Going to church

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Christina 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Faye
    Participant
    Registered On: November 21, 2015
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 11

I moved to my present location two months ago, I love the atmosphere and friendliness I have found. I often attended the church in the village where I used to live. The small but close knit community accepted me,not from the start but once they realised I had a gift for DIY and fund raising they came to accept that the ‘Tall Lady’, as the vicars daughter called me was an asset to the church community

After I retired I no longer needed to live close to the city so I sold my large house and bought a cottage in my present village. I have no close neighbours, but the post lady and village postmistress both know of me,so no doubt I am now known by most of the village.

Last Friday I dropped a letter through the letterbox of the vicarage telling a little about Myself and to offer my services to the church. I also asked if I could attend morning service the coming Sunday(today).

I received no reply, not even the courtesy of a polite rejection of my services or attendance,so this morning I took my ‘church outfit’ from its hanger, a smart but plain navy skirt suit with white piping to the collar, cuffs and hem of the jacket and matching  pleated skirt, white top ,nude tights and navy low heeled shoes.

I had no wish to cause a fuss and less so in church, so I parked away from the church square and walked to the church. I was the recipient of several “ Good Morning “ and equally as many warm smiles.

I had no intention of now entering the church but something pulled at me to walk up the gravel path to the church door. The large woman standing within the doorway was clearly ‘somebody’ in the village as around her hovered several of her acolytes. I walked on and became the focus of their attention but just before the entrance I took a pathway towards the graveyard.

I sensed their eyes on me until I turned the corner and out of view I sat on a bench and thought to myself  “ what makes them so special, the church or their own self righteous feelings of piety “

I returned home feeling I have made a mistake moving here. I am in no doubt that the coven around the entrance accepted that I was a woman , but their unsmiling welcome or lack of it was in no way a Christian one or at least not one I am aware off.

i do hope they come knocking on my door when they next need volunteers or have a collection for charity as I will invite them in and show them true Christian charity and acceptance of others.

i apologise now if I have offended anyone,it was not my intention. I wished just to vent my annoyance being tried in my abscense. I hope the vicar likes my next letter of introduction, the one I intend writing to the parish news.

4 users thanked author for this post.
  • Author
    Replies
     Christina 
    Participant
    Registered On: November 19, 2015
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

That’s how I feel about some church going “Christians”… Thank you for sharing!

Just because I no longer look as beautiful as I once had been, doesn't mean that my heart isn't more beautiful than it ever has been.

Faye 
    Participant
    Registered On: November 21, 2015
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 11

Thank you for your inspiring words.

Faye

Hananiah Abednego 
    Participant
    Registered On: May 10, 2018
    Replies: 3

I am a missionary in a 3rd world country, and just finished my own church service. I find that most churches can be very unwelcoming to anyone who is new or different to them and there is nothing that you can do about it. But you must remember that church is for God. It has nothing to do with the people around us. If you keep in mind that when you go to church you go only to worship God, then those around you should not matter. I have been a missionary in a 3rd world country for over 15 years and have seen some of the most unchristian-like attitudes coming from those who claim to be Christian. But again, keep in mind that church is between you and God and not between you and anybody else. God knows you and loves you, and it doesn’t matter how other so called Christians may act. Their actions are for God to deal with, and He will, and not for you to worry about…Hananiah

4 users thanked author for this post.
     Terri 
    Participant
    Registered On: May 17, 2016
    Replies: 36

Faye, How do you know that you were not accepted? Did someone say something to you or not say something ? Not receiving a response from the church ? I don’t go to church. I did when my children were younger. But when I first told my wife of my crossdressing the church pastor helped me. We were married 10 yrs when my wife found out. I saw the pastor and he said ” It was not a sin and it was something between my wife and myself. This helped my wife greatly. She is a very strong catholic. we are married 47 years and have 5 children and 5 grandchildren. She will never accept my femme side, but I am able to express it outside the home. That pastor passed away recently. I went to his wake and was overwhelmed seeing him. I go to church functions with my wife. I often think,What would theses people think of me if they knew of my femme side ? Church is what you get out of it. I talk to God everyday. He has helped me.
    Terri

Dame Veronica Graunwolf 
    Participant
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 1265

Hi Faye!  Sweetie…..as a World Traveler, I have lived in many small towns. First of all….most of the people were born raised and live there. A stranger in town is something different and gossip will fly. Also….there is a “pecking order” in these areas. and you will find this no matter where you go. Thanks to the media…..being suspicious of you has become natural. Yes…times have changed a lot of things..not for the better. I have been in this town for 3 years….people still won’t acknowlege me on the street but when I am buying stuff from them….best buddies till I leave the premises. Don’t be afraid of them just walk on by and give them more to talk about in their coffee clubs. My town is 11,000. My apt. building is full of seniors and I am referred to as “The General”…….I wear my old uniform jacket from Vietnam…really I was a Leutenant….not a general. I also belong to the Confederate Air Force as a Colonel…….honorary position. They restore and fly old WW2 aircraft from Dallas.

Be patient and don’t shun the town folk…that will make it worse. Just do what you do, they will come around in time.

Dame Veronica

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account