Viewing 9 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

First let me define that I am not a dressmaker and have next to zero sewing skills. But what do you do when you buy that skirt, put it on and it looks funny and would look much better 3 inches shorter. Or when that dress looks great but needs a strapless bra and you don’t have one. I have started this topic to hear what innovative things we all do to look our best.

I had a dress that looked gorgeous to the waist but was way too long for my liking as it was below the knee. So I found the kitchen scissors and cut off about 6 inches. It took a few goes to get it looking straight but tahdah despite a bit if a tatty edge it then was perfect.

I once bought a boob tube that was white that the colour combination would have gone great with my pink top. Idea. Slide the boob tube down and instant white skirt to go with my top.

Hi Denise. Good question, and I am certainly not a self proclaimed dress maker either. I do know, if you cut something shorter, you will end up with a frayed, tatty edge. The good news is there is a product called ‘wonder web’ which can be used to neaten up the frayed edge. there is no sewing involved from what I can see, you simply fold the edge of the dress or whatever garment it is, over the ‘wonder web’ tape, moisten the seam, then iron over it, job done. Many mothers use it for school uniforms I am told, if its good enough for them, its good enough for us!

Fiona xxx

Anonymous

I cut my first skirt I purchased on line because I wanted the mini look didn’t work out so well . Last month a coffee shop opened up in town it’s a really nice cute place an the girl also does alterations so cool. I have yet to bring anything there.. she has complemented my nails before so she knows or rather would’t be shocked if I bought a skirt in…..

Lisa

eleanor holborn
      Managing Ambassador

If your going to shorten make sure you leave at least 2-3″ for hem turn over half inch then turn the rest over to get length use wonder web which i don’t then use hemming stitch then press. Hemming stitch quite easy to learn to do just takes practise there is more than likely a video on you tube

Anonymous

My Mum taught all of us to hand and machine sew, also iron at a young age. An early feminist I’ve since come to realise! I’ve shortened skirts and dresses for myself and my wife, sewn in darts and pleats etc etc. Even made a Wiz of Oz Dorothy dress from a pattern. Jade x

Anonymous

If you don’t think you can do it take it to a professional and have it adjusted.  Pin it at the length you want it to be and simply ask them to stitch it up.  Anything else means you will take your time and sew it by hand.  The key is to take your time.  Oh yeah that fantastic online site has how to videos like how to sew an invisible hem or how to shorten a dress.  You would be amazed just how much stuff is available.

Denise-

liquid stitch-girls best friend

pink fabric pens to add small feminine accents

light blue and pink shoe strings work well

I am a master at turning dated flare jeans into skinnis

fav sunglasses? Add a pink accent like turn the ray ban symbol pink

hourglass a long sleeve T

-JO

Good Lord no, I can sew you know to replace a strap but that’s about it.

Never done my own and not interested but have had mine professionally altered. My typical issue is with a dress, bust fits fine but waist on dress is to large so I’ve have the waist taken in. At better stores they will do this for free if you request at time of purchase and sometimes free even later. I think the most I have paid was 15.00 so well worth it.

Sandy

There are a lot of easy tricks of the trade, the iron on tapes make the big jobs a lot easier.  I have bought dresses, at a cheap price, knowing that with a little lace and ribbons they would look so much better.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?