'Are you gay?'

48 Posts
35 Users
331 Thanks
Hostess
Topic starter
(@ab123)
Famed Member     Surrey, United Kingdom

ADMIN NOTE: Please note that this is a very relevant and important topic here on CDH, however, user members will refrain from getting into any judgement of or sexual description pertaining to the topic of being gay. Such comments will be removed and the posters warned. Thank you.

This short sentence has come up a lot in the forums as a question after coming out to someone.

If we look back over time it seems a natural assumption of the questioner over the decades. When I was a mere slip of a girl being Gay was still illegal! It was a time when crossdressers and Trans were hidden away and it was not a good time to be as we are. It was a time when if you were effeminate in some way it was assumed you were gay. 

Why that is said in this day and age is curious. I replied to a post with the thought that it could be that crossdressing is wrongly seen as being under the LGBT flag so perhaps gives creedance to that comment as some crossdressers may well be in the LGBT spectrum.

I am well aware that this comment will come from many situations where you tell someone you are a crossdresser. Partners, friends, family and so on but this stock reply comes out as one of the first. The question is about your sexuality and in some cases the person may have known you for years.  A sign of the times is where some one has come out as gay after a long marriage or having no indications that they are gay, so maybe another reason, it's been hidden like your crossdressing. I suppose it is a shock question from a partner who has never suspected.

Then, on denial the next would be something like'Oh you must be Bi'  and so on.  As much as there is a better awareness and education that question still comes out. The diversity of sexuality is vast now so where will the assumptions end!

I am sure there are those who are on that vast spectrum and those that have been questioning of themselves. I feel it is a fact that most of those here are only under one label - hetero sexual male who likes to dress.

From my own experience I have struggled to think of any one who has actually asked that question to me! Of course they may think that but years ago I would come out and answer the usually asked questions. Then it became 'This is how I am' and they can draw their own conclusions as I can recall no other questioning.

The only time I ever had anything close was when I was at a friends engagement party, male mode, and someone I didn't know came into the conversation. Talk of marriage and so on then when I said I was still single the person said 'Are you gay'! My friend and I were astounded, what an assumption! My friend asked what on earth made them assume that, then the person went defensive saying 'Nothing wrong with being gay' so we handed them shovel. Of course many years later I came out to the friend and no such question was asked. 

We are not alone in being asked this question.

47 Replies
11 Replies
Lady
(@leainvancouver)

Honorable Member     Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

@ab123 Hi Angela, I’m certainly not Gay as I’ve never felt sexually attracted to men and the male gay world doesn’t hold any interest for me. For many years I have jokingly described myself as a Lesbian, which on some level is true.

Lady
(@jameie)

Trusted Member     Terre Haute, Indiana, United States of America

Well I'm beginning to wonder if I'm gay or not seems like it may be the next step let's face it women's cloths are made to entice the male as  most women don't get turned on to fem cloths like men do

Baroness
(@alexina)

Noble Member     Fife, United Kingdom

@ab123 Hi, Angela, thanks for posting this. It never gets old because it's still happening.

My wife, who is accepting and supportive of Allie at home, did check early on, "it is only the clothes?" To which I replied,"Well, and waxing my legs and the nail varnish and jewellery..." But these are expressions of the feminine aspect of my personality and not a sign of a change in my sexuality.

I, and I suspect many others, did struggle a bit with finding some crossdressed men attractive but Savannah Hauk explains it well as still being attracted to women and the image of women. 

Now I can admire the presentation skills and the look of crossdressed men, find them attractive but have no desire to get physical with them.

Thanks again for your post, hopefully the answers will suggest appropriate responses to the question, should we be asked in our own lives.

Allie x

Ambassador
(@lucyb112)

Noble Member     Staffordshire, United Kingdom

@alexina 

Hi Allie,

That’s a very good point about finding certain images attractive.

Savannah does explain it well, I’ve not read her books, so it must also be explained on the “Living with Crossdressing” Website, as it put things into perspective for me.

Lucy x

Baroness
(@alexina)

@lucyb112 I got them on kindle. I never knew about the website but I'll look now.

Allie x

Duchess
(@chellycd)

Estimable Member     Florida, United States of America

@alexina Savannah is great. I've watched her podcasts and Ted Talks. She has some really good info.

Baroness
(@chrisfp99)

Noble Member     London , Kent, United Kingdom

Allie, a very insightful and thoughtful post xx.

Baroness
(@alexina)

@chrisfp99 Thanks Chrissie xx

Duchess
(@siobhann)

Estimable Member     Colorado, United States of America

@ab123 I'm in a monogamous marriage with a great lady. I thought I was bi for most of my life. I had some flings with guys before I was married. I'm not certain, but I think I could have as easily been in a loving marriage with a man. Lately, though, and I won't explore further, as more people are representing gender fluidity, and me seeing what freedom actually looks like, I think I could be attracted to any: them, she, he, nonbinary, if they caught my eye. As I get older, a person's character means so much more to me than some gender. That said, I do see people all over this spectrum that I find physically attractive. I don't like being labeled, but a few years ago, I did start considering myself queer. I loved it! I was abused severely as a child, and always called a queer as an insult. When I took a breath, and realized I am queer, and it's not an insult ever again, I was closer to being me.

Lady
(@harriette)

Famed Member     Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by: @ab123

The diversity of sexuality is vast now so where will the assumptions end!

The diversity was always there. It's that now more people know more about just how vast the spectrum really is.

Posted by: @ab123

but years ago I would come out and answer the usually asked questions. Then it became 'This is how I am' and they can draw their own conclusions

I like that response.

I have mentioned a few times here that I have been asked, "Are you a man or a girl?" They are so confused that they can't even get the question right.

Duchess
(@flatlander48)

Noble Member     Cathedral City, California, United States of America

@ab123 The problem continues to be that too many conflate sexual orientation with gender identity. That is where the root of the problem lies. Until the general populace has a better understanding of this, the question won’t go away. Unfortunately that won’t happen any time soon.

Baroness
(@ryanpaul)
Noble Member     Outer Eastern Suburbs Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Short answer, no never been asked. Mostly cos "male me" comes across as your typical "mature Aussie male". No hair, bit of a belly, good for a laugh with my mates etc, etc.

Ambassador
(@melodeescarlet)
Noble Member     Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America

As you've noted, it comes from assumptions and lack of education. I have never been asked (or worse told), but if that happens, my response will be a look of puzzlement and the returned question of, "What has that got to do with it?" 🤔

To challenge their assumption because this will start the discussion where they have to explain that to me, rather than me being immediately on the defensive and trying to convince them of why their assumption is wrong. I expect most will splutter realizing that all they have is their misguided notion, but whatever they produce, it's all easily debunked with a simple explanation of the differences between gender and sexuality.

Some may be open to learning that they've had these two things paired off incorrectly all this time, however I expect most will cling to what they 'know' whether they relent or not, but at least I've put them to answering rather than letting them think I have to disprove their beliefs.

4 Replies
Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

Noble Member     Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

@melodeescarlet I'm going to have to remember that tactic! 

I've never had any attraction towards men, even as Fiona that just doesn't blow my frock up, as the saying goes 🙂  

Ignoring a couple of propositions made to me in much younger days when we were all still exploring who we were, I expect the first person to ask me the gay question will be my OH when we have The Talk. I won't respond in that way to her though, in fact I'm kind of anticipating doing those first obvious couple of questions and answers together with her while I'm in the process of telling her everything.

Ambassador
(@melodeescarlet)

Noble Member     Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America

@finallyfiona I understand entirely. My initial reply above was thought to be to someone other than a spouse/SO. A spouse/SO would be asking for personal reasons, and would deserve an honest and direct answer.

Anyone else though...pfft, you explain yourself. 😉

Baroness
(@chrisfp99)

Noble Member     London , Kent, United Kingdom

Fiona, I wish you all the best with 'the talk' when it happens. Not sure I will ever get there. As for the topic in hand I've always considered myself completely straight but occasionally I find myself wondering how I'd feel in the company of a beautiful and encouraging crossdresser. Not gonna happen, so entirely hypothetical xx.

Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @melodeescarlet

"What has that got to do with it?" 🤔

My response was, "Does it matter?"

Duchess
(@reallylauren)
Noble Member     Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Angela,

As you know, I am transgender and also intersex, growing up knowing I was supposed to be a girl and always feminine. It was assumed by many that I was gay and I have often been approached and propositioned by gay people. But I don't actually recall ever being asked if I was gay. In high school I was approached by a counselor and asked to take part in a group of students he had gathered. It soon became obvious that he was one of the people who made the assumption that I was gay.

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

(@elaines)
Reputable Member     Merseyside, United Kingdom

Well that is the question my wife kept on asking when she found out about my "other self".  My answer was a strong NO.

I have to say now; I have a gay relative and have known a few gay people at work and from other places.  I have no issues and respect their way of life, just like we have our own lives.  We as human beings need to respect each and everyones wishes that do not harm or disresect others.

(@sharkinlace)
Estimable Member     Saint Louis , Missouri, United States of America

That’s one of the questions my (now ex) wife asked a few years back when I told her I liked to wear panties. She was understandably confused, but to her credit she did some research and learned what we already know - that most cross dressers are heterosexual. My answer to her was a definite no.

With my divorce in the books now more than five years, and having had the freedom to live and dress as I feel, I would have to say I’m not so sure. The deeper into femininity I dove, the more I wanted to experience, including being treated as a woman both emotionally and physically.

The depth of my dressing/femininity still ebbs and flows. But if someone were to ask me now if I were gay my answer would have to be “maybe I’m gay, maybe I’m bi, it really doesn’t matter and it’s really none of your business.” But it is certainly still an assumption made by many when they learn that I enjoy being/dressing feminine.

(@rozalyne)
Noble Member     Shrewsbury, Shropshire, United Kingdom

Hi Angela,

I'm not out and out Gay, I'm Bi myself it wasn't till i was in my 20's that i found i swung both ways as they say, so I'm part of the LGBT community, the only thing is I've never actually been with another woman apart from my wife, but I've had a few meetings with men but the last one must have been at least 10 years ago, I do feel regret about being unfaithful to my wife, basically I'm just a man who likes wearing women's clothes,

Hugs Rozalyn X 🤗

Duchess
(@chloec)
Prominent Member     Lakeshore, Michigan, United States of America

Nope, definitely not gay, straight as an arrow, as they say. And this takes a little explanation. I present normally as a male, and as such I have 0 interest in having any kind of any even verging on intimate relations with another male.  Doesn't turn me off or anything, just not interested in the least (as in hey whatever floats your boat). And I was 'approached' once back when I was 13-15, and I said no thanks and walked away (ok, rode my bike away). Into my second marriage now, and 3 children combined, all whom I helped raise. And lots of, well, yoiu know, intimacy with my partner at the time, actually lots and lots. (side note, got a prostrate MRI coming up and one of the instructions was a 'no, no' for 3 days prior, ok)

But!!! put me in female attire and let me just relax and have my imagination run away allowing my dreams to take over, and I would have loved to have had relations with a male, even be a wife and mother. Will never happen of course, but dreams die hard.<sigh>

Duchess
(@alison-anderson)
Noble Member     Middlesex county, New Jersey, United States of America

My ex (spouse at the time) asked me that, and my answer was no. I have no interest in anything but platonic relationship with men, dressed or not.

I suspect that since the perception is that many drag queens are gay, and people don't understand the difference between a drag queen and a crossdresser. So when you tell them you are a crossdresser, their mind goes to drag queen and then to gay

Managing Ambassador
(@theunrealangelawagner)
Noble Member     San Bernardino, California, United States of America

When I came out to my two sisters — wow, more than a year ago — I invited them out to lunch and told him I had something important to tell them. And I knew that at some point in the conversation, one of my sisters would ask me if I were gay. I knew her — she would just blurt it out. In fact, she asked me that question early in the conversation even before I told her I was a crossdresser. Here is how I predicted the conversation would go. And in fact, it went exactly this way:

”Are you gay?”

”If I were, would that make any difference to you?”

“Absolutely not.”

”Well that’s nice to know. I’m not gay”. 

And it went on from there. That was the only time anyone’s ever asked me if I was gay. Months later, the same sister asked me if I wanted to transition. I told her I did not. 

This sister has probably been the most supportive member in my family regarding my crossdressing.  She actually likes seeing my photos, and hearing about my adventures out in public. But she’s also not afraid to ask me the hard questions.

(@caroline2k)
Honorable Member     Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom

I was also asked this question when I first came out to my partner, and in her case I know it isn't a lack of education or ignorance. She has always been very open and unprejudicial (so why did I wait so long to tell her?! lol).

I rather think it's a method of just trying to deal with what was initially something of a shock - to learn that this person she thought she knew so well had a secret they hadn't been sharing which at the end of the day, involves her 'man' needing to dress up, wear makeup and be as feminine as s/he can be. Perhaps if I have hidden this, maybe there is more to be told?

'Drag Race' has made drag mainstream, but this is still framed very much in the context of being part of the gay community and there have been very few non-gay contestants.

So although she knew the answer to the question before she asked (and apologised for asking! lol) I think it was part of the process of just getting her head around this wholly new thing that I had presented her with. I think really, given the circumstances, being asked if you are gay is not surprising, and I certainly didn't find it offensive or upsetting in any way. 

Hostess
(@cdsue)
Noble Member     Delaware, United States of America

I came out to my wife during a conversation we were having about intimacy issues which were due to ED issues. She asked if wearing pantyhose may help me and I replied I didn't know but could give it a try. That kind of opened the door and I started mentioning other items of clothing I could wear (panties, bras, skirts, etc) which prompted her to ask if I was gay or bi. My honest answer was I don't know. I consider my self bi but haven't acted on it for some time. Other than you lovely ladies here the only ones who know Suzanne are my wife and therapist. When you think about it it's kind of funny - in our society a woman (GG) can wear whatever she wants and do whatever she wants and it is okay and there really isn't a question of her sexuality or femininity. However, let a male wear female clothes to engage in female activities and it is assumed they are less masculine or gay. I remember many years ago reading an article about Rosie Greer, an NFL football player, that knitted and crocheted. Not a hobby you would have expected. Let people assume what they want as who we are and how we live isn't anyone's business so long as it isn't harming anyone.

XOXO
Suzanne

6 Replies
Duchess
(@theresanyc)

Trusted Member     New York, New York, United States of America

@cdsue I agree and it's very unfair.  I wish I could paint my nails blue right now, probably a reddish hue last month - but whatever. Why can't we do that?  Although, I have to say, when I was growing up many years ago, almost no men wore an earring.  Now, many have pierced both ears so maybe we're still evolving, just very slowly.  I, and hopefully this doesn't hurt my message here, I love pearl necklaces.  So simple and pretty.  If I could, I'd probably wear one everyday.  Yet, even though I feel that way, when I see a reporter on msnbc wearing the exact same thing I want to be able to wear, I pause and think if it works on him.  Totally ridiculous and not fair but I guess it's our social norm and how we think about what both sexes should look like?

Hostess
(@cdsue)

Noble Member     Delaware, United States of America

@theresanyc thank you for your reply - I agree that it is evolving very slowly (kind of like molasses going uphill in the winter) but evolving it is - blue nails sound nice - this past year I've had red with snowmen and currently glitter pink with hearts which will have to come off soon - I love wearing my faux pearl necklace and it would be nice to wear it out - I'm assuming you men as guests on MSNBC as I watch them and don't ever remember seeing any of the men wearing necklaces. The women on the other hand can make me jealous with what they wear.

XOXO
Suzanne

Duchess
(@theresanyc)

@cdsue Glitter pink and hearts sounds like fun.  Of course faux pearls. I can't remember his name. Nice looking guy on Nicolle Wallace's show 4pm EDT. He seems to only remote in over zoom or whatever. I just keep looking at his necklace wondering if he's trying to change the world or maybe it's just me that's really messed up.

Lady
(@cdkaylasnow)

Estimable Member     Denver, Colorado, United States of America

@theresanyc maybe it's because I live in a very accepting area... But I paint my nails all the time! I live most of my life in male mode but I love to have pretty nails lol. And the only thing that people have said about them is that they love them. I've never received any kind of negativity for having my nails painted, or even any questions about sexuality... So it's been really great being able to have them painted all the time, and I think that if you want to do it you could just go for it on a trial run

Duchess
(@karla1958)

Honorable Member     Not in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America

@theresanyc Yes, things are evolving.  My wife has been painting my toe nails for a couple of years now.  Last summer was a bit hotter than normal.  For the first time since opening my store seven years ago, I wore shorts and sandals to work.  The only people who said anything about my toe nails being painted was a couple of women customers.  Each time, the comments was something like "Oh, I like the color you have."  On the other hand, I never got one comment from my male customers, positive or negative.

In February of this year, we went on a cruise.  Before leaving, my wife painted my toe nails a color called Pacific Blue.  Quite appropriate since we were sailing to Hawaii.  While on the ship, again, the only ones to make comments about my toes were women.  We would actually put our feet near each other to compare.  They would then make very positive comments and we would laugh about how great it was that I was so confident.  The male passengers I could tell would just look and then try to look away without making any comments whatsoever.

I haven't quite got up the nerve to wear polish on my finger nails except for one that is very neutral.  It just gives them a shine as if they have been buffed.  Only one person commented and it was a woman.  She asked why and I told her that it gives them a more finished appearance, to which she said "Great!"

Duchess
(@theresanyc)

@karla1958 Nice, Karla. We obviously still have a way to go but it's progress and it's encouraging.

(@charlottesometimes)
Estimable Member     Dayton, Ohio, United States of America

I have been assumed to be homosexual a few times, but while drab.  I often go to bars on my own for karaoke (my wife loathes karaoke).  One time, a man came up behind me and started rubbing my shoulders!  I left the bar and as a regular, the next time I returned I ask the bartender to come around and ask me how my wife is doing if that fellow ever came around again.  No one who knows about Charlotte has ever asked me this question, save for the therapist I came out to, who started asking me other stereotypical things.

Suffice to say, she's no longer my therapist.

Also, before introducing my fiancé, a few of my family members assumed I was gay.  My mother no doubt shared with her sister how she found me trying on her bra and heels, and my aunt is a bit of a gossip.  The same aunt nearly broke my intended's spine when she tackled and hugged her, proclaiming, "Thank G-d, we were so worried!"  

1 Reply
Lady
(@cdkaylasnow)

Estimable Member     Denver, Colorado, United States of America

@charlottesometimes wow, I can't believe a therapist jumped to those questions 😮 I remember when I told my therapist about my crossdressing she didn't even blink lol she was like "it's so much more common than you realize" and that was about it

(@Anonymous 91593)
Estimable Member

I think it's a question we are all asked as we come out or are found out. I can quite understand the extrapolation of thought.

Are we gay? Well that seems to vary tremendously but as mentioned previously I’m sure there are many of us who have never previously thought of a relationship with a man start to see developing one as a natural progression.

We've already heard how some cook more or enjoy housework whilst en femme ... stereotyping of course but surely there's other aspects too? 

Very interesting question. 

(@justnikki)
Honorable Member     Seattle, Washington, United States of America

When I came out to my wife it was a wide ranging conversation that touched on many things including sexual orientation. She didn't ask me if I was gay, though. It was a much broader question of who I wanted to have sex with and if that included men; it doesn't. I've often joked I was a lesbian trapped in a man's body, because if anything my ardor for women is even more acute en femme. In any event, I don't find the question itself to be disrespectful and I've been asked a few times over the years. These days my pat response is to smile and say "why do you ask?" It puts the onus of the question back on them and that pause, when they realize they don't have a good reason for asking, is priceless. 

1 Reply
Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @justnikki

These days my pat response is to smile and say "why do you ask?" It puts the onus of the question back on them and that pause, when they realize they don't have a good reason for asking, is priceless. 

Exactly what I found, too!

Page 1 / 2
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?