When the COVID pandemic hit and my business was destroyed. My sales dropping by 90%. So, I needed to do something for a living. Having put myself through college by cleaning carpets, I knew I could make some money doing that. I bought a carpet cleaning van and decided to stand out from the crowd by dressing as a maid for work. The first job I took on was April 29rh 2020.  I wore a pink maids dress and had no idea what the customer’s reaction would be. They might send me on my way or worse.

It took me a good ten minutes to pluck up the courage to open the van door. Once I’d done it, I was both feet in. I unloaded the portable machine used to clean apartment carpets and buzzed my way in. The customer greeted me, and I went to work pre-spraying the carpets and cleaning them.   The customer paid, and I was officially in business. I had three more bookings over the next few days to end the month.

I advertised on Craigslist in the home services section and it was very fruitful. In the nine months since, I have done 521 jobs and well over $100,000 in sales. Best of all, I get to wear a sissy dress to work all day, every day. I have been turned away by two people who were obvious transphobic but that is all. Many of my customers love my dresses and I’ve received many referrals. I’m now in my 10th month and doing repeat jobs for clients.

Compared to a few years ago, when going out dressed in daylight was an impossibility, I’m now out there in my sissy dress six days a week interacting with people as a gurl and loving it. It has been a huge boost to my self-esteem, and I am earning a living at the same time. I never would have dreamt that I would be dressing up for a living but here I am living the dream. It took courage to go to the first job and weeks before I would arrive at a job and just get out of the van without seeing who was around and if I should or should not.  Now it is just who I am, and I don’t think twice about it, better still, I am proud of who I have become. I am more comfortable with the gurl within every day. Nicki has always been a part of me. Now she is me and I am enjoying every minute… and getting paid, too!

More Articles by The Author

Holly
1 month ago

That is amazing! Good for you girl! I have found that people are very accepting. When you can be happy at work it isn’t work at all and being dressed while you work is just icing on the cake. You are living the dream! Thank you for showing other’s that we can get out and be accepted. You look so cute and you are making good money while doing it. I just love it. Congrats.

Lucinda Hawkns
1 month ago

yes in deed that is amazing , going out dressed up and loving it and making money doing a rug cleaning job. good for you. hope your business goes well. have to make a living some how. i would of never thought of dressing up in a pretty dress to do house cleaning.

Sophie Frenchie
Ambassador
1 month ago

Hey there Nicki, What a really positive story you have shared here. Congratulations on finding the strength and courage to be the real you. By writing and publishing this, you are giving permission for others to do similar in being themselves. You have done something that many may feel remains an impossibility for them, as you did once, Publishing this here can provide another with the incentive to copy your example, proving it is possible and can be achieved by anyone. You also have demonstrated something I wrote about a while ago in an article, that, often we overcome huge… Read more »

Kristine O'Cleirigh
1 month ago

I LOVE this story, well done!
Congratualtions on thinking of this.
I think your advertising should include this picture, sort of to let them know who is coming?
Very encouraging and uplifting, gets my wheels turning.

Belletx Petticoat
1 month ago

omg girl u are an insiration

Beth Green
1 month ago

Wow! This makes me rethink the possibility of coming out for my pre-covid job as a wedding DJ. Maybe it would be fine, as long as I was straight forward with the couple.

Stephanie
1 month ago
Reply to  Beth Green

go for it girl. it is worth the risk.

Beth Green
28 days ago
Reply to  Beth Green

An update: I have tentatively been booked for a same sex female wedding in late April. If this booking confirms Beth will have her first DJ show! The perfect niche for a cross dressing DJ! Omg, I have so much to do to get ready. Clothes: Beth will need a whole new wedding appropriate wardrobe. A suit and tie isn’t going to cut it. Pre-show set up and post-show teardown clothes. A dress for the ceremony and dinner. An appropriate outfit for the dance, not wild but fun. I will need the gig just to pay for the wardrobe! Routine:… Read more »

Beth Green
17 days ago
Reply to  Nicki

Waiting for my GG shopping partner to have a free day to help me shop.

melissa la quinta
1 month ago

Fantastic! You really made lemonade out of lemons, and to do it dressed en femme is truly creative. You go, girl!

Catherine Lashar
1 month ago

Absolutely wonderful!
You get to dress and have a great sales pitch.

Amy Myers
1 month ago

That is amazing, and so good for you. Not only are you making a good living, but you are dressing as well, a fabulous idea too! I used to have small independent vending machine business, and I was still totally closeted when I was running it. A year or so later, with the help from CDH and a couple of other CD’s I got to know I was able to break out of the closet and be ashamed of myself. Now think it would have been interesting to go to my customers dressed. Though it would have been more like… Read more »

Kate