Viewing 7 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Not that I consider myself “an old bag” but….. At 74, I feel that less makeup is probably better for me. I have kinda binge watched YouTube makeup tutorials and all they do for me is make me depressed. So much stuff to buy, so many layers, do I really need to contour my wrinkled face, do I really need blusher….. ? 😩

Do any of you lovelies know of any tutorials for us OAPs who really only need to hide the 5 o’clock shadow and add a bit of lippy?

Quick minimal makeup…lipstick, eyeliner, a smudge of mascara, a dab of blush…10 minutes.

Hi, Michaela, I also am 74, and (speaking only for myself), I believe I’m firmly ensconced among the “old bag” cohort.

But I think that’s right, most of the internet tutorials I’ve watched feature young women (or young CDs) 40 years younger than me! I found several “older lady” makeup tutorials, but I found this one just recently (although it’s 3 years old). I mostly like it because I really like the lady, Margaret Manning, who has a youtube channel called “Sixty and Me”. Watching her makeup tutorials make me think there might be some hope for me.

Here’s one which speaks to the “less is more” makeup principal for the mature woman. If you haven’t already seen it, you might be interested:

youtube.com/watch?v=8MmOQyeS038

— Camryn Occasionnel

Thank you for this. I will watch it more than twice!

Anonymous

I’m deep into “old bag” territory, and a member of the less is better group. I still can’t use concealer properly for contouring, so I manage fairly well with just a spray primer, plus foundation,powder and a bit of blush, eye shadow, eyebrow pencil and lipstick.
      Eyeliner doesn’t seem to work for me, and I don’t have enough lashes for mascara. I use a light touch for everything except brow pencil.

I have a phobia of anything near my eyes, so eyeliner & mascara are out of the question for me.  Even opticians have a hard time getting my eyeball pressure because of it. LOL   If I could just camouflage the 5 o’clock shadow that seems to get darker every time I look at it, I might feel better about my looks.

The Jecca Blac concealer is a revelation for me (other orange products are available).

Smear it over the beard area before applying foundation, and bye-bye 5 o’clock shadow. Or, rather, au revoir, but much later!

Love Laura

Anonymous

Beard shadow can be a major problem for some girls; for others, not so much. I’m blessed with a light beard, so all I need is a little blush on my upper lip. I am careful to get a good, close shave before doing makeup, however.

Oh, you’re so lucky, Betty Lou!

My 5 o’clock shadow starts appearing at 7:30am, an hour after I usually shave…

Love Laura

Anonymous

Yes, I am a lucky girl, where hair is concerned, Laura; none on my chest, back, legs or armpits. Now if I can only hold on to that which is on my head…….

Hugs,
            Bettylou

Simplest eyeliner is the crease – just get an eyeliner pen, and draw a nice, bold line where the lashes meet the lids.

Angle the pen so the inner corner of the eye lies up with the bridge of your nose on each side, and draw about a cm, and keep the same angle for a slightly shorter line at the outer edge of the eye.

Job done – and it’s 3 simple lines each side.

Why contouring?

Because your face is masculine, and maybe you’d like it to be more feminine?

Contours and highlights effectively change the shape of your face – it will make good makeup look pretty. It will shrink your nose, arch your eyebrows and soften your brownie, sharpen your cheekbones and even dimple your chin.

It’s a bit of a black art, but soooo unbelievably useful, especially to CDs!

Love Laura

Anonymous

have been using the luminess air brush i think it helps and they have good how-to videos   HUGS JACKIE

Dani21
        Lady

Hi Jackie, How long have you been using your air brush system? Of course they make it look so easy on the commercials. I’m almost ready to buy one. Thanks for your advise.

Anonymous

HI DANI  i have used the luminess about 10 times it takes a little time to master it but each time you get better at it .I think it is well worth the time and effort though .first i use the airbrush concealer (need about drops) then silk 4-in 1 foundation (about 8 drops have to pick out your shade ) then soft rose blush 6 drops then love illuminator about 6 or 8 drops .after you are done it is very important to clean the stylus.i had trouble with my stylus and they sent a new one for $2.50 so they are good that way .i think where they make there money is on the makeup .i was on the auto – delivery every 2 months for 39.95 but i canceled it i just order when i need it .if i can be of more help i would love to just message me .have fun hon let me know how you make out .  HUGS JACKIE

I have just come across “Sixty and Me” on youtube. This seems a little more up my street. Even one video of a two minute make up application, although of course, Margaret Manning has had years of practice. 🤐

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

I’ in the over 70’s bracket and I use Kryolan “TV stick”, (no pun intended,think it’s for harsh lighting in television studios) for foundation.

Setting powder and a little blush over that. Rest if the face…. eye shadow, pencil eyeliner and mascara.

Brows get clear mascara and concealer to flatten them and for photos, eyeliner drawn in brows for the “femme outline”. Out in public, whatever the pro make up artist chooses to use. I’m too busy enjoying the experience of being made up by a “GG” to know or care what they are using..

Happy (make up) dressing

Caty.

Nothing to do with not liking it Gen, it’s more a question of “do I really need it?”  I think I am trying to find out how much is actually essential for an old bag in order to hide the shadow. My late wife hardly ever used more than a bit of lippy and always looked great. Of course, she didn’t have the shadow to hide.

Anonymous

Same here, Gen; I love the look, but I can’t make it look right on myself.

Anonymous

Point taken, Eileen. I happen to be a very informal girl, and I’ve reached that stage in life where almost nothing you could say will upset me. But not everyone will see things in the same light as I do.
      Hugs,
      Bettylou

Eileen, I hear what you say and I am sorry that you feel offended by the way I described myself in my post. No offence was meant to anyone and indeed, during my lifetime, I have heard the term repeatedly. In fact, my late mother used the term to describe herself often in her later years and she was certainly no overly macho man. When she used that expression, everyone in the family just laughed, it was just part of conversation in a normal family gathering and nobody was offended.

Thank you Eileen  for sticking up for us mature lovely ladies. I felt bad just reading the words OLD BAG what a picture.

Luv Stephanie

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?