Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Lady

What is the best way to store a wig?

I’ve had a short wig for a while now but I really want to have a longer style. When I have had one before they have just become tangled and look a mess.

Is there a good way to store them or something I can do once I get it out to make it look presentable?

Have to be stored away unfortunately so having a wig stand isn’t an option.

No expert on this as I just throw them all in a big drawer in a dresser. It would seem logical to observe the way you received the wig when you bought it, how it’s packaged. I know my long wigs come with the long back folded up into the cap and  then the wig is rolled up and placed in the box.
      my experience with wigs is the hairs tangle worse as they age. Also, the worst tangles occur at the back of the neck where the hairs want to mat. I just threw away two wigs last week be cause they we’re just at the end of their life cycle. This is all regarding synthetic wigs only.

It depends on the kind of material the wig is made of. If it’s human hair, it is best stored on a wig stand. The new synthetics hold their shape well and I just fold mine up under the cap and put a hair net around it to keep everything from tangling up. When I am ready to wear it, I just shake it out and run a brush through it and it’s ready to go.

If you can’t afford a proper wig stand or simply don’t want to many craft stores sell styrofoam head forms. This is what I have done and for $5 it works really well!

Syndee
      Lady

Nadia,

I have my wigs stored in two ways. I found some collapsible wig hanger on amazon that just hang in your closest from the clothing rail that work pretty well (if you closet isn’t to full) they do tend to take up quite a bit of room. I also have found that an old school shoe rack works pretty good for storing them. I have one that is round and rotates, it has wire holders for the shoes and I put the wigs on them. I can spin it around to see what wig I want to wear. It works really well for shorter wigs and my longer ones are hanging on the things I got from amazon.

I used to put my wigs on those styrofoam head thingies and leave them out on full display.  The wigs I bought at that time were at least shoulder length.  I mostly dressed on the weekends, so the wigs would just sit on those heads most of the time.   I found that they became so tangled up it look and felt like a rat’s nest.     Combing/brushing them out with a wig comb just meant pullling out the fibres, and one got soooo badly tangled I threw it out.

Another time I trimmed it to above shoulder length and while still tangled, it is more manigable.

What I do now is I store all my wigs back in the original box, and if the wig came in a wig netting, I would store it that way too.  I found the wigs would not be as tangled, but it was abit more work to pack it up when done.

The one I trimmed, I now tuck it in nicely and store it in a zip lock bag, making sure I press out as much air first before zipping it up.

Anonymous
        Lady

Yes I’ve tried combing but have done the same. A zip lock bag is a good idea! might try that first.

N x

The shop I bought my wigs from recommended that you simply store them inside out in the box they came in. It works for me.

At the end of the day, just prior to removing my makeup, my wig goes on to a wig stand, where it lives until the next time I wear it. I don’t have to worry about keeping them out of sight as I’m a trans woman and the wigs are all there for anyone to see.  After I place the wig on the stand I comb or brush it out using a large tooth comb or a wig brush.  The wig stands are where the wigs go after being washed as the design of the stands allows maximum air flow to dry them.

hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

I bought the wig in this store, random storage at the end of the unfolding will also look good.
      http://www.roanyer.com/?tracking=cdh

I have a lot of wigs because I am an impulsive online shopper whenever I have a few glasses of wine lol. I sadly keep my girl stuff hidden. The best technique I found with my wigs is to carefully bundle them back up in the netting they came with. As long as you are careful you can store them in the bag they were delivered in. If you’re like me, sometimes the bigger challenge is remembering where you stashed them.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?