Viewing 15 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

So, does anyone else have this problem? I have tried on black wigs and blonde wigs and just don’t like the way I look in either. My natural hair color is brown, which is probably why I like myself better in a brown wig. I have a couple pics I am happy with as a blonde, but they are few. I really would like to be a good looking blonde at times, haha. I am really envious of girls who can pull several different color wigs off.

Allison M
      Lady

I’m naturally a brunette myself. I have a couple brunette wigs, but my favorite wig is the red one I have. I prefer being a redhead. I’ve tried blonde and black. I just don’t think I look that good in them.

Anonymous

I have one brown one with just a hint of red in it. I have never tried all red, though. I will have to try that in the future!

Anonymous

Samara.

The problem is entirely in your mind….Every day when you look in the mirror …you see brown hair and so you always expect to see brown hair.

It’s purely a matter of getting used to the change of colour. The more times you wear blonde, your mind will get used to seeing blonde. I think we can look good in any colour……once we accept that it’s really us!!!

Grace xx

Anonymous

Thanks Grace. That makes a lot of sense. I need to give it more of a chance. I tried it, wasn’t crazy about the result and haven’t tried it since.

Grace,

It’s more than just what I’m used to.  My natural color is dark brown (although now there is a fair amount of grey too).  Mostly I go with wigs of roughly the same color as my hair.

I have tried going with lighter brown or blond wigs, but the color just doesn’t fit my olive skin tone.  I have worn a black wig, and that was not too bad.  My friend had a red wig party.  I was sure I would look terrible and so was going to search for a Raggedy Ann wig.  But I found a red wig online.  Downloading the photo and using a photo of myself, I did a cheap-and-dirty photo edit to cut out my face and place it over the model’s face.  It didn’t look too bad, so I ordered it.  The red wig is something I’m not used to but did look good on me.  I also borrowed a wig from my daughter (I think it was pink) for one of my groups meetings and was OK with that.  I have also bought a dark brown wig with some red highlights that looks good on me.

When my friend was having her moving sale, I found a dirty brown wig with darker highlights.  I tried it on and thought the color fit me.  I asked my friend, and she said that the color did fit my face, but because it didn’t have bangs to cover my forehead, it wouldn’t be good.  (We were at a conference one time and she tried different hair styles, and everyone agreed that my forehead just shouts out “MALE”, so I need a style that covers my forehead.)

The point is that it’s more than being used to or not being used to seeing yourself with different colors or styles.  Sometimes certain colors just don’t work with your skin tone, just as certain styles don’t fit your face shape.

Anonymous

I have a blonde(well almost white) wig. The roots are dark,so I think it gives it an authentic look. I only like wearing it with bright color clothing though. I don’t think it looks as good with darker clothing. I also have a long black wavy wig. I wear it with everything, but It has to be long for my likes. I had a shorter black one and did not like it at all. I do have two other brown ones I like, I’m actually wearing one of them right now. It has blonde and red highlights. Again I think it helps it look more real because everybody does high lights now and I have them too. Try styling it also. I do that when I get tired of a look or just don’t like the look with the outfit on a particular day.

Good Luck
      Chelly

Anonymous

Yes, I really need to try different colors and styles. I think a big part of the problem was the other wigs I tried on just has different styles to them. I think if I can find other colors styled like the brown ones I will like them more. The two blonde wigs I tried didn’t have the exact style I wanted. One was too thin and the other had weird bangs I didn’t like.

Anonymous

The real hair styles a lot easier. All mine are real. My first one was synthetic, but lessoned learned. You dont have to spend a ton of money either to get a real one. The blonde and long black were about $60 each. The brown with highlights was $90. My biggest issue or frustration is keeping the wig from looking “tall” on my head. Hard to explain and it may just be me, but some wigs made the top of my head look tall and I could not stand that. Thats how I got into learning how to style them and trying the different styles until I found something I liked.

Chelly

Anonymous

I should definitely try the real hair wigs. Mine are all synthetic. It is really difficult to comb and style mine. I have a tough time getting the pick through them. Those are really good prices on the real hair wigs. I know some of them get really expensive.

Anonymous

Yes they can get expensive. The only issue i have with mine is the very inside hair on the longer ones tend to knot up and get frizzy, but they are so thick its not visible when wearing. Definitely not enough to make me want to spend a couple hundred dollars on one. I can and have picked them, except for the the spots i just mentioned, but i typically just brush them with a soft bristle brush. I use hair spray, styling gel and all with them.

Chelly

Anonymous

I definitely know what you mean about a wig knotting up, haha. Mine do it big time. I am really intrigued about the human hair wig now. They sound so much better. The only wig I had that didn’t knot up was the thin blonde one I had. I’m pretty sure that was synthetic too. Looks like I have something new to shop for:)

Anonymous

Been playng with different wig colors from your normal browns blacks blondes and etc. Now going with colors like reds and blues and hopefully sometime next week get my storm from x-men wig. Wanting to change looks to the white. Planning on wearing it for all time use special days wear the whole outfit.

Samara wear one for few days go out some if like see how it does may grow on you or may not. Always experimenting with things.

Donna

Anonymous

Thanks Donna! I have looked at some different colors like blue, pink and green, but have never tried them. I think I will have to try at least one different color when I make my next purchase. Some girls look really good in those different colors. I definitely think that is the way to go. Wear the blonde for a while and try to get used to it! I will have to order a different style, unfortunately I got rid of the blonde wigs.

Anonymous

You so welcome

Remember blondes always have fun. Good luck with the wigs Samara. There a pretty good example on picking out a wig seen on the site En Femme tells the shape of head and face and then give you some examples of different wigs that would be suggested.

Anonymous

I really need to go blonde, I definitely need to have some fun, haha. Thank you very much for the info on the En Femme site. I’m definitely getting interested on trying different colors now!

Anonymous

Just remember a guide for face shape and head shape then can also look elsewhere That might be little cheaper in price. But Have ordered things from that site and they pretty good on delivery and all great customer service too.

Anonymous

Thank you Donna! Fast shipping and good customer service is important. When I order something I want it fast, haha. So exciting getting something new.

Anonymous

Like Christmas in July so welcome glad to be able to help some.

Donna

Anonymous

I really appreciate everyone’s help:)

Amy Myers
      Baroness

So much depends on the shade I think. My natural colour is, well was dark brown, near black, and brown wigs work well for me, however I really wanted to try being a blonde. Like the old commercial for hair dye, Do blondes really have more fun?

The first one I bought looked horrible in, it was a fairly bright blonde colour, then I tried a less bold blonde with streaks, and it looks quite good on me, and I have been wearing it out and though it’s not too expensive it does seem to pass well.

Now I’m enamoured with auburn’s, but I always want to look natural, so I’m unlikely to try something too radical. Till next year, maybe!

Amy

Anonymous

I’m glad to hear you found a blonde wig that you like! I need to try a couple more in different styles. I want to find out if blonde’s do really have more fun, haha!

Anonymous
      Lady

I agree with Grace, but I also think you look GREAT in your profile pic.  I don’t think you NEED to change it, BUT, that’s the fun thing about wigs, right?

I bought 2 ponytail extensions before I bought my first wig on Amazon.  It was only $11 and it’s brown and long and I really like it.  Then I saw the gray one that is in my current profile pic for $20 and I just love it!

So, before you go out and get a really nice wig, I’d mow through the cheap ones on Amazon (some of which still really look good) and find the color you like and THEN go for the nice one.  I was given advice by Mika that, especially for the cheap wigs, go with bangs.  If you don’t want bangs, then you may need to spend more and get a nicer one.

*kisses* tara 🙂

Anonymous

Thank you Tara Jeane! Yes, it is definitely fun trying new wigs on! All of my wigs so far have been the fairly cheap ones so far. That is a good idea about finding a cheap one I like, then spending more on a human hair wig of similar color! If I can find one I really like, spending extra will be more than worth it.

Kisses back, Samara

Wigs gurl can be and usually are just as diverse as trying to put an outfit together. A plethora of possible combinations. Wig length, straight/curly/wavy. Bangs or no bangs. Swoop or no swoop. Highlights of different intensities (I’m meaning how much of the wig is highlighted). And that is all before mentioning the actual color of the wig (and all of the variations of the colors). If you are set on wanting a blonde wig then you just got to make sure everything else is on point with the wig with how your face is shaped, your eye color, your makeup, and damn, even your outfit. All of those other characteristics of a wig I mentioned earlier have to be on point with the way your head and neck are. I believe that is when you will have the blonde wig of your dreams sitting on your head gurl.

Kisses…

Anonymous

I think that is why I love looking at and trying on different wigs. There are so many different ones to choose from. Amazing how little changes in different wigs can make us look so different. I have put on a few, where I was like, wow I really hate the way I look as soon as I put it on. Others, I put on, I’m like, YES!! I really hope I can find the blonde wig of my dreams! Kisses back at you, Quinetta!!

Samara

It’s not so much the colour, it’s about the length, they can complteley alter the shape of your face or hide many secrets under those tresses.

I would truly like a super short pixie cut but my head looks like a footall (soccer) and my ears are too big.

Anonymous

I agree, Sally! Length makes a big difference. I really love long wigs.

Rochelle Mills
      Baroness

I started out with brown wigs, some with the touch of red or blonde and they worked well to get me started.  Besides color, others have commented on the benefits of a wig that works well with your face shape.  I started considering this more seriously earlier this year and bought my first long wig that curls a bit below my jaw line.   At the wig shop owner’s advice, I also moved to blonder shade with highlighting that helps soften the facial creases that can grow more obvious for us more “mature” ladies.  I have been delighted with the results and have felt a tangible boost in confidence going out and about with my new wig.  (Bottom line: my square face is now much more feminine-looking.)

Samara – enjoy exploring wigs!  And get plenty of advise from professionals when you can.

Best,

Rochelle

Anonymous

Thanks Rochelle! I’m so glad you have found a wig that gives you lot’s of confidence. Confidence is so important! I am having fun exploring new wigs. Picking them out is half the fun! I saw a couple last night that are really pretty! Hugs!!

Samara

ChloeC
      Duchess

I haven’t tried a black wig, but over a lot of time I’ve grown very comfortable with my 2 dark brown wigs.  I tried a blond wig once – back in a similar style to the Austin Powers fembots.  It was interesting but I never thought it my color.

Speaking of wigs, my first was sort of a Dorothy Hamill wedge style.  It was okay but shorter than I decided I really wanted.  Next I tried the Peg Bundy sort of bouffant, but it just never looked right. So I just went it longer brown wigs, the one fairly straight that I wear in my photos here and the other a little longer with some waves.

Anonymous

Hi Chloe. Yes, I definitely prefer longer wigs. Funny you mentioned Peg Bundy. I watched Married with Children last night, haha.

Samara

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

With my dark brows and eyes… I though that brown/black wigs would be the way to go…nope.

I have two wigs, dirty blonde and much lighter blonde. Both have enough darkness in the roots though to make it look “real” with my brows… I look like a girl that has dyed her hair and it’s slightly grown out the roots. It works! The gals at the wig shop even went “WOW!! I’d have never thought blonde based on your coloring…but there it is!!!”

Go to a wig shop. Have a pro fit you with several shades and shapes to find yourself. You’re out there, just waiting to be found.

xoxo

Rayna

Anonymous

By your public pics love the color of the hair specially the one in the club with the neon lighting.

Donna

Rayna Carlian
          Duchess

Thank you so much!

That’s my newer wig and my favorite. I’ve gotten nothing but great feedback from everyone that’s seen it. Especially folks that have seen me in both wigs. They all love the short one.

One girl that was at DCR in Palm Springs saw me in the long one, then saw me the next day in the short one…she said, “OMG!!! Go and buy another one just like this…then BURN that long wig! THIS is YOU!”

Several people even asked if that was my real hair because the wig has a great cap that actually looks like you can see the individual follicles. Plus the short can be “heat treated”, IE blow dryer, curlers, light flat ironing tolerant. I can actually style it a bit. The long one that I got isn’t heat friendly. I have to brush and spray that one into whatever shape I desire.

Have fun out there!

xoxo

Rayna

Anonymous

Hi Rayna! Thank you so much! I actually have never thought of a wig shop. It sounds like a lot of fun! Your wig looks fantastic. I have a lot of experimenting to do:) Huggs!!

Samara

Rayna Carlian
          Duchess

Having a little experienced help in the process goes a LONG way. The ladies were great and I got to support a local shop at the same time!

XOXO

Rayna

Anonymous

Sounds awesome, Rayna! I’m glad you had a great experience! Supporting a local business makes it that much better!! XOXO

Hi Samara,

Although I haven’t bought a wig yet, I did go to a wig shop last week and looked around. A saleswoman came over to me and asked me if I needed help. Boy did I ever! No pun intended. I explained to her that I’m just starting out as a cross dresser and that I wanted something that would help hide my masculine features. Then the owner came over and I explained to her as well what I was doing and needed. With that in mind the owner made a couple of recommendations. I didn’t buy anything that day because one of the wigs I was looking at was $350. And I have to say, those two women were just dolls! They never batted an eye, but instead made me feel welcome. I value good customer service. With that said, I know I can buy wigs for much cheaper but I’m thinking I’ll wait and spend my money on a wig I can try on first to make sure it fits me and that I love it before I spend $80 here or $133 there, on wigs that won’t look good on me. A professional’s advice and help might be well worth the extra money, and in the process, help a local business. I hope this helps,

Love Jill

Anonymous

Hi Jill,

That is awesome that the girls were so sweet and helpful. That helps so much! Yeah, some wigs are really expensive. Makes much more sense to try them on before spending a lot of money on one. I have gotten rid of a few wigs because I wasn’t crazy about the way they looked on me. They weren’t that expensive, but it does add up. If I found a wig that was a lot of money, I would have to love it for me to buy it. I need some money left to buy sexy panties and nylons with, haha. Take care, hun!!

Samara

Can we ever have enough sexy panties?!? 🤷‍♀️

Anonymous

Hahaha!! No, I love them and need more:)

You and me both, sister!

It’s not just colour – it’s shape and face makeup too:

For example, I have tried bob wigs in several colours, but none work with my face.

Slightly curly, shoulder length with a fringe (I don’t know the technical names of the cuts, lol!) seems to work in most colours for me – I even have a blue wig for fun occasions!

My favourite going out wig is a coppery beehive – goes great with a green sequined dress and bright red lipstick.

Love Laura

Anonymous

Hi Laura! Sounds like you have so much fun going out with different color wigs, that’s what I need in my life, someday:) Huggs!!

Samara

Good morning Samara,

Your public photos look great. Why not just stay with brown.

Diane

Anonymous

Hi Diane!! Awe, thank you so much!! Brown seems to be my color, but just going for different looks. If anyone ends up seeing me in person, it will be with a brown wig, haha!

As others have mentioned, wig colour is one aspect.  Style, hair part, length, they all play a factor.

I bought a blonde wig one time, and I look awful.  The blonde wig did not pair well with my skin tone, so that was a complete waste of money.

I like brunettes, so I bought 3.  2 of them the hair style looks great, but the brown colour paired with my skin tone didn’t play well either.  The third wig was a darker brown so that was kinda ok, but the style did not fit my face structure whatsoever.

I finally settled on black only, and it pairs very well with my skin tone.  However, that being said, I bought a long straight black haired wig, and it doesn’t look great at all.  I have found shoulder length, more or less a rachel hair style (some volume, abit of curls, longer bob style), with a slight part either left or right, works very well for me.

Anonymous

I know what you mean, Wendy! Amazing how different lengths and different color hair can make us look completely different!

I’m no expert but my makeup has to have way more color if I wear a blond wig. Or else it makes me look like a white sheet.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?