Viewing 16 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Back in the 1970s, it seemed quite a normal thing to see men dressed as ladies in comedy shows;

Monty Python’s Flying circus regularly featured Graham Chapman and often several or even all of the others in drag, mud fighting, being Hells Grannies, the Harpsden Harpies and others.

There were comedians like Dick Emery, and full time drag artists like Danny La Rue and Dame Edna Everage.

On shows like The Two Ronnies, sketches of the duo in drag would frequently appear – and even a full mini-series called “The Worm that Turned”, a fantasy about a time in the future when all men would be dressed as women, in dresses similar to those of the 50s-70s, while women largely wore tiny hot pants and tight tops, and were in control of society.

US shows like M*A*S*H* featured a guy who cross dressed in order to get himself chucked out of the military (did’t work!).

How many more of these were there?

Are there any currently being made?

Enjoy!

Love

Laura

Hi Laura, I can think of a couple, cissy and ada played by the late Les Dawson and the late Roy Barraclough. Another well known one was the late Kenny Everett who played Cupid Stunt who uttered the words “its all done in the best possible taste”, later programmes include of course Julian Clary who dressed as a drag queen as does Paul O’grady as well, oh! and dont forget the late Benny Hill too as he was often dressed as a woman in his hit comedy series “the Benny Hill show”. As far as I know these were only UK based programmes but they may have been aired abroad too 🙂 .

Fiona xxx

Anonymous

Gloria from It Ain’t Half Hot Mum!

There are also the various slightly more grotesque characters found in David Walliams and Matt Lucas programs, and also The League of Gentlemen.

Hi Laura………his name is Corporal Max Klinger………..One of the best shows ever made.

Have you seen The Bird Cage….starring Nathan Lane Robin Williams and Gene Hackman…..it is a riot!

TTFN………

Dame Veronica.

Anonymous

Good shouts, Fiona – I remember all of them well, especially cuddly Ken / Cupid Stunt!

The British artist Perry Grayson often appears on the comedy news show “Have I Got News For You” – he’s such a sissy dresser, but the only current CD I can think of – unless you include Justin Fletcher (from my home town!), who dresses up as several female characters on his children’s show “Gigglebiz”; Ann Teak, Dina Lady, Gail Force, Aunt Polly and several others.

Anonymous

Bosom Buddies, early 1980s starring Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari.

Michelle Liefde
      Ambassador

Hmm, if I remember correctly Drew Carey’s brother on The Drew Carey Show was a CD. Also Walter Goggins played a transwoman on Sons of Anarachy.

There is (was) a recent show here in the USA titled “Transparent” produced by Amazon, but the show was cancelled after two seasons. I never had the proper access to Cable or Amazon, or whatever, and never got to see it. There are clips on YouTube. It’s not yet available on Netflix.

I really want to check it out, because the main character, Jeffrey Tambor, is near my age when he starts crossdressing 24/7.

Anonymous

Just a heads up about Transparent  There is 4 seasons so far.  I found that it kind of goes off the rails in the last season . My opinion only.  I’m not sure where it would go if there was going to be another season..

Rami Love
        Lady

Transparent was canceled because the Jeff Tambor’s alleged sexual harassment of a co starring female actor and an on set assistant for which he was fired. Appropriate pronoun in that Jeff Tambor is a male actor playing a transsexual. Which was a shame because overall I felt the Hollywood production, cast, crew and writers pretty much nailed it. I can now relate to the “Me Too” movement, but only as a consequence of females being victimized. Perhaps the television production will be recast without Mr. Tambor.

Rami Love
      Lady

The central character in the Romanoffs Season 1, episode 8 “Stranger on A Train” is a MTF transgender named Simon played by Hugh Skinner.  I would not recommend watching this episode if not for the powerful scene where Rebeca Roots playing Dana explains to Simon the meaning of being transgender.  To discuss further would be a spoiler, but let me just say that as a closeted secret crossdresser I cannot relate to the ending, but after attending group with people in transition, I can easily see how some may be able to relate to the twisted sick ending.

Rami Love

Rami Love
      Lady

Binge watched the comedy “Sex Education” on Netflix, it was fun and enjoyable with a positive message.

Michelle Liefde
      Ambassador

i can’t believe I forgot to mention, Sense8.  Nomi Marks is such an amazing character surrounded by amazing characters in one of my more recent favorite shows!  If you have not, check it out.  Jamie Clayton is awesome, charismatic, beautiful, and a ton of other positive adjectives that I am forgetting.

Jaime Parris
      Contributing Editor

I’ll mention couple of obscure TV shows if you want to look them up.  About ten years ago there was a short-lived series called Dirty Sexy Money that had a recurring transgender character.  She was played by Candis Cayne, who is a transgender actress.

Even more obscure is the show Hit & Miss starring Chloe Sevigny.  It lasted one season.  It’s about a transgender assassin who had to balance her career and a trailer full of children, one of which is hers.

One current show not already mentioned is British-Irish sitcom Mrs Browns Boys where Brendan O’Carrol Plays Mrs (Agnes) Brown and his real life wife Jennifer Gibney plans Mrs Browns daughter. Most of the cast are related in real life – would love to be a fly on the wall in their house.

Some of the older stuff was a load of fun and I remember ‘the worm that turned’ on the two Ronnies. Skin tight black rubber hot pants – cor blimey! What an eye-full. Then came the PC brigade, things have never been the same since. Depends where one stands how one sees this but I used to love a good wolf-whistle and I know a good few girls who would just turn and wave lol.

Also used to love Paul O’grady playing Lily Savage. These days he only seems to play with dogs (he’s a real softie when it comes to our doggie friends).

Take care girls

Anne-Marie

Anonymous

Ok, not exactly on TV, but in the news today; For me, a heart warming story.

http://BBC News – Drag Queen Story Time: connecting kids with LGBTQ+ role models of colour https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47720808

Molly
        Duchess

Thanks Laura;

Love this clip, I’ve got to hand it to this girl; so brave and looking so good.

Molly

Anonymous

I see him/her more as a person than a member of either sex. Presenting mainly as a kind of exaggerated woman, but with a beard, stating plainly that a man in a dress looks just fine, but underneath, is a real, caring human being.

There’s a lot of positivity going on here, and pioneering work for “regular” cross dressers. I feel like joining one of those reading groups myself!

Love Laura

Deanna Lund
      Duchess

Mrs. Brown’s boys was hysterical and, if i recall included a transgender son.

On America, Jack Benny dressed as a woman as did Red Skelton but Flip Wilson did it regularly!

Deanna Lund
      Duchess

Christopher Morley was a wonderful female impersonator. He was in the movie “the bachelor ” and “freebie and the bean” among others.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?