• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Anyone watching Umbrella Academy on Netflix? If not, season 3…the way they handle the transition of Elliot Page’s character is just….well, you gotta watch it. Episode 2. They couldn’t have done it a more tasteful and respectful way…

We have not seen the most recent season.  It will be interesting to watch with my wife.  I’m not sure how much she has followed Elliot’s transition but I think it was something that you would stumble across in general.  Hopefully it brings up conversation although it may reinforce the misguided notion that we all want to transition.

Anonymous

Nancy, I wouldn’t be concerned about that, because as others, his transition did come kind of “out of the blue.” In other words, these are no real hints or clues that Vanya really identified as a man. It is jarring, but I think it illustrates what a lot of us go through, which is intense denial until out of the blue, you realize what you’ve been missing all your life.

Therefore, I feel like it helps illustrate the opposite is also true. Many trans people never “crossdress” so crossdressing in and off itself isn’t also an indication that you do want to transition. There’s literally no clear indicator either way…

I’ve seen the whole thing.  I have… mixed feelings, to be honest.

While I fully support Elliot’s transition, his personal journey does not reflect Vanya/Viktor’s character’s journey, and to be honest the whole thing seems a bit contrived, as supported by Netflix deciding to flip the script and make Viktor trans, even though there was no prior precedent and Elliot was more than willing to play Vanya as written.  A big deal was made of it, which honestly is not surprising given Netflix’s proclivity to embrace/cash in on the LGBTQetc community.

That said, given the decision that was made at least it was done tastefully.  Yes, Viktor became a bit more of a “main character” just on account of his transition, and honestly it eclipsed a bit of the running story that Vanya had in previous seasons which I feel would have been more integral to the overall story that was being told.  But at least room was left for other stories to take place around it (including the engaging and humorous romance between Luther and the alt-sibling whose name escapes me that makes me want to slap all parties involved in the best possible way).

Also, am I the only one that misses Klaus in a skirt?

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Astrid Lenore. Reason: OCD
        Anonymous

I see your point, I guess I was jus afraid there were going to make it some sort of supernatural event – like “bam! You’re a man now!” It’s fantastic that they chose to make it his choice. Does it come out of nowhere? A bit. But just like he tell his sister, it’s not like anyone could’ve known. I expect when I come out more, it will seems similar. Most cis people are so in denial that the don’t see the signs we do…

We loved the Umbrella Academy, and I also had mixed feelings about Vanya’s transition. On the one hand, as Astrid pointed out, it was kind of ham-fisted from a narrative perspective; but, I found it easy to forgive because mainstreaming trans visibility is good for everyone. Maybe Netflix was pandering to the community, but the Umbrella Academy is a mainstream show and I was thrilled to see trans representation normalized even if it sometimes felt forced.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?