Viewing 6 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

On another CD site, I read that crossdressers were supposed to steer clear of puff sleeves because they accentuate our wide shoulders and arms. I can’t totally agree with that.

Yes, if you buy an outfit or top that has your normal shoulder width, they can absolutely do what they are saying. However, if you know your shoulder width, and plan accordingly, it can have the opposite effect.

I have 18 inch wide shoulders. If I buy a dress or top, that has puffy sleeves, with 15.5 inch shoulders, my extra wide shoulders get hidden within the large puffy sleeves. Not only that but my larger biceps look exactly the same size in the puff sleeves as do a genetic girl’s slender arms. The sleeve is the same size for both of us. The narrower shoulder width actually hides the broadness of my shoulders hiding within the puff sleeves.

To be honest, I really hated the way they look on GG’s and resisted them when I started buying girl clothes. But after seeing the effect, I definitely don’t shy away from them because of some other site’s opinion. Honestly, form fitting sleeves show my triceps A LOT. The models on that site have such thin arms that it’s no wonder they have that opinion. But I don’t have their physique.

Don’t go overboard with the puff sleeves though. I still don’t particularly like the look. But I did learn how they can help hide my arms and shoulders within moderation.

Anonymous

Good tip Mika, love the outfit by the way and you have such lovely slim legs!

Wildly jealous Diana

Structured “power” sleeves would over exaggerate the shoulders, but a slight soft “puffed” sleeve is actually a great look. I have a teal nylon “puffy” elastic sleeve blouse that has a shiny “scale” motif. I paired it with a 25.5″ black pencil skirt and, IMO, it became one of my best outfits.

Yeah, one can easily go overboard with a big a@@ puff sleeve. I can’t stand seeing a GG in them much less myself.

I’m a HUGE fan of puff shoulder tops and I’m thrilled they are back in style. I agree, the more exaggerated puff can make you look a little top heavy, but I find that the less exaggerated puff is actually more flattering than not. I like the way is softens the shoulders. Basically, I’m talking about “princess sleeves”, as opposed to puff sleeves. Most of my puff shoulder dresses and tops are from & Other Stories and they all taper down to become more form fitting in the forearm and wrist, which I think makes my arms look long and slender, while soft on top.

EXACTLY. I couldn’t agree with you more. I like the ones with fitted forearms too.

Hi Mika 💕

Personally I don’t have that problem anymore but I totally agree with you. The puff sleeves are perfect for hiding wide shoulders and arms.

Hugs Lily

I am so happy that you don’t have to worry about hiding your shoulders anymore. Being Lily-Rose full time now must be such a weight lifted and such a magical feeling.

Lots of hugs!

Indeed it is. But also a very strange feeling. I’ve fantasizing about doing this for the better part of my life. Now I’m doing it. I go to work as a woman, wearing makeup and the only comments I’ve got is positive reactions. I even got complimented for my eye makeup today.

Hugs Lily

That’s wonderful! Eye makeup is the most important and the most difficult to do. I bet it’s almost a surreal experience at this early stage. I know I tell you this all the time but I am so happy for you Lily-Rose! I really mean it.

Hi Mika 💕

I want to thank you for being so supportive. I can feel that it’s for real and your words are so comforting. The way I’m doing my everyday eye makeup is rather easy. It’s Jecca Blac playpot gold on the eyelids, eyeliner and a royal blue mascara both on the upper and lower lashes. And some pale gold on the lower lid. It’s something I’ve worked out myself. I know I’m not passable, I don’t care, I’m me! for the first time in my life.

And once again thank you so much for your support ❤️😘

Hugs Lily-Rose

It feels so strange to be called Lily at work, and to introduce myself as Lily. And at the same time it feels so good, that I’m actually doing what I’ve been longing for my whole life.

Zoe
      Lady

Good point: clothes can be used to break up the ‘inverted triangle’ of the male body. I generally wear flared skirts to give the visual rhyme of bust and hips. Often I have to choose tops a size up from bottoms, if not more, to account for my chest measurement, shoulders and sleeve length. For this reason I have a lot of sleeveless tops and dresses.Puff sleeves do cover a multitude of sins.

That’s a great point about the skirt and tops difference. Not only do I just love a flared skater skirt anyway, but it does help give me more shape down there (plus it hides stuff if I don’t want to tuck). I have recently bought some layered flare skirts for the same reason and they just happen to be “in” this season.

I wish I could pull off a sleeveless look. My arms are still a bit muscular and, even though I have been losing weight, there is still some subcutaneous fat on my arms that add to their size. I have some cami dresses and pinafore dresses but, at this time, I still wear a fitted shirt underneath. I did buy a half sleeve recently. I’m on the fence about it because of my forearm size. But a few more months or weight loss might change that.

Jill Marshall
      Duchess

For myself I love anything that has some puff or even a little pleat in the shoulder for exactly the reasons stated–it helps make work something more fitted or slimming in the chest.  Often with my male presenting shirts, unless I find the right cut in slim fit, if I buy something based on the shoulder measurement I’ll be swimming in it at the underarms and at the waist, and it gathers up and looks frumpy.   In women’s clothing I buy for the chest size (kind of a waste to go to all the trouble with forms, only to flood them over with shirt)  and consequently end up tight in the shoulders most of the time. So anything that has a little extra going on in those areas where my physical shape would otherwise protrude, helps tremendously.

Perhaps just as importantly is that from a style repertoire standpoint, puff shoulders or sleeves are just so uniquely delicate and feminine.  I know you said you dont like them on GG’s but in the wild, and yes it can be 80’s prom overdone, but I generally speaking I find a tasteful shoulder puff show-stoppingly cute.

I love your 80’s prom description. That’s exactly what has gotten in my head that I don’t like. But a little subtle puff sleeve isn’t bad.

OMG! I never even thought about the purse strap thing! That’s something that I struggled with on my first public outing. My trapezius muscles are still a bit too prominent and I have issues with my purse and pinafore dresses. It’s funny too because I have a green swing dress that I plan on wearing Wednesday for St Patrick’s day. It has regular style lace sleeves and I haven’t worn it yet because I have been losing weight. When I bought it, it fit perfectly with my padded seamless bra. I think it should be perfect with my breast forms now though. I can’t wait to wear it. There’s a bit of story behind it but I’ll wait to share it when I post the photo.

Thanks, Sam. I’ve considered some of those other styles myself.

I have a bodysuit that bucks conventional wisdom as well. It has shoulder pads. When I bought it online, I didn’t know that it had shoulder pads. Of course, bodysuits aren’t usually returnable and I had to keep it anyway. But as you pointed out, we all have different body types and one of my issues is my prominent trapezius muscles. Lo and behold, the shoulder pads actually flattened out the look of my shoulders and made them look a bit more feminine.

Just goes to show that we all shouldn’t shy away from experimenting with our clothes choices.

Jill Marshall
      Duchess

Exactly, these styles allow one to fine tune what works for the body, for the occasion, the weather, the time, the eye, the mood.  And thats just shoulders!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?