• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

This is a fascinating and interestingly researched and beautifully written book on those that searched and indeed are searching for the half a million British and Empire soldiers who’s whearabouts, are unknown.

It reveals the Heartache and determination of the families in their quest to find their love ones. Parts of the book are not for those of with a weak stomach. Even today 50 lost soldiers a year are  found  their bodies disinterred from their battle field Graves, some are traced by DNA which relatives have given permission to the war graves commission to use, other are laid to rest with a simple white stone with the inscription “Known unto God.” If you are interested in history this is a fascinating  window into the lose and sacrifices, torment and persistence of those that suffered from the great war. Even today families are still affected even mine, for upon the Menin Gate Memorial is the name of one of my relatives who’s battlefield is where he sleeps and waits.

The book is written by Robert Sackville – West and published by Bloomsbury at £25 & £3.68pp

Thank for taking the time to read, I hope you enjoy it.

Lol Amanda xx

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Amanda, because of my mongrel ancestry, I had relatives fighting (and dying) for both sides in the two world wars.  There was a documentary on Canadian tv not long ago about Canadian families looking for lost relatives, very interesting film. One family even got a permit from the French (or Belgiums?) to dig up a former battlefield looking for a lost family member.  They weren’t successful,  thanks for sharing. Hugs, Krista.

Anonymous

Hi Krista,

I fully recommend you read this book if your interested in the subject. There is a part where a father tries to buy the land of the farmers so he could dig for his son. Years later one owner sells him a random plot, by a miracle he digs and finds his son. It’s a great book.

Love to family and friends, hugs to Sandy too Amanda xx

Anonymous

Hi Amanda, sounds like a great read. May you all RIP and may you have found your loved ones when they come to join you. Thank you and bless you all.

Anonymous

Hi Heather,

Thank you sweetie for your kind words.

Totally recommend the book.

Lol Amanda xx

Anonymous

Amanda…

The absolute carnage of world war 1 is well documented…kids charging machine guns to gain just yards …on both sides….

buying land, to then dig up to try to locate a lost loved one…heartbreaking.

Grace x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?