24 Posts
13 Users
0 Thanks
Lady
Topic starter
(@mariec)
Estimable Member     California, United States of America
wpf-cross-image

I've fallen head over heels for the caftan (often spelled kaftan). I'm not strictly speaking of the classic, Mesopotamian garment, but of a wide range of long, flowy summer dresses. Caftans bring to mind images of exotic summer nights in the 60s. Sophisticated parties with glamorous ladies gliding across rooms with cocktails in hand. Women lounging poolside, chatting and laughing as Bossa Nova jazz wafts through the air and moonlight glistens on the water. Think Liz Taylor, Palm Springs, 1964. Swoon!

I have to thank my wife for introducing them to me. She has a lovely collection that comes out of hiding in the early weeks of summer. Caftans have been experiencing a resurgence in recent years. Christina Hendricks of Mad Men is known for throwing "Caftan and Casserole" parties and even convinced Jimmy Fallon to wear one on the Tonight Show.

A couple of years ago, I was actually invited to a co-ed caftan themed birthday party. A big surprise since these parties typically tend to be female-only. This particular friend has an immense collection of lovely dresses and her invitation stated explicitly that she expected to see EVERYONE in a caftan. If you came without, she would have one for you. Needless to say, I was thrilled! I would get to wear a dress to a party with my wife and it was a direct request from the birthday girl herself. Upon arrival, I was disappointed, but not surprised to see that most men showed up without one and failed to put one on. Still, I enjoyed myself and didn’t feel overly self-conscious. It was a lovely evening.

This brings me to my first caftan purchase. I found this gem of a dress at Zara. The fabric is a substantial blend of cotton and linen with a dense, black embroidered flower pattern. It’s open and airy and walking in it is a delight. I also love sitting and letting it cascade across my entire body. I wore it for the first time in public on a weekend vacation, en femme. I received more compliments from women while wearing this dress than with anything else I’ve worn in public.

The wonderful thing about caftans is that they can look elegant and stylish on anyone, no matter your shape or size. It's no surprise that mature women are throwing caftan parties rather than bikini parties or stiletto heel parties or body-con dress parties. Instead of celebrating together wearing clothes designed to excite men, they opt for beautiful, glamorous, free-flowing dresses that please themselves and their female friends. They wear them because they are comfortable, chic and fun. I find that idea liberating and powerful and it makes the garment even more appealing to me.

So my fashionable girlfriends, whatever the occasion, whether it’s lounging at the beach, poolside cocktails or an elegant dinner party, I urge you to find and enjoy a caftan of your very own.

Thank you for taking time to read about my love for caftans and feel free to send in a response to my article or to one or more questions I’ve posed to you below:

• Do you have a specific feminine article of clothing you love wearing better than any other feminine articles of clothing you have in your closets or drawers?
  • Do you own one or more caftans in your selection of feminine clothing and how do you feel while wearing that particular article of clothing?
  • One thing caftans can provide is cover for any issues you have about your body image. What are some other articles of femme clothing which may provide cover for body images you might want to cover up?

Thank you for your time and for your responses as well!

Sincerely, Marie

23 Replies
(@JillianW)
Eminent Member

Hi Marie,

While I do not have a caftan, they look wonderful! I love the feel of a flowy dress swirling around my legs as I walk so I think a caftan would be right up my alley.

Thank you for introducing me to a different style of clothing to try.

Jillian

1 Reply
(@mariec)

That makes me happy!

(@JillianW)
Eminent Member

I don't have a Kaftan either but they look so very comfortable I may have to get one.

1 Reply
(@mariec)

They are certainly fun to wear!

(@debbiedd)
Noble Member     los angeles, California, United States of America

Thank you Marie. I am now a fan and have it on my to do list

1 Reply
(@mariec)

(@marleneroberts)
Honorable Member     Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States of America

Hi! I love Caftans and have worn them for years. Even persuaded male visitors to wear them in the summer. Marlene.

1 Reply
(@mariec)

Glad to hear it!

Lady
(@silkydrawers)
Honorable Member     Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America

May I start out by saying your picture is gorgeous.

I do not own a caftan nor have I ever heard of it. I would love to have one and will look for them on line.

I do love wearing flowing full skirted dresses but sadly I have nowhere to go out and were them. Most of the time I just lounge around the pool wearing a nightgown. I love the freedom I feel when out in a warm summer breeze with the wind gently blowing thru the thin delicate fabric.

Being outdoors wearing only lingerie holds back my desires to go out in public. I'm content just being out in my private yard wearing my delicate nighties and gowns. To be able to go to a party like you have, would be to die for.

(@qtestephy)
Noble Member     Massachusetts, United States of America

Hi Marie Thank you for introducing be to the caftan.Yours looks lovely on you Seems so light and airy. I love it So many questions Where did caftan originate.What sizes does it come in? Is it see through? Is embroidery hand stitched?Does it have a feminine shape to it or is made for men and woman I will look it up and add to my wish list
Thank you Stephanie

1 Reply
(@mariec)

From what I've read, they originated in Morocco, but today I think it's an umbrella term for any large, long, free-flowing dress. The fabric on this dress is dense and I doubt seriously it's hand stitched, given the low price. You can find caftans that are more fitted in the upper body, but this one is not. There are so many different styles to choose from. Good luck!

(@samanthat)
Trusted Member     BRADENTON, Florida, United States of America

I have many caftans but I have never quite seen them as Day dresses. Mostly I wear them as an alternative to a nightgown. I do this especially if we are sharing a hotel or visiting people or having people over to the house who are not totally aware of my crossdressing. I have had more than one male friend who wore caftans even though they did not cross dress. I rented a cabin from a friend in New Mexico, and he had not put drapes or curtains up in the room I was sleeping in. There were curtain rods and I took out the caftans I had bought and put them up on the curtain rods. He came in and commented how beautiful it looked Pam said that he should buy some caftans. I did walk around outside a bunch in my caftans there. I would put one on and go sit out by the fire at night. I view them as sort of a cheater dress or a nightgown that will get me a pass or most places.

2 Replies
(@mariec)

I'm glad to hear that you have male friends that wear them, but aren't necessarly crossdressers. I know they are common male attire in other countries, but I don't know anyone personally who wears them here. The male versions I've seen are different in style and not really my cup of tea. I most often see them being worn as cover-ups at the pool and beach, but they can actually be quite dressy. Look up some of the caftans Liz Taylor would wear and you'll see what I mean.

(@samanthat)

Trusted Member     BRADENTON, Florida, United States of America

The ones I have came from the women's section. They are mostly some kind of jacquard or satin

Lady
(@rubyoshea)
Eminent Member     Lexington, Kentucky, United States of America

Wonderful piece of writing, Marie!

2 Replies
(@mariec)

Thanks!

Lady
(@rubyoshea)

Eminent Member     Lexington, Kentucky, United States of America

Thank you Marie

Lady
(@meg1cdforyou)
Eminent Member

I have a few of these and absolutely love them. I have both plain and one's with beading on them.

Lady
(@plainjayne)
Eminent Member     New York City, New York, United States of America

"comfortable, chic and fun" - that's the ticket! I don't have a caftan, but I do have a pair of long, "wide-leg" pants (culottes, basically) that look like a skirt if I'm standing or sitting with my knees together. They're very airy and flowy, so totally comfortable; the fabric is viscose, rather than anything coarse, which gives them a sort of chic vibe; and they have a belt with Japanese ideograms, which is definitely very fun! Plus the wife says she likes them!

Just want to say that I really love the caftan you're wearing in the picture, though. It's very pretty, and you look lovely wearing it!

1 Reply
(@mariec)

Oh, yes! Culottes sounds fun. I don't own any, but I'll have to look for a pair. Thanks!

Lady
(@raven188)
Honorable Member     Idaho, United States of America

I am going to have to get one now, though I'm not sure if I'll look as good as Marie!

Baroness
(@amylove2dress)
Famed Member     South Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for a great article and very nicely written, Marie.

I don't really own any, but I must say if that is you in the picture it looks great on you.

My favourite femme things to wear are bras and mini skirts, not quite a caftan! Though I do have a very wide feminine wardrobe including a variety of dresses, skirts top, and outer wear.

Way back when I was in my mid 20's and by then I hadn't dressed up for a few years I read a story about a couple where the girlfriend dressed her boyfriend in a caftan of hers. Which he quite enjoyed! That got me thinking about my times dressing, though at the time I didn't have the privacy to dress. It also helped to normalize, make it more acceptable in my mind as I had read some uncomplimentary things about males who dressed up, which was one factor which lead me to stop. Also our family situation changed and I didn't have the privacy to dress.

Amy

1 Reply
(@mariec)

Thank you, Amy. Yes, the photo is of me. Like you, I have a lot of different pieces and styles that I like to wear. The caftan is one of my favorite summer dresses, but I'll be happy when October rolls around and I can break out my Fall/Winter clothes.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?