Viewing 12 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

How do girls deal with broader than the average girl shoulders?  I find it difficult to find dresses wide enough in the shoulder so I wear shoulder less dresses which I think draws attention to my shoulders.  One of my public pictures shows the problem. Any fashion advice would be welcome

Jennifer

Anonymous

Dress sizes are based on bust and waist measurements. For me, a dress sized for my waist will usually fit around my shoulders, except for dresses made of a non-stretch fabric. My solution has been to avoid these fabrics, instead opting for knit or those made with some Spandex in the material. The stretchy fabrics are more forgiving of the differences between male and female upper body shape. Unless you are built like JJ Watt; then all bets are off, and I don’t know.
      I use the dress size charts for tops, also.

Thanks Bettylou,  I had not thought about the fabric.  It just had not occurred to me.  Some items with sleeves I ended up ripping under the arm,  they would have worked if they stretched.

Dresses in stretchy fabric for sure, as Bettylou advises. But I get around the problem mostly by wearing skirts and tops. That way I can get two different sizes if necessary.

Thanks  Lori

I mostly dress in private and when I do I have always liked dresses more than skirts and tops.  I should change my look and try something new

Jennifer

Jennifer…….oh there are bigger  dresses  are in stores.  Mind you…..a girl must always have a good seamstress!

Dame Veronica

Hi Jennifer,

I have broad shoulders and as was said I tend to look for dresses with stretchy fabric.

Also I look for long or at least a short sleeve to hide my shoulders some.

I can wear size six jeans but because of my shoulders I have to get a 14 or 16 dress to fit if its not a stretchy fabric.

Patty.

Anonymous

You’re welcome, Jennifer. I didn’t rip any dresses, but I had to return a couple after an attempt to get them on. Then, I began paying attention to the fabric.

IsabelB
      Lady

It can be a challenge alright, Jennifer.
      Over time, I’ve learned what to look for in sizes to fit my upper body – either a UK 16 or 18 depending on shop, style, material and fit.  I’m now pretty good at getting it right and not ending up with something which is just impossibly tight to wear or looks ridiculous.

I’ve also learned what just doesn’t work – thin straps, for example, just seem to make my shoulders look huge.  Most round necked tops do the same, so I nearly always go for v-necks or polo necks.

It is easier to buy tops and skirts to allow for the different top/bottom sizes (I’m a 14 in a skirt), but I do like dresses…  I was lucky enough to be at a CD event earlier this year where I could wear a proper ball gown – no top and skirt could beat that feeling 🙂

Isabel

J J
      Lady

[postquote quote=241963][/postquote]
      Trying something new is always fun and exciting. You never know what you will enjoy. We all tend to buy dresses first, because that is the most femme thing to do, but skirts and blouses are so much easier, and face it, women are wearing dresses less and less these days, which is sad. The good news is skirts and stockings were all the rage in Paris this spring, I saw them everywhere (also in Vienna and London). I had just happened to pick up a navy blue skirt in Chamonix, and since they were everywhere I felt more confident in wearing it out in public. No worries about being recognized nearly a half a world away from where I live. It was wonderful walking the streets of Europe in  skirt and stockings.

Jennifer, I tend to do as Bettylou does if I have a dress it is usually a sweater dress or a very blouse type which will conform to various body styles. But my favorite got too is like JJJohnson suggested and that is I wear lot of Skirts and tops. The great part of that is you can mix and match cuts down the wardrobe your are trying to hide but gives you multiple outfits. The other thing the length, width and my top portions are not always easy to just buy a dress with out trying it on and I do not shop in fem as of yet. With skirt the other thing is I can adjust the Height some what so a little above the leg or a little more above if I like I can hide that with the top over top and a belt. So many options. I do wear some sleeveless tops so to hide them a wear a Half sweater or a bolero, this will hide the shoulder. The other thing I found is Long hair on the shoulders breaks the shoulders so they do not seam as wide. With short hair it tends to display the shoulders. I have seen some GGs that wore short hair with fairly large shoulders at first glance looked like a guy. Just a few thoughts. Good luck girl.
      Hugsss to the shoulders. : )
      Sara

Thanks Sara Marie

I have taken Bettylous advice and bought a plaid stretch skirt and wool top.  I will post a picture when I can.  The fit feels super and they still make me feel sexy.

Jennifer

Ashley
      Lady

Hip pads or skirts/dresses with a nice flare can help make your shoulders look smaller by giving you more width at the hips, or the appearance of it. It will at least help give you a more feminine figure overall even if your shoulders are still noticeable.

Plus flared skirts are just so fun to wear! I do hate being reminded of how huge my shoulders are when I get dressed though.

Hi Ashley

Thanks I will try some flared skirts.  I already have more high heels than mens shoes looks like I will have more skirts than pants and more tops than shirts.

Love

Jennifer

Hi,

I’m no expert but sometimes asymetrical tops can draw the attention away from wide shoulders. Also go with hip pads that are about the same width as your shoulders.

Colors and Patterns…

Darker colors tend to make you look smaller, so darker colors on top and lighter colors to the bottom. You can accomplish this effect a number of ways and even with a dress. For example, a lighter color dress with a dark blazer or perhaps a shrug.

Vertically oriented patterns help. It creates visual illusion that is up and down and not sideways.

Thanks DeeAnn

I have have tried a dark sweater and red tartan skirt and has created a better balance.

Jennifer

It is all about Illusion!!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?