Viewing 8 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

I read an interesting article this morning titled “My Husband Wants to Be a Woman” by Emma Holiday. It was posted at https://medium.com/. I ready enjoyed the article and I think that it can apply to many of us here. It doesn’t give any magic words to convince your spouse to accept you with open arms. It does give valid reasons why the statement ‘my husband wants to be woman’ should be done away with. I want to post part of the article as many of us can identify with those words.

Your husband doesn’t want to be a woman, she is one. She is a woman trying to be a man because the world forced her to be one in order to survive. The world has finally given her a way out of the jail cell. She never knew there was even a door.

She needs to finally be herself. Don’t judge her if she is not the man you want her to be, accept her as the person that she is.

You may actually like her.

After all she is already your best friend.”

There is also a picture at the top of the article of 2 women sitting together and there is a caption under the picture that reads “Friendships this deep are rare. Never let them go.” That statement touched my heart.

Hugs,

Eva

P.S. Emma Holiday, I applaud you! 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

Not long ago there was a thread on TGH that discussed the possibilities of staying together after transition. The person was asking if that could happen. I’ve not seen any data, but clearly it does happen. However, I think it is very difficult to predict beforehand and quite possibly the odds may not be favorable.

There is a parallel for me. 13 years ago my wife had a bad bicycle accident that resulted in a spinal cord injury (SCI). While she can walk very slowly with a walker, she primarily uses a wheelchair for mobility. She is a member of various national and international SCI web sites and I was surprised at the number of people who abandoned their injured partners. So, putting this in the context of transgender people, I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise that some partners can’t go the distance. Human nature is not perfect and we all have different limits…

Anonymous

That’s truly sad, DeeAnn. Did they skip over the part about “for better or worse”? I could see an exception for a wife whose husband had the surgery, but otherwise………?

I confess that I don’t understand the thought process. However, I do think that the 2 situations have a common thread:

“I didn’t sign up for this…”

Some years back, when my father-in-law was still alive, he told me that the family was so thankful for all that I did to support my wife. Essentially I said what you mentioned, but the other phrase “…in sickness and in health…”. I also said that I had no doubt that if the situation was reversed, she would do an even better job than I could. Turned out it was a prophetic statement as I had a mild stroke in September of 2016. Between the hospital and rehab I was away for 2 1/2 weeks. In that time, I think she only missed a couple of days of visits and that was no easy feat as she has to manhandle her chair in and out of her car.

When I came home she helped me deal with this new reality. Anyway, nearly 5 years later, we’re still doing OK. I am reminded of the phrase:

“It isn’t about what you can’t do, it’s about what you can do…”.

Anyway, getting back to trans people and their partners, clearly it is a supreme test of the relationship. But, I do personally know of some couples who have continued. To be honest, I have no insight as to the dynamics of the relationships, but they are still together…

Anonymous

DeeAnn, it’s amazing what a person can accomplish, if she just makes up her mind that she is going to do it. Period. It reminds me of a conversation with my elder daughter, several years ago when she was having marital problems. At the end, she told me she understood: The only people who stay married are those who decide in advance that they are going to stay married. They recently celebrated their 30th anniversary.

I was married to my 1st wife for 30 years. Our 2 kids are over and approaching 40. We separated in October of 2003. I think by that time we knew how to fix things, but neither of us had any desire. Too many things had happened and and it just didn’t seem to be worth the effort. This is also the 2nd marriage for my wife. I think what has happened is that our 1st marriages have informed our 2nd ones.

In any argument, there is a point where one word too many causes things to just go over the cliff. My 1st wife was very good at that, or in other words, she knew exactly where to place the lit match for best effect. These days, we realize when we are approaching the abyss and steer clear of it.

Live and Learn…

Anonymous

DeeAnn,

It saddens me to read about the breakup of your first marriage after 30 years; but I applaud you for being able to start over. It is something I could never have done, for many reasons. It would have isolated me entirely from society, and I would most likely not be around this long. And it’s good that you learned how to back away when you get close to the edge; too many never learn that.

Hugs,
            Bettlyou

In looking back, we were probably 2 very good friends who perhaps should not have gotten married. As I eventually figured out, both of our expectations as to what constituted a marriage were not really aligned with reality…

Leonara
        Ambassador

Deeann,
        I can relate to your experience in reverse circumstances…. by surprise my wife encountered Leonara…we had the “talk”. As she was processing her husband’s revelation of crossdressing, I had emergency spinal cord surgery.. as a result I had 9 weeks of inpatient physical and occupational therapy
        Kathy visited me every day (except 2 due to snow conditions).my operation was two years ago. I am grateful to her being there “through sickness & health” and she has given me the opportunity to present my alter ego when she is not home.. “don’t ask don’t tell..
        Thank you ladies for listening
        Regards, Leonara

Anonymous

It can be a struggle for both partners. Most of us knew this about ourselves at a very early age. And I think most knew it doesn’t go away. I thought it did for me. Or hoped it did? But how many tell our SO before getting married? I know why we don’t. I understand “for better or worse” but does that apply to things we knew but chose not to reveal? Many SOs feel deceived or betrayed. Would they have married had they known? Should they have been given the chance to opt out? We shouldn’t be surprised when they struggle with it. Are they grieving a loss? Should we just grieve the loss of our female side and move on for the betterment of our SO and our marriage? There are more to our vows than “for better or worse”.
      Feeling melancholy.

Eva:

I am a member at Medium and I searched the site. Nothing came up for:

My Husband Wants to Be a Woman

I also searched for, and found, Emma Holiday, but none of her titles matched…

It can be a struggle for both partners. Most of us knew this about ourselves at a very early age. And I think most knew it doesn’t go away.

I don’t think we do know – I believe we don’t understand it because of social conditioning.

I thought it did for me. Or hoped it did?

Yes, this is very common. We think getting married will cure it – all kinds of things, because we don’t understand it.

Until the internet, who on earth could you talk to about it without giving the game away?

Remember, you think it’s something you can just give up at this stage.

But how many tell our SO before getting married? I know why we don’t. I understand “for better or worse” but does that apply to things we knew but chose not to reveal?

“For better or worse” applies to everything, obviously, as people change over time.

“Chose not to reveal” is a bit strong! Is it really a choice? I see how it can be interpreted as such, but is it really that simple?

Many SOs feel deceived or betrayed.

Why?

Why by cross dressing and not any other secret?

Both are strong words – betrayed implies trust or promises broken, while none have been, so no-one has been betrayed – this is way off the mark.

Deception implies that the other person has a right to know, and implies intent to deceive.

Well, as already acknowledged, most of us think we can stop (until we discover otherwise – the information about how ingrained CDing can be is hard to find and come to terms with).

So there is no actual intent – and as for “right to know”, this only applies if it affects the relationship, and the only reason it would affect the relationship is her feelings on the subject.

Some women accept readily, some over time, some believe that they can never accept – it’s their choice.

Do they love the person, or are material things more important, is the real question.

So “Deception” is much too strong a word.

Would they have married had they known?

And would we have married them if we’d realised all these things – and known how shallow the person is to think like this?

Wow – so love is not the important thing? Appearance is?

Ever seen the film “Shallow Hal”?

Should they have been given the chance to opt out?

Anyone can file for divorce – there are plenty of chances to “opt out” – but how insulting!

Opt out over clothes?

Shallow Hal!

We shouldn’t be surprised when they struggle with it.

Yes, we absolutely should be – but, because of the way we’re brought up, I do understand.

Yes, we should be very sympathetic and try to empathise at the highest level.

To struggle with it is something we’ve done all our lives because of society’s crazy attitudes, why prolong it? Why should anyone have the struggle at all?

It’s the same attitudes that put the woman in that position – so we absolutely should be sympathetic until attitudes change.

I am not advocating that we shouldn’t be supportive of the woman we love enough to be married to – but we should expect support ourselves.

We are doing nothing wrong. Far from it!

Are they grieving a loss?

No. The man they married is still there. Nothing has changed (for the worse!). There is no loss – it’s about understanding and perspective.

Should we just grieve the loss of our female side and move on for the betterment of our SO and our marriage?

We should absolutely move on for the betterment of our marriage – but there are two people involved, it’s not just about her.

Giving up pur femme side will never happen, because it’s there. We already confirmed that.

Trying to give it up is harmful to our own mental health, damaging to our marriage, fuelling resentment, and ultimately damaging to our SO.

It’s better by far to embrace who you are, to be a free soul in a trapped environment, and roll with the kicks and punches to come than to be a prisoner.

So no.

Never, ever give up on yourself.

Do your very, very best to take away any pain your SO might be feeling – be the very best husband you can be, but make “you” time.

Love means giving the other person room to be themselves.

This is vital.

There are more to our vows than “for better or worse”.

Yes, but that’s one of them.

I have no respect for a woman who divorces her husband to marry a richer one.

“For richer or poorer” is a vow too.

We have broken no vows, but there are plenty who do.

There are no vows along the lines of “Do not be yourself if you happen to like something that some updated members of society frown upon, but which have never been against the law, and which are currently encouraged in these modern times of gender diversity and awareness of mental health issues. ”

Feeling melancholy.

I hope that I have made you feel happier, I genuinely do!

Please understand that it’s the words and phrases that I have torn apart (I have read similar things so many times online that I am getting to be an expert at weeding out the toxicity!), and I really, really want my replies to have a positive effect.

I am all about the positivity.

I see the words I have replied to as having come from a bad place, not a bad person – but acknowledge that I get a tad overbearing  when I see certain “trigger” phrases.

I truly hope that this is helpful.

Love Laura

Anonymous

Hi Laura

Thanks for the thoughtful response. However, I think you missed my basic point. Relationships are built on honesty, communication, transparency, all that. If a marriage starts without that, someone is going to be hurt when they find out it was kept from them. And the one who is exposed (for lack of a better word) is definitely no longer the same person to the other. Things have now fundamentally changed. And many do feel betrayed or deceived. I’m sure some have lesser reactions.  It doesn’t matter if it’s crossdressing or a large amount of debt or a drinking problem. If what was not revealed by choice (and it is a choice to reveal something or not) and it is later revealed or discovered, we shouldn’t be surprised if there is a less than positive reaction from the other. Whatever the words of the vows, the basic concept is we will care about and tend to the needs of each other. So that goes both ways. Many couples are able to work things out. But unfortunately, many can’t.
        I don’t think there was any “toxicity” in what I wrote that had to be weeded out, so not sure where that came from. I hope I can have a different opinion here without it being called toxic, regardless of the good intentions in calling it that. I may have been feeling melancholy, but my words did not come from a “bad place”. They came from trying to be honest. And that’s a good place.

Hi honey

I’ve read the exact phrases before, and I stick by what I said – those phrases get my back up, because they’re toxic – they put cross dressing into the same space as something like a bad debt – which it fundamentally is not.

Self expression is a fundamental human right.

The comedian Rowan Atkinson puts it just below food in terms of importance to human existence.

What you have said since is true, but bears little relevance to cross dressing.

We’re not in disagreement, but let’s think about how toxic some of those phrases are – how they cast cross dressing into a bad light, like it’s something we shouldn’t be doing.

It’s not against the law in my country. It doesn’t impact anything except ingrained attitudes, which are being unravelled now, in the 21st Century. Let’s leave the 20th Century in the past, where it belongs.

Transparency is vital in relationships, but there’s a big discussion in there – we can’t simply wrap it up in one phrase.

If a man wants to transition, that’s a different conversation with far wider reaching implications – but fundamentally, it’s all about the human being.

Love Laura

Anonymous

Hi Laura,

I’m sorry this gets your back up. Again, just because you don’t agree doesn’t make it toxic. You told Lisa she shouldn’t consider your opinions wrong but you feel it’s okay to consider mine toxic. Why is that? But I stand by what I said also. The original post was about the response of the SO. And to some SOs, cross dressing is in a bad light and always will be. I don’t know how you got from the context of the marriage covenant to “it’s a free country”. Of course it’s a free country, but it’s not every man for himself in marriage. Feel free to self-actualize, but don’t expect your partner to climb to the top of Maslow’s pyramid with you. I’ve simply been talking about honesty in a relationship, especially marriage. I didn’t say CD was in the same space as too much debt. I said not revealing it to your SO was like not revealing any other significant issue. You’re right, there needs to be a big discussion about transparency, especially between SOs about CD. I say it’s best if it takes place prior to marriage for the benefit of the future marriage, or any serious commitment, because the CD can’t expect the SO to welcome it into the relationship just because it’s something you want or need. You might have to sacrifice one or the other to some extent. Maybe. Maybe not.

Anonymous

[quote quote=496939]I am a member at Medium and I searched the site. Nothing came up for: My Husband Wants to Be a Woman I also searched for, and found, Emma Holiday, but none of her titles matched…[/quote]
      I just looked and I no longer see the article. Sorry, it may have been taken down.

That’s odd. I don’t see any way for it to have been offensive. Sounds like it was written from a very straightforward viewpoint. Also, I believe it would have been cleared to publish in the first place…

Anonymous

If an article has meaning for me, I make a copy in my Google Docs. I have a copy of this article and I saved it on April 17. It is titled “My Husband Wants to Be a Woman” and it is authored by Emma Holiday. Not sure why it is not up on the Medium website.

Jackie
      Ambassador

Then by all means let him. You or no one else can stop anyone from being who they truly are, no one. I have a good friend who wanted to stop cross dressing, being bi-sexual and do what is deemed as the right thing and that to be dedicated to hie wife and raise they’re children wait for grandkids to come along. BUT, he cannot stop cross dressing nor can he remain faithful to his wife because he likes the same sex as himself and can’t stop. Why after countless hours with a variety of therapists and lot’s of office payments to them he still dresses and still sleeps with the same sex. Why? It’s an easy riddle.

[postquote quote=496952]

No, it isn’t belittling to say it’s just clothes and I haven’t changed, it is the truth.

You are welcome to your opinions, please don’t tell me mine are wrong.

It IS just clothes. They are clothes. You wear them.

I am the same person I’ve always been.

On a technical level, that probably isn’t true  – we change as we get older, and I like to think that I improve all the time, so yes, I change daily.

But I haven’t changed as in transformed into someone else – that is a complete nonsense.

That phrase about “being married to a woman” makes my hackles rise, so I apologise for the tone, but it is RUBBISH.

I am not a woman and do not pretend to be. I am a cross dresser – there’s the clue. I am a man. Still. I. Have. Not. Changed.

My wife wanted the phrase about obeying to be removed from our wedding vows.

Obeying is for servants – and I am happily her humble servant, and for my children and the rest of my family and friends too. But it’s a choice.

Everything is a choice.

To accept cross dressing or not is a choice.

It’s a form of self expression.

To deny or suppress it is to deny and suppress part of the person.

And that is wrong.

Love Laura

I must disagree, Laura, and I am not saying you are wrong, just that my opinion is different, which is why I contemplate whether or not I am “just” a crossdresser.
        Dressing, has changed me, and since I always have something feminine on, even if it is just my nails, I am not, the same person I was. I can, and do, still bring out the traits that made him,”him”, but I seldom do. My emotions have changed, my thought have changed, my mannerisms, changed, my looks have changed, in short, I, have changed.
        I realize each of us is different, and the reasons we do what we do, vary, but this is my story.
        Hugs, Regi👸💕

Hi Eva I enjoyed your post and agree with you about your feeling towards Emma Holiday. Thank you for turning me on to the Medium.com there are so many interesting articles. I would of loved to read more about Emma Holiday she sounds lovely. Like others i could not find Article It is frustrating when Article just disappears. My wife was telling about a article she just got done reading and when i asked a few questions she tried to look the article up again and a just disappeared. Any way I did read a article on the medium.com that i found very interesting by Pandora Hughes “Some people are trans” Its a great read. Thank you again for medium and your post

Luv Stephanie

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Transitioning for Transsexual Women’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?