Tagged: ,

Viewing 34 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

As we are about to leave and head downtown Memphis to the FedEx forum, let’s all share those live concerts we have enjoyed the most…

Loved Paul McCartney!

Second would have to be The Eagles

Third maybe Elton John.

Ah yes, attending a KISS concert tonight! Funny… my wife just asked me if I wanted her to do my makeup. Ha!

So, favorite live concerts you have attended to?

Gaby 💜

Anonymous

I can’t remember any of them HA HA …

Hey have fun tonite.

Anonymous

KISS concert tonight was… interesting. Taking in consideration they have 45 years playing, they really know how to put up a show!

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

Brain Cadd and Glenn Shorrock, (Little River Band) about four years ago, long after their halcyon band days together. Just a couple of old rockers up on the stage thoroughly enjoying themselves and given some of the tales they told of the “mischief” they got up to, made it enjoyable for the audience too!!!

EG In Caddy’s autobiography, I loved how he tells how he and his band would invite the “attractive young ladies”  back to their hotel rooms for “tea and sympathy”.

As a broken down old (never pro) rocker myself, any time I hear Hank Marvin play is sheer bliss. He and the Shads did a “final” tour some ten years ago.

Anonymous

Thin Lizzy, Moorhead, Saxon, rainbow, whitesnakw. I like a bit of noise. Do Kiss still wear all the war paint? Quite like them too but haven’t heard anything for decades.

Donna.

Anonymous

Kate Bush on my 50th birthday was something special.

Tori Amos at the Royal Albert Hall back in 1998, Jane Siberry in 1997, Peter Gabriel in 1993, Julian Cope in 2000, and Radiohead supported by Sigur Rós in 2000 all spring to mind as well.

I do like it when I see bands or artists before they “got famous” as well.  Muse were much better in a small sweaty venue than on the other side of a vast arena.  I was right at the front for Fiona Apple’s first UK gig and remember loving Marina & the Diamonds trying to perform to lunchtime picnickers at a festival in 2009.   Happy days.

Anonymous

Wow!

I would love to see Muse in a small venue.

I thought their 2001 Glastonbury appearance proved they could smash it in front of a big crowd, but was disappointed both at Reading festival 2003 and at Wembley Stadium a few years later.

They sounded robotic like they were going through the motions.

I like bands to be pouring heart and soul into it – and it is possible after years on the road in front of huge crowds – I never saw AC/DC put on a lacklustre show.

Michelle Liefde
        Ambassador

Awesome Jasmine!  Julian Cope, that is really cool!  And I would love, love, love to see Kate Bush!

Gonna have to say U2 and the Pixies back in the 90s and my misbegotten high school years, though Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ Great Wide Open tour (you will be missed! ;_; ) runs a close second.

Anonymous

U2… I would have liked to see them in concert!

Thank you!

Anonymous

Too many!

If I had to pick one, it’d still be a choice of 3:

AC/DC Hammersmith Odeon, 1980. Hearing Back in Black live just after release was the most amazing feeling.

Similarly, Metallica in 1986, just after releasing Master of Puppets, with Anthrax supporting. Anthrax were fantastic and it was hard to see how Metallica could raise the game, but they surely did! Cliff (RIP) put in some incredible bass soloing.

The other incredible concert (Actually, all the concerts I attended were amazing – I was very lucky in my choices) was Donington 1991. 84 was incredible too, AC/ DC were probably better in 84, and Van Halen with Diamond Dave were superb, but in 91, the band before AC/DC was Metallica, making that festival the best value for money ever!

I forget who the other 4 bands were, but recall enjoying every song that day and leaving with a slight sense of loss that I would never attend such an amazing event again.

Even Metallica at Milton Keynes in 93 with Megadeth, The Almighty and Diamond Head didn’t quite have the same feel – probably because there wasn’t the hunger to prove themselves from any band.

Diamond Head were their own tribute act, the Almighty knew their place, and even Dave Mustaine realised that supporting Metallica was the right thing to do – no way could it have been the other way round in 93. Metallica were still on their phenomenal ascedency and people were still coming over to Megadeth.

I could rabbit about these bands and the music all night, so I’ll stop now :0)

Love Laura

Anonymous

I have a younger brother (He is 11 years younger) who was a big Metallica fan. And my parents were shocked by the music! Ah, the good ole’ age gap at it’s mightiest! 🙂

Anonymous

Looks like your a real Rock Chick Laura,

for me

1 Thin Lizzy 1981 Lynott still in the land of the living, before drink, drugs totally took over.

2 Gary Moore 1983 great guitarist, underrated.

3 Motorhead, Saxon 1982 got to have some noise.

Michelle Liefde
      Ambassador

Great question, i think seeing Depeche Mode, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Blondie, but of courese :), and Tom Waits were my favorites.

Michelle

Anonymous

Depeche Mode would have been my favorite in your list! Thank you!

Michelle Liefde
          Ambassador

That was one heck of a good show, Gaby!  The opening band was Nitzer Ebb, who were once described to me as an angry Depeche Mode.  And they did not disappoint. I would love to see DM in concert again.

Anonymous

Depeche Mode remember them as kids in the early eighties now they are massive on your side the pond. Still works both ways we got Hendrix off you. Love music could chat all day.

Would have loved to see Debbie Harry/Blondie.

Michelle Liefde
          Ambassador

Seeing Blondie was incredible! Still crushing on Debbie Harry!

My all time fav – Genesis

but also James, Santana, U2, REM & Queen – Freddie was fantastic.

Would have loved to see Genesis before Gabriel left as the brother says those shows were the best.

Great question Gabriella.

Take careAnne-Marie.

Anonymous

Michelle what is it with Depeche Mode, brilliant band, popular over here in the eighties. Yet since then their career has gone to another level in the States. Back in the eighties I would have thought they wouldn’t have crossed the pond, sure popular in Europe, Australia, Japan etc.

They fill stadiums, proper stadiums.

What other groups have achieved more notoriety over there, Def Leppard, Beck.

Alternatively who has done the opposite Hendrix initially more popular over here.

Enjoy listening.

1.Panic!At  The Disco

2. 5SOS

3. Genesis

4. Shawn Mendes

5. Prince

Anonymous

I would have really loved attending a Prince concert! 🙂

Thanks!

Gaby ♥

Prince was a real showman/exhibitionist, as is Brendon Urie(Panic!At The Disco), from Vegas, the music is only part of it, a bit like Musiacal Theatre (theater😂), a real show ! With Genesis it was all about the music, almost classical in its composition, Shawn Mendes and 5 Seconds of Summer were with my daughter, and just renewed my interest in music, 2019 vibe, fantastic, the crowd just made me feel young again, and you are as young as you feel, right !

Or was it ‘ as young as the woman you feel’? 😂, and I feel like a young woman ! 😂 when dancing at concerts ! Good for the soul !

love

B

Anonymous

Saw Genesis when they did a series of smaller venues 1992, at Manchester Apollo, they were way to popular to play a small venue like that then but did so. They were great and really polished musicians, not many bum notes, quality. For me at that time they were more soft rock having been to motorhead, Saxon etc concerts bum notes didn’t matter there as it was so loud.

The good old days lol x

Anonymous

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Would have loved to have seen Deep Purple record Made in Japan supposed to be the greatest jamming session ever. Had to settle for seeing Ritchie Blackmore with Rainbow 1980 the man could play.</p>

Anonymous

Gabriela can I ask was it feminine make up or Kiss make up. Hope you enjoyed anyway.

Anonymous

Sorry! I just saw your question!

No, she meant doing one of the KISS face paint on me. Oh well!

Thanks!
        Gaby

Anonymous

So it could have been a ‘ crazy, crazy night’.

Going to see Paul McCartney in NC in a few weeks….can’t wait!!!!

Anonymous

OMG! If you have never seen him live before you are in for a treat!! He is just awesome and you are going to LOVE the concert!!

gaby 💜

Yes Maam!  I am a huge Beatles fan and this is going to be a dream come true

Azalea
      Lady

My top three are Nightwish, The Who, and Iron Maiden.
      Nightwish was my first concert I went to that wasn’t in a festival. The Who was in a festival (Jazzfest) and it’s notable for me since before they were scheduled to play the skies opened up and rained. I stayed where our chairs were during the rain and it was a good thing since right after it stopped a couple of people were stealing other people’s places for The Who. Iron Maiden rounds out my top three as the concert was in Houston and I drove 6 hours to see them there.

Anonymous

Nightwish haven’t crossed the pond other two good shout. Would have loved to have seen Deep Purple but a bit to young seen the off shoots Rainbow, Whitesnake etc.

My all time favorite artist was Tom Petty. I must have seen the Heartbreakers a dozen times and was never disappointed. Although I was crushed by his untimely passing, I’m thankful that I got to take all four of my kids to see him before he passed.

Other memorable concerts include the Grateful Dead (my hippie stage) Rolling Stones, The Who, Foo Fighters, and more recently, Panic at the Disco and the Struts. I’m sure there were lots of others, but my minds a bit hazy on many of them. Lol.

Luna Cee
      Lady

Took my Gf to see Shinedown, my fave band of the moment.  She loved the experience.  Recently seen Black Stone Cherry, Halestorm, Alter Bridge, Within Temptation, Pretty Reckless, Evanescence and Motley Crue.  My first gig as a teen was Hanoi Rocks in London!

The Stones. Flew out to Chicago a couple of weeks ago and they were great. Going to Denver and Santa Clara too. Maybe Miami if I can swing it. Yes, I’m one of those crazies that follow them on tour. If any of one saw them in 2015 I’m in the fan film shown before the show. See them if you can. This is the last tour. Can’t say how I know that, just take my word on it.

Be safe all.

Love and Peace.

Anonymous

Amber you follow them everywhere seems you can’t get no satisfaction. Seriously great band hope you enjoy. x

Anonymous

Hey – I was there too! My first time seeing them (and sounds like maybe my only…)

Did you enjoy it? But gawd, the heat and humidity that night. Cali gurl almost melted. LOL.
          Love and Peace,
          Amber

Where to begin,

Seen Green Day three times, Biffy Clyro twice and Manic Street Preachers twice.  Would find it hard to separate them but at a push it would be Biffy.

Also seen a few old bands from the 80’s, Marc Almond, UB40, ABC and Paul Weller doing up to date stuff.  Later this year will be seeing Squeeze, Heaven 17 and OMD.

As a drummer myself (not very good) would want to see the Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins are some drummers.  Too late to see Buddy Rich, John Bonham and Keith Moon.

Anonymous

Jess. Squeeze loved them as a kid, take it Jools Holland doesnt turn out. Where are they on?

Drummers dont forget Ginger Baker and Ian Paice both still alive but to old now.

Hi Donna,

Squeeze are playing Scunthorpe in October and Heaven 17 are the support.  Unfortunately Jools Holland is not playing with them, I have seen Jools’ band live twice and they are great.  Completely agree with Ian Paice and Ginger Baker, in respect of Squeeze and Jools Holland, Gilson Lavis isn’t too bad.

Jessica x

Anonymous

Shame Scunthorpe a bit far away or I would join you.

Ian Paige best I’ve seen, not with Purple to young but he played with Gary Moore, a sad loss him, who along with Richie Blackmore(rainbow) was the best guitarist. Cosy Powell drumming for Rainbow another good in. Not forgetting Phil Taylor from Motorhead 1983. xx

I could go on and on,  Joey Jordison who was with Slipknot and Chad Smith from the Chilli Peppers, Stewart Copeland.

Hi Donna,

On the same tour Squeeze play The Lowry in Salford on 3 November.

Jessica x

Anonymous

Thanks Jess will look into that. Bit posher than the Apollo there.

Donna x

Anonymous

Unexpectedly, last night we ended up attending a concert at the Fedex Forum here in Memphis…

How unexpected was it? Well, it was the Backstreet Boys! I had bought tickets for one of my nieces who is a huge fan of them, but at the end she wasn’t able to attend. So, I joined some 17,500 girls and a few dozen guys in attendance.

It wasn’t too bad! 😈 I mean, they do have decent voices and seem to be kind of down to earth guys. Only knew a couple of their songs but with all the excitement around me, it was enjoyable.

Next will be the Rocketman in October and Celine Dion in February. 🙂

Gaby 💜

last big live gig Pink Floyd, seen them three times, my first was Toyah Willcox.

OMG Liz. You saw Toyah! I love Toyah but she never made it over here to the states. She is an acquired taste but I love the theatrics. Her autobiography is a must read.

Love and Peace,
        Amber

Anonymous

Too many to choose! In recent memory:

Ghost (5 times already!)

The last two Iron Maiden tours

Roger Waters (both The Wall and the more recent one)

McCartney (duh)

Robert Plant

From the old days:

Metallica (Justice tour)

Maiden (7th Son tour)

Motley Crue (my first concert! Girls tour)

Pink Floyd (the last tour)

Anonymous

Awesome! Since we only came into the USA when I was 30, I just didn’t have all the chances for most (any) of them.

Anonymous

I think I’m from the generation before you Alexis

Thin Lizzy

Rainbow

Whitesnake

Motorhead

Saxon

Genesis

Rush

Gary Moore

etc

All when I had my own long hair, early mid 80s. Loved some of your concerts though.

My (now) wife and I saw Whitesnake at a local hall on their first outing-probably 50 of us in the audience.  It was obvious then how big they would get to be.

Then Led Zep’s last ever gigs (plural) – Knebworth.

Eagles and Genesis many times….

None as Rebecca sadly….x

Anonymous

Whitesnake was at Manchester Apollo theatre, there’s a misnomer if ever. They played all the songs that would later make them famous when re-mixed for American ears and helped sell jaguar cars (watch the video).

Anonymous

Yep – I pretty much fell for them hook, line, and sinker! Check out my Flickr videos – I made a tribute to Tawny Kitaen about a year ago…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexisraemoon/46825091922/in/dateposted-public/

Alexis

Anonymous

Contrasting eras but Prince was amazing – 3 hour party.

Burt Bacharach was fantastic , yes voice is almost gone but his presence & charisma onstage was immense.

Aoife
      Lady

Since this topic came up I was thinking how much I would like to dress up for a show I’m likely to attend Sunday night (Roselit Bone at Stillwater in Nashville). Their frontwoman is trans, so I think it would be a lot of fun if I were able to go en femme for that, even if I kept the beard! I saw them in San Francisco two months ago and it was thrilling. Definitely something to see more than just listen to (I passed on the record, but with the hopes of seeing them live again).

Anonymous

Here is a short list of mine, not in any order but some of the best I have been to.

1. Steppenwolf

2. Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies

3. Lynard Skynard before the plane crash…their bus broke down in a small town and while it was being repaired they unloaded and put on a 4 hour free show in a small high school gym for all the locals

4. Allmond Brothers before Duane died

5. Jerry Jeff Walker in a small bar in Tulsa one evening

6. Earl Scruggs and the Earl Scruggs Review

7. Boz Scaggs

Have attended many concerts, Paul McCartney, The Smiths, The Bangles, Suzanne Vega, The Communards, Big Country, Lynx, and many others.

Roxy641

Not necessarily my favorite but I remember the Rolling Stones Farewell concert in the early 70s at the Coventry Theatre.

They, like me, have made many comebacks and still performing today.

Sally xx

The Stones have never announced a farewell tour. Unlike The Eagles, KISS, and Fleetwood Mac. They will just stop touring. That said, this was probably the last we will see them in the states. They will announce an Asian tour early next year followed by a Euro tour in the fall. I say this because they had to talk Charlie into doing one more tour. He wants to stay home, drink his tea reading the Financial Times of London and do his jazz thing on weekends.

Love and Peace,

Amber

Here’s the ones I’ve seen live-

Too Short (Pozo,CA)
      MotorHead (Wrestlemania 21)
      Judas Priest (Mountainview,CA)
      Lamb Of God (Mountainview CA)
      Motorhead (Mountainview CA)
      Heaven And Hell (Mountainview CA)
      The Beach Boys (Santa Maria,CA)
      Boys 2 Men (Santa Maria CA)

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

Oh my, some of those concerts are somewhat, ahh, fuzzy in my memory.

Some of my most favorite?

Van Halen 1980

The Who 1980

Queen 1981(?)

Robert Plant 1983

David Bowie 1984

Stevie Nick’s 1986, 1988, 1991

Fleetwood Mac  twice

Pink Floyd 199(?)

Peter Gabriel 1993

Jimmy Page/Robert Plant 1995

Roger Waters 1999

Some concerts memories are lost in the smokey haze of the past …… hehe

Stevie

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

Oh, and because I’m honest ( to a fault ),

Errrr, Barry Manilow 2008.

FINE!!  There was a girl involved, so shaddup!  Lol.

Stevie

I never really attended any live concerts until much later in life.

2003 or 2004 (can’t remember the exact year)

– Cher in Calgary.  This was my first ever live concert.

– Katy Perry with Carly Rae Jepsen opening, in Vancouver.

– Taylor Swift with Charli X C X opening, in Seattle.  Just my luck, Camilla Cabello was supposed to open as well but she fell ill.

– Lady Gaga in Las Vegas.

– was supposed to attend Taylor Swift’s Lover Fest West in Inglewood but she postponed due to Covid.

My fave was Taylor.  She was very punctual, started right at 7 pm.  She brought an amazing energy to her concert and never let up.

Katy was good but she wasn’t as punctual and there were too many lulls inbetween for outfit changes.

2018 was a good year for concerts.  I wanted to see 3 artists from my bucket list – Katy, Carly, and Taylor in concert and I fulfilled my wishes.

Cece X
      Lady

The Rolling Stones. I so much want this pandemic to end, especially so I can once again enjoy live music to the max.

Charlie Daniels Band (1975) possibly the loudest concert I’ve attended

Journey (four times, pre-Steve Perry)

ELP

Pink Floyd

The Who (1976 with Keith Moon)

Santana

And many more.

Anonymous

Hi Girls

I was lucky enough to see Queen in concert half a dozen times….once you had seen Freddie live, nothing else really mattered!!!!!

Grace x

Siobhan
      Lady

Alice Cooper (4 times)

Avenged Sevenfold

Bellowhead

Blow Monkeys

Clannad

Erasure

Fish (3 times)

Gary Numan

Human League

Iron Maiden

Jeff Wayne

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Level 42

Midge Ure

Motorhead

New Model Army

Public Image Limited

Status Quo

Toyah

Transvision Vamp

Ultravox

Within Temptation

plus lots of bands / singer songwriters that you probably haven’t heard of

Anonymous

Tiff if you like Metallica try listening to Thin Lizzy who they and foo fighters cite as  a major influence, Metallica recorded Whiskey in the Jar in homage. The Boys are Back in Town perhaps their most famous song. Live and Dangerous their best album, after which they were due to take America by storm but guitarist gets into drunken brawl severs wrist ligaments story over. Lead singer the ultimate outsider fatherless, Black, Irish,Rockstar who liked drink, drugs and women. Enjoy

Donna x

Anonymous

I’m going to see Tool this fall – can’t wait! It’s only been…what? 13 years? Sheesh…

Anonymous

If you are going back I would thought weed was mandatory at a Joe Walsh concert.

Life’s been good. Lol.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?