‘Is this the real life or is this just fantasy?’ were the opening lyrics to a popular song from the 70’s we have probably all heard and they lead me to think what is the real life and what is fantasy in the life of the cross-dresser? Looking at my own life, I could honestly say that cross dressing was the fantasy in my earlier years. It was certainly during a landslide of emotions that I started seriously for the first time. It was brought on by me trying to escape reality during a very difficult period of my life.

As a young adolescent my parents decided to move north into another country where I was far away from my friends and even the extended family that I knew. What made things worse was that the new school I attended soon became hell for me as I was soon verbally attacked by the students on a daily basis. As a young man I was not even sure what half of the words that the other children used meant and, to be honest, as a middle aged man I still struggle to know what some of the vile things I was subjected to meant. Still there I was, suddenly friendless and alone. Things continued as my grades plummeted and school attendance dropped as I was continually bullied verbally and periodically physically. I spoke to my parents and they told the school. However instead of things stopping they just got worse. Now everyone joined in and I got to my breaking point, contemplating running away right up to suicide. ‘I was just a poor boy from a poor family, spare him is life from this monstrosity’.

There was however no escape from this apart from when one day I stayed home and tried on some of my sister’s clothes. In time I remained at home almost every day and even learnt my father’s signature to forge letters excusing my extended absences from high school. Abbie was born she was far more confident than her male counterpart and lived in a place well away from the thunder and lightning of the bullying at school (which was very very frightening). Soon though the reality of life became a fantasy and living as Abbie went from fantasy to reality. I found a place where I was safe and comfortable. I got no sympathy from anyone at the time, all I had was the escape that was being Abbie. The thoughts of suicide disappeared and in time I embraced her not just in the home but outside as well. I would wear some less obvious female clothes such as my sister’s jeans to school and in essence left behind the bullied boy and enjoyed being a little more confident person. No matter where the wind blew against me she remained and became a constant in my life and made it far more bearable. I was able to stand against the bullies and take what they threw at me. In time they eventually stopped and went to torture some other poor unsuspecting soul.

I was glad they had given up; maybe it was down to Abbie being there and standing against them as I never could have. Most people look for a knight in shining armour but there wasn’t one for me. There was a confident young women who stood with me and helped my life seem far more bearable. She was a protector from those spitting in my eye and those that pretended to love me but would leave me to die.

She got me out of those places and helped me not feel as alone as I did, I knew that I would never be alone ever again.

No matter what has taken place in my life, whether for good or bad she has always been there in the background or right now the foreground, watching over me like a guardian angel; always willing to help and able to step in at a moment’s notice to deal with difficult situations that I have found myself in.

My life is certainly complicated as I slowly discover the different facets or parts that make me who I am. Sometimes I think that I am stark raving bonkers and completely out of my head, but then I realise that I am the sum of my experiences, good and bad and they have moulded me into what stands today against the winds that blow. I am still learning about myself and that means I am also still learning about the angel that has been there with me.

I have gone from trying to get out of here to realising that it does not matter at all, nothing really does so long as I accept myself.

There is still some way to go, but I know that anywhere the wind blows in life I will be able to come to terms with it.

Exceptional Voice

More Articles by cdheaven

View all articles by cdheaven
Wanda Shirkey
5 years ago

Abbie, what a wonderful heart felt story. Sorry your childhood was not very pleasant however finding Abbie sounds like a Godsend. I think back about my childhood and wished I had done things different, who knows maybe my adult life would be so much better. I shouldn’t complain to much because I do have a wife who loves and two kids who I adore. I do wish I can dress the way I want to dress everyday. I am a Trans just dying to get out. Oh and that song, one of my favorites. I am a big Queen fan.

Lea
5 years ago

Hi Abbie, As I read your article, I could hear the tune to Bohemian Rhapsody playing quietly in the background of my thoughts…I love that song for all it means and all it could mean 🙂 If people could only understand that our feminine persona is the guardian angel (or the female warrior) who makes us stronger, who makes us better, who opens our eyes and hearts, and who saves and protects us. She is a strong part of us, so strong that trying to keep her hidden sometimes feels like an battle within. Your article is timely – for… Read more »

April (Pacific Princess)
Ambassador

Abbie – What a great telling of the difficulty of growing up, for all of us. I too find that April is much more confident than my male alter ego. I think it may be because If I have the cojones to go out as April I feel pretty bulletproof. I’ve already said to the world I don’t give a s*** what you think of me. I think in some ways our feminine personas can be like a shield we can use. And I loved the lines you pulled from Bohemian Rhapsody.

Nice piece.

Hugs,
April

skippy1965 Cynthia
Ambassador
5 years ago

Abbie,

Love the article hun! You could be speaking about any one of us! The mark of a good writer in my mind is to take personal experiences and apply them universally while at the same time making the reader feel that it’s about herself! An you did that divinely here! thanks so much for sharing your story!

Cyn

Maria Young
Maria Young
5 years ago

Hello Annie honey goodness your life sounds so much like mine in many ways although I never left the U.S. and my name changed a few times in fact I’m still not sure this is the one I’ll keep I like the song but never really identified with it completely I think I feel more like just a princess LoL maybe it’s all the man bashing I heard as a child growing up with 6 females and I was the only boy and the baby in the picture I used to get beat up often enough never really understanding why… Read more »

Maria Young
Maria Young
5 years ago

Ok sorry Abbie not Annie stupid auto correct or rewrite is a better description Love Maria

Courtney b
Courtney b
5 years ago

Like yourself abbie i was bullied i was called a sissyboy as i found myself hanging around with girls but this was normal for me as i enjoyed the same things they did..i would joke to my friends “girls” about what i would look like in there clothes etc in the hope they would dress me up..i had a secret place were many of my friends old clothes were which i had hidden…in my early twentys i had a collection of clothes shoes makeup which i would dress up in when my parents were out..i met a girl and have… Read more »

Pinkie
Pinkie
5 years ago

Wonderful story Abbie . I still remember those days in High school where I was the one being bullies everyday so yeah I can relate. I am glad you found your guardian angel to help you through life. Stay strong gurl .

Pat Scales' class='avatar avatar-64 photo' height='64' width='64' />
Pat Scales
5 years ago

Abbie,
Like so many of us we have had to deal with the many stresses and pitfalls that life has to offer. I have led a life of great responsibilities and stress. Knowing of my other side has given me calmness, strength and peace. Being able to dress is a great curative and is a better treatment than drugs, alcohol or therapy.
Pat

Angela
Angela
5 years ago

Wow Abbie, what a story, I teared up when reading it. My journey was different, I was not bullied. For reasons I will never know Angela has been part of me for as long as I can remember. I started dressing at 6 because the urge was just there.
Agree with the other girls, our female selves are our protectors and warriors, certainly true for me.
I am glad Abbie has made you the woman you are today.
Hugs and kisses, Angela