Panties vs Underwear

126 Posts
62 Users
658 Thanks
Duchess
Topic starter
(@chellycd)
Estimable Member     Florida, United States of America

I was discussing the difference between panties and underwear with my wife. I was trying to explain to her that there is a significant difference between the two. Men wear underwear, and women wear panties. She says they are the same thing. I tried to explain to her that panties are special in their own way. Women's panties, for me, are soft and sexy. Whereas Underwear are very basic and, in my opinion, not sexy. I went on to tell her she doesn't appreciate panties the way I do because she has been able to wear them her whole life. It has been a lifelong journey transitioning to wearing only women's panties every day and women's clothes when I can. As a cross-dresser, I believe we truly appreciate everything that women are able to wear, and for me, especially a sexy pair of panties. Theoretically, they may be the same, but in my Cross Dresser mind, they are far different, and I appreciate a pair of panties more so than I ever would men's underwear. Would you agree?

125 Replies
49 Replies
Duchess
(@jwhite)

Reputable Member     Fort Collins, Colorado, United States of America

@chellycd Panties feel soooo much better than undies!

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@jwhite I agree 100%

(@myalterego)

Estimable Member     Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States of America

@chellycd I threw all my underwear out, all I have now is panties.  I have everyday wear, but for those special nights or days when I want to feel sexy and more daring silk and satin when wearing a dress, or skirt.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@myalterego Me too. I don't own any men's underwear.

Lady
(@harriette)

Famed Member     Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by: @chellycd

Men wear underwear, and women wear panties. She says they are the same thing.

Would you agree?

No. Panties are underwear, by definition.

In language, panties are usually used by females. I've not really heard of male panties. Some may be shaped similarly (thongs, high hip, boxer, etc), but there are specialized male briefs which would make no sense for a female to wear, as well.

It's all underwear because they are designed to be worn under something.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@harriette

As mentioned in my post

"Theoretically, they may be the same, but in my Cross Dresser mind, they are far different, and I appreciate a pair of panties more so than I ever would men's underwear."

I am well aware there is a fundamental difference. I think you missed my point, which is ok we all have our understanding of what we read and how we process it. 

Lady
(@harriette)

@chellycd I answered the question that you asked. If you think men's underwear is uncomfortable (see below), then you probably haven't worn a too small women's thong. There are quite a few comfortable men's underwear. I still have some. I still experiment finding comfortable women's underwear, though. Some of those experiments fail, too.

(@dovemtn2016)

Estimable Member     Tucson, Arizona, United States of America

@chellycd 

You nailed it Chelly!

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@dovemtn2016 Thank you!! I tried lol

Lady
(@jillannquinn)

Prominent Member     Reno, Nevada, United States of America

@chellycd while I understand that panties are technically underwear or underpants, in my mind I separate the two because men’s underwear can be a bit uncomfortable with the constricting pocket, whereas panties (I even love saying panties!) are much more comfortable and help to make me feel calm. I must have at least 25 pairs of panties and I feel I need at least another 20!

Hugs, Jill

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@jillannquinn, that's about the perfect response!! I think we all need another 20 pair of panties!! My wife might not agree tho lol

Lady
(@jillannquinn)

@chellycd I just bought two pairs of panties this past weekend! Two done, 18 to go!

Baroness
(@alexina)

Noble Member     Fife, United Kingdom

@chellycd Totally agree, Chelly, panties look and feel very different to mens briefs. I mentioned to Becca that I found mens panties on ebay and Amazon, lovely lace. Of course there are lots of silky underpants already available for men but they're not the same. 😊

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@alexina I’ve seen them and tried them. I didn’t like them at all. Men’s underwear/panties are definitely nothing like woman’s panties. There’s a special feeling that comes with wearing panties!!

Lady
(@denises924)

Reputable Member     Massachusetts, United States of America

@chellycd 

I agree 100% Chelly. If they were the same, why does it not feel special when I wear underwear? Panties look and feel so wonderful and what boys wear certainly do not. When I have underdressed with panties, I have been almost giddy all day.

Denise
❤️

Lady
(@erikaking)

Trusted Member     Tennessee, United States of America

@chellycd I totally agree, my underwear are for work, and my panties are for fun, play, and feeling sexy.

Duchess
(@jwhite)

Reputable Member     Fort Collins, Colorado, United States of America

@erikaking I’ll add, my underwire is for when I’m exercising.

Jamie

Duchess
(@pattyphose)

Noble Member     Long Island, New York, United States of America

@chellycd Panties are wonderful, sexy and fun to wear.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@pattyphose I would have to agree 100%

Duchess
(@pattyphose)

Noble Member     Long Island, New York, United States of America

@chellycd It's pretty obvious actually. Just put some panties on and you will see and feel the difference immediately.

(@cdashley)

Noble Member     Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

@chellycd I agree 100% and enjoy my panties much more.  I’m wearing them daily for almost 2 years now.

Duchess
(@river)

Honorable Member     New Hampshire, United States of America

@chellycd I have a few pairs of panties but I generally go commando 😉 .  I find afyer wearing panties for a while my testicles ache. not sure why. I did what some other suggested and flipped them around so the back is in the front and the pain went away but they dont really look as sexy that way. I probably need to shop around for different styles. Cheers RC

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@river try Vanity Fair they are the perfect panties for men.

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

Illustrious Member     Norfolk, United Kingdom

@chellycd I suspect that Vanity Fair may have started to adjust the cut of their knickers to cater for the fact that so many CDs buy them ... it makes sound commercial sense.

I own several pairs 🙂

Hugs

Ellie x

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@ellyd22 I think you maybe on to something. The fit is the best of any woman's panties I've tried. Now there are plenty of other that are well fitting and sexier but the Vanity Fair fit is superior to all others.

Duchess
(@missylinda)

Noble Member     Ft Worth, Texas, United States of America

@ellyd22  you may be on to something about adjusting the gusset cut.  I own several brands of lady’s underpants.  But over half are Vanity Fair, mainly the “ nouveau”  side lace panel.  Recently my wife purchased some off the Vanity  “ illumination” style. Looked good so I bought some.  They do indeed seem to hold the “ valuables” in place better, and they  have larger, round, elastic band at the openings.  More comfortable, less binding.  I also own several pair what I believe is called, French knickers, ( no elastic on the leg openings). Same feeling as wearing loose boxers, no support, but they are beautiful.  Great subject🤩

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@missylinda Illuminations are the perfect panty for men.

Baroness
(@alexina)

@chellycd Hi, Chelly, I do agree with a minor caveat; I have, over the years, sought "men's briefs" made from different materials. I've bought a few pairs of silky/satin types that were ok but not panties. More recently I got some microfibre or micro modal type, they are softer and thinner than the cotton ones. I even found lace panties for men (with room), and they are my current go to's. xx

Baroness
(@alexina)

I just realised that I posted this or something very like it already.....oh dear 🙄

Lady
(@dazzler)

Noble Member     Cardiff, South Glamorgan, United Kingdom

I haven't owned any male underwear for 10 years or more. I have a lot of pairs of knickers, as we often call them in the UK. I guess that panties is often a word used for sexier underwear. Smaller, maybe silk or satin. Maybe lacy.... "Normal" underwear is bigger, and a bit more practical. It's not necessarily sexy in any way, but can be equally enjoyable to wear. 
Being British, and having the typical British reserve, I'll stick with Knickers. Smile Smile Smile  

Ambassador
(@lucyb112)

Noble Member     Staffordshire, United Kingdom

@dazzler 

I’m with you on this one Cerys. I can’t bring myself to call them panties.

They’re knickers to me, in fact, I quite like the word knickers for some reason 🙂

By boy pants are just that, pants…

(@dovemtn2016)

@chellycd 

Panties are just plain special.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@dovemtn2016 I would have to agree

Lady
(@lisa55)

Honorable Member     Gloucester, Virginia, United States of America

@chellycd

In oh so many ways do I agree with you. In style, in textures, in colors and in fit. So many differences between underwear and panties. Even before I revealed myself as Lisa to my wife I was in panties for several years, with her knowledge. Way more comfortable to wear then mens.
First of all boxers, baggy, loose, I never liked them at all. Your bits just hang and dangle there, no support. Then cotton, heavy, sweaty and you can feel it on you all the time. I guess you might say it makes itself known. Style wise, no style and leave it at that. Briefs, boxers and now biker shorts. Where they take the pant leg down to your thighs. Colors of black or white. I did own some Haynes Briefs in colors, solid colors. They added a muted blue and muted red to the mix! How daring of them.
One thing all men’s underwear I have own have in command is how loose they keep your package. I don’t know about the rest of you but I like to keep things secure below, not floating back and forth. I like woman’s panties in a brief style. They hold me better and the right style will also keep things from slipping out the sides. Style wise, so many different ones to choose from. We all have at least two favs! Colors and patterns to choose from. Which is great, helps to set your mood for the day! Many of us I’m sure pick our panties colors depending on many factors. Mine are mostly the color of my clothing for the day. I usually pick out my outfit first then my lingerie to match. If I can I wear a bra that matches my panties. I don’t think men worry if the t-shirt matches the boxers they have on. I like microfiber as my material of choose. My wife bought me cotton panties once, she now has 4 new pairs. Again different materials than most mens. Even mens microfiber is thicker and heavier.
In conclusion (and to stop my rambling), underwear for men is a necessity. One puts them on after a morning shower and that’s the last of any thought of it. Panties can be observed as fashion and an accessory, even though it might not be seen by others. It helps to set the mood for the day. I have found many styles and colors of panties I enjoy wearing, as I’m sure you all have as well. 

(@lauren114)

Prominent Member     Connecticut, United States of America

@chellycd I love soft and lacy panties.  For me I wear panties because they are part of my feminine expression.   Just wearing a nice pair of panties makes me feel feminine and sexy even though I am the only one who knows I have them on most times.   Underwear are what men wear and are so utilitarian....bleh.....

(@Anonymous 94392)

Trusted Member

@chellycd I don't understand why with mens underwear being designed by experts - for men - they don't fit or "contain" as well as women's panties.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@gina2923 maybe the need a cross dresser to show them how it’s done. 😘

Lady
(@kathleen4261)

Eminent Member     Greenville, South Carolina, United States of America

@chellycd I am always wearing Panties, Bras and Half Slips I tossed all my men's underwear years ago. I don't wear cotton panties but rather silky women's panties all the time. Kathleen

(@Anonymous 94392)

Trusted Member

@chellycd I'm well-stocked with everything comfy.  Full panties and some lacy boy-short style.  But mostly have been buying Vanity Fair, Bali, and Jockey panties.  This week I treated myself to beautiful panties from Fantasie and Panache.  I like anything silky with plenty of lace trim, and from now on my goal is only buy panties that are in the $40+ range or if they're on sale, the original price was $40 or more - a price range that will stop you from purging it.  I've also begun to buy from Elomi, since they offer full panties with lots of bright, feminine floral patterns, and also I have two pair of butt-lifter in satiny tan that stay in place but also will slide up and down my tush as I walk.  Which is especially fun when I'm in the grocery store.

Duchess
(@loneleycd)

Noble Member     Roland, Iowa, United States of America

@chellycd

I would say yes all panties are technically underwear but panties are a special feminine breed.  One thing that is hard for most of us here is many women are wearing plain cotton panties such that if you put a fly in them they would be IDENTICAL to men's. 

For me, I love wearing nylon or other soft silky fabrics and a variety of colors and maybe a little lace. 

(@sharkinlace)

Estimable Member     Saint Louis , Missouri, United States of America

@chellycd to me the fact that there are different styles and fabrics and cuts for different occasions is perhaps the best example of how panties differ from underwear. Variety is the spice of life. And there ain’t no variety in plain old underwear.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

Lady
(@chuck)

Trusted Member     West Texas area, Texas, United States of America

@chellycd you're both right technically.  But, I agree with you.  Panties are exclusively for women as underwear.   They are women's underwear.  If they were the same, which they are not, the lingerie departments wouldn't exist.   The countless brands, colors, styles, appointments,  decorations, fabrics, bikinis, high cuts, thongs, no panty line styles and on and on.  I wonder how much money is spent on panties and lingerie vs just regular old underwear in the men's department that consists of 3 or 4 brands and is on 3 or 4 shelves vs thousands of square feet with lingerie and many devoted or designated employs exclusively selling lingerie. 

Why are panties so sought after, aka, panty raids?   Squirrel shots?   Why do they try to hide them?  (Most do). 

No.  They are not the same.  Just saying

Lady
(@chuck)

@chellycd by the way, women also use the wors "undies"    men don't

Lady
(@jameie)

Trusted Member     Terre Haute, Indiana, United States of America

@chellycd Someday when we get used to wearing panties we'll think panties are just underwear

Duchess
(@jackienerfed)

Trusted Member     Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America

@chellycd my ex-wife used to think that calling them "panties" was diminutive, and would get mad when I called them that.  She would correct me and say they where underwear.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@jackienerfed My wife never refers to my woman's panties as panties, always underwear.

Lady
(@briannamay2024)

Eminent Member     New Jersey, United States of America

@chellycd I agree totally! Only panties for me now. I still have a couple pairs of boxers for some reason they'll find the trash bin soon.

Lady
(@krissykitty)

Eminent Member     Ohio, United States of America

@chellycd oh yes you're right!!

(@jennifergirl1)
Active Member     Michigan, United States of America

I agree with you 100%, panties are definitely different than underwear. Men’s underwear Blah. There is nothing like wearing soft satin panties.

1 Reply
(@dovemtn2016)

@jennifergirl1 

Oh yes, Jennifer

Hostess
(@ab123)
Famed Member     Surrey, United Kingdom

Panties is possibly a derivative of pants suggesting a smaller size befitting women. Both are garments under the the generic word underwear. To women panties are the same as pants as they serve a function. Of course guys have their best as do women and it is the interpretation we as crossdressers apply to panties that make them special. Panties are distinct female attire due to the cut and style which aren't designed for men. There are satin pants for men ....

Leah
Baroness
(@leah63)
Prominent Member     Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America

I agree totally, panties are more fun to see and wear.  I often think I an wearing more sexy than a lot of ladies I see out in public..lol

2 Replies
Duchess
(@chellycd)

@leah63 I always think this as well. Wearing a sexy pair of panties and showing off a panty line is a wonderful feeling.

(@dovemtn2016)

@chellycd 

Yes,yes, yes>

(@rebeccabaxter)
Prominent Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

I'm afraid I wear 'underwear' as in men's underpants. I have thought about wearing panties but not to put too fine a point on it, where do you put your junk? It must fall out all over the place!

11 Replies
(@dovemtn2016)

@rebeccabaxter 

Ah Rebecca, you can buy panties on Amazon that will be "perfectly" supportive.

Baroness
(@chrisfp99)

Noble Member     London , Kent, United Kingdom

Interesting Becca. I tend to wear men's underpants, just to keep everything tidy, then panties, then tights or a belt and stockings xx.

Duchess
(@chellycd)

We all have what we like and what works for us. Hopefully, you will one day find a brand that fits you. 

Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @rebeccabaxter

I have thought about wearing panties but not to put too fine a point on it, where do you put your junk? It must fall out all over the place!

That's a very good question, Rebecca, and there definitely is an answer.

Since I started dressing, I have bought a variety of panties, thongs, padded underwear, etc., to find out what works and what doesn't.

Many thongs don't work because the gusset is too narrow or tapers to zero, so your barrel is going over Niagara Falls for sure. The gusset has to be a minimum of 3” wide (for me) to keep everything snug and safe. It isn't too hard to find panties like this, but if you order blind or on-line, expect to find some misfits.

Gaffs work, of course, because they are purpose-built to do the job right. Some of them can resemble thongs or high-cuts, too. I can tuck with just about anything that has enough support, though, and I am still working on my own gaff design.

A few days ago, I received a bunch of different panties, etc. I haven't tested all of them yet, but I did try them all on. These were ordered because they have more than just a gusset. One is a rectangular thing that probably could be called boy-shorts. Another pair, more or less, has very short "legs" dropping down from the groin area. Both of these offer very good support and containment, so far. I am quite happy with them.

So, don't be afraid of experimenting with wearing panties. They can work, if you get the right ones.

Lady
(@jillannquinn)

@rebeccabaxter I think if you find a pair that fits you well, you’ll see that they’re surprisingly supportive and comfortable. My personal favorite brand is Vanity Fair.

Hugs, Jill

Baroness
(@alexina)

@rebeccabaxter Hi, Becca, I giggled (oops, should be googled but I'll leave it cos it works 😊) "mens panties" now I have a collection of black pink and red lacy panties with "room" xx

Baroness Annual
(@lyndajones)

Reputable Member     Kingsport, Tennessee, United States of America

@rebeccabaxter I love Jockey® Matte & Shine Seamfree® Bikini, and Jockey® Seamfree® Chill Bikini, for everyday wear. They keep everything in place, and in black look like mens bikini's.

Lady
(@lisa55)

Honorable Member     Gloucester, Virginia, United States of America

@rebeccabaxter  wear them 24/7 and find the Warner briefs very supportive and holds my parts in the panty proper. You are right about some other styles that don’t work for us. Side slippage and just can’t hold you or support you. Some CDs enjoy them though, I don’t judge, but found briefs in microfiber to be very comfortable as I live in them daily.

(@Anonymous 94392)

Trusted Member

@rebeccabaxter some styles and cuts yes that's spot on , others no they're incredibly comfortable . 

You can often spot the less open CD buying their own as opposed to "a present for the wife" as they're busy checking gusset widths on the displays 😎👍

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@kayt This is so true. I know I've been noticed checking gussets. Years ago, a sales lady at Macy's came up and asked me if I needed help. When I told her I was okay, she said okay, but these will work better for you. She introduced me to Maiden Form panties and they have become one of my favorite brands and Style.

Lady
(@chuck)

Duchess Annual
(@deedee9633)
Eminent Member     San Diego, California, United States of America

I just love the variety for women's panties. There is always something sexy and new to try. Men's underwear are all the same and boring. 

1 Reply
Baroness
(@alexina)

@deedee9633 Hi, Diana, the same can be said for most men's clothes, shoes etc. You get the same 3 or 4 basic styles in every shop but go into the ladies department and suddenly it's wonderland 😀.

Lady
(@sarahl)
Trusted Member     Kalamazoo , Michigan, United States of America

Panties are underwear, they are made to fit wemen, not to accommodate  a man's  wiggly bits. I have a lot of thongs. Most of them I fall out one side or the other. Some of them hold everything just fine. Most other styles of panties hold me just fine. Boy shorts are like boxer briefs. I have 1 pair of "underwear " that I kept. Only because they are silk but I have yet to wear them again after starting to dress. Silk boxers. I don't like how they fit, like a potato sack just hanging there.

(@alyssagirl)
Estimable Member     Augusta, Maine, United States of America

I have been wearing panties for so long I don't think about it at all. I don't think there are any men's briefs in my house lol 

1 Reply
Duchess
(@chellycd)

@alyssagirl I don't own any, either.

Hostess
(@cdsue)
Noble Member     Delaware, United States of America

Chelly -

Thank you for this topic. It has elicited many interesting responses.

I wear panties on a daily basis when at home and have on occasion underdressed outside the house. When I do there is no VPL so with the exception of medical personnel should I need to go to the Emergency Room no one would know. 

As to the question panties vs. underwear, I find panties to be much more comfortable than underwear. Obviously there is a much wider selection of style, color/patterns and materials in panties than in male underwear. I also find that panties are a lighter material than underwear which makes them more comfortable and cooler to wear. Another thing for me, I need to wear pads due to leakage issues (sorry if TMI) but I find that panties hole them better than underwear do, after all I'm sure that is taken into consideration in the design (just an FYI - wearing a pad helps to give a smooth front). 

I hope to one day be able to get rid of my underwear and only wear panties only time will tell, have to keep the wife happy.

XOXO
Suzanne

Lady
(@bluefin)
Reputable Member     Brodhead, Wisconsin, United States of America

The only time I wear those ugly drab underwear is going to the DR but as soon as I get home their off and I'm back to my favorites. Any other time it is definitely panties. I have so many pairs one of my favorites is Hanes microfiber hipsters, they are so comfortable and hold everything in great. I have found others that fit good too but there are to many to list!!  LOL   But it been a trial and error at times to find what fits and wears best. Years ago I found some drab nylon underwear but they didn't fit like panty's so they didn't last long and I threw them out.  I do mainly wear hipsters and bikini mostly some briefs when I'm in leggings or pantyhose and I do like to know I'm showing panty lines..  HE HE

3 Replies
Duchess
(@chellycd)

@bluefin I don't even wear them for a Dr. appointment. I am so far past worrying what any one thinks about me wearing panties. I have never had a Dr or Nurse mention or say any thing about me wearing panties.

Lady
(@chuck)

@bluefin I wear to the doctor's office but that's just me.  Panties are all I have as "underwear "

Duchess
(@chellycd)

@chuck I wear my panties to the Dr. as well. I've never had them mention or bring it up.

(@debbiedd)
Noble Member     los angeles, California, United States of America

all my underwear is made for women and long ago discarded my male ones. I love the fabrics and design so now they are natural to me. Also love the feeling of lace and frills when worn in drab

1 Reply
Duchess
(@chellycd)

@debbiedd Me too. Women's panties are just nicer and, for me, more comfortable.

(@Anonymous 94392)
Trusted Member

I have a drawer full, at last count 29 pair.  And that's really packing them all in to one drawer.  But when a well-made pair of flashy floral panties is on sale, I buy them.  My collection is mostly VF brand in everything but beige.  Then also some very glossy shapers which throughout the day, draw everything up and in to create a smooth front.  I wear panties 24/7.  Even when visiting kids over the holiday season.  For me, I love to open the panty drawer and see the tremendous variety of colors and patterns.

1 Reply
Duchess
(@chellycd)

I remember when I use to keep count of my panties. Now I have so many I don't want to count them lol

J J
Lady
(@jjandme)
Noble Member     California, United States of America

Panties are just a type of underwear, and underwear is just a bland term for lingerie which just means undergarments (any even more bland term). Panties and lingerie have come to be associated with women probably because there is so much more choice and can be used as a form of expression. Men typically just do not put any effort into their lingerie. A T-shirt and some cotton briefs are about it. There are some nice silk boxers out there, or some good boxer briefs, but typically they are just boring, while panties can be so much more. Needless to say, I prefer panties and have been exclusively a panty man for years.

Lady
(@carla66)
Estimable Member     Barcelona , Barcelona, Spain

I am fascinated by the diversity of shapes and colors of women's clothing. I have worn men's underwear similar to panties, and it is not the same either. I feel better in women's panties. They call these underwear sexy, but I don't like them, especially the ones with a genital pouch.

kisses from Carla

Duchess
(@elizabethstone)
Estimable Member     Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States of America

Definitely panties! Such a wonderful feeling of peace and calm when fully dressed under. Today I am attending a semi formal luncheon with matching powder blue panties, camisole, garters and stockings. I’m happy the navy blue suit slacks have a nice liner in them!

2 Replies
 J J
Lady
(@jjandme)

Noble Member     California, United States of America

@elizabethstone wearing nice lingerie under a suit is one of my favorites. I do not wear a suit often, but when I do it is for a special occasion, or for something nice like opening night at the symphony. Such occasions usually end well in the bedroom afterwards which I tell my wife just reinforces my desire to wear sexy bras, panties and stockings. She wears sexy lingerie to such events as well.

Duchess
(@elizabethstone)

Estimable Member     Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States of America

@jjandme Thank you so much for your note! It’s nice to feel comfortable and sexy under. I hope to learn more of you!

Page 1 / 3
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?