My life as Liz Michelle, I admit was rough at first. It was a struggle as a young boy to find my true self on the inside. I felt that I was transgender in a way even at the age of 5 or 6, keeping it to myself. It was when everything started to come out and my mom witnessed it happen as things changed. One time, I was sitting on the couch crossing my legs. My dad was the worst, putting me through so much abuse and always making fun of me.

My dad hated seeing me sitting with my legs crossed. I was 8 and he came over and uncrossed them, calling me by gay slang names. My mom heard it and went off on him. I went to my room all upset, closing the door. My mom came to check on me and knocked on the door. I let her in, and she comforted me. She told me that she wasn’t upset with me at all. My dad put in a little effort to apologize to me, but it was only half-hearted.

I was looking through a women’s clothing catalog my mom got in the mail and dad caught me. He threw the catalog in the garbage and called me a freak. He left and told mom about it. She wasn’t happy at all for what he did. She was really angry and told him quit controlling my life and to let me be me. Dad would even make fun of my legs, saying they were very feminine. It was terrible all the things he said to me.

The last straw with my dad was when I was 12. I found a pair of pantyhose my mom left out and tried them on. I loved the way they felt against my legs. Mom did catch me, and we had a talk. I told her I liked wearing feminine clothing and I was also happy as a boy. She figured out that was most likely a crossdresser and she supported me. It made me happy to hear this from her. It helped to learn that this is who I am. I wasn’t one of the rough and tough boys.

I was the son with a soft side that wanted out. Mom listened, and dad wasn’t happy with me at all. I was glad that mom stuck up for me. Dad went off on me saying that he had a sissy son. My mom stepped in and said she had enough of the abuse he put me through. Then she surprised me. She went into the kitchen and grabbed a garbage bag. She took his clean clothes out of the dryer and put them in the garbage bag. She tied it up and threw it outside, telling him to get out of her house for good. I can’t explain how it felt that she chose me over him.

The next day he got the rest of his stuff while I wasn’t there. Even his family chose me over him.  They disowned him right away. His family is still there for me and very supportive. Mom, she saw I was going to be much happier being me with her support. One day after this all happened, she took me to a second hand store and a girl’s clothing store to shop for clothes. I had a ball and loved what she bought me.

She helped me and was supportive in letting me pick my femme name of Liz Michelle. It has been great ever since my dad was kicked out.  I have a better life as Liz Michelle. My mom sees me as a parttime daughter and also a big sister to my three younger sisters. My sisters say I make a great sister. My mom and sisters can see how much happier I was. At 13, I was diagnosed with PTSD from my dad’s abuse for which I received help. I wasn’t sleeping well and had nightmares. I still watch it to this day as I sometimes have flashbacks.

All of this brought something out in me. I was entertaining a lot at home. I’m also a female impersonator when I am not at my day job. I started at 18 and have support from my mom and sisters, too. They say that I am good at it. My mom and my sisters even have a nickname for me as Liz Michelle—Lucy. It came from when we watched Despicable Me 2, (the agent that works with Gru.) They said I sound like Lucy and it has stuck ever since. I have not looked back in my life, ever. I don’t want to talk to my dad again. I will not forgive him for what he did to me. I am living my life the way I want. I’m married with a great and supportive wife. It includes being a loving stepfather of a stepdaughter that is also supportive.

More Articles by Liz Craig

View all articles by Liz CraigTags:
Deni
4 months ago

Liz, it’s so great that you have found happiness. I know you must be so proud of what a strong woman your mother is, and I’m sure she is just as proud of you for being who you really are.

Diane Crow
4 months ago

Liz, thank you so much for sharing your origin story with us!! I just love your mom.
Hugs
Diane

Paula1
4 months ago

Hi Liz, thank you for such a moving story, Your mum is a amazing women
XX

Amy Myers
4 months ago

It is indeed wonderful you have found yourself, and are happy. It made me so sad reading about the abuse you suffered from your father, and kudos upon kudos to your Mom for giving you the support you needed.
Which as a parent myself is how I see parenting, not trying to mould your children into some image you might have of them, but to let them find their way, and give them all the help you can on their journey.
Amy

Lucinda Hawkns
4 months ago

wow , hope you are OK now and things are better with you. I was always told never judge a book by its cover, that goes for people also, if they want to wear female cloths let them and don’t call them names. I am a closet x dresser my self and my wife knows of my x dressing, she lets me know when I can dress up for we have a 23 year old still at home. I have more female clothing then wife and also wear female cloths more then she does. I under dress a lot during… Read more »

Tammy Girl
4 months ago
Reply to  Lucinda Hawkns

I like both of your stories very nice and hope you both are doing good

Lucinda Hawkns
4 months ago
Reply to  Tammy Girl

I am doing Ok. considering the virus , staying healthy as much as I can. like other older people I take blood thinner pill, panic attack pill, aspirin, high cloistral pill but other then that I am doing well. weather is super cold and some snow.

Leslie
4 months ago

A wonderful article. Your mother is an unbelievable person and the support you get from other family members is really amazing. So happy for your

Janice Doe
4 months ago

Liz, thanks so much for sharing your story with us. I am glad that you were able to move beyond the abuse of your father and find a wonderfully supportive and loving mother, sisters, wife, and step daughter. It took a lot of courage for your mother to support you in your efforts to be your true self.

Genevïéve
4 months ago

Thank you for sharing your story Liz Michelle… it made me cry when you said your dad was verbally abusing you… he got what he deserved!!!

Your mom and the rest of your family/extended family is wonderful for being so supportive of you. I’m so happy for you.

L❤VE

Gen…

Leah
4 months ago

Liz, great story with an even better ending. Kudos to your mom and sisters for supporting you. There are many of us that are envious of how things went after you dad left.