Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Quick question here about shoppingn for women’s clothes.

Have any of you ladies gone out either en femme up or as masc shopping for anything feminine and received looks of confusion, disgust, or obscurity when askinng for advice or to try something on?

I have shopped for many clothing items both with my wife and those times I “was shopping for her”.

If I pick up something and am not sure of the fit, of course I will need to visit the fitting room to try it on. Some stores are very progressive and set me up with no problem. Some on the other hand say to me “you know this is for women right?”.

Stay beautiful ladies!

Hi Jennifer

Go clothes shopping waaaaay too much!

In masculine clothing, androgynous, en femme, no matter. The store wants your dollars!
      Never had a problem, in fact the shop assistants are usually thrilled when I say it’s for me. I just love browsing soooo much. Sometimes get glances from other customers but hey ho! Just tell myself they must be admiring me LOL

If you want to try things on, ask. What’s the worst that can  happen! I have had a couple of times the assistant has spoken to the manager before letting me use the ladies changing rooms but once in they have individual cubicles.
      If you are a bit unsure pick a store with male and female clothing departments, I remember a couple of times when I first started, taking a dress under some male clothes into a male changing room with individual cubicles.

B x

Harriette
      Lady

“If I pick up something and am not sure of the fit, of course I will need to visit the fitting room to try it on.” Jennifer

I learned to bring a measuring tape and my notes, to do a sizing pre-check, to need a change room less often. If an item doesn’t measure up, so to speak, move on.

Harriette
        Lady

While shopping, now, a young sales clerk was helping me find some pants. She was giggling because I was wanting women’s clothes, but when we found a reasonable pair, I whipped out my measuring tape and quickly sized them up. She was surprised at how well I knew what to look for and said that she will have to remember that. Save some trips to the change room.

I always shop in fem with one exception (below). Every experience has been perfect and absolutely nothing but sincere help and suggestions from those working at the stores. This applies to all things I buy for Sandy, clothes, accessories, makeup etc.

I want and need to try what I buy on because if I don’t Love It meaning fit and look I will not buy. When I shop I also have a plan on what I want. I may do some browsing shopping but overall I stick with my plan. I find a plan cuts down on items I don’t really need.

My exception is say-a dress not available in my size, so I would order online. Another exception is one store I have a lot of clothes from, WHBM has very consistent sizing and sells many items online only so in this case I will buy online. I can return to store or by mail.

Sandy

J J
      Lady

I have had many different experiences and few, really no, poor reactions. The worse it ever got was having to go to the men’s dressing room to try things on, and once being asked at VS to come back near closing when it was less busy, it was Christmas, so they were very busy. Mostly I just get an “of course” and am directed to the changing room in which ever department I am shopping in. I have never had any issues shopping for make up regardless of how I was dressed.

I have tried on clothes or lingerie in fully male mode and fully en femme, and in between. I shop mostly in California where I live, but have shopped and tried things on in a few European countries, Canada, and in several very conservative US states like Utah, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

I always shop en femme and have never had a problem with SA’s or the fitting rooms.

As soon as I own up to shopping for myself, I cease being a pervert and become a customer. I have always had positive experiences, gotten good advice. Sometimes I get a funny little smile at first, but when they discover I am a serious buyer all is well.  I do enjoy it when a sales person says: “Hmm, this might look good on you.”

Anonymous
      Lady

Shopping in drab is no problem. I realised it was no problem and I wouldn’t get lynched (in the UK anyway) after an experience a few years back.

There was a shop, Evans, that catered for women’s larger sized shoes within its range. I went into one branch and picked a pair without trying them on. Awful fit.

I built up my courage to ge back for a refumd. The lady couldn’t have been nicer and started chatting away, she told me to contact customer services and tell them the advertised range didn’t match what was actually in stock and was poor, losing her sales and hacking off me the customer. I realised I was a customer to her, not a weirdo or oddball.she added no problem me going back shopping and if I needed any help give her or any of her team a shout.

I could have hugged her.

Harriette
        Lady

One of the best shopping experiences that I could have even wished for happened in the first store that I went into looking for shoes while dressed in drab. I had so little femme clothes, at that time, that I had no choice. I just pulled up my big boy pants and walked in facing who knows what.

We all have to start somewhere.

Going into other shoe stores since then has been hit and miss, but the first store set such a high bar that the not-so-good or bad experiences were easily handled with a strong back.

You will never know how good some people are until you try.

The first pair of heels that I bought were ‘in drab’ from a street market (at a quiet time). The vendor, an elderly gentleman, could not have been more polite and helpful. He asked if I wanted to try on the pair I had chosen, but when I said they were for my girlfriend he did not insist, but he knew they were for me and I knew he knew. But he did say that if they did not fit I could bring them back the next day.
      The second pair of shoes were from a shop, again I was ‘in drab’ but this time underdressed, and so I was wearing stockings. The shop was empty when I entered. One of the shopping assistants come over to me and asked if she could help. I contemplated running out, but somehow manage to muster the courage and asked to see a certain pair of shoes in my size. She did not blink, but bless her, this young lady, simply gave me a reassuring smile and went to get the shoes. She brought them in a couple of sizes and asked if I would like to try them on. At this point a mother and young daughter walked into the shop. I removed my drab shoes and since I had stockings on the assistant did not ask me to wear a pair of store pop socks. I nervously slipped on the one shoe then the other and walked over to a mirror. There were a couple of embarrassed giggles from the mother/daughter, but they did not persist and they simply kept on about what they were doing – the same as me, looking for shoes. I told the helpful and kind assistant that I would take them, she asked if I wanted to try on the other size that she had brought out, but since the shoe fit me like a glove I told her it was not necessary.
      Nowadays I normally shop online (it was not possible in my earlier life) or with my wife. I remember one time, my wife and I visited a new dress store just to see what they had, neither of use were looking for anything in particular. As we entered, an assistant walked up to my wife (she is a lovely lady, but is not as slim as she used to be), and said in a rather caty way, I’m sorry we have nothing for you, (as it turned out unbeknown to us they only stocked small sizes), but my wife, within a heart beat said, we’re not looking for her but for me. The snotty assistant didn’t know what to say or where to look! Suffice to say, we didn’t buy anything there, and the shop did not last long – not surprising with the awful attitude of the assistant.
      Hugs
      Christine

Many years ago I was looking for ladies sweaters in a ladies shop near my house.As I entered the store and started looking for my size a sales associate approached me and asked what I needed.I told her “I am looking for some nice spring sweaters in my size”,her answer to me was”We dont do that stuff here”.I thanked her for her time and walked out the door.I went two miles down the road and entered another shop and had a great shopping trip.The first shop is no longer in business.

The first time I went to Torrid I was dressed and immediately was welcomed by the sales girls. They set up a fitting room with my name written on the whiteboard on the door. I felt so special and catered to! They watched as I puled things from the racks, offered to take them and put them in the room for me and even suggested other items I might like. What a wonderful experience.

I have been to other stores that do a similar thing with the white boards on the doors of the fitting rooms. It always feels special.

Catos has been a good place to shop as well.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Stepping Out For The First Time’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?