Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I am not an expert in any way at make-up but when it comes to wigs or my hair I am a disaster. I don’t want to go broke but can anyone suggest 1) a good type of wig (type/company/web-site?) and 2) how to style it and keep it styled without a wig stand.

For ladies living in the UK, Simply Wigs have a great selection of top brand wigs at good prices.  They’re an online company but have a good reputation for service and helpfulness.  I’ve a number of cheap wigs which I have worn for going out but have now decided it’s time to buy a good quality wig.  As a sixty something I’ll be buying a cropped style in a greyish colour to look similar to my wife when we are out together.

I have may be about a dozen wigs now… I have bought them all without actually trying on and few were unusable as well due to misfit or looks. I must have discarded a dozen as well. I only once went en-femme to a wig store in Frankfurt which happened to be just next to my hotel. So I could gather up the courage to go en-femme and the store was operated by a woman.

I asked her for a good fitting wig, she tried a few then I ended up buying one as I really felt bad not to buy after all the support from the lady.

[quote quote=18670]I recently had an awesome experience just south of Nashville at The Wig Shoppe. […][/quote]

Yikes! At first I thought you meant Nashville, IN, and I just about flipped! Only, um, no. Different…different Nashville. :\

I’m looking for help in finding and buying some wigs

The best wigs are the human hair wigs, they can be put into a box and they dont get messed up as much as the synthetic ones do. But they are rather expensive. If you buy the cheaper synthetic wigs they will always look messed up and you wil just have to style them every time you wear them.

Its just like you own hair the real human hair, thats all I can say. You either buy the good ones or you have to contend with the less expensive ones.

Cissy D
      Lady

I have purchased a number of wigs on line over the years and none of them worked out. I called a wig store in my area told the salesgirl I was a tgirl and asked if she would help me select a wig. We arranged a time for an appointment and it was wonderful. Cissy

Triesste
      Lady

Hi luvs

This is my first forum post!

If I say something dumb-be gentle.

If I do it twice you can claw me to pieces!

I`ve bought wigs online and in person.

Mostly they are for performing or going out to clubs so I tend to go for the long glamourous

look. So far all mine are synthetic but I`m planning to purchase one or two human hair ones

maybe this year-and I need no advice about where. The best place online by far I have found is called rosegal-not only for wigs but clothing and pretty much everything. The prices are amazing, and international shipping is free here you are: http://www.rosegal.com

About synthetic wigs-tangles are a real problem. I bought a brunette wig in Thailand, and a bottle of hairspray for wigs to go with it. I`m getting low on supply but, since then I got a tip from another performer, about your other best friend for synthetics-baby oil. I wash my wigs after each use, with a natural or biodegradeable soap and warm water.  After they are thoroughly dry, I spritz them with the hairspray, brush them out on the surface, then turn the inside out and rub the strands down with baby oil. then turn them back out and give then a second brushing. I like to brush the crown first, then hold them by the crown while brushing the rest, to avoid pulling hairs out.

Now I know my next comment will not apply to everyone, its just my approach. I dont look in a mirror and think about how old I am. I look in a mirror, and look at myself. All those models you see who look so great in those wigs, they dont get that way by eating junk food in front of a TV. The look that looks good on you, will be because of the body you have. Because of the care-or lack of-you take of yourself. There is a right look for everyone of course-Im just saying, you can be whoever you want-if you want it enough.

Thank you for attending my lecture haha!

Triesste
        Lady

Oh, it looks lke part of my post got mangled.

I said, the look that looks good on you, will be because of the body you have.

I mean, no one check my birth certificate-unless I`m running for president…

[quote quote=23431]I’m looking for help in finding and buying some wigs [/quote]
      I buy my wigs from wigsbuy.com I recommend the human hair because they last longer and don’t tangle. Plus they just look better.

Rose
      Lady

The other big advantage to human hair wigs is they style a bit easier than some synthetic wigs. Basically, anything your wife/girlfriend/mom can do – curling iron, curlers, hair dryer, etc. – you can do with a human hair wig. Some synthetics will melt under the heat of a curling iron, for example.

Jennifer
      Lady

I would try crossdresser.com (Suddenly Fem). They specialize in crossdresser and transgender women’s clothing, wigs, makeup, etc … They even have a guide to picking out wigs based on your face shape.

Hope that helps.

I found if you get a curly wig it is easier to store. I just shake it out a bit and then put it on. It will style easier even if it is in a box and laying flat for awhile.

Anonymous

I’ve always had good luck with wigs from Paula Young. I had two, one brunette and one a little darker. I believe they’re in Massachusetts, at least they were years ago. They were synthetic and I never had any problems with them. The only drawback was mailing wasn’t discreet and I’d end up getting a catalog every two months! It was no problem for me back then as my wife loved the catalogs and would use them when going to her hairdresser for the different styles. Because I purged a year ago, I’m now alone and my son just happens to be the deliveryman so I recently ordered one on ebay from “wigelegance” out of CA. and does discreet shipping. It cost $52 including shipping and so far I’m pleased with it. There were complaints about hairs appearing to fall out and the seller said to shake the wig. I did have the problem and shaking it every time before putting it on and after seems to have done the trick. I don’t ever remember my paula young’s ever doing that. Paula Young does have a much better selection however.

I’m no expert on this but wigs are best kept on stands and if that’s not possible, I was taught to always shake your wig and fold it inside out, then put it in the hairnet that comes with it when taking it off. Over the years it’s worked for me and I use a pick to get it back to where I like it.

The blonde wig on my recent photo was my wife’s and it goes back 20 yrs. or so and is in bad need of maintenance. I hope to get a photo of my new black one soon.

Hope this is of some help

Hugs

Margie

I wish I could help, but I’m just as bad with wigs.

I purchase my wigs on eBay and they cost less than $15. I try my best to keep them looking as nice as they were when I bought them, but in time they get snarly and I can’t get the snarls out.

Thankfully they are cheap and I just buy a new one.

I’ve always wondered if I spent the money for a human hair wig would it be easier to manage or am I just better off replacing my cheaper wigs more often? They do look really nice when they are new.

Anonymous

I’d agree with the cheap semi-disposable EBay purchase. If it dies on you, bin it and buy another. I find that curly wigs are easier to store flat too – just give them a shake and brush them out.

Connie

xxx

My wig purchases are somewhat similiar to stephanie’s.

However, once I found a style that I liked and looked decent on me, I ponied up for more expensive ones.

I too started out with cheap wigs.  Mind you, don’t go too cheap or else you will look horrendous.  The wig will shout “wig” and will not look realistic whatsoever.  Plus, cheap wigs shed like crazy.

I also experiemented with different styles, colours.  I thought long wigs would look the best and give me more of a feminine look.  On me, long hair wigs are a nuisance, incredibly difficult to maintain, and tangle very easily.   I also tried a blonde haired wig, my goodness, paired with my skin tone I looked washed out and unnatural.

For styles, I thought at first I’d keep it simple, long and straight.  I wound up looking like the bangers from my school days, not the girl bangers but the male bangers.  In other words, with all my make up, boobs, hips, I looked like a long hair guy wearing women’s clothes.  God awful.

I finally settled on should length, bob style.  Kinda like Rachel from Friends.  Black fits my skin tone perfectly.  2 of my faves are shoulder length, bob like, and it does make me look really feminine.

It took a alot of trial and error.  Once I settled on colour/style/length, that is when I ponied up for a more expensive wig.  You can feel it too, the cheaper wig strands are coarse, but the more expensive ones are fine and really light.  All mine are synthetic, I cannot justify the price of human hair wigs.

Some of my fave brands are tressallure, noriko, henry margu, mane attraction, and estetica.

Something I never thought about when I bought my first expensive wig was care.  I had to buy a wig comb, wig shampoo/conditioner, and wig spray.   All those have allowed me to keep my wigs looking really decent.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

All I can say on this is to go to a wig store and speak with a stylist. They have probably had a lot of Trans/ crossdressers. Never feel obliged to buy straight away and ask lots of questions. It was the best thing I ever did. They will also trim up when needed and, I have found, very honest as they want you to come back. With all the advice I have picked up over the years I am able to maintain my wigs well and they last a lot longer too. My current stylist recommended a style that I wasn’t sure about as it was a bit different from what I usually had. Once she convinced me to go for it I have never looked back as everyone liked it and said it really suited. 

Triesste
      Lady

Well for synthetics that have tangles-like, all of them sooner or later-I have picked up something from youtube which I do now after every use. After shampooing and drying thoroughly, first I use a pick and get as many tangles out by hand as possible. Then I use a fabric steamer, like the kind designed for travelers. That plus a wig brush will straighten the fibers. You have to make sure they are heat-resistant, so they don’t just melt. After straightening the wig will be damp, so I dry it again. Then you can finish with wig spray or silicone spray-do it outdoors and hold the silicone a foot or more away so it doesn’t get sticky. A quick final brush through and you’re all set.

I’m traveling soon so I decided to look for some comfortable modest clothing to wear on the plane. I bought multiple tracksuits through Rosegal Coupon Codes. All of which were of great quality and very comfortable. I live in Australia so it took around 3 weeks to arrive, however it’s worth the wait. Will shop again!

Triesste
      Lady

Great post Stephanie!

Bwteen my purchases, several gifts and one or two people who moved and had to lighten their possessions, I now have a good variety of styles and colors to experiment with. It’s hard for me to be objective so I listen to what people have to say.
      One ironic thing is, consideering my skin tone, blonde would seem the least natural for me. But something happens-it’s not a natural shade for me but that tone and my skin tone somehow complement each other. I’ve heard the same about Beyonce, and I remember a photo in New York Times magazine years ago with Naomi campbell, she looked dynamite as a blonde.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?