Viewing 20 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi Ladies,

I visited CVS last week and the Beauty consultant was with a customer and her mom.  The teenager was there to have her ears pierced.  Later I asked the beauty consultant about having one’s ears pierced and she asked if I wanted mine pierced.  I hedged an answer but she confirmed that CVS will perform this service.

If someone wishes to have their ears pierced I wanted to share another option to a busy and crowded mall.  She confirmed that CVS has the studs too.

Alice

IsabelB
      Lady

I’ve been wanting to get my ears pierced for a while now, but that’s not been allowed here since the start of lockdown and remains that way at the moment.

So, I did it myself.  I ordered a kit from Amazon (not one of the really cheap ones, although maybe they’re ok).  It was very easy to do and no pain at all.
      So, now I have 6 weeks to look for earrings to wear when I can take the piercing studs out 🙂

Isabel x

It seems that CVS uses a piercing gun. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t recommend them, especially during a pandemic. My understanding is that you’re better off getting it done with a needle.

In either case, most ear piercing guns are made at least partially of plastic and cannot be sterilized to the same extent as other piercing equipment, leading to a greater risk of infection. Ear piercing guns are typically used in mall kiosks or cosmetic shops and are rarely found in tattoo and piercing studios

Some ear piercing gun operators have reported that the guns malfunction at times, requiring removal of the jewelry with pliers that are later used on other clients, creating a pathway for disease transmission.

In any piercing area, the posts of the jewelry used in ear piercing guns are often too short to accommodate the swelling that occurs after the procedure, pushing the stud up against the back of the ear. This occurrence can lead to cases of embedded earrings, increased pain, and infection. Jewelry that fits too closely to the skin prevents normal discharge from piercing sites to escape, creating a fluid barrier that traps bacteria against the skin (APP, 2018).

In professional piercing studios, any nondisposable equipment is autoclaved, a process that uses heat, steam,and pressure to sterilize all nondisposable piercing tools between each use, killing most pathogens. In contrast, ear piercing guns cannot be autoclaved as they are usually made from plastic. Instead, piercing guns are simply wiped down with disinfectant between each use. Wiping down the external surfaces rarely eliminates all the bacteria outside the gun and cannot kill pathogens within the working parts of the gun. Blood from one client could easily contaminate another, leading to potential infection and transmission of diseases such as hepatitis or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, which can live for extended periods of time on inanimate surfaces (CDC, 2008, 2018). Pathogens and disease can also be spread from client to technician, and from technician to client. Infection or injury are also likely to lengthen the healing time for piercings, which can already take months to completely heal. While ear lobe piercings typically heal in 6–8 weeks, cartilage and navel piercings can take anywhere between 6 months to a full year if no complications occur. Ear piercing guns need to be regulated with the same sterilization standards as all other piercing establishments to alleviate these issues.

Risk of infection is magnified by unsanitary workspaces that do not meet regulations or recommendations for general piercing studios. For any type of piercing, all surfaces should be nonporous and easily cleanable. These surfaces include floors, counters, chairs,and walls. Many ear piercing guns are used in unregulated procedures in mall stores or kiosks, which can emphasize comfort and appearance over cleanliness. In addition to limited separation from other areas of the store, ear piercing gun procedure areas might have pillows, sheets, or rugs. These surfaces are absorbent and could contain blood particles from multiple clients. A tuberculocidal disinfectant should also be used to regularly clean all surfaces. Lighting and washing is also important for hygienic workspaces. Body piercing and sterilization areas should all be adequately lit and contain hand sinks to facilitate proper hand washing practices.

https://www.neha.org/sites/default/files/publications/position-papers/NEHA_Policy_Statement_EarPiercingGuns__FINAL.pdf

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

Last week I did get my ears pierced at Clares in a local mall here.  Many of the malls here are less than half normal with many vacant store fronts, so when I went in there was only 1 other customer and very few passing by.

I got my piercing done when my X who was with me that she would pay for it.  After being stunned by her offer I was anxious to say yes.  Found out latter that her goal was to see if she could humiliate me.  Myself, I don’t care — my ears are pierced and I love it

Hi Isabel,

Congratulations on piercing your ears.  Enjoy the search fr your perfect pair of earrings.

Alice

Hi Sandy,

Congratulations on getting your ears pierced.  Enjoy shopping for new earrings.

Alice

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the warnings about piercing guns.

Alice

Wow. Was half thinking of having both ears pierced but after your detailed summary I think I will stick to my clip[ ons which have these days quite a good selection that are hard to tell from pierced rings. As a surprise my wife gets them for me from Clare’s when she is shopping for herself and I think they are great.

I have my left ear pierced and wear a stud in it all the time. I’ve had it pierced for 30 years. I think its high time to get the right one done.

Hugs

Diane

IsabelB
      Lady

Most places which do ear piercings use guns rather than needles and most people don’t have an issue.  There is a lot of info out there promoting needles over guns as they are easily sterilised between uses (although please note that sterile does not equal clean!  sterile dirt is still dirt, a sterile toxin is still toxic…)
      That said, any process which is not properly controlled and managed in a clean/sterile manner can result in issues.  Had I been able to go somewhere to get my ears pierced, I would have gone for a needle if I could, but would have gone for a gun if necessary. In either case, the people and condition of the the shop would have dictated whether I would use them. The biggest issue, I would suggest, is post piercing cleanliness, using the appropriate solutions at the correct intervals and managing any hint of infection/inflammation.

The kit I used myself had individually sterilised cartridges with the needle studs and caps held in place and those were the only parts which came into contact with my ears.  Yes, made of plastic – which can be easily sterilised (with Ethylene Oxide for example)  – but plastic can’t be easily re-sterilised in, say, a shop.  There are bacteria everywhere – the aim is to prevent too many of the wrong ones getting into the wrong places!

Anything which pierces the skin carries a risk – it’s up to an individual to assess that risk and decide what to do.

Isabel x
      (and, yes, I have a bit of experience working with these pesky bug things…)

Hi Alice well girl have had both of mine pierced many years ago . so much fun looking for earrings  as so many kinds and styles  wife helped do one with clean ear and post earring  which was funny as it made a boss where i worked mad for what ever reason ?? I really didnt care for him any way so several days later wife was gone shopping so i decided to pierce other one to piss off boss even more and it worked lol he could not do anything about it anyhow  then game on on earrings so many i have now and share with wife except when she wants same as when Stephanie wants to wear them lol lol .

Stephanie Bass

Anonymous

I too did the Amazon self piercing kit… I think you get 8 kits with pre installed studs. I had my wide do them. A little ice on the ear first, no pain, The studs are out now and I can wear whatever I want. I cleaned them every morning & night with peroxide and there were no issues.

Best part of piercing is the wide selection now you have now and no worry of losing an earring. I love the feeling of large hoops and dangling earring when I dress up . Studs are great too when active like running or biking. You wont regret it sis

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for sharing your great earring story.  Did you took off your boss after piercing your second ear lobe?

Alice

Yes Alice it did and like i said he could not  do anything about it so funny thanks

Stephanie

Hi Diane,

Good idea to have your right ear pierced.

Alice

Stevie65
      Lady

[postquote quote=381749]
      I am in the same position i have the left done and want the right one done.

Stevie

Kelly Lee
      Duchess - Annual

Just over a year ago I did pierce both my ears (https://www.crossdresserheaven.com/forums/topic/pierced-ears-or-not/#post-194038).

I didn’t want to go anywhere to do it, feels like I’m leaving the closet to much then, so I did it with a disposable/single use kit I bought at aliexpress (way cheaper than amazon, <$2 each).

/kt

[postquote quote=387157]
      Hi Stevie,

Hope you can get your other ear pierced soon.

Alice

[postquote quote=387163]
      Hi Kelly,

Thanks for posting an alternate option at a lower price.

Alice

June Holl
      Lady

Good evening ladies,

this topic hits home for me on sooo many levels that I don’t know where to start.

My first piercing I got was my left ear when I was 17. Being young and … I had my friend just shove a stud through. Not the best but it worked. Kept it clean with peroxide and managed to keep it hidden from my parents, with my long hair at the time. It didn’t take me long to decide I didn’t like being lopsided, so I got two more, one in the right and another in the left. Now I could wear hoops and a small stud, the hoops distracted from the stud and looked more even. Then I needed more, so I doubled again. I loved it! Big hoops! Long dangling ones! All but the lopsided one, but it had to be there so I wasn’t…. you know. It took years to except that having equal earnings had nothing to do with my sexuality. Finally I stopped wearing the fifth one, and guess what? No one has ever mentioned it. EVER!!!  The only time I’m not wearing them now is when I’m at my on part time job that doesn’t allow it.

Anyway moving on. So other that the first, the other ear piercings were done at Claire’s. I took care of them and they healed great. Since then I’ve gotten more piercings and learned a lot more about after care. Most important is don’t use peroxide unless you absolutely have to. Instead get a Saline solution and sea salt. It will help with creating scar tissue. How? I don’t know, but it works, and I’ve never had an issue with infections using it. If you go to a piercing shop, they should have this solution and recommend it to you. Get it if you don’t want to mix your own.

The second thing I’ve learned is that a piercing shop is actually trained in piercings. Though there’s not much regulation for it. Piercing is an art. You may feel out of place going in, but they genuinely care about you getting what you want and where you want it. My earrings are not even. Had I gotten them from a shop and not Claire’s, from some random person selling cheep jewelry, they’d be better.

Anyway. That’s part of my $.02.

love you all

June

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?