Viewing 17 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

Lately I have had a lot of extra time on my hands so I been watching a lot of movies. Last week I got tired of watching John Wayne, Eastwood and Die Hard movies. So I started watching some ‘chick flicks’ , the latest was Beaches (another tear fest). Have any others switched to ‘chick flicks’ to get in touch with there feminine side.

Anonymous

It’s nice to give the manly and gorefest movies a break for a while and chill out with the likes of Love Actually and Pretty Woman. Have to keep Diana happy or she gets a mite tetchy….

Diana W
      Lady

I’ve been watching a lot of Hallmark movies lately with my wife.  I also love 50 First Dates and the other day I watched The Devil Wears Prada and I absolutely LOVED it.  I’ve been turned off the masculine action films and books for a long while now.  I love chick flicks and chick lit.  They are my addiction now.

Cassie Jayson
        Duchess

50 first dates is another great tear jerker!!!!
        Sandy

Anonymous

I watch some of the Hallmark movies with my wife…but she now spends a lot of time with the Law and Order series!

I watch a lot of Hallmark channel and other chick flicks. Just curl up on the sofa with a drink, some popcorn and a box of kleenex. Before my “transformation” I would watch a lot of action flicks and the like, will still watch one occasionally but I would rather watch a movie that tugs on my emotions.

P.S. Thank God for waterproof mascara.

Prudence
      Ambassador

I did watch Thelma and Louise last night. Kind of a Chick Flick, in the Die Hard sort of way.   Hugs

Well, there’s….
      Pretty Woman
      Love Actually
      …. as mentioned by Diana Morgan

And I don’t know if any of these would be considered “chick flicks”, but I wouldn’t admit to the Duck Dynasty types that I’d ever watch anything like this:
      My Best Friend’s Wedding
      27 Dresses
      Jenny’s Wedding
      Kissing Jessica Stein

Then there’s romantic period pieces like:
      Emma (BBC production starring Romola Garai)
      Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson)
      Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley)
      Jane Eyre (Masterpiece Theatre)

I’ve watched most of these at least twice, and I’ve always kept a box of tissues close at hand.

Anonymous

Camryn I totally agree about the Jane Austin mini series you list, I’ve always loved Pride & Prejudice, did you see the last mini series of Vanity Fair with Olivia Cooke as Becky? It was a bit quirky with Michael Palin doing the intro and “All along the watchtower ” as theme music sort of a modern take on it without affecting the story, anyway I loved it.

I also liked Bleak House with Gillian Anderson.

Diana

Thanks for that tip, Diana! I see that Vanity Fair is on Amazon Prime video and I’m putting it on my watch list!

OBTW, in looking thru my DVD collection, I found that I should have included these “chick flicks” in my above list:

Sleepless in Seattle
          You’ve Got Mail
          Persuasion (Jane Austin)

— Camryn

Anonymous

When I was at high school (too many years ago) we went to a cinema to see the 1967 BBC version of Vanity Fair starring the lovely Susan Hampshire and Franco Zefferellis Romeo & Juliet with Olivia Hussey. I’m sure my love of period dramas dates from this time!

Diana

I love my sci-fi and action movies but for the feminine side I enjoy Grey’s Anatomy!

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Vecca Senn. Reason: Spelling

I love “The Letter” it makes me tear up.

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Sandy, in our family I’m the one who watches “chick flicks” and “rom coms” (as well as reading those bodice ripping historical romance books).  My wife, on the other hand, is a bit of a considered film expert here in NW Canada. She runs a film festival, has been a script writer and a playwright, and a producer on a number of films.  For her, the genre of the film doesn’t much matter; rather it has to be a “good” and “well-made” film, with an excellent script and a believable protagonist.  I’m on the program review team for the film festival and have watched over 10,000 films in the last four years.  There sure is a lot of crap out there (the vast majority) but a good film is wow so worthwhile to find.

As noted by others, there are channels devoted to chick flicks, i.e. Hallmark, Heart & Home, Oprah has a lot, and if you go to Netflix or Amazon Prime, they have chick flick categories where you can easily over indulge. Being retired, I usually watch at least one movie per day (not counting film fest entries) and more often than not it is a chick flick.  I’m also a sucker for films about dogs.  But please don’t let them die – damn I weep like a baby when a dog dies in a film.  Sorry, it is so easy for me to go off on a tangent.   Stay healthy, stay safe, All the Best, Hugs, Krista.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Krista.
      Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

Pretty Woman.  Hands down my favorite since I first saw it 30 odd years ago.  Love the chemistry of Roberts and Gere.  Just love Julia in this period.

Would The Quiet Man rate a chick flick?  Even tho it has John Wayne, it also has Maureen…. and its such a cute Irish tale…🙂

Anonymous

Hello girls.

Just realised I must be a bit of a Hugh grant fan….. definitely Love Actually, but also Four Weddings and a Funeral and  Notting Hill…

Wonderful stuff,

Grace ❤️.

….Sandy, hope your knees are feeling better…

Cassie Jayson
        Duchess

Thanks Grace. My knee is getting better, some times in small leaps. A couple of days ago I quit using a crutch. I am now walking sometimes a mile at a time, but need to get to 2 miles so I can get back to work.
        Sandy

While not a chick flic in any sense… Forrest Gump is one of my all time favs!
      I will admit to being an early Hugh Grant fan and rewatch the classics on a regular binge.
      I do prefer well made movies of any genre and will feel with the characters.
      Has Polly become a softer chick flic watching person? I rather think not… I’ve always been able to immerse and identify with the characters. Feel with them and their struggles!

Long live good films… Polly xxx

Anonymous

Run Polly Run!!!!!

To pick out the chocolates that God gives you? Remember, life is like a box of chocolates… you never know what you will get!

Yum… there’s an idea for a Poll! Who has become a chocolate muncher?

Love you heaps, Grace… Polly

Yes Sandy

Gradually started watching films I would previously never have, and yes it really does help me connect with the inner feminine feelings that used to be buried under a lifetime of learned masculinity.

Pride and Prejudice

Bridesmaids

Belle

27 Dresses

The Devil Wears Prada

Maybe Baby

Mama Mia et

Nobody gets killed, no aliens, no tough guys, no testosterone fuelled fight scenes, but I’m no longer afraid to say I enjoyed them, and it helps me further understand the feminine side of life.

❤️B

I love “The Devil Wears Prada”!

Devilishly good.

Love Laura

Anonymous

Hello B.

Loved 27 dresses…gorgeous Katherine Heigl….did you ever watch her in the series “Roswell”…….

Never seen Roswell Grace.

I loved the scene with her trying on all her dresses🤣

❤️Bianca

Hi, Grace, I first became a Katherine Heigl fan when she played Izzy in Grey’s Anatomy. I also loved “27 Dresses”. She plays a great role in “Jenny’s Wedding” as well, and if you haven’t seen that one, you should check it out.
          — Camryn

Anonymous

Hi Sandy,

I made the mistake of watching ‘Beaches’ for the first time in the week after my wife died. Whoops!

But since then it’s become my ‘go to’ movie when I’m in a certain mood. And it still opens the floodgates, lol.

Marti xxx

Anonymous

Bless you Marti xx

Cassie Jayson
        Duchess

Marti, I’ve almost forgotten this post and the movie ‘beaches’. Now I just read you post and am nearly ready to fall apart. It has only been 5 days since my fist post and 2 days ago I lost my mother, her body just completely shut down since Monday. Every time I start to talk about it I almost start crying but do the male thing, change subjects and hold it in. What I really need to do is let my fem side completely out and just have the BIG cry.
        Sandy

Anonymous

Oh Sandy I’m so sorry. Such a sad time for you, but, honest, it will pass over time. Try to forget about the men-don’t-cry thing. It’ll come in its own time if you let it.

Love and hugs

Marti xxx

Anonymous

So sorry for your loss Sandy….

a good cry never hurt anyone…you should not bottle it up inside…just let it go girl!!!

Huggs, grace xx

I have always loved a romantic comedy,  and a good emotional drama.  I also like action and Sci fi.

I just watched the latest Grey’s anatomy,  I cried for ateast half of it.  I didn’t understand why I cry at every emotional movie, or commercial. Now I realize it has been my femme side coming out.

I love a good cry.

Paula

ChloeC
      Duchess

Oh my yes. Pretty Womn, Clueless, Crazy Rich Asians, most of Meg Ryan’s early movies, Moonstruck, Devil Wears Prada, those Hugh Grant movies, Pitch Perfect. Watched them all any number of times. Even the older ones like Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Personally I prefer a good little cry by myself to some gorefest or even unsettling films.

I have watched at times those Hallmark and Lifetime movies and some are enjoyable but a few are a little over the top …for me anyway

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

Yesterday watched ‘On Golden Pond’. TV version with Julie Andrews. Touching family story.
      Sandy

Anonymous

Mostly SVU, Gen; but a bit of Criminal Intent, also. Oddly, not much of the original, and she stopped viewing the new episodes.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?