Viewing 6 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      J J
      Lady

I thought we could have a place to share our first experience  shopping for make up. There have been threads about lingerie and dresses, and maybe there has been one for make up, but I didn’t find one.

My first time was just a whim. I was in an airport waiting for a flight when I noticed my lips were a bit chapped. I have never found “chapstick” to be particularly effective. I noticed a MAC shop so went in not having a clue what to do, and I likely had a very confused look. A nice SA soon was asking if she could help, so that was it, I was committed. I told her I was looking for a nice neutral lipstick, and without missing a beat, nor the least judgement, was soon telling me about, and showing me the various options. I was still pretty overwhelmed and finally just asked which she would recommend. She pulled out a color and told me it would compliment my skin tone well and recommend I try it, which I did, and was instantly sold on the color. She took me to the sales counter and handed me over to the cashier. All seemed perfectly natural and comfortable, and I was soon the proud owner of a surprisingly expensive tube of lipstick that I proudly wore boarding my flight.

While nervous going in, my nervous vanished almost instantly as the SA just did what she was trained for, which was finding the right product for her customer…nothing more nor less, and gender was of no concern.

For those who have been shopping, what was your first experience? For those who have not, I hope you do soon, and post it here.

Hi,

My first time shopping for makeup and I am sure many can relate to this. Thought I would go to my local drugstore and pick up a foundation, eyeshadow and lipstick red of course.

I had no idea what I was doing or looking for. The selection overwhelmed me. Deer in headlights.

I just couldn’t get up the courage to ask for help.

Fast forward took some professional makeup courses and had an amazing experience with MAC when I went for a tutorial.

Alanna

J J
      Lady

How did your tutorial go? Before or after your lessons, or were the lessons there?

A bit off topic, but I have had only one make over, and hope to do it again soon, and do it more as a lesson. Probably at Sephora, or maybe Ultra, MAC seems pretty expensive.

Harriette
        Lady

How do these make-overs work? How much do they cost?

I am wondering about what to do before our pride parade.

J J
          Lady

It depends on where and what services you choose. My only makeover was part of a full dressing service in London. It lasted a couple of hours and included full makeup and wardrobe. It cost a couple hundred pounds.

Sephora has a couple of options, a full face makeover for an hour at $60 and a beauty lesson for 75 minutes for $75. No doubt there are options at other stores like MAC or Ultra.

My first time buying makeup was years ago and it went well. But I would do it around Xmas time so the sales associates would think it was stocking stuffers.  Since coming out to my wife I now buy and wear makeup much more and also have gone to the Mac store for my cover up.  The sales staff were amazing and the first question she asked was who is it for and I was honest and told her it was for me.  Very professional and helped.  Everything else I purchase at Shoppers Drugmart and the associates there are great as well. I like when I purchase the things I’m after ( mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow and lipstick.  ) and they put a few samples of perfume in the bag.

My first time buying make up I bought some lipstick at WalMart when shopping for other items.  I wasn’t particularly nervous doing that.  My first experience buying everything (eyeshadow, concealer, mascara, etc) I had with my wife.   We were on a trip and shopping when we walked by the cosmetic section.  She said while we’re here we should get Suzanne some make up.  She surprised me when she said that.  We picked out the times she thought were needed and the colors/shades she thought would work.  It was a fun experience.  When we got home she showed me how to apply everything, which was unexpected but also fun.

XOXO
      Suzanne

I took a different approach a direct one to be honest and scheduled a personal shopping appointment at Sephora. I was assigned a SA and she and I went around the whole store picking out all the basics. We tested shades and whatnot as we went. At the end she dropped me off at the sales counter and $500K later I had a full fledged makeup kit that I have yet to learn to use effectively 😜.

There was no judgement, no odd looks or comments. I was treated really no differently than any other customer from my perspective.

And yes I knew makeup was expensive, but I was a bit startled at the final price tag 😳

Those MAC people are so great to work with!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?