Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

I’m wondering about wigs again. I’d like to invest in a wig that will give my look a much needed boost. I’m not ready to share a photo yet, so I’ll describe myself. I’m 59, with a more triangular shaped face. My natural hair color is dark brown as are my eyes. I prefer straight hair w/bangs and been looking at this style:

hairdo-long-layers

I’d love some advice on style as well as brands and places to shop. Also, I’ve only ever bought wigs that are close to my natural color, what do you think about a change… I’d love to be a dark-redhead!  Thanks!

My favorite on-line wig shop is wow wigs. Great selection and service. The package and credit card lists only wow superstore, which is nice. The best part is the sales. About 4 or 5 times a year they are 25% off the whole store. On a$200 wig, that can make a big difference. If you find something you like and there’s no sale going on, just keep checking the site every few weeks, they’ll have a sale eventually. They also have a good clearance section. My current favorite wig I got on clearance during a sale and essentially got 50% – I really got lucky, it was the exact model and color I’d been eyeing for months.

💋💋💋 Julie

Anonymous

this is helpful, thanks Julie!

Anonymous

attention ladies… wow wigs has 30% off for their independence day sale!

Hi Samantha,

Here are my thoughts on the type of wig to buy. I usually look for moderately priced wigs ~ $250. As with most women, I find that my hair will make or break my entire look. So, I figure it is worth the extra expense and is always the most expensive item of my outfit. I recommend staying away from human hair, due to the price and as I understand they require special care.

The most important feature to look for is “monofilament”. This will give you the best realism at a moderate price. If you are going to have a part (as opposed to bangs) many recommend a “lace front” to help with realism. It’s basically a clear screen with little hairs attached to emulate a real hairline. That said, I’ve had good wigs without a lace front, so this should not be a deal breaker. Another cool possibility that adds to realism is to get a “shaded color”. Basically, the roots are a darker color than the rest. The idea is emulate a month or two of growth after a dying, which is how most women walk around these days. I have a couple of these and every time my wife sees the blonde one she laughs about the roots. I figure, she spends a lot of time thinking about how she needs dye her roots and why would anyone want to look that way intentionally. Hope this helps.

💋💋💋 Julie

Okay here’s my third installment on how to buy a wig. Concerning cut there are dozens of websites on the right hairstyle for your faceshape However, I’ve never figured out my faceshape, so these are no help. There are a few sites about best hairstyles for trans women, which are quite helpful. One of the first suggestions is to get bangs, especially if you are trying to cover unruly eyebrows. However, I love beautiful brows and the last thing I want to do is cover them up with bangs. I actually struggle with my brows, but that’s a topic for another day.

So, I usually go with a part. However, the trans hair websites emphasizes to avoid a center part, even though it looks great on cis women. They suggest a side part or a long sweeping bang. I think the reason is that such a style will make your face look wider around the eyes. In general women have a rounder face, so anything you can do to make your face look more round will make you look more feminine. A center part will work against you in this regard.

As for color and length, it is up to you and I think there are no wrong choices. However, to decide from the multitude of choices, I usually google the make, model and color. There are hundreds of YouTube videos on wig reviews. They let you see what this wig will look like on a real person and allow you to compare colors.

I think that’s all I’ve got, except for one last reminder. The longer the wig, the more you will sweat. So, keep that in mind when making your final decision.

💋💋💋 Julie

Anonymous

Julie, thanks for all the great tips! Now some of this new terminology is making sense.

Anonymous

Well I dove in and purchased a new wig! It’s a toasted brown Noriko– which is a lighter shade than I’ve ever tried. Can’t wait to try it on.  Thanks once again Julie for all the sage advice.

My only thought on this is to make sure that you use one of those software makeover apps and try on every style of wig “electronically” to give you some idea of what works best on you.

My own hair is getting pretty long, and today I straightened it for the first time in a while. I was able to put it into really fun “Dirty Pigtails” – The look and the feel of them bouncing every time I shake my head, twirl my finger in them… tug on them 😉 WOW!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?