- May 6, 2021 at 3:02 pm #488811Michaela JaneParticipantRegistered On: December 9, 2016Topics: 24Replies: 333Has thanked: 337 timesBeen thanked: 827 times
Not that I consider myself “an old bag” but….. At 74, I feel that less makeup is probably better for me. I have kinda binge watched YouTube makeup tutorials and all they do for me is make me depressed. So much stuff to buy, so many layers, do I really need to contour my wrinkled face, do I really need blusher….. ? 😩
Do any of you lovelies know of any tutorials for us OAPs who really only need to hide the 5 o’clock shadow and add a bit of lippy?
- May 11, 2021 at 11:47 pm #491095Caty RyanBaronessRegistered On: August 27, 2017Topics: 88Replies: 855Has thanked: 6 timesBeen thanked: 2973 times
I’ in the over 70’s bracket and I use Kryolan “TV stick”, (no pun intended,think it’s for harsh lighting in television studios) for foundation.
Setting powder and a little blush over that. Rest if the face…. eye shadow, pencil eyeliner and mascara.
Brows get clear mascara and concealer to flatten them and for photos, eyeliner drawn in brows for the “femme outline”. Out in public, whatever the pro make up artist chooses to use. I’m too busy enjoying the experience of being made up by a “GG” to know or care what they are using..
Happy (make up) dressing
1 user thanked author for this post.
- May 11, 2021 at 6:29 pm #491029Eileen BachBaronessRegistered On: February 27, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 69Has thanked: 19 timesBeen thanked: 311 times
- May 13, 2021 at 7:18 am #491629Stephanie KennedyPrincessRegistered On: March 15, 2019Topics: 13Replies: 862Has thanked: 5586 timesBeen thanked: 3453 times
Thank you Eileen for sticking up for us mature lovely ladies. I felt bad just reading the words OLD BAG what a picture.
- May 12, 2021 at 6:25 am #491215Michaela JaneLadyRegistered On: December 9, 2016Topics: 24Replies: 333Has thanked: 337 timesBeen thanked: 827 times
Eileen, I hear what you say and I am sorry that you feel offended by the way I described myself in my post. No offence was meant to anyone and indeed, during my lifetime, I have heard the term repeatedly. In fact, my late mother used the term to describe herself often in her later years and she was certainly no overly macho man. When she used that expression, everyone in the family just laughed, it was just part of conversation in a normal family gathering and nobody was offended.
- May 12, 2021 at 5:16 pm #491485Eileen BachBaronessRegistered On: February 27, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 69Has thanked: 19 timesBeen thanked: 311 times
Dear Micheala Jane,
I’m not as overly offended as I seem to be, others might be though. I prefer ‘mature’ as a description.
True that most make up tutorial are for younger women. Mostly because that at my youngish age of 64, I should have the make up procedure nailed down by now.
- May 11, 2021 at 7:59 pm #491060Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 21Replies: 2217Has thanked: 4563 timesBeen thanked: 8151 times
Point taken, Eileen. I happen to be a very informal girl, and I’ve reached that stage in life where almost nothing you could say will upset me. But not everyone will see things in the same light as I do.
- May 11, 2021 at 7:46 am #490779Michaela JaneLadyRegistered On: December 9, 2016Topics: 24Replies: 333Has thanked: 337 timesBeen thanked: 827 times
I have just come across “Sixty and Me” on youtube. This seems a little more up my street. Even one video of a two minute make up application, although of course, Margaret Manning has had years of practice. 🤐
- May 10, 2021 at 4:11 pm #490547JACKIE SlipsDuchessRegistered On: July 29, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 58Has thanked: 139 timesBeen thanked: 184 times
- May 11, 2021 at 7:02 am #490760Dani21LadyRegistered On: April 5, 2021Topics: 3Replies: 10Has thanked: 52 timesBeen thanked: 60 times
Hi Jackie, How long have you been using your air brush system? Of course they make it look so easy on the commercials. I’m almost ready to buy one. Thanks for your advise.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- May 12, 2021 at 1:19 pm #491353JACKIE SlipsDuchessRegistered On: July 29, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 58Has thanked: 139 timesBeen thanked: 184 times
HI DANI i have used the luminess about 10 times it takes a little time to master it but each time you get better at it .I think it is well worth the time and effort though .first i use the airbrush concealer (need about drops) then silk 4-in 1 foundation (about 8 drops have to pick out your shade ) then soft rose blush 6 drops then love illuminator about 6 or 8 drops .after you are done it is very important to clean the stylus.i had trouble with my stylus and they sent a new one for $2.50 so they are good that way .i think where they make there money is on the makeup .i was on the auto – delivery every 2 months for 39.95 but i canceled it i just order when i need it .if i can be of more help i would love to just message me .have fun hon let me know how you make out . HUGS JACKIE
- May 10, 2021 at 11:43 am #490434Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 16Replies: 1187Has thanked: 3828 timesBeen thanked: 5719 times
Simplest eyeliner is the crease – just get an eyeliner pen, and draw a nice, bold line where the lashes meet the lids.
Angle the pen so the inner corner of the eye lies up with the bridge of your nose on each side, and draw about a cm, and keep the same angle for a slightly shorter line at the outer edge of the eye.
Job done – and it’s 3 simple lines each side.
Because your face is masculine, and maybe you’d like it to be more feminine?
Contours and highlights effectively change the shape of your face – it will make good makeup look pretty. It will shrink your nose, arch your eyebrows and soften your brownie, sharpen your cheekbones and even dimple your chin.
It’s a bit of a black art, but soooo unbelievably useful, especially to CDs!
- May 10, 2021 at 5:37 am #490272GenevïéveLadyRegistered On: July 28, 2020Topics: 30Replies: 1342Has thanked: 11452 timesBeen thanked: 5540 times
- May 10, 2021 at 5:45 am #490281LadyRegistered On: December 9, 2016Topics: 24Replies: 333Has thanked: 337 timesBeen thanked: 827 times
Nothing to do with not liking it Gen, it’s more a question of “do I really need it?” I think I am trying to find out how much is actually essential for an old bag in order to hide the shadow. My late wife hardly ever used more than a bit of lippy and always looked great. Of course, she didn’t have the shadow to hide.
- May 9, 2021 at 9:09 pm #490206Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 21Replies: 2217Has thanked: 4563 timesBeen thanked: 8151 times
I’m deep into “old bag” territory, and a member of the less is better group. I still can’t use concealer properly for contouring, so I manage fairly well with just a spray primer, plus foundation,powder and a bit of blush, eye shadow, eyebrow pencil and lipstick.
Eyeliner doesn’t seem to work for me, and I don’t have enough lashes for mascara. I use a light touch for everything except brow pencil.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Bettylou Cox.
- May 10, 2021 at 11:46 am #490439Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 16Replies: 1187Has thanked: 3828 timesBeen thanked: 5719 times
- May 10, 2021 at 11:59 am #490448DuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 21Replies: 2217Has thanked: 4563 timesBeen thanked: 8151 times
- May 10, 2021 at 2:48 pm #490512Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 16Replies: 1187Has thanked: 3828 timesBeen thanked: 5719 times
- May 10, 2021 at 9:16 pm #490641DuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 21Replies: 2217Has thanked: 4563 timesBeen thanked: 8151 times
- May 10, 2021 at 5:43 am #490279GenevïéveLadyRegistered On: July 28, 2020Topics: 30Replies: 1342Has thanked: 11452 timesBeen thanked: 5540 times
- May 10, 2021 at 8:02 am #490313
- May 10, 2021 at 5:39 am #490273LadyRegistered On: December 9, 2016Topics: 24Replies: 333Has thanked: 337 timesBeen thanked: 827 times
I have a phobia of anything near my eyes, so eyeliner & mascara are out of the question for me. Even opticians have a hard time getting my eyeball pressure because of it. LOL If I could just camouflage the 5 o’clock shadow that seems to get darker every time I look at it, I might feel better about my looks.
- May 9, 2021 at 8:42 pm #490194Camryn OccasionnelDuchessRegistered On: December 10, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 517Has thanked: 911 timesBeen thanked: 1301 times
Hi, Michaela, I also am 74, and (speaking only for myself), I believe I’m firmly ensconced among the “old bag” cohort.
But I think that’s right, most of the internet tutorials I’ve watched feature young women (or young CDs) 40 years younger than me! I found several “older lady” makeup tutorials, but I found this one just recently (although it’s 3 years old). I mostly like it because I really like the lady, Margaret Manning, who has a youtube channel called “Sixty and Me”. Watching her makeup tutorials make me think there might be some hope for me.
Here’s one which speaks to the “less is more” makeup principal for the mature woman. If you haven’t already seen it, you might be interested:
— Camryn Occasionnel
- May 9, 2021 at 11:56 am #490022Robyn DrakeDuchessRegistered On: March 19, 2019Topics: 52Replies: 375Has thanked: 491 timesBeen thanked: 1077 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.