• This topic has 8 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by J J.
Viewing 8 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Karina
      Lady

Hey y’all! I’m looking at getting a good wig, but even after all my reaearch I’m not entirely confident what style I want to get. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can be sure I’m getting something I want that will look good before spending a few hundred dollars on it? It’s a big purchase I’m excited for!

I think the only way to do that is to go to a shop. I have several that looked sooo good and when they arrive it was like oh no.

I really think you should at least go the enfemme site and make sure you look at the wig selection type based upon your face shape to make sure you get a style type that works well for you ie square, rectangle, diamond, round, long, styles work better with certain face shapes then you can go from there so you don’t waste money on a great wig that doesn’t go with your face shape and makes you look like a man wearing a wig other wig sites have the same type if thing i just cant remember them off hand which ones that do. If you pick styles that go with your face shape it will make you look a bit more feminine by subtlety easing or blending prominent make features. Thats what I would do first for me and my face shapes 90% of short wigs look horrible as do straight hair wigs I need mid to long length with side part and waves middle part wigs don’t work with my face shape. Should also give you a good clue when you go to a shop to make sure they dint just take your money that they truly find whats the best style and then color looks for you. Wishing you the best in this endeavor.

This is what I found that worked for me.

I first look at women’s hair style, in person, on tv, movies, …  and then tried to find a female face shape that was similiar to mine.  So if the hairstyle looks good on a girl with similiar face shape, then that is a good starting point.

For example, I have a round face shape.  I have 2 wigs that are straight (one past shoulder length and the other at shoulder length), both look terrible on me.  However, I have a jennifer aniston style that looks quite good, and others that have a few curls that also look good.

I also try to find a colour that matches my skin tone.  The only colour that matches well for my skin tone is black.  I tried on a light colour brunette and blonde and I look horrible.

Also wig part, meaning does it part in the middle, left, or right may make a difference.   As mentioned before, length and style of the wig plays a huge part.

Once I find a particular make/model of a wig, I google it and see if there are reviews.  Usually there are good youtube reviews and if the person modelling the wig has the same face shape and it looks good on them, well there is a good chance it’ll look good on you too.

I used to just jump in and buy a wig; but now I do extensive research first, like you said you are shelling good $$$ so you want to make sure the wig you pick looks good on you.

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

Michelle’s advice is the best. There’s no telling what you will really look like and how it will feel unless you try it on.

My advice is to go to a wig shop if there is one near you. I did. I went with my SO en femme except for the wig. I had three cheap wigs and took them along. The lady owner said one was OK.

I tried on several wigs with the owner and my SO critiquing. Bought two. My SO states that the good wig makes all the difference in my fem appearance; I will never pass because of my height, etc.

The shop owner did not bat an eyelid at selling to me; probably had other CD or actors over the years. Nobody else was in the shop the whole time we wee there. Probably I was the only sale in the day; mid week. Also she styled and trimmed it for me and I can go back anytime to get it refurbished. Best, Marlene.

I agree that going to a shop is the only way to be sure. If you are like me and not good really good with makeup, it is even better if you can find a shop that does makeup as well so you can get a feel for what a big difference the right wig can make.

Patty Phose
      Duchess

A wig shop is probably your best bet to get a flattering and good wig. Call them up. Tell them you are a crossdresser or tell them you need a wig for Halloween. Even if you tell them you are dressing as a woman for Halloween, I’m sure they heard that countless times and know that is just a ruse.

Tell them what you said here. You want to get a good wig and you want it to look good, but being a crossdresser you don’t want to make anyone feel awkward or uncomfortable. Are you OK with that?

Or you can look online and get a few cheaper wigs you think will look good on you. When you try them on you will know. Then you can get a better wig that is similar to one you particularly like, and you will have a few wigs to play around with, wear at home or even go out in occasionally.It”s not bad to have a few or several wigs. It’s like having a few or several pairs of shoes, dresses, bras, panties, pantyhose, stockings, etc.

J J
      Lady

I agree, a shop is the best way for two reasons. The obvious one is you get to try on a wide variety of colors and styles. More importantly, a good shop will help you find the right style and color for your face shape, complexion, etc.

Oh, and a third reason is that it is just plain fun . I have bought three wigs from shops and had a great time with each one. I suspect any wig shop out there has more then a few crossdressing customers.

If that just isn’t an option, download the pictures of the wigs you are considering a photoshop your face into them to see how you would look.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?