Viewing 3 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Samantha Joan
      Hostess

When does a film stop being just a film and starts to become iconic?

I have a list of Christmas films that must be watched well in advance of the big day. So far three down…

On Tuesday night, I was lucky enough to see It’s A Wonderful Life at my local cinema. As it turns out, it was the last night of opening before London lockdown kicked in. There goes my Wonder Woman 84 booking!

Like my trip to see Die Hard, getting an opportunity to see a film on the big screen plus another Christmas classic, made braving the cold weather, all the better for it.

We know the story; although it still amazes me that upon release, the film was a critical failure, investigated by the FBI and lost RKO over $500,000. This was director Frank Capra’s first film since his return from the war, see the brilliant Five Came Back documentary on Netflix.

It’s a Wonderful Life is almost the best example of how one film, over time and generations goes beyond itself and becomes an unmissable seasonal film. Should there ever be an opportunity to see this film at your local cinema, please take it. I love the story as much as Scrooge/A Christmas Carol and like always, I end up crying and happy.  Besides, who would not want to be in Bedford Falls on Christmas Eve?

Please let me know your memories, stories, and thoughts…

Hugs

Samantha x x

Every time I see it it gives me tingles at various points in the film, these tingles build up until the last scene which still brings a tear to eye to this day.

Confession time.

Up until about 2 years ago I’d never seen this movie. I Had heard and seen about a million references to it (of course I didn’t get the references until watching it!)

Now it is easily one of my favourite Christmas movies of all, and usually the 1st one in the yearly selection of must watches.

Just started in on The Bishops Wife late last night, but fell asleep almost 10 mins in. Supposed to be a close cousin to It’s a Wonderful Life.

Josie Angel
      Duchess

Hi, Samantha.  It’s nice to meet another film buff.

I have to confess “It’s a Wonderful Life” isn’t my favorite, even though I like Jimmy Stewart.  Maybe I prefer him in Hitchcock films.  Rifftrax has finally done a riff of “It’s a Wonderful Life” and I look forward to watching it soon.

I never liked that George Bailey starts out wanting to write and see the world.  And then he gives up on that dream and gets trapped in domestic life.  The film seems like a cautionary tale to me.  And I guess I’ve kind of lived it.  I’m now trapped in the family business and not living my own dreams.

The movie my girlfriend and I have to watch every year is “A Christmas Story.”

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?