• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Lady

I have no doubt this has been covered in at least one other area but I haven’t found it, so I shall recreate the wheel and ask again. What are the best tips each of you has found for cleaning and caring for your wigs? I use wig shampoos and conditioners and still end up with frayed ends and rats nests! 😠 I have several nicer wigs and have tried to protect and care for them but am always willing to listen to what other girls find works best🍷

Hi Carolyne.  I have the same problem too, especially with synthetics….but then real hair has it’s problems too.  Follow the mfgrs. recommendations to washing. I find dunking up and down avoids many tangles.  Second……buy a set of good wig combing tools and work slowly and carefully with the grooming. Do avoid hair spray at all costs….strips color out of synthetics and can make real hair brittle and snap strands. Read as much info on internet as you can about the subject as well.  Good luck…….

Lady Veronica

PS  In the old days they used power to clean head grease and dirt from their wigs….King Louis  (FOURTEENTH).

Anonymous
      Lady

Lady Veronica I appreciate your input. Sounds like exactly what I’m doing with the same tools, I guess I just don’t want to accept there isn’t an easier way. My wife has long naturally curly hair and has me comb and brush it for her and my daughter has LONG straight hair and I do the same for her. Guess its just one of those fun things about being a girl. 🙄. Guess it can’t all be glamour?

🍷C

Hi Carolyne, the way I take care of my wig is to wash it with Woolite just a few drops in a basin full of warm water.  I dunk the wig and lightly shake it around.  I do not scrub it.  I pull it up and squeeze from the top down.  Then repeat about 2 more times.  Then I refill the basin with clean water rinse 2 times the same way.  Then I do it another time of clean water in the basin to rinse another 2 times.  I Squeeze out the water at no time do I scrub or tangle the wig hair.  My wigs have a mess cap so I grab the middle of the mesh cap and basically turning the cap inside out letting the hair hang down I use a plastic hanger and hang it in the shower to drip and dry.  Once dry I start to brush with a wig brush from the bottom up about 2 or 3 inches at a time helps from creating snarls in the hair and helps from splitting the ends.  Since mine are synthetic they will return to their natural look and curl.   I have thought about lately using a cream rinse on the wig but have not done this at this time.  Hope this helps.

Anonymous
        Lady

Hello Sarah Marie and thanks for the info. I had heard of the Woolite trick but never tried it. Lord knows it has to be cheaper than wig shampoo!  Again thank you for the idea and I will give it a try.

🍷C

I wear a wig all day and after four wears of it I wash it in Revlon Wig shampoo and Revlon Wig conditioner.

Anonymous
        Lady

Ashli thanks for the info. The Revlon wig shampoos and conditioners are what I have used too. Sounds like I am not doing anything wrong just not the most patient person ever.

🍷C

Wanda Full
      Duchess

As a professional clown and entertainer, I wash my wigs in regular baby shampoo once every 15 or so wears. Sometimes I just take a shower with one on, or other times wash gently in the sink with warm water. Air dry and light styling before storage. Aftercare is very important, get a good form and hair management tools, combs, brushes, etc.. for that type of hair.  never use people hair treatment products such as hairspray, gel, etc…

Anonymous
        Lady

Wanda I really appreciate your response. From the sound of it I am following all the general practices and doing it right. I just went from a shorter length to a longer wig and suppose it will just take a little more tlc.

🍷C

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?