- Write left handed
- Write right handed
- Or ambidextrous
Tagged: Left or right had writer
- January 8, 2021 at 3:18 pm #429570Amanda BurtonParticipantRegistered On: January 15, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 1090Has thanked: 7687 timesBeen thanked: 4139 times
Back in the days when my mum thought I was cute, (well not as a teenage that’s for sure) when I first learnt to write I started with my left hand. As I progressed my father for some unknown reason to me, always tried to make me write with my right hand. For many hours I would have to practice, which being young I didn’t understand and thought this was normal to do. Only when I was old enough I realised it wasn’t, and stubbornly refused to write right handed. I am of course now ambidextrous. So I was wondering were others on here made to write with both hands, if not, are you a left hand writer, or right hand writer?.
20 users thanked author for this post.
- March 1, 2021 at 8:16 am #455865Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 8Replies: 252Has thanked: 876 timesBeen thanked: 1193 times
Amanda…how did i miss this??
Anyway, definitely right handed, always have been….but i bought a left handed tool kit from B&Q….disaster!!
Have you ever tried to bang in nails with a left handed hammer…and the screwdriver was worse!!!
The pliers weren’t so bad in the end…i just faced backwards but it took some getting used to……
- March 1, 2021 at 7:07 am #455835PY MarshallDuchessRegistered On: July 21, 2018Topics: 1Replies: 320Has thanked: 1393 timesBeen thanked: 952 times
Hi Amanda, i answered right handed but i am probably 90% ambidextrous .The things i can’t do left handed are golf ,darts, tennis ,ping pong, writing and eyeliner. Pyxx.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- February 26, 2021 at 5:32 am #454047Tonya LerenLadyRegistered On: January 5, 2021Topics: 9Replies: 103Has thanked: 146 timesBeen thanked: 299 times
I write right handed but can do many things with both… I try to keep myself as ambidextrous as I possibly can some things take a bit of training/ forcing myself to do it but in the end I find there are times when being able to use either hand benefits me, so it’s with the effort.
- February 26, 2021 at 5:37 am #454051Amanda BurtonBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: January 15, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 1090Has thanked: 7687 timesBeen thanked: 4139 times
- February 26, 2021 at 5:45 am #454054Tonya LerenLadyRegistered On: January 5, 2021Topics: 9Replies: 103Has thanked: 146 timesBeen thanked: 299 times
It is… I do absolutely find some things like eating for instance way more challenging than it should be… lol but especially things like working on anything, when I played baseball, the ability to bat left or right handed… even bowling with either hand. Painting, even though I haven’t don’t it in forever… there are just so many things that in some cases you absolutely just have to use your opposite hand which is why I try to keep it balanced where I can
- February 26, 2021 at 7:20 am #454108Amanda BurtonBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: January 15, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 1090Has thanked: 7687 timesBeen thanked: 4139 times
Oh absolutely Tonya, I like to swap hands when doing things just to keep both hands flexible with practice. And rightly so as you say it’s extremely easy when you are doing something awkward. Do make me chuckle some time watching people getting in a pickle because they can’t use their other hand.
- This reply was modified 3 days ago by Amanda Burton.
- February 26, 2021 at 7:30 am #454123Tonya LerenLadyRegistered On: January 5, 2021Topics: 9Replies: 103Has thanked: 146 timesBeen thanked: 299 times
- February 26, 2021 at 4:50 am #454034Katey DoeLadyRegistered On: February 3, 2021Topics: 28Replies: 525Has thanked: 1299 timesBeen thanked: 1523 times
- February 26, 2021 at 3:35 am #453999Inga KrasivayaLadyRegistered On: January 18, 2021Topics: 10Replies: 242Has thanked: 276 timesBeen thanked: 778 times
Hit there, sweetie; my father’s family were all right handed – my mother’s maternal line were all lefties but that meant that when she was a girl any time she was spotted writing, eating or doing anything else left handed, her father would hit her across the knuckles with whatever sturdy implement happened to be around. She ended up being able to do most things with either hand – and while none of her children inherited the left hand gene, a good proportion of her grandchildren (and almost all of her brother’s grandchildren) have. Interestingly enough, there’s one other gene that often seems to go along with being left handed – and has certainly been the case in my extended family… The Ginger Gene! Left Handedness seems to go with Red Headedness far more often than random chance would suggest; not claiming there is anything wrong in either of them, it’s just strange to note how often the one goes with the other. Any other ladies out there who inherited both traits? Hugs & Kisses: Right Handed, Grey Haired Inga.
- February 25, 2021 at 8:57 pm #453940Stephanie ScottLadyRegistered On: February 8, 2021Topics: 7Replies: 47Has thanked: 186 timesBeen thanked: 242 times
All rightie for me.
My grandfather was an excellent scratch golfer who golfed left-handed. It was the ONLY thing he did left-handed. I learned that the first clubs he ever picked up were left handed clubs and he didn’t know any better, so that’s how he learned to play.
I was also reminded of the time that Larry Bird said he was bored from a long road trip and announced he was going to play the next game left handed. He scored 27 pts through 3 quarters wile playing exclusively left handed (and switched back in the 4th qtr because the game was close).
- February 25, 2021 at 8:48 pm #453937HippieLadyRegistered On: December 20, 2016Topics: 19Replies: 264Has thanked: 905 timesBeen thanked: 891 times
I was right handed till I broke my right arm when was young. So i taught my self to write left handed. Well I got good at that, so I went a step farther and taught myself to write with both hands at the same time. Plus, I used to be able to do mirrior writing as well, but have not done that in a long time. I doubt I if I even can still do it. Most likely i cant no more. Maybe I will try latter and see if i still can.
Mirror writting is where you write in handwriting backwords. Then hold it up to the mirror to read it normal.
- February 26, 2021 at 2:08 am #453968Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: January 15, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 1090Has thanked: 7687 timesBeen thanked: 4139 times
Gosh, I’ve never tried writing with both hands at the same time, even though I can write with both. Going to give that a go Hippie.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- February 10, 2021 at 4:04 pm #445888Effie FulkDuchessRegistered On: February 7, 2021Topics: 14Replies: 232Has thanked: 493 timesBeen thanked: 657 times
My dad did the same thing Amanda, I started out writing left handed, but I remember my dad said , “we are not left handers in this family “ so he forced me to write with my right hand. I can only write with my right hand now, but I shave , brush my teeth and eat only left handed!
- February 26, 2021 at 2:13 am #453982Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: January 15, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 1090Has thanked: 7687 timesBeen thanked: 4139 times
Well I am really sorry Effie to read that you too were forced to write, right handed too. Seems to have been a big thing years ago, even when I started school, the teachers too also expected you to write right handed, and was made to write right handed in lessons.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- February 10, 2021 at 3:19 pm #445870DonnaLadyRegistered On: January 17, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 360Has thanked: 1596 timesBeen thanked: 1248 times
Left handed here but can do some writing with right hand if really have to like if break left hand or something. Oh can almost past for some doctors handwriting with right hand lol
- February 10, 2021 at 3:13 pm #445865Rozalyne RichardsLadyRegistered On: March 10, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 364Has thanked: 663 timesBeen thanked: 1231 times
I’m naturally right handed but many years ago i broke my right wrist and had my arm in plaster for at least 6 months so had to learn to write with my left hand,
Afterwards i went back to writing with my right hand and gave up writing with my left hand but I’m sure with a little practice i could learn to write with my left hand again,
Hugs Rozalyne x
- January 15, 2021 at 10:55 am #433153Mandy WifeBaronessRegistered On: September 12, 2019Topics: 6Replies: 198Has thanked: 144 timesBeen thanked: 842 times
I’m left handed and still remember the day my mum caught me doing my “right handed writing” for homework as the teacher insisted I do it and not use my left hand – she marched up to the school and had an almighty showdown with the teacher! Needless to say, there was no more right handed homework and my seat on class was moved so I was able to write properly and wasn’t stuck on the wrong end of the desk!
And don’t get me started on kids safety scissors – the kids (all eighties) used to think it was hilarious to ask me to cut paper for them with kids scissors …… And the paper just used to fold over and not cut!
I do bits & bobs like use a mouse right handed but I’m finding being a leftie is more awkward now I’m getting older and new things take me longer to adapt to.
- January 10, 2021 at 3:36 pm #430595
- January 9, 2021 at 7:30 pm #430264Stephanie FlowersAmbassadorRegistered On: June 26, 2017Topics: 26Replies: 4805Has thanked: 8311 timesBeen thanked: 8321 times
I’m a left-hand add always had been. Even back in my younger years in elementary school. The staff there tried their hardest to convert me, I was strapped, punished in every way even failing me in grade 3. It was run by nuns (that’s all I’m going to say about that)
My mother was angered by this and had me moved to another school to which I’ve never looked back… I’m still to this day soured by that time and likely always be… Thats a touchy subject to me. 😡
- January 9, 2021 at 7:23 pm #430262Bridgette VonSmirffLadyRegistered On: October 18, 2020Topics: 17Replies: 434Has thanked: 7108 timesBeen thanked: 1742 times
I’m naturally right handed, but at one point in my military career an injury forced me to very quickly learn to write left handed. It was always ugly, but legible. I still can write left handed, but still very ugly.
- January 9, 2021 at 6:31 pm #430240
- January 9, 2021 at 6:06 pm #430227Kimberly BeeLadyRegistered On: August 11, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 38Has thanked: 461 timesBeen thanked: 129 times
- January 9, 2021 at 5:23 pm #430214
- January 9, 2021 at 2:23 pm #430116Regine RichPrincessRegistered On: October 9, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 600Has thanked: 6265 timesBeen thanked: 2588 times
- January 8, 2021 at 8:18 pm #429698Robyn DevineDuchessRegistered On: October 24, 2020Topics: 15Replies: 577Has thanked: 1840 timesBeen thanked: 2473 times
I’m a Southpaw!! Although computer mouse and long gun I’m right handed.
Gotta love how Jimi Hendrix took a Righty guitar and strung it upside down to play left-handed.
- January 8, 2021 at 7:43 pm #429670Rei DurdenBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: October 11, 2020Topics: 20Replies: 789Has thanked: 4885 timesBeen thanked: 3221 times
- January 9, 2021 at 2:45 pm #430146AnonymousRegistered On:Topics: 5Replies: 96Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 302 times
- January 9, 2021 at 2:51 pm #430154Rei DurdenBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: October 11, 2020Topics: 20Replies: 789Has thanked: 4885 timesBeen thanked: 3221 times
- February 10, 2021 at 2:47 pm #445855Jamie TaalLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2019Topics: 4Replies: 106Has thanked: 541 timesBeen thanked: 573 times
It is the side of the body where the blade sits when held by both hands and therefore the lower hand when the stick is down. The curve is in response to the side that you shoot from. I play with a left handed hockey stick, write right handed, bat left, throw right, shoot guns right and am only ambidextrous when it comes to drinking.
- January 8, 2021 at 7:26 pm #429654Gail RichLadyRegistered On: October 11, 2017Topics: 2Replies: 40Has thanked: 32 timesBeen thanked: 140 times
- January 8, 2021 at 7:22 pm #429652Stevie SteinerAmbassadorRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 42Replies: 974Has thanked: 4619 timesBeen thanked: 5018 times
A pure south paw here Amanda. I remember growing up hearing of others being forced to write with their right hand, luckily I never had to go through that.
The number of times I would hit heads with a righty when tilting heads to kiss….. 🙄.
- January 8, 2021 at 7:17 pm #429651Amy MyersBaronessRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1197Has thanked: 3334 timesBeen thanked: 3188 times
I’m pretty ambidextrous, and it come from playing piano since I was a kid. Though I do not write too well with my left, I usually use my computer mouse with my left, and because of that many natural lefties have commented on it, and are then surprised when I say I’m not a real lefty.
As Olivia said, it does come in handy being able to do most of what I do with my left as I do with my right, as I’m now suffering from arthritis and mainly in my right hand.
- January 8, 2021 at 7:06 pm #429648Paula FDuchessRegistered On: August 7, 2019Topics: 12Replies: 897Has thanked: 8929 timesBeen thanked: 3485 times
Born and raised as a righty. About the only thing my left hand is good for is holding things.
I do remember a couple of kids in elementary school that struggled with writing right handed because their parents wanted them to, but they were actually lefties.
- January 8, 2021 at 5:51 pm #429636Olivia LivinLadyRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 43Replies: 1560Has thanked: 7373 timesBeen thanked: 3976 times
I have always written right handed, due to years of doing technical drawings I actually print most of the time. I can use most of my tools left handed, I trained it over time to overcome troubles from minor right hand injuries, fatigue, and working in tight or left only accessible areas. It comes in handy.
- January 8, 2021 at 4:18 pm #429615karley delawareBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: October 23, 2017Topics: 10Replies: 419Has thanked: 1886 timesBeen thanked: 1181 times
I am a lefty. To deal with lockdown boredom I would practice writing with my right hand. Gotten better at it. The appearance is very similar to that of a school girl. So when in Pink,I like to write with my right hand. My notes look so girly and will add flowers , happy faces, dog faces………karley
- January 8, 2021 at 4:01 pm #429602
- January 8, 2021 at 3:56 pm #429595
- January 8, 2021 at 3:35 pm #429579AnonymousRegistered On:Topics: 5Replies: 96Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 302 times
- January 8, 2021 at 3:25 pm #429574Alice UnderwireLadyRegistered On: September 16, 2019Topics: 20Replies: 2687Has thanked: 1862 timesBeen thanked: 5395 times
I’m right handed. Had a college roommate who was left handed. Like your father my roommate’s parents tried to write right handed. It didn’t catch on and he continued to write left handed.
Many simple things are designed for those who are right handed like scissors. Using right handed items by a southpaw (a nickname for those who are left handed) can be quite difficult so left handed products were developed.
- January 8, 2021 at 3:35 pm #429580AnonymousRegistered On:Topics: 5Replies: 96Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 302 times
Southpaw is also the title of a very good movie.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.