- November 27, 2021 at 6:28 am #581314Paula HessParticipantRegistered On: January 8, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 192Has thanked: 1937 timesBeen thanked: 881 times
Hello ladies. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving here in America.
im looking for feminine winter outerwear like a warm trench coat or a light jacket.
I do have long arms and usually wear a 12/24 dress. Does anyone have any suggestions on what works for them or where to look?
- November 29, 2021 at 2:23 pm #582501
- November 29, 2021 at 4:31 am #582319Birel GalanodelLadyRegistered On: May 3, 2020Topics: 24Replies: 338Has thanked: 930 timesBeen thanked: 1667 times
I understand this problem all too well myself. I also have very long arms, so if I find a coat that has long enough arms, then the body is huge and baggy on me.
Eileen, I’m actually looking for a parka myself, to keep me cozy warm in the winter. I think a parka with fur around the hood can be very cute! 🙂
- November 28, 2021 at 8:14 am #581890Alison AndersonDuchessRegistered On: October 15, 2018Topics: 11Replies: 699Has thanked: 556 timesBeen thanked: 3051 times
I guess I’ve been lucky in this vein.
For real lightweight (early fall or late spring), I use either a cardigan or a jeans jacket. I’ve worn these both in male and female mode, and no one in male mode has noticed the buttons are on the women’s side.
For a bit colder but not the dead of winter, I will usually wear a lightweight waist-length nylon quilted jacket that I got from Costco. Despite its light weight, it is surprisingly warm. This too I can get away with when in male mode. For more dressy occasions, I usually go with a suede car coat with a diagonal zipper. I bought this from Dress Barn before they closed their brick and mortar stores. In either case, if it gets a bit cold I also have some women’s gloves to go with it.
For the winter I bought an ankle length (or sometimes called maxi) nylon quilted coat with a hood from Roamans. This is nice because it is so long, you can wear any length dress or skirt beneath it and still be warm. For more dressy occasions, I found a number of years ago at Goodwill a woman’s woolen trench coat in bright red in my size. The trench coat has such a deep V cut that it is usually necessary to wear a scarf with it. And being from Goodwill, it was an absolute bargain at $14.00!
- November 28, 2021 at 8:06 am #581889Celeste StarreLadyRegistered On: June 26, 2018Topics: 46Replies: 1267Has thanked: 336 timesBeen thanked: 4653 times
Since you have long arms I would suggest looking at sites that cater to tall women. For jackets I’ve had good luck with Long Tall Sally. I have two biker jackets,one brown leather and the other black leather which are great for fall and spring. For winter I bought a black leather lined parka from a catalog that offered women’s tall size leather coats/jackets but that was years ago and it’s been awhile since they sent me catalogs. Good luck.
- November 28, 2021 at 7:39 am #581886Carla RobertsDuchessRegistered On: July 28, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 38Has thanked: 99 timesBeen thanked: 204 times
If it is more dressy, I have had good luck at one of the typical mall stores, JC Penny, Macy’s but for causal warmth, Costco has some nice options, at reasonable prices. A very heavy girlfriend found Torrid to have better options for her.
- November 28, 2021 at 7:29 am #581880Eileen BachBaronessRegistered On: February 27, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 145Has thanked: 79 timesBeen thanked: 658 times
Look for tall sizes, you gals tend to have longer arms. A size larger to get the right sleeve length might help. My sweetie found three slightly used coats that look good on her. A long trench coat, a slightly warmer waist length, and a heavy duty parka for those days when no one cares about fashion.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Eileen Bach.
- November 27, 2021 at 5:38 pm #581670Alice UnderwireLadyRegistered On: September 16, 2019Topics: 90Replies: 4664Has thanked: 6922 timesBeen thanked: 11769 times
- November 27, 2021 at 6:31 am #581317Ashley KonnersLadyRegistered On: August 15, 2020Topics: 29Replies: 412Has thanked: 1478 timesBeen thanked: 1847 times
Morning Paula, I’m just in the middle of this right actually. I ordered a large woman’s light winter jacket and it’s to small. Going to the Mall to return it and hopefully get a XL.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.