Notifications
Clear all

DO YOU HAVE OPEN AND HONEST COMMUNICATION WITH YOUR PARTNER / SIGNIFICANT OTHER ? Poll is created on Mar 15, 2024

DO YOU HAVE OPEN AND HONEST COMMUNICATION WITH YOUR PARTNER / SIGNIFICANT OTHER ?

88 Posts
36 Users
414 Thanks
Lady
Topic starter
(@barbiegoldwin)
Estimable Member     Gulfport , Mississippi, United States of America

Sitting at the dining table having breakfast of oatmeal with fresh sliced strawberries on top and a cup of coffee, I looked at my partner and asked a very intimate question about our relationship. What I got in response was a smile with eye contact and a very honest answer followed by, ....... "and I love you"....... So yes, me and my partner have a very open and honest line of communication. I feel that I could have any conversation at any time.

87 Replies
25 Replies
Lady
(@sashabennett)

Reputable Member     Wick, Caithness, United Kingdom

@barbiegoldwin TBH dressing isn't even a topic to be discussed these days unless it's "what wig goes with that outfit". We have always had a very open relationship luckily & it just makes life so much easier for both of us.

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

Famed Member     North County San Diego, California, United States of America

@barbiegoldwin 

I currently don't have a partner/SO in my life and I'm okay with that.  There are certain advantages to being unattached....

I amicably split with my last GF almost 2 years ago.  It was mutual.  She knew I was trans but we had a DADT relationship.  We took it as far as we could.  There's still a ton of love between us.  We're each other's best friend.  We still get together at least once a week.

Almost all my other partners didn't know.  My ex-wife discovered my secret and it went badly.  I've written plenty about that so I won't rehash the ugliness.

/EA

Duchess
(@yaellyonssea)

Trusted Member     Washington, United States of America

@emilyalt Same here. We have a DADT relationship. My wife knows of my crossdressing and even participated early in our relationship but after the 3rd time I would here from then on that "I fell in love with my handsome husband and not a girlfriend". I even tried again 4 years ago by bringing her to my therapist for joint counseling but it went nowhere. It is interesting because my wife is very supportive of the trans community. Just not me. 

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@yaellyonssea 

That's really common Yael.  A wife/SO is fully supportive of the trans/LGBTQ community but can't extend that support to her partner. 

That was my GF too.  Very supportive of the community and acknowledged my need to be authentic.  But she refused to talk and didn't want to see me present as anything other than male.  That might've been an instant dealbreaker. 

Luckily, we had an arrangement where I could be myself whenever she wasn't home....which was fairly often.  And I could spend an occasional weekend away to socialize with the girls I'd met on CDH.  That led to weekends spent in Palm Springs, where I ultimately realized I was trans and needed to transition. 

Ironically, my ex-GF is more supportive now than ever.  We talk about stuff that she flatly refused to discuss when we were living together.  She's even bought me a few small gifts.  I'm fortunate to still have her in my life.

Maybe there was a takeaway in there that could help you?  I hope so.

/EA

Duchess
(@yaellyonssea)

Trusted Member     Washington, United States of America

@emilyalt Thank you Em. It is funny you mention Palm Springs as I am friendly with a few "gals" on Facebook from Palm Springs. I have tried unsuccessfully to get to Crossroads one of these years. My former best friend used to help me a lot. It was always so easy to talk to her about these things. She being a Speech Pathologist that worked with crossdresser and gals transitioning I think gave her an open mind. She was shocked when I came out to her but not surprised for some reason. I am going to try and go to Esprit this year since Port Townsend is an easy drive. So like you when my wife is not home or I am traveling I always get to dress. I have been out publicly twice now. Once in Ft. Lauderdale and once in Los Angeles. I loved both times and it felt natural to me but I was still concerned what people thought of me. Thank you for the response. Lets stay in touch.

Yael 

Lady
(@leainvancouver)

Honorable Member     Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

@yaellyonssea I hope to meet you at Esprit this year!

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@yaellyonssea

You're on Yael!  I would like to attend Esprit someday.  The Port Townsend/Sequim/Port Angeles area is beautiful!

/EA

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

Illustrious Member     Norfolk, United Kingdom

@emilyalt 

You're tempting ME as well ...

Duchess
(@siobhann)

Estimable Member     Colorado, United States of America

@emilyalt I think about this. If it's intimate, sexual, my wife isn't attracted to my female self. That's okay, as I have my feelings, she does, too. I don't necessarily view my female self as a sex thing. I'd love if she and I had that, but I truly just need to be me. When we are just hanging out, my wife adores me in capris, blouse, and an apron trying to create some gourmet dish. But if I have mascara and liner on, and try to get frisky, she's not in it. People have their attractions, but doesn't mean they don't support you.

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@siobhann 

I know what you're saying Siobhann.  I needed to be me.  And I couldn't be the partner my GF wanted.  So we're best friends now and have a great platonic relationship.  You're fortunate to have a wife that's supportive.  She sounds like a keeper.

/EA

Duchess
(@siobhann)

Estimable Member     Colorado, United States of America

@emilyalt Yeah, she's cool as hell. We are a pair. I cry during movies, and she does not. I fold my clothes, ... all the stereotype stuff, and she'll just microwave a meal, and not put the plate in the sink, and leave towels on the floor, the other stereotype stuff the other way. 

What I think is cool is that you are best friends with your ex. It's refreshing to see.

(@elaines)

Reputable Member     Merseyside, United Kingdom

@barbiegoldwin Not on a day to day basis, but she knows my like of dressing and becoming Elaine.  It's not a daily of regular thing but some triggers like a TV show etc may start a conversation.  Was not always that way but time has healed many questions she had.

(@samanthaxxxx)

Reputable Member     London, London, United Kingdom

@barbiegoldwin What a thought provoking article ...it should get an answer from as many as possible. Bravo

(@barbiegoldwin)

Lady
(@harriette)

Famed Member     Toronto, Ontario, Canada

@barbiegoldwin No. Open communication has always been an issue with my wife, for a variety of reasons. I am working on that, though.

Duchess
(@pattyphose)

Noble Member     Long Island, New York, United States of America

@barbiegoldwin My wife met Patty a couple of weeks after we met. I dressed for her. She was amazed at how pretty and sexy I was and how different I looked. That same day we went out shopping as girlfriends.

We used to go out often and had many girl dates.

(@barbiegoldwin)

Duchess
(@pattyphose)

Noble Member     Long Island, New York, United States of America

@barbiegoldwin Yes, it was very great.

(@samanthaxxxx)

@pattyphose wow that's great

Lady
(@hottestwitch)

Honorable Member     Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

@barbiegoldwin I've got to vote "No" - but if there was an option "Yes - except about crossdressing" I would have opted for that one...  Holly XXX

Lady
(@shnickers)

Eminent Member     California, United States of America

@hottestwitch me too Holly!  🙁

(@barbiegoldwin)

@hottestwitch 

hang in there Holly, don't give up

Lady
(@hottestwitch)

Honorable Member     Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

@barbiegoldwin I'm not going to - it's just that the possible loss (K decides to disappear off) is far, far worse than the possible gain (I get to do what I already do, just in public rather than in private.)  Now; I've got to leave now and go and have a shave - I've got a photosession with Tracey on Tuesday morning (45 hours and counting!) and I've got so choose my tights, panties and shoes.  There will be a few new photos on the site come Thursday or Friday:  I'm now totally on edge and am unlikely to get much sleep between now and then.  I'm sure it's a feeling that many of the ladies out there will recognise!  Holly XXX

Duchess
(@michellemybell)

Honorable Member     Clearwater, Florida, United States of America

@barbiegoldwin My wife knows all about Michelle and tries to be accepting but is very hard for her.  So, if she brings up the topic of my crossdressing, I am honest and open with her but I see how much it hurts her so I do not go there unless requested.  So I guess the best answer for me is honest but not all that open.

(@barbiegoldwin)

@michellemybell 

very understandable Michelle 

Duchess
(@karla1958)
Honorable Member     Not in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America

Many years ago a took a course in sociology.  Attending various supervisor/leadership type schools while in the Air Force, we would always have a block of instruction on counseling.  My wife has a master's in family counseling.  I think this helps us to be able to communicate with each other and be empathetic to each others concerns or problems. 

At the end of my work day, she wants to know all the things that happened and then in turn, I let her tell me all about her day.  We share the good and the bad with open ears and open minds.  

3 Replies
Duchess Annual
(@catgurl)

Noble Member     Marietta, Georgia, United States of America

@karla1958 

Karla,

Thank you for your service in the US Air Force! 

I sent you an invitation to join the International Military Veterans Group here on CDH.

Peggy Sue

US Navy - Retired 

(@barbiegoldwin)

@karla1958 

Having a healthy relationship is a good thing

Duchess
(@karla1958)

@barbiegoldwin Yes, it's very important

Lady
(@chanel)
Reputable Member     New Jersey, United States of America

Open and honest communication on every topic, except one…it’s DADT 😢

1 Reply
(@samanthaxxxx)

@josiecrossdress  That must be hard sweetheart. Hugs across the pond xx

Duchess
(@btwimrobin)
Reputable Member     Vermont, United States of America

So I voted No.  While the topic of crossdressing comes up, it's usually me initiating the conversation.   When I do my wife's body language, tone of voice and demeanor say this is nit something I have any desire to talk about but if I have to I will.  In turn, I become less comfortable talking about it and cut the conversation short.  So the openness and transparency tend to go out the window.

1 Reply
(@samanthaxxxx)

@btwimrobin Hi Robin...an honest ,and for me a sad answer. My current relationship is 4 years and going strong but I opened up last week and be interesting to see where it goes....but any animosity towards Samantha and I have to think about things...conversely I met with an ex last night who not only understands 100 percent but wants to do my make up lend me her best chanel bag and hit dear old London Town very shortly  xx

Lady
(@cdkaylasnow)
Estimable Member     Denver, Colorado, United States of America

Initially I wasn't... I had some bad experiences in a previous relationship that made me a little hesitant to bring up anything about crossdressing or sexuality. But I couldn't hide forever, and I fully trust my wife, so eventually I told her and it feels like we've grown even closer together because of it 😊

4 Replies
(@samanthaxxxx)

@cdkayla Lovely to hear that x

Duchess
(@karla1958)

@cdkaylasnow When I finally told my wife, she was very understanding and supportive.  She says Karla is her new best friend.

(@samanthaxxxx)

@karla1958 That's lovely Karla

(@samanthaxxxx)

Duchess
(@juliarey)
Reputable Member     Wisconsin, United States of America

Absolutely!  Since I came out to my wife I have nothing left to keep from her.  She has some reservations about some of the things I want to do regarding dressing, but I can dress up at home whenever and however I like.  We're going on 22 years of marriage and we're still in love.

XO - Julia

1 Reply
(@barbiegoldwin)

@juliarey 

It's easy to fall in love and a lifetime commitment to stay in love. 

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)
Noble Member     Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

I had to say No.  I know she doesn't know about Fiona, I'm not sure but sometimes think she suspects, but we don't talk about it so it feels like we're in DADT by default.  The Talk is on my radar for later in the year, which will at least ensure that she knows, but may just end up confirming the DADT.  On other things we can talk openly, at least from my point of view, but we don't seem to have to have those sorts of conversations very often.

11 Replies
(@samanthaxxxx)

@finallyfiona Hi sweetheart...I told my current partner last weekend just before they went to their parents.  A lot of questions that I was open about in my replies. I also met up with an ex who I had 12 interesting never dull years let's say and over dinner just came out with it ....she's wonderful with it amd is coming to do my make up next week and then we off to town.  2 weeks ago I would never have dreamt about this buy thanks to you and others I will be in london next week having cocktails and will be shaking...and stared hopefully!! Have a lovely evening sweetheart xx

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

@samanthaxxxx Oh well done my lovely *hugs* I hope your OH can get her head around it all and the two of you can stay strong together.  But what a result with your ex-partner, that's wonderful news!  I'm so happy for you!  And looking forward to the write-up and pictures, of course 😉

Fiona xxx

Lady
(@leainvancouver)

@samanthaxxxx This is a great topic Samantha. I hope all of you struggling with letting your partner into your heart understand that if she is open minded,  she will find a much softer, kinder, gentler person waiting to express herself. Thats a real win/win in a relationship if your partner accept it. She will gain a new BFF. 

(@samanthaxxxx)

• @leainvancouver Hi Lea ...I've tried to get a conversation going with my partner but no response or enthusiasm..whereas my housemate is quite the opposite...each day I read the stories on here I feel more confident and my feminine side is starting to bloom so quickly when I see the beautiful ladies out there xx
Lady
(@leainvancouver)

@samanthaxxxx It sounds like you’re transforming right before our eyes Sam. I hope your SO comes around to who you are. ❤️

(@samanthaxxxx)

@leainvancouver Thank you Lea..

Yes yoy are right..its almost that I'm downloading Samantha and since the first week on this forum with the loving support of you and others I can feel the percentage getting faster...I am getting to the habit of just doing some small things ie trying my make up at home and getting into the routine of taking it off at bedtime etc...its making me feel exhilarated. Off to work here have a lovely weekend Lea xx

(@barbiegoldwin)

(@samanthaxxxx)

@finallyfiona This topic needs to be out there x

(@samanthaxxxx)

@finallyfiona Hi Fiona, your reply keeps going round in my mind,  I truly hope you can have The Talk soon but you always know we are all here for you xx

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

@samanthaxxxx Thank you honey 🙂  We have a big holiday booked in early May for which I'd  prefer not to have any residual strained atmosphere, so I'm planning on waiting until we're home after that.

(@samanthaxxxx)

@finallyfiona Hope you have a lovely time and when that time comes we are all with you x @

(@christineth)
Prominent Member     Brussels, Brabant, Belgium

Hey Ladies,

My answer is “yes”. I am fully out to my wife and (I know) I am so lucky that she is supportive.  I am basically dressed all the time at home and it does not really feature in our conversation anymore, it’s just normal.  I guess the only time I talk about my dressing is when I check if my bra can be seen beneath my shirts/jumpers when I am in outer drab mode.

Hugs

Christine

1 Reply
(@barbiegoldwin)

@christineth 

I'm the same way with sheer dresses & skirts, slip or no slip?

Duchess Annual
(@catgurl)
Noble Member     Marietta, Georgia, United States of America

Absolutely!

IMHO, communications is one of the cornerstones of every successful marriage.

Moreover, I discuss my crossdressing with my wife on a daily basis. 

2 Replies
(@barbiegoldwin)

@catgurl 

good communication makes it all so much easier

(@samanthaxxxx)

@catgurl That's so refreshing, what a special partner x

(@rebeccabaxter)
Prominent Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

I don't go on about it anymore, it's just one of those things that we do together, or me alone. I dress, don't dress, it's up to me but sometimes the wife is surprised if I haven't that particular day (I usually dress at least in a boho skirt for evening meal). We talk about girly clothes, makeup and jewellery, she used to suggest outfits she thought I'd like but that isn't necessary anymore as I have found my own style. She taught me makeup and I don't need her help with that anymore either but I do occasionally give her tips that I've found by looking at Youtube videos, she has also started wearing makeup again and has got a new-found interest in it since I started. As mentioned in another thread, we have now been out in public together and I will be going to the theatre en femme with her. So, I guess I can quite easily answer 'yes' to the poll question. Considering I really only started doing this last September (2023), I suppose we can say it has all gone rather well; I just wish everybody could have this with their SOs as it's rather heart-breaking to read that some people have to sneak around with their feminine side. Perhaps one day it will all be perfectly acceptable but I think it won't be in my lifetime -- and that's in the UK where pretty much anything is acceptable in the right circumstances.

3 Replies
(@samanthaxxxx)

@rebeccabaxter sound like you have supportive partner and as to your last point I do think things are moving forward but its so much easier in London 
..Best wishes 
(@rebeccabaxter)

Prominent Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

@samanthaxxxx 

Any big UK city really, I believe Leeds have a thriving CD community.

(@barbiegoldwin)

@rebeccabaxter 

thank you for your contribution to the conversation

Duchess
(@3s3eve)
Estimable Member     Chicago, Illinois, United States of America

My answer is YES - re: CD'ing though, it was not always that way. Many years spent hiding (my side) and ignoring (her side). I finally fully came out to her about 3+ years ago and there was a period of uncomfortable, awkward discussions, tears (mostly on my side) and acknowledgement that this was something that was inherently part of me that had been buried since my childhood. Therapy helped, and really the fact that we both love each other and are committed to our relationship (over 40 years together ;). Over time, fear grew into tolerance and now more acceptance. While I would not say that she actually embraces my crossdressing, nor does she want to see me dressed, she knows it is something I do for myself and listens when I want to talk about it. There is even a sense of humor about certain things and the lightness in our conversations has both of us feeling more relaxed, which is a remarkable improvement from where things started.

1 Reply
(@barbiegoldwin)

@3s3eve 

thanks for joining the conversation

Duchess
(@reallylauren)
Noble Member     Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I voted yes. Three years ago she picked up my phone to look at something and found a few pictures of me dressed. So the conversation was initiated by having to explain who the person in the pictures was.

I told her at that point that I was a crossdresser and always had been. Several months later I had to have heart surgery, and while recovering in the hospital during Covid, I had to listen to the woman who has always resided inside me from birth. I always knew I was supposed to be a girl, and now the woman inside announced she wanted to be free. I told my wife that I realized I was more than a crossdresser, I was transgender, and needed to transition.

She wrestled with that knowledge and said it would be best if we separated and I found my own place.  She helped me find a place, helped me move, helped me with clothes and shoes, wanted to see my makeup and helped with that, also wanted to see how my bras fit. So she definitely was accepting but still said she needed time to get used to this new woman in her life.

After I had transitioned and was living and working as a woman, I developed a medical condition common to women and had to go to the ER. I met a lady doctor who had spent some time looking through my medical records. She told me many things about myself and asked many questions, including whether any of my doctors had ever mentioned intersexuality. My medical records showed what my chromosome levels are. She told me I had come in identifying as a transwoman and had something common to women, a urinary tract infection, probable due to my rather unique anatomy. She placed her hand on my knee and said, "Lauren, your chromosomes are XXY, you are an intersex female, you are a woman!"

That was last May, and I'm still finding out all I can about being intersex. Interestingly, my spouse is totally fine with this, saying I can't help who I was born as. We always talked with each other every day and we now get together almost once a week. She is fine being with me as the woman I am, now biologically and legally. We talk about clothes, makeup, hair, go shopping, out to eat, and everything else. We even wear the same kind of bra and are both a ladies size L so some clothes fit both of us.

Life is good, girls definitely have more fun!

Hugs girls,

Ms. Lauren M

1 Reply
Lady
(@leainvancouver)

@reallylauren That’s such a beautiful story Lauren, thank you for sharing it. It’s like a dream come true for your authentic self, which was a girl all along. I bet a lot of things in your past made sense once the penny dropped!

(@alexischops)
Active Member     GreaterManchester, United Kingdom

My ex partner was 100% aware and more than supportive and still is as a friend. She actually encouraged it! We picked my name together she could tell how I felt inside daily. If everyone had that it would be a better world. I couldn't have gotten to where I have without her 

Alexis 

1 Reply
(@barbiegoldwin)

Lady
(@krisburton)
Honorable Member     Northern, New Jersey, United States of America

When I first began to crossdress actively I kept it a secret.That lasted about two weeks. The stress was way too much for me to handle, and I decided to come out letting the chips fall as they may. Even a negative response would have been better than the stress I was experiencing. As it turns out i am very glad I did not sell my wife short. She is fully accepting and supportive. In 42 years of marriage we have had many difficult times and challenges, but my crossdressing has not been one of them. I am very happy to say I am one of the lucky ones.

1 Reply
(@barbiegoldwin)

@krisburton 

what a great and encouraging comment

Lady
(@chanel)
Reputable Member     New Jersey, United States of America

You certainly woke up early today Kris!

Page 1 / 2
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?