA

For me it was every pretty girl and as I grew older every beautiful woman I wished I could look like and emulate.

Thanks  Alicen.  I picked celebrity and fictional.  I like the looks of Sophia Loren, Cher, Bette Midler, Joan Collins, Audrey Hepburn, Princess Di,  Tina Turner, Mrs. Peel, Jennifer Garner, Joan Jett, Dolly Parton and Jessica Rabbit.  After I got to Vegas and was exposed to the world of Showgirls I was forever awed by their costuming and athleticism .  Later, I made all of these parts into my own life. Kind of like a 13 of 9 style.    Marg

Peggy Sue Williams
      Duchess - Annual

My mother worked for a large insurance company during the late 1950s and into the 1960s.  All the female employees wore dresses or skirts, high heels, stockings, lots of make up, and looked very pretty.  My mother had many friends, and after work, many of them would visit with her, so I was influenced by many beautiful women and how they dressed.

At the same time, I was being mentored in the female arts by two teenage girls who lived across the street from me who were a few years older than I was.

I had a great early start in life as a CD, despite puberty eventually messing things up, but like most of us, I did learn how to overcome those obstacles eventually too.  I was always just such a cute little girl, then along came the voice change and the facial hair.

Hello Alice
      My Mother my Aunties and their close friends always dressed 1950’s style all their lives, so that stuck with me always. My favorite famous person who’s style I adored is Maria Callas the firs real diva.
      Sarah xxxx

1980’s Madonna was my female role model. She was so beautiful! loved the way she dressed ,her hair ,and makeup. she was sexy and I wanted to be like her. Some other things happened to me in the past that turned me bisexual.

Being in the design profession I’ve always admired how sophisticated and stylish my coworkers dress. I admire and try to emulate their looks. On occasion I’ve even discussed with them the brands they buy under the guise of buying for my wife. It’s fun talking openly about clothing with women.

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

For day to day wear,  the classic “mature elegant look”, eg the “clever secretary” , Lois Lane look of the 50’s and 60’s. Black skirt and jacket white blouse, black low heels and tights.

https://www.crossdresserheaven.com/photo/the-clever-secretary/

Followed by “neat casual going to the mall” no particular model, but my Mum was a great example.

As for other females influence, my love of long formal wear arose  from seeing one of my ex’s friend’s dropping of her kids at our house before going off to  a formal Ball. Immaculate hair and make up and wearing a long apricot chiffon gown. Gotta be 40 years ago, but I can still see this “visage” in my mind to this day

https://www.crossdresserheaven.com/photo/favorite-evening-gown-with-brush-train/

Her name….?? Of course it was Catherine..

Caty.

Well that’s a very good question and I have loved everyone’s response.  I do like the younger styles but as I’m getting older I look for the classic look. Jennifer Aniston, Bianca Jaguar, Lauren Hutton, Princess Di, Uma Thurman…there  are so many I love.  I want the outfit, casual or dressy that other women ask where did you get that ?

So prior to 2021 I had only been out a few times.   My wardrobe or maybe I’ll call it cloth8ng consisted of many mis matched items.  I didn’t know how to put and outfit together and never needed toss I never went out.  Things then changed…I told my wife…she has accepted it and supports me going out so they led to me building a new wardrobe for a woman that was going to go out into the world and for that I needed help.  I did my research and found Lyndsey Taub. Now granted it wasn’t inexpensive but it also helped me save a lot of money.  First thing ditch 80 maybe 90% of my current wardrobe.  Second u dear stand better what I like and what compliments my body.  Third learn about colors and style and clothing.  Fourth go out and acquire outfits..learn how to leverage one core piece with accessories to get a bunch of different looks.  Fifty ..get out and enjoy.  Lyndsey helped me with ever step of the way.   Now I love her and think she is the best out there…I don’t get anything from promoting her 🤣 but the point is we did t grow up learning the things that girls learn as they grow up.  A stylist will accelerate your learnings and you will feel more confident and be excited to get out! I’m no small chick either so they teach about what styles flatter you the best.  By far the most amazing thing I’ve done!

Lov you all!

Happy New Year!

Carole

Back in the early 1990s I went for quite a few makeovers with Transformation at their (now closed) shop in London. This gave me the opportunity to try out several different styles and looks – different lengths of skirt/dress, different lengths and colours of wig, different heel heights for shoes/boots etc.

A couple of years ago I told one of my female friends about Karen and she has been very supportive and has given me lots of useful tips which have influenced my recent purchases.

Hugs Karen x

I think most of mine is from the ladies I see in the store in the mall they’re just people watching.
      But if you ever notice people watching not one time that I see a guy that I said I’d like that shirt but when a nice woman walks by it’s where did she get that blouse

Well I like what I like and wear what I wear but I’d have to say my wife was a big influence for me.  She is very beautiful and always looks amazing. Watching her get ready for the office every morning for many years , putting on her makeup, her taste in clothes and heels, the way she likes to match certain things . The way she wears her hair and different looks/ styles over the years.  I’ve always liked the office girl look as well as simple jean skirts and a comfy top.

Whether they were celebrities or fictional characters of the stage and screen, ones that I passed in everyday public, and friends of or family. I can say that my interest in women’s clothing has been influenced by every woman I’ve seen since the age of 5 or 6.

I’ve mentioned many times on this site that my greatest influence came from my Grand Aunt; as she allowed me to play “dress-up” in her dresses, slips, and panties when I was 8 or 9. It was with her wardrobe that I learned how a woman dresses and what I liked to wear had I been a female. Eventhough she passed away in 1982; when I began buying my own women’s clothes in 2015, at age 43, her influence remained with me and it has developed me into a full en femme persona with my own influence in how I dress, how I look, and my appearance.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?