Viewing 22 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      DeLora
      Lady

Wigs seem to be an important element of the feminine persona for many of us. Some of us have to keep our hair short for personal or professional reasons and others are follically challenged. I started growing my hair in 1993, long before I was out to anyone. I keep it long now and am learning to style it to some degree. Usually I just keep it in Dutch braids.

Do you use a wig or have you grown your natural hair out?

Got no hair🤣🤣🤣do wig it is. But they are so much fun, and you can change them like you change your dress. Great to be able to play about with it❤️❤️

B

Seren
      Baroness

Mine’s been long-ish for about 10 years, having always been a (self) crew/buzz cut kinda boy. I need to practice my braiding!

S x

DeLora
        Lady

braiding is fun, it takes a bit of practice to do your own hair. I can manage a single braid, a french braid or my favourite, the dutch braid. I like having double dutch braids, but I have to get my wife to do those. She is not as girly as me and does not enjoy braiding hair, but  she is kind enough to do it for me on occasion.

Like some I have no choice but think wigs are fantastic. While I a have a Go-To wig I love the fact you can change your looks dramatically with a quick change of a wig.

Sandy

I usually just leave my hair and occasionally wear my wig.

Finally have long enough hair after decades of short hair…gotta learn to style it. My hairdresser knows I’m a CD and is cool with helping me style it. But with this stay-at-home stuff, I can’t wait for her to style me up and color it, since my gray is showing!

I too had shoulder length hair for about 10 years and had a fabulous hair stylist. When in male mode I wore it in ponytail and later added the bangs. I love playing with different looks and using curlers and hair extensions. Now that i am gray though I wear wigs mostly unless working out. I do like wigs in that you can change your style and look instantly. Only problem with a wig is in the hot summer months but have short and medium lengths ones and now six different wigs for all occasions. I know have my hair cut shorter but in a feminine style that can be combed different ways to look either gender thanks to my stylist. do love her

Krista
      Duchess

Hi DeLora,  I haven’t had a haircut ever since I retired from work over three years ago.  While I don’t have much body or facial hair, I am lucky to have a lot of hair on top of my head; though it has started to become quite gray (so I have an auburn color for the lower half of my hair and gray on top).  It is my natural hair in my profile photo (which I really should update as my hair is much longer now). I will wear my hair in pigtails while exercising, and a ponytail when making supper.  My wife wants me to cut it but I think she’s finally given up asking.  It bothers her that when we go out together, and I wear my hair down, that I’m often mistaken for female (hasn’t been an issue for my wife since this isolation thing has started).  I do have a couple of really nice wigs (that I used to wear before I retired) and I’ve kept them for just in case. No idea how long my good fortune will last before my hair starts to thin. Stay healthy, stay safe, All the best,  Hugs, Krista.

I’ve answered when other members have posted this question. My hair has thinned too much on top, so I have to wear a wig. Right now I only have one wig, I’m wearing it in my profile photo.

Stephanie Flowers
      Ambassador

Hair, for those who can grow their own hair is certainly a blessing and I’m blessed to be able to. Years ago when in my teens I did have long hair and enjoyed having it. Those days (the 70’s) it was the norm and accepting. My mother then in a way didn’t mind but was stern on making me keep it clean and out of my eyes and always combed. But that ended because of life’s ways and for 40+ years crew cuts became the way and just the last few years I decided to let it grow. At first just a little longer than one Christmas we were having a family due and 3 of my daughters going through old pictures of me back when laughed in seeing pictures of my long hair and jester that I couldn’t  ever grow it again. Well a dare was in the making  and thought,  hey!!! this may given me reason to see what could be an excuse for my feminine looks and challenged them to a bet. 6 months and happy to say 🤑

Then I decided hey… why not continue and today I’m proud as it’s close to 14 inches and passed my bra strap.  The girls now are scratching their heads why I’m still letting it grow,  I’m smiling as they wonder,  my wife well she knows and shakes her head every time it gets mentioned. Ponytails I just love them,  but braiding is still a challenge but like everything practice,  practice,  practice..

With the hair,  now full body shaving and soon my ears it’s only time my secret will be discovered. I got 3 very smart daughters and I know they will figure good old dad…  my wife she’s just wondering when..

Stephanie 🌷👩

I got my last high and tight in 2017, been growing my hair out since. I’m not sure when I’ll get it cut again, I’m going to see how long it can get.

Anonymous

Nicole,

Got my last haircut – Flattop, which I’ve worn for 60 years – two weeks before Christmas.  IF our salons open in mid-May as promised, they will have 5 months of hair  to work with, and I hope to learn whether I can retire my wigs, or if I’m a lost cause and should go back to being GI Joe.

Anonymous

Pretty much has to be a wig for me… only long hair I can grow is on my chest😂

Anonymous

I graduated in 1988 and my hair was shoulder length with a little wave. Growing up in this era most girls had big permed hair which I always admired. Being done with high school and about to start part time college courses I finally built up the nerve to get a perm. After a couple consultations with my stylist about my desire we decided to put heavy layers in and perm it on yellow rods. Well guess what! Yellow rods are very small and I ended up with a true Poodle Perm. She nailed it! Exactly what I wanted. It was round, ultra soft, and very femme bob. Afro like texture but beautiful defined curls. I definitely got some funny looks from friends and other guys but OMG did the girls love it. I permed for the next ten years. Like three a year. Underdressing became more of a hobby then graduating into wearing a blouse to the salon. Those three hour salon appointments were nothing less than amazing. The anticipation I found was equally delightful. Deciding what wear to my appointment was always exciting. But my favorite part was always when she would take off the cape, spin me around, and ask,” whatcha think?” Seeing myself wearing a pink or red top with my fresh new curly top was just perfect!
      Unfortunately Father Time caught up with me. My hair has thinned so I’ve replaced my perm looks with Afro wigs. I enjoy wig shopping as well. Whether on eBay or at a local wig shoppe. It’s still loads of fun for me. My wife still gets a perm now and then and she’ll wear “our” wigs. Now if I can just open that closet door! One day! Hopefully soon!

Hugs and kisses

Knottop Karen

My real hair is getting there but the same my work kind of frowns on long hair and I push it a bit much . So I have a few different wigs depending on how Stephanie feels is to what color and style she puts on . My wife helps style it and helps putting it on for me I act a little helpless and she helps (HE HE) it allways works . Stephanie

Chrissy Jones
      Duchess

I tried letting my hair grow out in college. It was a disaster – curly in some places, frizzy in others. I still cringe when pictures. Now I need to keep the professional look while I deal with a receding hairline and MPB. It’s a wig for me. The added bonus – I can change my hair color without dyes.

Patty Phose
      Duchess

When I was 17, I was in my androgynous phase. I was wearing pantyhose with short girl’s shorts and platform wedges, sometimes with a long shirt that looked like a short dress. My hair was kind of long. In that attire, especially when I wore the shirt over the shorts, I was often addressed as a girl. I was told I had nice legs, got compliments on my shoes and got asked if the pantyhose I was buying was what I was wearing.

I loved all this and wanted to take it even further but I had limits at the time. Then I saw Daisy Duke and it was, OMG. That’s me. I have to look like that. I have to be that.

I began to look at wigs to get my hair like Daisy’s. I shopped sexy heels and dresses. It was always based on, How would Daisy look wearing this?, or would Daisy wear this. When I turned 18 and got my own place, I bought all these things and began working on looking like and becoming Daisy.

I also found that since I was going to be Daisy and not androgynous me, I was going to be wearing wigs. Tucking my longish hair under the wig even with a wig cap did not let the wig fit right. I decided to cut my hair shorter. My dad was pleased. He remarked it was about time I cut my hair shorter. I looked like a girl. If only he knew.

In my 20s, I grew out my hair, almost the point where it reached my butt.  However, I didn’t learn how to maintain it so it looked rather unkept.

Over the years, I cut my hair to a shorter length, and now that I’ve reached old age, growing my hair out is next to impossible.  To complete my transformation, I have to go with a wig.

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I have several long wigs that I love.  Letting my hair grow hasn’t been an option because of dress codes at every place I’ve worked.  But the pandemic changed everything.  Most guys I know haven’t had a haircut in 2 months, myself included.  I’m starting to like how I look!  The salons will re-open eventually and I’ll have to get a haircut.  But when I retire in a few years there won’t be anything stopping me from growing long beautiful hair!

Emily

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

Hi DeLora,  I, like others here use a wig.  You can change your look at a moments notice by what ever your whim is at the time.

But now with the virus thing I have used it as an excuse to grow my hair out.  Soon I need to find a stylist to do my hair in a way that I can go either way.  My other concern is all the gray in my hair, I would like to at least to partially cover the gray and not to much of a change to elicit a lot of negative comments from coworkers and others.  The only other thing is I hope I don’t chicken out on doing this to.

xox Sandy xox

Currently use a wig but with the closing of the barber shops and salons have been letting my hair grow out since last November. (I usually only cut my hair 4 or 5 times a year at most.) Am curious to see if it will get long and full enough to get a style that will work for both my feminine and masculine sides. Not quite there yet, but no plans on cutting it anytime soon.

Terri
      Duchess

Im 71 and have been using my own hair since mid 40s.  I started going out in public at 30. At that time I couldn’t wear my hair long because of my profession (law enforcement). One night I was going out with a friend. I got changed and went to salon and took off my wig and asked her if she could style my hair. That was in 1998. I haven’t worn a wig since.

None of the above. I rarely wear a wig. I wear hats ~98% of the time…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?