Notifications
Clear all
Poll results: How much do you pay for wigs?
Voter(s): 107
Poll is closed Mar 25, 2024
Cheap and cheerful, less than $20  -  votes: 10 / 9.3%
9.3%
Moderate, I'm not cheapskate $21 -- $250  -  votes: 79 / 73.8%
73.8%
Pushing the budget, $251 to $1000  -  votes: 17 / 15.9%
15.9%
The human hair touch $1001 and upwards, the sky is the limit for MY hair!  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
My own hair is perfectly adequate  -  votes: 9 / 8.4%
8.4%
Hair! What hair? I'm bald as a coot and proud of it.  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

How much do you pay for wigs?

59 Posts
36 Users
120 Thanks
14.1 K Views
Lady
Topic starter
(@rebeccabaxter)
Prominent Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

The wig that can be seen in my profile photos, and my avatar, is one from Temu in China and cost about five quid ($4.50) and does the job very well. I like the style, I like a fringe (bangs), and the colour, but the quality is not there somehow. The hair gets tangled and is difficult to separate out, any comb I use gets caught on the weft and close inspection shows that the quantity of hair is not great, but for that low price it is pretty good.

Now I am thinking of paying rather more for one that has more hair, [much] better quality hair and a better weft  ... but if I buy the one I'm interested in, which is from the Juneberry Natural Collection at Simply Wigs, I'm looking at £345 ($440).

Anyway, how much do you pay for wigs (Sterling or dollars, there's not much difference these days)? Are they cheap and functional or do you pay more? Anyone pay the premium for human hair wigs?

58 Replies
8 Replies
Lady
(@sashabennett)

Reputable Member     Wick, Caithness, United Kingdom

@rebeccabaxter Might I recommend Annabelles Wigs in Brighton. They have a very good website with lots of styles & a range of prices. I have quite a few of theirs & am very happy with the quality.

Sasha

(@rebeccabaxter)

@sashabennett I'll have a look now Thumbs Up

Lady
(@melissame)

Active Member     Staffordshire, United Kingdom

@sashabennett Hi Sasha,  do you have a link to the website?

Thank you xx

Lady
(@sashabennett)

Reputable Member     Wick, Caithness, United Kingdom

@melissame Hi Melissa, I have tried posting links here before & they don't seem to be allowed, however try searching for annabelleswigs.co.uk & you should get there

Lady
(@melissame)

Active Member     Staffordshire, United Kingdom

@sashabennett Thank you Sasha.  They are really good prices and have a fantastic selection.

Blow Kiss Left Heart  

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

Famed Member     North County San Diego, California, United States of America

@rebeccabaxter 

I'm lucky to have lots of hair.  It's plenty long enough to style any way I want.  Before I let my hair grow out, I wore several wigs that cost $150 - 300.  My fave was a long, rooted and highlighted Noriko that cost about $250.  I wore it so much I had to replace it with another one.

/EA

(@charlenecd62)

Eminent Member     North Carolina, United States of America

@rebeccabaxter in my younger day I went with my natural hair. I could keep it longer, shoulder length, and not get many stares. With a little work I could style it up enough to give it a more feminine look. As I’ve gotten older, and thinner hair, I’ve moved to wigs. I go with moderate priced ones in the $50-100 dollar (US) range. 
The nice thing I can change up styles, color, length as the mood strikes.

xoxo

Charlene

Lady
(@sarahgirl409)

Trusted Member     Auckland, New Zealand

@rebeccabaxter I buy from TEMU as well I have two from them and   will buy a few more all for only   NZ 12 AVERAGE EACH yes cheap but cheerful!

Ambassador
(@melodeescarlet)
Noble Member     Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America

By your scale - Moderate, but mine are under $25 delivered, so really the absolute bottom of that level. I'd really love a nice one (~$400-$500), but I'm not unhappy with the way the inexpensive ones look on me. 🙂

1 Reply
(@rebeccabaxter)

@melodeescarlet 

I'd love your length hair to look as good on me as it does on you bit I am too old to get away with long hair 🙁

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)
Trusted Member     Connecticut, United States of America

Basic elements for any wig for me:  Heat friendly synthetic and temple to temple lace front.  Plenty of choices with that criteria, and the temple to temple lace and curling capacity provides lots of styling opportunities.  $150 - $300 will most always get that job done.  (Last count I had 12 😮). 

4 Replies
Baroness Annual
(@conniech)

Reputable Member     Fairfax , Virginia, United States of America

@chrissydee T w e l v e ? !!!!!! !!!!!! That's dedication for your presentations!

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

@conniech 

Guilty as charged.  Bought wig 1 three years ago - and now I am a wigs.com frequent flyer 😀 

Duchess
(@jessij)

Eminent Member     New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America

@chrissydee I currently have 9. Most on the cheap side but once I bought a quality wig in the 200 range I won't buy another cheap one. I might be over 12 in a week. I just found a local wig store with a large selection. I'll be visiting Tuesday. I love versatility in my hair styles and colors.

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

@jessij Sounds like fun Jessi - a gal after my own heart. Happy shopping!

Baroness Annual
(@d44)
Noble Member     New York, United States of America

My Gabor wigs are priced at $280 US but I get them on sale for around $200.

2 Replies
Duchess
(@jackienerfed)

Trusted Member     Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America

@d44 the hair in your avatar certainly looks great

Baroness Annual
(@d44)

Noble Member     New York, United States of America

@jackienerfed Thanks Jackie. I have 4 Gabor wigs in this style in various shades of blond. This is the most blond of the 4.

Lady
(@wendyswift)
Noble Member     Alberta, Canada

My first few set of wigs were on the cheaper end, think halloween wigs.  They looked cheap and shed worse than a hairy dog.

I finally upped the ante to around $80, that wasn't too bad, then upped the budget higher to around $250 - 300.   I don't go for human hair as that is way out of my budget.

The ones I've been buying for around 250 - 300 look realistic and don't shed easy.

Duchess
(@sheryl321)
Reputable Member     Omaha, Nebraska, United States of America

I am a firm believer in “you get what you pay for.” Now having said that, I’m sure that the $250 wigs are awesome and feel great and look so much better than what I have, but the ones I get on Amazon seem to be good, better than just OK. I’ve spent up To $50 on there but also bought one that was less than $25 and it’s still holding up very nice!

1 Reply
Duchess Annual
(@firefly)

Noble Member     Panama, Panama, Panama

@sheryl321 I am also in this range, between $25 and $50. I was tempted to buy one for about $100 a few months ago, but I settled for two cheaper ones and saved quite a bit. 

Gisela

Lady
(@sugden)
Estimable Member     South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Got my last wig from a  online shop in West Yorkshire , think it was £29.00

Lady
Topic starter
(@rebeccabaxter)

I do have a good quality wig but I tried to change the style and completely buggered up the fringe, making it unwearable (in public). However, regardless of my inept attempts at wig-styling, the quality of the hair is magnitudes better then the cheapo wig I'm using at the moment, it feels so real and that's why I want to buy a [much] more expensive one.

Leah
Baroness
(@leah63)
Prominent Member     Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America

Thew last 3 wigs I bought from Paula Young online,  great experience an lots of styles, colors and options  they were on sale for $70/ea.  Great quality and fit Highly recommend

Lady
(@lillie)
Estimable Member     South Carolina, United States of America

Rebecca, I agree with Leah. Paula Young is my go-to. They have many options.  They do have some great sales. Currently, I have 5 wigs from them, and they all are heat syllable.

They also have some human hair wigs in the price range you are looking at and some have free shipping.

Good luck in your wig hunting.

Look forward on seeing what you find.

Lynne

8 Replies
(@rebeccabaxter)

@lillie Won't be free shipping to the UK, if they even ship at all, so that's not an option. Thanks anyway.

Lady
(@lillie)

Lady
(@lillie)

I pay around 65.00 t0 80.00. They have sales where buy one, get the other for a 1/3 off. Go and get on there email list. They have something going on all the time.

Duchess
(@theapat)

Trusted Member     Massachusetts, United States of America

@lillie Hey Lynne,

I'm a Massachusetts girl and Paula Young is relatively close by (not that I've ever physically  shopped at the store.  They have been my GO-TO wig store. I have been buying from them for nearly 5 years. At this moment I have 11 wigs,  9 of which I have purchased through Paula Young. Yes, they do have selections over $200, but my budget allows for a 'decent' $50-$70 wig. The  LIST PRICE was between $100-$150...Sales are frequent.

I enjoy the variety of looks and I have "my favorite girls". I was at an event where it was so windy in the parking lot, it caused me to rethink about wearing my 'below the shoulder mahogany' versus changing to a 'shorter top of the neck length auburn'. I made  the change in the car. Thank heavens.

What is also a nice bonus is their variety of accessories, shampoos, conditioners, grips, caps, ya da ya da.

Darn, all this talk about wigs, I feel as though I want to acquire another NEW ONE NOW!

Sincerely and With Love,

Thea

Lady
(@lillie)

@theapat I have searching their site also.

Duchess
(@theapat)

@lillie 

Lynne,

I'm following in love with "THE NEW GIRL IN TOWN"....aka the 'Caitlyn WhisperLite'. Lynne, from a quality standpoint, how would you rate it? Note the price range...$60-$67, depending on the color with a suggested retail at $144...

Since wigs seem to be the hot topic for today, and you are a PY client,  I'd value your opinion.

Sincerely,

Thea

Lady
(@lillie)

@theapat 

Thea, very nice style, looks like a lot of hair. It has good length and extended nape. You may need to have it styled, if you get it, but hope not.

Remember you can return, if you do not cut the tags off.

Would love to see it on you, if you purchase.

Lynne

Duchess
(@theapat)

@lillie Lynne, Funny how you said, "if you do not cut the tags off.". I'll wear it, take photos with it on from all angles, and then hem and haw about whether to keep or return it ALL WITH THE TAGS ON.

I bought my first Paula Young wig nearly 5 years ago. Her name was Becky. She's still on sale but close to $100.00. I think Caitlyn is a near look-a-like....I'll send you a photo of me and Becky if I can. I've never sent a photo directly to another member. I can always post one in the ALL PHOTOS category and let you know.

Lynne, thus far, I've never had a wig styled. Have you?  I simply do as the 'in box instructions' say, "First, give me a shake, then wear". Did you bring any of yours to a stylist/hairdresser or did you do it yourself?

Thea

Hostess
(@ab123)
Famed Member     Surrey, United Kingdom

Hi Rebecca,

As many have eluded, you get what you pay for but even at the cheap end there can be bargains but are few and far between

After buying cheap wigs to find a style that suited me I began to pay out a little more and then found that a good wig is worth the price. I pay around £250 and a little bit more.

I can't see any breach in rules as you are giving personal experience and advice, not a blatant promotion for your gain. It is helpful to others.

So without guilt I have used the retailer, Simply wigs for many years now after trying others. They tend to be cheaper than other suppliers and if you sign up there are deals to be had which reduce the price further. You may have to wait a while for a wig but there shouldn't be any hurry as they probably wait for a bulk to then order but they keep you informed. I have never been disappointed.

The one thing I always look for is a full lace front wig which really does blend the fringe hairs. If you are paying this sort of price the quality is usually good.

Another thing I could recommend is to find a hairdresser that cuts wigs. I was introduced to one years ago and now into my third as the others moved on.  The good thing is they can cut a new wig in to suit you and also for little sympathetic trims of the fraying to keep them looking good as wigs tend to settle and fibres a little uneven. It was one of the best things I have done.

Wig care is also important so use the recommended shampoo and conditioner and follow the simple washing actions. Most fibre is heat resistant so can be blow dried and the difference is obvious when done.

I wear wigs daily, all day and paying the price means my wig will last at least six months with maintenance. It may seem expensive but consider how much women pay over the year to keep  the hair good looking, it's a bargain.

1 Reply
(@rebeccabaxter)

@ab123 

I wouldn't wear a wig every day so it would last a lot longer. I really don't need lace front wigs, I have no hairline to match as I shave my head as a matter of course, have done for years so my hairline can be wherever I decide. I think I will try the wig I mentioned, I can always return it if I'm careful.

Lady
(@laurensp)
Trusted Member     Delaware, United States of America

I'm moving up the price scale with styles I like.  If I'm not sure I'll get something cheap to see if it works. Did that with a lace front wig awhile ago.  Didn't work. Maybe try again. If it does work I'll splurge on a better one. 

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)
Noble Member     Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

I'm only at starter-level hair, £20-£25 from Amazon, so right at the bottom end of 'moderate'.  I'm very happy with Fiona's current blond wavy wig, but that might be because I don't know any better! It's seen a fair amount of use now, including three trips outside, but while it doesn't seem to be shedding much when brushing, it is getting a little less bouncy at the front and it's probably about time it had a wash.  I'll most likely order its replacement soon, so as to be on hand in case the washing doesn't go well.  I'm going to stick with blond of about that length, but maybe a little darker.  If/when I can improve my makeup skills beyond the most basic then I might consider going more upmarket with the hair too.

Duchess
(@reallylauren)
Noble Member     Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Hi girls,

I am very jealous of the girls who have their own hair! I come from a long line of males who were all bald as a cue ball, so my hairline started receding when I was only 25.  Consequently, I've been a wig wearer for a long time. In my younger days when still living with parents, I borrowed my mom's wigs.

I am a trans woman, and wear a wig every day, the only time without is when I am sleeping or in the shower. I've had so many over the years, wigs from Estetica, Mane Attraction, Revlon, Gabor, starting long ago with Halloween wigs and now having 10 wigs altogether. I'm now taking the advice of my hair girl, who also sells and styles wigs.

She knows how to work magic, she was a beautician for 30 years and knows what will look best. The style she has recommended for my face shape and fair coloring is what you see in my latest public photos. That is a Raquel Welch wig called 'Classic Cut', a Bob style and the color is 'shaded hazelnut' I have 4 of them and wear one every day, with proper care, washing and conditioning, they should last a couple years. I get a deal through my hairdresser and my price per each wig was around $275. The reason for getting 4 at the same time has to do with obtaining a proper color match.

I am another girl who firmly believes that you do get what you pay for. My current wigs look like the real thing, and the ladies I work with all think it's my own hair, and I will let them do so. 🙂

Hugs girls,

Ms. Lauren M

Duchess Annual
(@catgurl)
Noble Member     Marietta, Georgia, United States of America

For a very large city, it is disappointing that we have so few wig shops.  Nevertheless, I have visited a few and found the experience somewhat less than exciting to acceptable, depending on what your requirements are and in particular what your price range is.

OTOH, I have spent $200 to $280 with a small family-owned business I found on line out in Texas a few years ago and have been very satisfied with the personalized service I receive from them.  In particular, I require a large-cap wig, and they have been very helpful in locating what I am looking for. 

Page 1 / 3
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?