Viewing 27 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Ok ladies I am starting to let my hair grow long for the first time I usually had shaved head who has let there hair grow. My wife asked me a couple time your really letting it grow. She’s fine with it,but it’s at a awkward length now need to make the choice to keep going or shave it again

How long did it take.

or do you prefer wigs since you have unlimited possibly with them.

Do I like synthetic or real hair wigs.

How many wigs do you have I have 6 for now don’t know if I need more but I feel like I do

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

I would prefer my natural hair (would have to grow it out) but due to circumstances, I need to use a wig.

Hugs, Liara

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I have 5 wigs but my desire to wear them is waning.  I’m growing my hair out.  Once it’s long enough to style, the wigs go into storage.

I use to always keep my hair short but since COVIT I stopped getting it cut. It has grown just past my shoulders now. My wife likes it long and I’m enjoying wearing it in a ponytail. I don’t think it’s long enough to try to style it in any feminine way yet.

I have 7 wigs and my favorite wig has wavy hair that goes almost all the way down my back. It will be a long time before my real hair gets that long.

Will I ever let my hair get that long? I don’t know. It’s a lot of work maintaining long hair. I now understand why so many times when I was dating that I was always put off because she would say “I have to do my hair tonight.”  It can take hours to brush and curl your hair.

I love the thought of having my own long feminine hair but putting on a wig gives me instant gratification. Only time will tell.

Kathleen
        Duchess

Wigs are like shoes. Never enough!

Sadly in time they get all snarly and I have to replace them. I never seem to want to throw away the old ones. Thankfully they are cheap but someday I might purchase a human hair wig and I hope that lasts longer.

Yes you an never have too many wigs or shoes 🙂

Carolyn Kay
      Baroness - Annual

Oh, I would love to have long natural hair, but I must have ticked off the hair Gods, they took it back, lol. Wigs are an absolute must for me to be able to present myself femme. The nice thing about wigs is I can change my color, style, or both so easily.

Gwyneth
      Lady

I’m tagging myself into this forum for information. I’m trying to grow my hair out, much to everyone’s surprise. I’ve always been late to get a haircut, but no one really likes my look now. I’m at a crossroad – do I keep trying to grow my gray and thin hair, or give up to appear “normal” and buy a wig or two for crossdressing?

Gwyn

I have been letting my hair grow for about six years now. It grew pretty fast at first but has since slowed down a bit. The awkward length for me was until I could put it in a ponytail which was a little over a year.

Trish White
      Baroness

Hi Sarah, definitely wigs for me, don’t think it would look right growing out the hair on the sides of my bald dome, LOL. Right now I have four wigs, for me they’re like shoes, you just can’t have enough :). Wigs just make getting ready so much easier than having to spend time styling your own hair.

Cheers,

Trish

Stephanie Flowers
      Ambassador

I started with just one wig then 3 years ago decided to let it grow. I’m fortunate to be able to have very thick and healthy hair as there’s no problem. Now it’s down my back I’m going to look into having it styled for every occasion.  So my next steps is going to a hair salon and decided what I can do next. Even possibly shorting it   That’s something I would have never thought of just a little time ago.  🌷

While I can get away with my own hair (almost, I’ll explain below), I usually prefer wigs.

My own hair is quite long (4+ inches below my shoulders).  Over COVID, my hair didn’t grow longer, and maybe even lost an inch.  This isn’t because it wasn’t growing.  The amount of grey proved that.  (I just got it colored again this week.) But because of breakage, the length just didn’t get longer.  With my Mediterranean background, I at least have a full head of hair (no balding).

My forehead just screams “MALE”, so I can’t get away without some assistance.  But I have clip-on bangs that are quite secure and will cover my forehead.  This is what I wear when going swimming.  The bangs cover my forehead, and won’t come off in the water.

But I usually have two problems with using my own hair.  First, since I wear it down as a guy most of the time (I used to keep it in a pony tail until a few years ago when I just started wearing it down), just adding the bangs is not enough to make me unrecognizable.  It feminizes my face but not to enough of an extent that someone who knows me wouldn’t recognize me.

Second, my hair, although long, is very fine.  If I gather all my hair into a pony tail, the volume of hair is about as much (or even slightly less) than if I take my wig and gather all the hair in front of one ear.  My mom’s hair was of a similar texture, so I don’t think this is a male vs. female thing.  It’s so fine that after washing, or on humid days, I have to flat-iron it to keep the ends from frizzing and curling.  Grey hairs are even worse, but coloring them helps keep them straight.

With a wig, I feel like I have a full head of hair.  I usually get longer hair that frames my face, which changes my look much more than simple bangs.  With a wig I can hide in plain sight much better.  Most of my wigs are of a similar color, a dark chocolate brown, and long (way past my shoulders)

I usually go with the same wig all the time.  I’m often taking walks through my neighborhood, and if I keep changing my hair it would just look like I’m wearing a wig. My wigs are usually of a similar length and style.  I’m using a synthetic, but I’m thinking about going with a real hair wig which would take to conditioners to help with tangle more so than the synthetic.

The wigs keep me warm enough during the winter (especially with Bluetooth headphones that look like earmuffs), and yet I’m not uncomfortable even on the hot humid days of summer.

So if I’m going swimming, or just want to be lazy at home, I’ll use my own hair with bangs.  But the majority of the time I’m wearing wigs.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

Alas I have to wear a wig. The days of blond curly hair are long gone. About twenty years ago I bought a lifetimes supply of hair shampoo, that was a two for one offer…..If I have a hair cut in male mode it’s a tough time deciding which one should be cut !

I am happy with wigs and have then styled and as the quality is pretty good they are taken as my own hair!  

Lara Muir
      Baroness - Annual

I grew my hair about 20 years ago. If I could do it again now I absolutely would. Sadly it has gotten too thin to look any good.

I remember it seemed like it grew really fast until it got past my ears. Then it seemed like it took about 5 times longer for every inch after that. It  did manage to to make it about halfway down my back before I had to cut it for a job.
      Be patient, it takes a while. So worth it IMO.

For me I have just one inexpensive wig. I found one similar in length and color to my old hair, but prettier.

💕Lara

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Sarah Jane, I’m a very lucky 67 year old. I still have a full head of hair.

I retired from work 5 years ago and haven’t had a haircut since.  My hair is well past my bra strap now.  Mind you, the ends are auburn but the top is pretty much gray.  Notwithstanding, I have numerous compliments from CIS gals who told me they wished they had my hair.  My wife has asked me to cut it but that’s a “no go”.  It grew pretty quick for the first two years but it has definitely slowed down now.

I used to have six wigs but since growing out my hair, I donated the four cheap ones to Goodwill Thrift Shop and kept my two expensive wigs (for just in case – not sure how long my luck will last).

I definitely prefer my natural hair to my wigs.  The colour works so well with my skin tone.  And absolutely no worries that it will accidentally come off.

Take care, have a great week, Hugs, Krista🐶

Interesting.

I wear different styles of wigs, have maybe 9 or 10. I like to try different looks. My man hair has gotten longish but not really good for female mode.

I have varied colors and types.. I did have more but decided I didnt liked them. Csnt afford real human hair type but theres so many of the man made kind depending upon where a gurl shops.

Love, Aurora B.

I’m a wig gal.  My hairline is a bit high for a woman, and I’m starting to thin on top.  Plus, I sort of like short hair for male mode – it’s easier to take care of.  And my morning routine is long enough with dressing and makeup, it’s really nice to have my hair ready to go.
      I buy my wigs from Paula Young.  They’re all in the $70-$80 range.  I keep hearing discussion of cheap wigs vs. expensive wigs, so I guess that qualifies as cheap?   I have three – the Shannon, the Chantal and the Phoebe.  One is blonde/light brown (my natural color) for everyday, one is the same color I keep in an updo for evenings, and one is auburn, because sometimes I like to switch up and be a redhead.  I like them all, and despite being inexpensive, I find them to be very nice.

Yes, I have,bought wigs from Paula Young, also from the Wig Store and janetscloset.com.  Most have been of good quality and are returnable if a customer is dissatisfied for some reason.    Yours, Aurora B.

Hi Sara, I prefer wigs because you can experiment and try with so many styles and sizes without having to worry about anything, and respect to choose a natural or synthetic hair wig, I think that depend of the situation that you want to use it.
      Regards,
      Sofia

I agree. Man-made wigs can be switched up for different looks.  Fabulous!  Hugs,  Aurora Borealis

Anonymous
      Lady

There should be an option of “Both”.

I wore wigs until I let my natural hair grow out when Covid hit. Its been over two years since my last haircut and its down between my shoulder blades now and I love it. I let it down at home and up in a ponytail in public.

I still have my 5 wigs and like to have the option of changing into different styles and colors. I haven’t tried wearing one since I let my hair grow out but plan on wearing them in the near future. I’m not sure how that will work with all this hair I have now. I hope there is a good wig cap to hold it all down and the wig in place. I’ve looked around but haven’t seen anything that might work. Anyone have experience with this?

Have you looked on the Internet yet?  Aurora Borealis

Lola Caprice
      Baroness

I am a very part-time dresser and middle aged (thinning hair) so growing my hair out is not a good option although I would love to not have to mess with wigs all the time.   On the other hand wigs can be fun too.  I how so many!🤣

💖Lola

I have not cut mine since the first Covid lockdown. At that time, my hair was a traditional boys cut, tapered on the sides and back starting at ears using a #1 attachment on the sheers. So pretty short. My hair has always grown really fast however. I’ll probably let it grow to about half my back? So a little past my boobs? We’ll see what I do with it after that. But that’s the current plan.

Gwyneth
        Lady

Of course you look drop dead gorgeous. And maybe 25!

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I have been using wigs. I have 2 synth wigs, one long/one short.

I’m letting mine grow too. I had hair down to mid-pec in my 20s.

When I was in my 20s my hair would grow nearly an inch a month… now, no…

Average growth rate is about 1/2 in per month.

I went to a stylist and showed them a pic of what I was going for and asked them to clean it up without slowing the process since it was getting unruly.

Stick with it girl, you’ll be happy that you did.

XOXO

Rayna

I let my hair grow out when the pandemic started, thinking I could finally ditch the wigs.  And even though it is quite long now, halfway down my back, it’s really frizzy and thinning on top, so it looks kind of bad.  For dressing up around the house, it’s okay, but I would never venture out of the house en femme with this ridiculous do.

I’ll probably cut it back to shoulder length one of these days.

Hannah
      Lady

Currently when I cd I use wigs  I would like to grow out my natural instead of having to use the wig

I always wear a wig when dressing as my man hair isn’t suitable for appearing as a woman. Its gray and shaggy and different wigs help create a variety of looks. CDers who can use their natural hair are blessed.

Love, Aurora B.

Ashley
      Lady

I voted wigs but I am growing my hair out, hoping I can get it looking good so I can stop using wigs. It’s getting about past my ears now. I hope I don’t panic and get it cut again.

I voted natural, but not much of it still around.  I so want a nice wig even have the style selected.  My wife has suggested getting one a few times.  Only one thing stopping me now is my mustache,  which I have had for some 40 years, but cant see wearing a wig while having it.  Maybe soon the big step of getting rid of it because I hate my hair and want a wig pretty bad.

Gwyneth
        Lady

I had to shave off facial hair a few years ago. My kids didn’t remember seeing my chin. It was a shock on top of my wife not liking me clean shaven. Only this weekend I decided to try a beard again. Then only after getting a haircut after 6 months. I was liking the longness, but it didn’t help the thinness. So I will have to go with a wig.

Gwyn

Barb Wire
      Lady

Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow…!!!

Love my long hair! I got a thick head. HA HA!!

I finally got it trimmed, but ever so slightly. My hairdresser says I’m a “Freak”.

Barb

Mary Francis
      Duchess

I am fortunate enough to have enough hair to sufficiently cover my head. So I let it grow at the start of the covid lock down. I went 22 months between hair cuts. My hair got to shoulder length but it was not well styled. So I had it cut off and I donated the hair to an organization that makes wigs for children. I have now let it grow again BUT I have a hairstylist keeping it styled and trimmed for a neater look. It has been 19 weeks since the Ponytail was cut off. I am liking it so far.
      Wigs look wonderful and have the advantage of an instant hairstyle change. However, I had trouble finding one that was large enough to fit my head. It seemed they were all too small.

My advice is to searchvthe Internet. Also wig companies like The Wig Store make bice wigs in sizes both average and larger. Maybe they can help you find an appropriate wig or wigs. Also Paila Young is another company Ive bought from.

Hugs, Aurora Borealis

skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

When I wore wigs-which was ’til 2017-I had over 200 (with 5-10 faves) but they are all in the closet storage now. Started growing my hair out around 2016 when it was chin length and now it is about 2-24 inches long (longest part is about even with my navel). It is a blend of gray, silver and brunette and as I’m 57 I decided against coloring it(which is a)expensive; b)not good for your hair; c)a pain cause once you start you have to keep doing it.) I shampoo and condition it every 7-10 days which allows it to retain its natural luster. I can do lots of different styles-it’s naturally straight or just slightly wavy but it holds a curl well (and I have all the ‘implements of destruction’ for styling that you could want) and switch from loose to messy bun to side braid, ponytails(both high and medium and braided or not) or side swept. Wish I could French braid my own hair but I don’t have the motions right for that . But I can do a great french braid on anyone else (great way to make friends with girls lol).

Cyn

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

I have no choice… I always wear a hat when walking near an airport, otherwise I’ll have aircraft lining up on “finals” (aka final approach..) on my head…LOL

Yep Bald as.. and dont care..

Caty.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?