63 Posts
18 Users
95 Thanks
16.6 K Views
Lady
Topic starter
(@carlafirst11)
Reputable Member     West Covina, California, United States of America

Hello all music lovers, I must admit, my roots are in music in Spanish, my parents music as a child is all I listened, then satellite TV came, along with it MTV, what a wonderful world, music from the U.S., UK and a couple of other euro countries as well as Australiamy world got a full load of excitement, so much music. I have given it a lot of thought as who to put in this topic, extremely hard, so many favorites, but I just love Angus and Brian, two of my favorite guitar players, but I am going to give a little more love to Queen, in my opinion, Freddie was out of this world, he was a very talented singer with an incredible range. I am certain that many of you will debate me, but as I said it, it wasn’t an easy decision.

Hope you enjoy it.

Carla❤️

62 Replies
26 Replies
Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

Famed Member     North County San Diego, California, United States of America

@carlafirst11 

My first love and career was in the music biz.  I've listened to literally tens of thousands of artists from countless genres of music.  A list of favorites would be in the hundreds at least.  Deciding between two highly respected and influential artists is impossible for me.  AC/DC and Queen were both chart topping artists.  Both bands had world-class musicians.  Each band had their own distinctive musical style that I found appealing.  At any given time, either of those styles might've meshed better with my then current interests.  For me, AC/DC and Queen....or any other influential artists I might compare....they stand on their own merits.  If it's good, it'll find a place in my library.

/EA

Lady
(@carlafirst11)

@emilyalt absolutely correct, you just put it so perfectly, I just love so many different genres, there is so very little music that I can say, don’t enjoy.

Thank you 😍

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@carlafirst11

I listen to a broader range of music now than my radio days.

/EA

Lady
(@carlafirst11)

@emilyalt 

Same here

Lady
(@leainvancouver)

Honorable Member     Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

@emilyalt I’m with both you girls! (Writing as I’m listening to Aydio) My tastes have changed a lot as I moved through life, but music has been absolutely vital.

Being sensitive and emotional, music gave me a language to understand  and express my feelings in a world that was indifferent and insensitive to the way I felt.

Music has been my life blood, my salvation, my passion, although I’m not as nutty about it as I was as a youngster.  I craved to be part of the biz like being a musician, sound engineer, DJ, etc. but I never made a career out of it, thank god. Music from any source, if it’s authentic will stir my soul and nourish me. 

Baroness
(@alexina)

Noble Member     Fife, United Kingdom

@leainvancouver Hi, Lea, I could have written your post, so similar to my own.

Being a teenager in the late sixties, I listened to the wireless (not exactly a crystal set but primitive compared to what was about to be available within a couple of years!) Most of the stuff was mid sixties pop but then I discovered psychedelia and Wow! Then came my lifelong preference for herbal rather than alcohol recreation 😎.

Like you, I have always loved music and the power it has to create community. I have also regretted never learning to play an instrument so last year I decided that I would learn to play the bass guitar that I've owned for over 25 years.

I watched YouTube "instructions", with limited success, then I took a dozen lessons with a proper guitar teacher. Now I can actually play along with songs! Ok, it's tab rather than reading music (life really is too short and musical notation is too much like math) but I can sit for hours making music. Just this weekend I found the tab for Moon Safari by Air and within minutes I was playing a very reasonable version of one of my fave songs of theirs. Yes, La Femme D'argent!  I'm very pleased and now looking to jam with a couple of friends that actually did play in bands.

Allie x

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

Noble Member     Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

@alexina I'm another herbal aviatrix 😉  

I've been very musical since a wee nipper so I've always got more into complex music.  I was already starting with basic prog as a teenager before going to Uni in the late 80's, but then the right company and state of mind led to an absolute explosion of musical discovery!  I'd played the piano since childhood and ended up working out by ear, arrangements for 10 fingers of all the 70's Genesis and other stuff I was finding.  I still take music apart in my head now.

With that and a tendency towards the melodic rather than raw or harsh, it's no surprise I'd go for Queen over AC/DC, but I absolutely respect both, venerable veterans and stalwarts.  Wasn't Freddie just the consummate showman!  However, I just know Queen's output far too well to get much enjoyment out of it any more.  Prog/jazz fusion is where it's at for my male self now, which sadly doesn't have much emotional depth to interest Fiona 😪 

Baroness
(@alexina)

@finallyfiona 

working out by ear, arrangements for 10 fingers of all the 70's Genesis and other stuff I was finding

Wow! Huge respect, Fiona. I know it's been said before but imagine a few of us onstage, dressed impeccably, of course, rockin' the joint. [Teehee] 

Allie x

Baroness
(@alexina)

@finallyfiona You've just given me an idea, Fiona. I'm going to check out different music, when dressed and/or feeling more Allie than drab.

I know amazon music curates playlists so I'll have a look....and listen, see if I appreciate it more as Allie or if I still think it's dross.

Thanks, hon, I'll obviously let you know how it goes xx

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@leainvancouver 

Music has always had a profound effect on me too Lea.  I usually choose what I'm going to listen to based on the emotions I'm feeling at the time.

I've also noticed that a well-curated DJ set has more of an emotional effect than the algorithms most streaming services use.  Good DJs have an uncanny ability to segue songs that perfectly compliment each other.  The set becomes greater than its parts.  Of course, live radio DJs are a rarity these days.

/EA

Lady
(@leainvancouver)

@emilyalt I agree with you Emily. The closest I got to the music business was being a DJ on university radio. It was fun and we got into a lot of nonsense too.

I almost had an orgasm each time I went into the library which had thousands of records. I had a couple thousand myself in my prime. 😂

My hobby was making mix tapes and sending them to friends. I still do much the same thing today by sharing my playlists on Spotify.  😉

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@leainvancouver

Back in those days Lea, what happened in the music library best stayed in the music library! 

I worked at 3 university stations in 12 years and did concert promotions for 2 schools.  I also did fill-in shifts at a couple of commercial stations.  It all ended suddenly when I got kicked off the air at my last station.  Yes, the fate of many a DJ!  The dean for student affairs discovered I'd graduated several years before and had to go.  I heard rumors someone turned me in but never found out who.  I haven't worked in the music biz since.  I'd love to do it again at the right place.  A cool record label or non-commercial station.  I'll need something to do once I'm done with IT.

/EA

Lady
(@harriette)

Famed Member     Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by: @emilyalt

@carlafirst11 

If it's good, it'll find a place in my library.

My library is similar - diverse. Lots of electronic and '80s new age music, including Wendy Carlos, Tangerine Dream, Eno, some Melotron. Annie Haslam, Procol Harem, Thijs van Leer, Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM), Tarja Turunen, and so on. 

However, having said that, I have one Queen album and nothing AC/DC, so it looks as if that is my final answer.

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@harriette 

I haven't listed to some of those artists in many years.  You need to get some AC/DC Harriette!

/EA

Lady
(@leainvancouver)

@harriette Oh my God! Those names rang Tubular Bells all down my sides! 😃. Don’t get me started!

In 1968 Switched on Bach had classical music purists foaming at the mouth. Walter Carlos was the first well known musician to publicly switch genders, that I’m aware of. It made a big impression on me when he became Wendy Carlos. What a year! 

Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @leainvancouver

Walter Carlos was the first well known musician to publicly switch genders, that I’m aware of. It made a big impression on me when he became Wendy Carlos. What a year! 

I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know.

Lady
(@leainvancouver)

@harriette Wendy Carlos was THE first transgender person to accept a Grammy according to my sources.

Lady
(@jillleanne)

Honorable Member     Renfrew, Ontario, Canada

@carlafirst11 there’s a hundred I can pick, Freddie, Carlos, Hendrix, Page, Trower, Stevie Ray,  I could go on forever.

Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @jillleanne

@carlafirst11 there’s a hundred I can pick, Freddie, Carlos, Hendrix, Page, Trower, Stevie Ray,  I could go on forever.

Not many of those are alive today. During the summer of 1990, a friend and I saw a local fave, Jeff Healey, plus Jeff Beck, and Stevie Ray Vaughan in Toronto's Skydome. During the next week, Stevie had died in the helicopter crash. Since then, Healey died of cancer and Beck passed away recently. RIP

Lady
(@jillleanne)

@harriette Getting older now and can’t get myself to concerts anymore. lol  Started going to concerts after attending Woodstock in NY state in 69. Seen Stevie Ray at the El Macombo in TO. Lots of other groups over the years, Alice Cooper, Yes, ELP, The Who, Moody Blues, Black Sabbath, Van Morrison, Dylan,Rush, many more. I’m not sure if I could afford to go today. Alice Cooper in 70 was twelve bucks! lol like you say, a lot of original band members have moved on sadly. I wish Geddy and Lifeson would do something with a new drummer, in memory of Neil or something.

Duchess
(@missylinda)

Noble Member     Ft Worth, Texas, United States of America

@carlafirst11 I listen to and enjoy many forms of music.  You can enjoy great talent of voice or instrument, but also the lyrics.  Like great poetry, lyrics can move you deeply, or tell great stories.  Perhaps most of all, some involves the greatest of emotions, love.  As an incurable romantic, I vote for “ The first time ever I saw your face”.  It releases all the feelings and emotion I have for my bride of 54 years.  What’s your favorite?

Lady
(@jillleanne)

@missylinda there are just too many to pick one. I could name a hundred that move me. One of Van Morrisons, Have I told you lately, would be right up there.

Lady
(@jillleanne)

Did I mention Carlos Santana. Samba Pa Ti? Top ten for sure for me.

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

Illustrious Member     Norfolk, United Kingdom

@jillleanne I've always loved this too 🙂

Duchess
(@missylinda)

Noble Member     Ft Worth, Texas, United States of America

@jillleanne   Another for me, “for what it’s worth” the anthem of my generation.

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@carlafirst11 

This response doesn't exactly following the whole 'AC/DC or Queen' vibe, but you DID trigger me by saying your roots in music are in Spanish 🙂

As an acoustic guitarist I can't let this thread drift by without mentioning Albeniz, de Falla, Rodrigo, Torroba ...

'Asturias'.

'Recuerdos de la Alhambra'.

Heaven 🙂

Ellie x

Duchess Annual
(@firefly)
Noble Member     Panama, Panama, Panama

Queen too. I also hear music in Spanish. 

Gisela

(@caroline2k)
Honorable Member     Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom

AC/DC, without question. Although I qualify that by saying 'preferably AC/DC with Bon Scott'. I just love their earlier stuff (up to and including 'Highway To Hell') as the music has a rawness and Bon adds character and swagger (and bagpipes!).

Queen - despite the fact that they are my partner's favourite band just don't do it for me. I like the odd song ('Killer Queen' 'Under Pressure' and 'Radio Gaga' are very good, and the 'Freddie solo' part of 'We Are the Champions' up to the chorus is great) but she has failed to convert me. I think Freddie Mercury was a brilliant musician and performer, but I just have never managed to get into them (and I grew up with them on the radio from the 70s so it's not for want of trying!). Also, I hate Brian May's guitar sound!

13 Replies
Lady
(@jillleanne)

@caroline2k I too love all Queen stuff. Really? Brian May? Love em!

(@caroline2k)

@jillleanne Brian May? Yeah, sorry. Can't stand it.

Love his work with the badgers though 😜😁

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@caroline2k

That said, 'Save the Badger Badger Badger' doesn't rank among his finest work - even though Brian Blessed was involved.

(@caroline2k)

@ellyd22 

How can you say that?!!! 😲😁

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@caroline2k 

'Save the Badger Badger Badger' doesn't rank among his finest work - even though Brian Blessed was involved.

Okay, that statement was possibly a bit sweeping, and I feel that I should clarify.

I'm not a fan of the bit that goes:

'Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger.'

But then again that's offset by this quite wonderful line:

'Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger'.

That's the work of a master lyricist at the peak of their powers.

(@caroline2k)

@ellyd22 Well that one is of course, an adaptation of an earlier song called 'Badger' by Brian's collaborator, Weebl.

You might find the original more to your liking, as there are also mushrooms - and a snake! 😉

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@caroline2k

I'm an acoustic guitarist, and in a former life I used to perform in folk clubs. I've never branched out into electric but I've always loved Brian May's sound. You can recognise an artist by their brush strokes, and the very best guitarists also have a unique relationship with their instruments. Keith Richards, for example, is unmistakeable.

Speaking of AC/DC, have you ever listened to the acoustic version of Thunderstruck' by Luca Stricagnoli, or watched the video? He is a BEAST.

Hugs

Ellie x

(@caroline2k)

@ellyd22 

You've never, ever gone electric Ellie? But even Martin Carthy has played electric guitar! 😉

When I learned to play guitar, I was listening to lots of folk and psychedelia (and psychedelic folk!) alongside run-of-the-mill rock. As much as I loved (and still love) folk, the psychedelia won, based on the racket you can make. It has left me with a right-hand technique that combines plectrum and picking - like a budget Roger McGuinn! - which I think gives me a 'sound' 🙂

That version of 'Thunderstruck' by Luca Stricagnoli is pretty cool 🙂

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@caroline2k 

I've never even TRIED electric ... just acoustic for me. And no plectrum, just fingerpicking.

(@caroline2k)

@ellyd22

How is that even possible! 😲

😉

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@caroline2k 

My style of guitar playing wouldn't really lend itself to electric guitar.

Electric ragtime? 🙁

Maybe one day I'll buy a cheap electric guitar and experiment ...

(@caroline2k)

@ellyd22 Ragtime? Wow, I'm impressed! 🙂

Actually, I once saw the guitarist of a Spanish hotel band playing Steve Howe's 'The Clap' (which is sort-of ragtime-y) on a Gibson ES335 during their soundcheck. It certainly impressed the teenage me.

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@caroline2k 

I don't know that ... and now I'm going to HAVE to look it up 🙂

(@joezdahlhouse)
Eminent Member     Southern California IE, California, United States of America

May I listen to Led Zeppelin first and get back to you with the Queen vs AC/DC?

But seriously Angus Young does the epitome Holy Grail Marshall Plexi tone to judge all plexi amplification! 

On the other hand Brian May with his fireplace hearth homemade electric guitar has done alot for voicing that British AC30 Vox tone which has evolved into a whole other pathway into much of the boutique tone so very elusive but to a few precious examples...

I am still a bigger Jimmy Page fan even though being very much a purist. The holy trinity of British Blues Explosion guitarists is what truly gets my panties in a wad!

5 Replies
Duchess Annual
(@firefly)

@joezdahlhouse I am also a bigger fan of Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and George Harrison are my trinity of guitarist. Then Carlos Santana and Slash.

(@caroline2k)

@joezdahlhouse Now that would be an interesting forum topic - Marshall or Vox! 🙂

Ironically, given my comment on Brian May's guitar sound, I much prefer the sound of a Vox AC30, although despite having owned several Marshalls, I've never owned an AC30.

My personal weapons of choice are Selmer Treble & Bass and Laney Lionheart heads. The Laney is apparently styled after the AC30 (although not so much as their VC series).

I have mused many times over getting an AC30 - until I try picking it up.

Lady
(@melaniejames)

Reputable Member     Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom

@caroline2k I am so jealous of you plucker. Learning guitar was a interest I always wanted to do but life got in the way. As a youth I was briefly a singer in a band mainly doing DeepPurple covers, love 'em, I was no Ian Gillan! I remember Strange Kinda Woman was one of the set. Rather apt looking back.

Lady
(@jillleanne)

@joezdahlhouse I prefer Page as well, but there is a place for May in history.

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

@joezdahlhouse

British guitarists ... Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, John Martyn.

All hugely influential for me 🙂

Lady
(@missmel)
Eminent Member     West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Saw Queen suppporting Mott the Hoople in 73, great. Saw AC/DC around 75, walked out, absolutely awful. Sad news yesterday, Steve Harley passed away. Saw the original Cockney Rebel supporting Suzi Quatro in 73.

Ambassador
(@melodeescarlet)
Noble Member     Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America

In a comparison of just those two, I would pick Queen, and rather easily. There are some absolutely rippin' AC/DC songs that I love, but overall I find that AC/DC has a repetitive sound. Queen's catalog is much more diverse, while still producing hit after hit after hit.

My 2¢ 🙂

Lady
Topic starter
(@carlafirst11)

Wow ladies, I am truly impressed, but I was totally expecting a nice debate, music is fun, your knowledge is definitely outstanding.

Thank you all ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Lady
(@melaniejames)

Both are fantastic and it's a hard choice but I would go for the Bonn Scott period of AC/DC. I just prefer the harder sound. Not much in it though. Freddie was a great front man along with others like Phil Lynott, loved his stuff too.

Lady
(@missmel)

I should add to my last post, and I know I will upset some of you, but after Queen's "initial" more rocky incarnation I am afraid they got a bit pompous and overblown for me. Thankfully along came Punk!!!

Light the touchpaper and retire..............

(@jessica1996mx)
Eminent Member     Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico

I'm a huge fan of the late 70s-early 80s Queen period (Sheer Heart Attack, chef's kiss), but I find Back in Black to be a perfect album. My tiebreaker will be live performances, so Queen takes the cake. Live Killers is like a Greatest Hits album based on live takes, and there is nothing left to say about their Live Aid gig, so long live the Queen.

Absolutely love to talk about music, feel free to DM me 🙂

Also, I'm curious on what type of Spanish-speaking music you listened in your younger days.

Kisses,

Jessica

1 Reply
Lady
(@carlafirst11)

@jessica1996mx 

Hello Jessica, thank you for your reply. My parents liked traditional Mexican music, especially boleros rancheros. My father loved mambo, as I got older I primarily listened to pop music from all Latin America and Spain, then in my early to late teens all soft to heavy metal rock, but I also love salsa, merengue, cumbia. I just love music. I  don’t consider myself an expert, just appreciate it all.

Duchess Annual
(@firefly)

¡Saaalsa! ¡Qué viva la música! (Long live music!) Latín music power. And latín jazz. Yeah!

Mexican music: I like Juan Gabriel, Yuri and Daniela Romo.  Also Maná and La Santa Cecilia.

Gisela 

2 Replies
Lady
(@melaniejames)

@firefly Carlos Santana is a genius though he is possibly the only guitarist I know from your part of the world.

Duchess Annual
(@firefly)

@melaniejames Thanks, Melanie. Sure. Carlos Santana is a favorite. He called himself Devadip.

If you want to enjoy another talented guitarist from my part of the world look for El Negro Garcìa López in YouTube. An Argentine admirer of Jimmy Hendrix. One of the top Latino American guitarists of his time. Unluckily he was killed in a car accident about ten years ago.

Or the folk rock group PorSuiGieco, although they only played together for three years the group  is one of the best rock groups in Spanish.

Gisela

Baroness
(@ryanpaul)
Noble Member     Outer Eastern Suburbs Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Neither... I'm a broken down old rocker, Hank Marvin of the English 60's instrumental group The Shadows were are still are my guitar gods. Especially Hank.

Caty.

3 Replies
Lady
(@margprodue)

Prominent Member     Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America

@ryanpaul  Hey Caty, I always liked the Shadows too.  Marg

Baroness
(@ryanpaul)

Noble Member     Outer Eastern Suburbs Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

@margprodue Hi Marg, ah yes, the intro to "Apache" is playing in my head as I type. First song I tried to play on an old hand me down acoustic guitar.

These days, I own three guitars, two great Aussie made Maton's and of course, a Fender Stratocaster, like "Hank" plays.  Cant be a "broken down rocker" without a "Strat"

Plus ,by sheer coincidence, my brother has just handed back to me a box of casette tapes. (Remember them!!!)

There are SIX "Shads" cassettes in that box, most of them originals.

And to really.. show my age, I still have at least two "steroes" capable of playing them

Happy dressing  (and Shads playing)

Caty.

PS and The Ventures were good too.. Now I have "Walk Dont Run" on repeat in my head...

Lady
(@margprodue)

Prominent Member     Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America

@ryanpaul    We just had a Telecaster (now belonging to my son).  Rock on Caty !                                      Marg

Lady
(@missmel)

I loved glam rock, when a boy could wear a pink satin jacket and get away with it.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?