- December 29, 2020 at 8:59 am #424581Kelly TerryParticipantRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 182Has thanked: 178 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
I’m on Ottawa and have seen some interest from people in Toronto area, Kingston and Montreal (others would of course also be welcome) that we meet up in person somewhere.
I like to keep it very low profile so that we girls doesn’t get to nervous. I was thinking some place between Toronto and Ottawa where we can meet outdoor for a BBQ and chat. I know – the ballroom dress and stiletto heels may not be suitable for that but it’s just a suggestion and starting more casual may make things easier.
How about some weekend in July/Aug of 2021 we go out for a weekend getaway and during that week change and meet up somewhere where no one have any friends except people from here at CDH. Maybe go to airbnb and rent a cottage for the weekend…
So, how many would be interested? Suggestions on places? Format ?
(Given that this forum posts are on internet I guess final details need to be handled somewhat more private)
(Editors note: please do not post specific time date & location details on the open forum. Thank you!)
- February 15, 2021 at 9:09 pm #448885Kelly TerryLadyRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 182Has thanked: 178 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
Ok, I have now put in a reservation for a place not to far from sandbanks (about 3h from Ottawa) for Sunday Aug 1. It is an entire cottage in a secluded place (middle of the forest) that has 3 bedrooms but we will only use one (since they charge another $100 for every extra person) but it’s big enough that it should work ok even if we have to be inside due to rain or so (but covid – that’s another story).
Once my reservation is confirmed I will send out a PM with a few more details to all who have shown interest.
- February 9, 2021 at 6:33 am #445266
- January 28, 2021 at 11:07 am #439555Misha MonroeDuchessRegistered On: October 29, 2018Topics: 2Replies: 31Has thanked: 30 timesBeen thanked: 155 times
- January 30, 2021 at 1:19 pm #440562Kelly TerryLadyRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 182Has thanked: 178 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
Since I’m close to Ottawa and some others are also I feel this first one have to be closer and that’s why I picked sandbanks area since that’s somewhat in between. Civic long weekend in August means some more time to travel and just do a getaway.
I haven’t booked anything yet but once I do I will send a private msg to people who show interest.
- January 18, 2021 at 9:15 pm #435168Cindy LouBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 18, 2020Topics: 10Replies: 431Has thanked: 1852 timesBeen thanked: 2000 times
I would love to go, especially in the Belleville Sandbanks area. Beautiful white sand beaches, cute little downtown core in Belleville and Picton (20 minutes away from Sandbanks) Nice inexpensive hotel in Belleville on the Quinte Bay, one hour from Kingston if people are looking for more nightlife. My wife would love to come as well, I’ve also mentioned it to a friend from another forum who is very interested.
- January 17, 2021 at 7:53 am #434431LadyRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 182Has thanked: 178 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
I have been looking over this and thinking about it a bit. Personally I don’t know if Kelly is ready to go to a public place like Colonial Inn in Gananoque, at least not yet. That makes me going back to my original plan so currently I’m thinking that I will try to find a place to rent somewhere around sandbanks during the first long weekend in August. (Now if some people want to meet up at Colonial Inn then by all means do so, don’t let me not showing up stop you.)
I did look at some airbnb places in the sandbanks and hope to find a place that is out of sight with a place to have a BBQ gathering outside where me and my wife can spend that weekend. To not make it into a public gathering I ask anyone interested in more details to please send me a private message and I will add keep you informed. Note that a PM doesn’t mean any commitment that “I will come”, only “keep me informed”.
Since it is some time left and the state of covid changes all the time I will revive this subject closer to the date.
Until then – keep safe.
- January 9, 2021 at 6:18 pm #430231LadyRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 182Has thanked: 178 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
So, finally managed to steal some time to look closer at this.
Now this is of course all pending on how things go with covid, vaccination and all that stuff but I think we now are (sorry for anyone I missed)
7 Yes, 2 Maybe and 4 depending on distance and/or when.
Only suggestion I seen is Colonial Inn in Gananoque and Sandbanks. While I never even heard of the “Spring Galas” before I asked google and can see that the spring gala looks interesting but personally I’m not sure I’m ready to let Kelly out that much (and with pictures on internet…) plus that May is way to early to leave my home quarantine.
As a place, it’s east of Kinston so no issue for Ottawa, Kingston or Quebec but for Toronto and Hamilton it’s a long trip and will definitely require overnight place to stay.
Did see Rockport, dunno anything about that place and that is even more east.
Sandbanks area near Belleville, now we talking, at least in regard to distance.
I would guess it’s more places in between but never been there. Since I aiming for the long weekend I’m thinking it can be a weekend getaway and the meetup is only one part while the rest is just vacation (in drab :)).
When I started this topic I didn’t expect that much response (thanks to all who did respond). I was thinking that I just rent an airbnb cottage for me and my wife somewhere out of to much view during civic weekend (aug 1-2) and then privately tell anyone interested where I would have a BBQ going on Saturday or Sunday (pending weather). I was thinking that format since then it’s no issues with renting a hall or such, it’s outside (to consider covid), people coming may be less afraid of showing up, it’s not a whole weekend and so on.
Now more people are interested and it’s even suggestion of a small hotel to gather in. How many would be interested in meet at Colonial Inn or some other cd friendly place? While Colonial Inn looks nice I guess in that case more people outside us will be around and friendly or not it might be scary to some (including Kelly).
- January 10, 2021 at 6:12 am #430424Regine RichPrincessRegistered On: October 9, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 600Has thanked: 6265 timesBeen thanked: 2587 times
Hi Kelly, I like Sandbanks, but just because it is a little closer, lol
I would also have to get overnight accommodation’s, (and I believe my SO would enjoy it also, but I haven’t mentioned it. Would it be weird to have her there?) as either is about a 5 hr drive, for me. So August long weekend sounds wonderful, Either the bbq, or the Inn.
please keep me on the list
- January 9, 2021 at 7:40 pm #430271Olivia LivinLadyRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 43Replies: 1555Has thanked: 7346 timesBeen thanked: 3946 times
I was thinking in line with your original day trip/bbq idea. I wouldn’t be up for a wknd or stay over but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t just show up for 1 part of a longer event if thats what works best for the group.
- January 9, 2021 at 7:19 pm #430257Andrea HopkinsLadyRegistered On: December 24, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 59Has thanked: 116 timesBeen thanked: 340 times
I am definitely down for, a day trip, however an overnight might be a little difficult for child care I can get away with a day but more then that can be an issue, however I am not opposed to driving there and back for a day trip.
- January 9, 2021 at 7:07 pm #430249Amy MyersBaronessRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1192Has thanked: 3315 timesBeen thanked: 3170 times
I am involved with the group which goes to the Spring Fling, and there is nothing planned at the moment, as May seems to be too soon for an event like that.
So I would be willing to go to the Colonial.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- January 8, 2021 at 5:40 pm #429634Olivia LivinLadyRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 43Replies: 1555Has thanked: 7346 timesBeen thanked: 3946 times
For those that might be on the fence about attending do to nerves or shyness. This could be a wonderful begining for future outings. At least two of the ladies that have expressed interest were amoung those that welcomed me in my furst group meetup in downtown T.O., I was nervous and no vision of beauty but was easily accepted by everyone and had a number of good conversations during that evening. I’m so glad I went and happily call both Amy and Stephanie my friends.
It may also give you the opportunity to meet our wonderful ambassador, they’re not chosen just for their looks you know. If you’ve ever had a conversation with them, you already know what I mean.
- January 8, 2021 at 9:54 pm #429719Andrea HopkinsLadyRegistered On: December 24, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 59Has thanked: 116 timesBeen thanked: 340 times
Nerves are definitely in question for me, But I still wish to go I think it could be great fun I’ve never been out in public during the day, but I think I could manage the anxiety, and get through it. Here’s hoping I can find child care for when this happens.
- January 10, 2021 at 6:12 am #430425
- January 8, 2021 at 5:37 pm #429633
- January 8, 2021 at 5:05 pm #429625
- January 5, 2021 at 8:11 pm #427979Nancy NgLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2018Topics: 1Replies: 1Has thanked: 2 timesBeen thanked: 13 times
Fingers crossed that vaccinations would be wide spread by summer 2021. Would be interested, but it all depends on work schedule. Colonial Inn is an excellent suggestion. Thanks.
- January 5, 2021 at 7:50 pm #427970AoifeLadyRegistered On: October 11, 2018Topics: 65Replies: 321Has thanked: 820 timesBeen thanked: 1147 times
Yes! Unfortunately I am still in Tennessee, but hopefully once immigration papers start moving a little more my family will be moving to Kingston. Whenever I think about it I really hope to connect with other CDs up there!
- January 5, 2021 at 6:36 pm #427951
- January 5, 2021 at 5:51 pm #427939CindaritaLadyRegistered On: April 30, 2019Topics: 0Replies: 3Has thanked: 2 timesBeen thanked: 15 times
Count me in!!!! I know the Colonial Inn in Gananoque has hosted many Expressions “Spring Galas” It is a lovely, safe, large, affordable facility. And it has a fashion boutique off of the lobby!
- January 6, 2021 at 2:09 am #428100Cindy LouBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 18, 2020Topics: 10Replies: 431Has thanked: 1852 timesBeen thanked: 2000 times
There’s a beautiful bicycle path just East of Gananoque on the Thousand islands parkway. A few years ago my wife and I discovered the cute little historic village of Rockport about 25km down the road, definitely worth a visit when you’re in the area. I would certainly be interested in attending, count me in.
- January 5, 2021 at 7:59 pm #427972Amy MyersBaronessRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1192Has thanked: 3315 timesBeen thanked: 3170 times
- January 5, 2021 at 3:38 pm #427892LadyRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 43Replies: 1555Has thanked: 7346 timesBeen thanked: 3946 times
Whata that you say? Something positive and interesting to look forward to? Sounds like a great possibility to me too. I’m 15min from rhe other Great Lake (Erie) but have reason to be in that area more than a few times this year so I can try to make the universes align.
- January 5, 2021 at 12:35 pm #427836Genevive EnseignanteBaronessRegistered On: December 19, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 42Has thanked: 133 timesBeen thanked: 278 times
That sounds like a fun idea, my husband has not yet been outside dressed and I know he would like that as a first time thing. The Sandbanks area near Belleville might be a good spot, its about an hour west of Kingston.
- January 5, 2021 at 11:22 am #427812BaronessRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1192Has thanked: 3315 timesBeen thanked: 3170 times
You could add my name to the mix as well, though I am about an hour West of Hamilton, so it is a long hike for me, and I would be inclined to find overnight lodging somewhere, as it is likely about 4 hrs or so each way for me.
It wouldn’t have to be an overnighter planned through the bunch, as that might get complicated and too expensive for some.
Yes, later in the summer would likely be the earliest by the way the things are going with Covid.
Keep me in the loop though.
- January 4, 2021 at 10:43 am #427303LadyRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 182Has thanked: 178 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
could you make that 6?
I can make that 60 as long as we can figure out the rest like where to do it and while being 6 vs 60 makes some difference to the format I don’t think we going to be that many. A BBQ and a chat is what I envision somewhere, what do you other girls think?
- January 4, 2021 at 1:43 pm #427391
- January 4, 2021 at 1:09 pm #427375Stevie SteinerAmbassadorRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 42Replies: 962Has thanked: 4581 timesBeen thanked: 4974 times
We will have to work on the where. Being in Hamilton, I am on the western edge of the bubble, so I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t vote for something along the western half of the lake. BBQ or anything, with chats and laughs – sounds great to me. 🙂
- January 4, 2021 at 8:56 am #427270Stevie SteinerAmbassadorRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 42Replies: 962Has thanked: 4581 timesBeen thanked: 4974 times
- January 4, 2021 at 8:34 am #427267LadyRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 16Replies: 182Has thanked: 178 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
So, 5 people (with me) interested, any suggestions on location?
As for timing, I’m thinking some weekend in August so that the worst of the pandemic restrictions are over. I do wonder if the first long weekend (civic holiday for ontario) would be ok.
- January 4, 2021 at 1:42 pm #427388
- January 1, 2021 at 6:08 am #425789PrincessRegistered On: October 9, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 600Has thanked: 6265 timesBeen thanked: 2587 times
Im in neither, but north of Toronto, but I would definately be interested, depending on the location and the timing.
would just need 2 or 3 suitcases, because, what would I wear??? lol
- January 1, 2021 at 6:04 am #425787Cynthia HughesLadyRegistered On: March 12, 2019Topics: 7Replies: 136Has thanked: 158 timesBeen thanked: 382 times
- December 29, 2020 at 9:07 pm #424847Stephanie FlowersAmbassadorRegistered On: June 26, 2017Topics: 26Replies: 4792Has thanked: 8270 timesBeen thanked: 8282 times
- December 29, 2020 at 8:32 pm #424835Stephanie FlowersAmbassadorRegistered On: June 26, 2017Topics: 26Replies: 4792Has thanked: 8270 timesBeen thanked: 8282 times
- December 29, 2020 at 8:24 pm #424834LadyRegistered On: December 24, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 59Has thanked: 116 timesBeen thanked: 340 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.