- February 28, 2021 at 7:31 am #455369Grace ScarlettParticipantRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
Okay you shopaholics….
We all come on CDH, telling of our shopping bargains and deals….
but what is your WORST en femme buy?!!…be it something shop bought that you got home and thought….oh my goodness. Or something bought online that just wasn’t what you thought….
It can be anything….shoes, clothes, makeup….as long as it was for the ” girl ” in your life….
Mine??….last summer i bought an ” ali baba” baby pink jumpsuit off Amazon….( look it up)…i thought it would be baggy and loose for around the flat in the summer….jeez…loose!!!.
Remember when you buy a new mattress???…well it was like wearing the bloody bag the mattress comes in….in baby pink!!!….what on earth possessed me?????
So come on you beauties…own up, and tell us all your worst buy….be honest now!!!!
Total of 21 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- March 3, 2021 at 10:47 pm #457309Paula FDuchessRegistered On: August 7, 2019Topics: 13Replies: 1029Has thanked: 13062 timesBeen thanked: 4059 times
I have made many bad choices over time, usually just in size though, as this was before the internet and before I had enough courage to use the changing rooms.
I had found a nice mini skirt (not a micro, but pretty short still), and nice button down, sleeveless blouse. Labor Day was coming up that weekend, I figured I would wear that to the club. It fit pretty good when I tried it on once I got home, nothing a couple of safety pins wouldn’t fix. In my minds eye, I was lookin’ PDG in the mirror, too.
When I got to the club that weekend and made my grand entrance, I got a lot of looks from a lot of people, and it made me feel good about how I looked. That feeling only lasted moments before a g came up and offered me her shrug jacket. I started to ask what was up and she shushed me, telling me “Honey, you look like a hooker that is trying not too, but still standing too close to her corner.”.
We went to the girls room to fix a couple of things, and when I saw my reflection, I had tried on the blouse without my bra on and you could now see all the detail of it’s lace through the blouse because of the lighting in the club.
A nice camo would have made it okay, but I did end up changing the bulds in the lamp by my dressing mirror. I still kept the blouse, but made sure I had that cami on under it when out in public.
- March 4, 2021 at 12:01 am #457332Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
Oh Paula….disaster, but probably makes you smile when you look back now…i have heard other stories before of the odd effects of club lights on clothes…..smiles xx
- March 3, 2021 at 5:47 pm #457215Rei DurdenBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: October 11, 2020Topics: 21Replies: 802Has thanked: 4985 timesBeen thanked: 3321 times
- March 3, 2021 at 11:55 pm #457330
- March 3, 2021 at 11:40 am #457055Stevie SteinerAmbassadorRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 47Replies: 1100Has thanked: 5187 timesBeen thanked: 5671 times
I have this pink, black, and white striped skirt…. I swear I thought it was longer when I saw it in the store and purchased it. Let’s just say you will not have to ask me what colour my knickers are!! OMG, even a extroverted, sexually outgoing, just got my own flat and love to party, college cheerleader type wouldn’t wear this! And yet, I can’t throw it out. 😊
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Stevie Steiner.
- March 3, 2021 at 11:08 am #457044Stevie65LadyRegistered On: September 6, 2019Topics: 21Replies: 185Has thanked: 366 timesBeen thanked: 713 times
I bought off line once…. never again. I was moved out on my own and I had room to add to my collection as well expand it in the closet. I ordered a top and a corset on line following their measurement that had been converted to Canadian measurements. I think these came from the african pygmy jungle as they were not even close. They got donated to Salvation army. Since then it has been in person in drab shopping.
- March 4, 2021 at 12:09 am #457336Diana MorganLadyRegistered On: February 22, 2021Topics: 7Replies: 573Has thanked: 4198 timesBeen thanked: 1762 times
Th Chinese certainly have an interesting concept of what constitutes a plus size, they must have a market for the small sizes though, perhaps the African Pygmies have discovered Wish and Light in the Box etc….
- March 3, 2021 at 11:14 am #457045Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
On line can be a bit of a minefield…until you find some decent clothes and stick to that company……
another enduring image…pygmies in corsets…wow.
- March 1, 2021 at 2:44 pm #456061Trisha Lilly HibbertBaronessRegistered On: December 8, 2020Topics: 32Replies: 614Has thanked: 3041 timesBeen thanked: 2267 times
Hi Gracie, when I first started dressing I was convinced I was a UK 12 on top. I’m not bought so many tops thatvete far too small. One top that wasn’t too small was this gorgeous asymmetrical red one I got of eBay. Problem was it was like a size 18. I’m a 14 on top. I was so looking forward to trying wear it too.
- March 1, 2021 at 2:10 pm #456046LadyRegistered On: February 22, 2021Topics: 7Replies: 573Has thanked: 4198 timesBeen thanked: 1762 times
My errors would be too many to list but one online purchase, a sweet black bodysuit, was bought before I understood the various sizing codes – Eur, US etc. – well it was so small I almost gelded myself trying it on – a painful lesson learned. 👀
- March 1, 2021 at 2:17 pm #456047
- March 1, 2021 at 1:34 pm #456027Sarah Du HessisseLadyRegistered On: September 16, 2020Topics: 20Replies: 432Has thanked: 2242 timesBeen thanked: 1592 times
Hi Grace I said to you a few back I had ordered a Red Skirt, well it finally arrived after three weeks of waiting. I think they sent it by carrier pigeon anyway I am a regular size 16, so when as a size 16 been a 26 inch waist …Honestly it makes you wonder. I thought about sending it back if I do I’ll ask Amanda to send a carrier pigeon down, If she hasn’t made them all into pies for you.
For heavens sake
- March 1, 2021 at 1:49 pm #456035Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
- March 1, 2021 at 1:54 pm #456039Sarah Du HessisseLadyRegistered On: September 16, 2020Topics: 20Replies: 432Has thanked: 2242 timesBeen thanked: 1592 times
- March 1, 2021 at 2:10 pm #456045Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
- March 2, 2021 at 12:37 pm #456542Sarah Du HessisseLadyRegistered On: September 16, 2020Topics: 20Replies: 432Has thanked: 2242 timesBeen thanked: 1592 times
I ordered it off ebay it was described as Brand New Without Tags and supposedly Jessica Black brand, it certainly looks brand new and all tags have been removed. I agree I think it possibly came from China, however its going in wheelie bin. Annoying thing is its actually good quality fully lined, you need to be anorexic to wear it.
- March 2, 2021 at 1:46 pm #456582Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
- March 1, 2021 at 5:51 am #455807Wendy SwiftLadyRegistered On: May 11, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 413Has thanked: 330 timesBeen thanked: 1747 times
Oh my goodness, I don’t even know where to start. I’ve purchased so many things that I thought would look good but when I brought it home, it just didn’t fit right and/or looked what I thought it would look like.
– a very nice Reebok racing one piece swimsuit. I loved everything about it, colour, style, but it was a size 10. What in blue blazes was I thinking that I could ever squeeze into a size 10 swimsuit ??
– a very nice pair of dress pants with an exposed zipper. Problem ? I couldn’t tell if the zipper should be in the front or back, plus it was super baggy on me. And to top it off, I am not a pants type of girl either.
– I bought a really nice white Calvin Klein bodycon type dress. It has a silky smooth liner which I just loved. It fit my wife (just barely), so when I put it on a thin leather strap around the waist prevented the zipper from making it past that hump. I had it altered, but because of the design he could expand it any further so I only got a few mms of expansion which didn’t help at all. I had to give it up and donate it.
– numerous shapewear. Sizes were perfect but because of my silicone hip/butt pads, I only wear long leg and high waist shapers. I had shapers that were not long leg but only high waist, so it would do me no good in keeping the pads in place.
Oh there is other items I have spent good $$$ on, and now it is long gone. I have learned now that I will only buy certain styles and it has to fit before I buy. I can’t afford to buy something and then toss it out later.
- March 1, 2021 at 7:37 am #455851
- March 1, 2021 at 5:19 am #455793Katey DoeLadyRegistered On: February 3, 2021Topics: 35Replies: 637Has thanked: 1539 timesBeen thanked: 1834 times
Good Morning Grace,
I don’t have much experience with buying lady clothing, but I did once get a nightie and OMG it was so small. I had no idea how the sizes worked, I was very new at this. I didn’t even slip it on I knew just by holding it up. I still have some issues with the sizes but I’m much better now. Thank you for sharing, Have a great day!! Hugs-Katey
- March 1, 2021 at 2:02 am #455754stephanie plumbBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 146Replies: 1951Has thanked: 3114 timesBeen thanked: 8974 times
I have bought lots of things I later changed my mind about. They were not bad… it was me that changed.
I blame the “pink fog”. Pink browsing on Amazon, and the dreaded wishlist saved items! In other words pink impulse buying. These days I let them sit for a while to see if I change my mind. Risky – because sometimes it then goes out of stock ( why does this always happen to something you really like, and you kick yourself for your indecisiveness?)
But I also bought unsuitable things – usually Chinese – that were too small even when advertised as 3xl! Chinese girls it seems are on the small busted side. I KNOW it won’t fit but I pinkingly must have it …. so cute…. maybe this time I get lucky, my pink brain whispers, and has its way. Lingerie items are the worst – they are made for skinny waifs. Thank goodness for Amazons returns policy – I only buy things “supplied by Amazon.”
One bad thing. I bought a scuba flared skirt. Well the package was surprisingly bulky and heavy. Alarm bells ringing before I even opened it. It was made of wetsuit material, and about a quarter of an inch thick, and very, very heavy. It didn’t hang well – it was far too rigid. It looked and felt ghastly on. Straight back it went! Why did I buy it? I have no idea – it must have been pink madness.
Oh, one other thing. One of those bodysuits with poppers to close the gusset. With the gusset popped shut it goes on easy enough, and does the job. But if you have to go to the loo, its nigh on impossible to pop them back again without half undressing, which is something you don’t want to do outdoors! As I discovered. Not worn since.
So, girls, don’t let the pink fog induced wishful thinking control your purse!
- March 1, 2021 at 12:00 am #455728Polly StewartLadyRegistered On: January 2, 2021Topics: 9Replies: 876Has thanked: 1231 timesBeen thanked: 2902 times
Grace darling… I’m choking on a lolly I was eating!
An online buy… size 20uk plain cotton duck cloth… a sack in other words! I though it would be cool with a belt and scarves, sandals… the whole hippie PC woman thing… NOT!
I pulled it out of its wrapper, tried to pull the thing on and decided then and there it would serve better as a drop cloth! It has…
What was I thinking? I dunno… all part of the apprentice woman thing I guess…
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Polly Stewart. Reason: Auto correct
- February 28, 2021 at 7:25 pm #455675BigBangtheoryLadyRegistered On: January 14, 2020Topics: 0Replies: 174Has thanked: 52 timesBeen thanked: 714 times
I had purchased different sets of breast forms but wanted to go braless. I found a breast plate that was built like a bra and even had a Velcro connection on the band and was pretty cheap. Wellll, the band was entirely to short and barely connected and the “boobs” were not remotely realistic. The thing was also incredibly hot and made me sweat as if in a sauna! I guess that it was a cheap enough lesson on breast plates and I would never buy another regardless of quality. Stephanie
- February 28, 2021 at 11:47 pm #455725
- February 28, 2021 at 5:55 pm #455668Beth GreenLadyRegistered On: February 24, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 177Has thanked: 629 timesBeen thanked: 892 times
I once bought a Cleopatra costume. I thought it might be fun. It said large adult and I’m a medium usually so this should be good, right? WRONG. If this was a large I can’t imagine what their small is. Plus the gathers, scrunches and ties were all in the wrong (i.e. indiscrete) places. The gold lame halter was impossibly small and felt like cardboard. The skirt was ugly as sin. The costume couldn’t even be saved with imaginative repurposing. It made a trip to the garbage. Fortunately it was a clearance item so little money lost.
- February 28, 2021 at 11:53 pm #455727Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
I wont mention pain in the asp…whoops, i did!!!.
Talking of sizes……
I trawl through Amazon quite a lot…but beware anything made in china…i always check the reviews because their sizes are quite often for “china dolls”… especially if its just marked S,M, L or XL…..Small usually means ” barbie”…..and i mean the doll !!!
Sorry about your cleopatra look….
- February 28, 2021 at 5:40 pm #455664Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 19Replies: 2000Has thanked: 3881 timesBeen thanked: 7057 times
My worst “bad” purchase? I wish I could forget. Bettylou became self-aware about the same time Payless began liquidation sales. When I discovered that they had 12W and 13W ladies’ shoes, I went on a shopping spree. I found lots of flats, sneakers and wedgies, but no heels; so when a pair finally showed up, I grabbed them. They were the UGLIEST shoes I ever saw: Black patent, hi-top, and with laces…like you might see in an old 1840’s photo. I never wore them, and kept them in the back of my closet for about 2 years before donating them to Godwill. They are probably still in the store.
- February 28, 2021 at 4:53 pm #455656Ashley KonnersLadyRegistered On: August 15, 2020Topics: 14Replies: 199Has thanked: 808 timesBeen thanked: 748 times
I’ve had a few actually. I ordered a dress online and when it arrived I tried it on and I hated the fit. It was a flare type but didn’t fit me very well at all. Also a couple pairs of heels I purchased that sit in the back of my collection as one pair hurts my feet but fit when I tried them on in the store and the other just doesn’t look right IMO!!!
- February 28, 2021 at 2:22 pm #455599Clara CrossLadyRegistered On: December 7, 2020Topics: 9Replies: 225Has thanked: 649 timesBeen thanked: 1045 times
Grace, I know you’d like to hear me say those knee high nylons were the worst. But no, they’re still working out for me. Keeping ‘em above the ankles was good advice.
Actually it’s probably this cute black blouse I’ve had for quite awhile. It’s kind of a tank top with little dangly ties at the shoulders. Absolutely love it except when I put it on. Can’t bear to part with it and haven’t given up yet. Still trying to find something to go with it. Maybe I should stay away from “dangly”.
- February 28, 2021 at 12:07 pm #455543Leah SantiniLadyRegistered On: January 5, 2018Topics: 29Replies: 127Has thanked: 80 timesBeen thanked: 493 times
Okay, my shopping failure:
Saw this gorgeous evening gown on eBay for a great price, and in my size!
Bought it. Got fast delivery.
Got all ready for it (pads, forms, the whole deal) and stepped into it.
Very nice floor length. Nice lacy shoulders and arms.
And then I started to pull up the zipper…
When I got to the waist I discovered a hard plastic band around the waist area. The zipper would just not go past it! I even hooked the back top of the dress with no problems, and if I could just get the zipper all the way up it looked to be a perfect fit!
So it sits in my closet, awaiting me getting up the courage to go get it altered!
Oh well. Don’t have any place to wear it currently, so no rush.
But what a letdown!
- February 28, 2021 at 11:06 am #455495Quinetta HarrisLadyRegistered On: January 9, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 2Has thanked: 14 timesBeen thanked: 16 times
I bought a houndstooth crop top and shorts matching set thinking it was going to be cute. Wrong for two reasons, one I chose the wrong size (Plus Size Only For Me), and that type of patter is definitely not good on me. One of a few things that someone will enjoy that I donated…SMH
- February 28, 2021 at 10:59 am #455492Teri RayLadyRegistered On: September 24, 2017Topics: 0Replies: 10Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 40 times
- February 28, 2021 at 10:40 am #455472Sa•man•thaManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 465Replies: 1804Has thanked: 8096 timesBeen thanked: 7271 times
Although i love clothes shopping, there are a few questions i stop & ask myself before the purse pops open so clinkers are pretty few & far between…but, there was one particular black floral print dress i seriously came to regret buying…maybe it’s like a trophy or something?
- February 28, 2021 at 8:53 am #455411Kathleen 60454LadyRegistered On: January 8, 2020Topics: 44Replies: 412Has thanked: 2055 timesBeen thanked: 1497 times
About 10 years ago my ex wife and I went to Torrid women store to look around and buy some dresses for me. I didn’t realise that Torridppp they were CD/TG friendly so we looked around on the pretence that we are looking for dresses for my wife. Looking at dresses The sizes are shown as 1, 2, 3, 4. I knew what size dress I wore and according to the sales girl my size would have been a size 2 so I found two dresses in my size.
Now mind you at the time we didn’t know that they were TG/CD friendly so I didn’t try them on in the store. Went home took off my male clothes and attempted to put on the dresses. Well as it turned out the dresses were way too small by at least 2 – 3 sizes. They were on sale and therefore couldn’t be returned. So Goodwill got two new dresses as a donation.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Kathleen 60454.
- February 28, 2021 at 8:43 am #455407Didi PhoxLadyRegistered On: January 25, 2021Topics: 7Replies: 129Has thanked: 145 timesBeen thanked: 609 times
I wanted a nice skater skirt, you know like the young hip girls wear with over the knee socks. I went into a large department store (my logic was that it’ll be busy and no one will pay attention to me) and had a look around. Found the skirts, picked a nice black one and a yellow cami top (because obvs black and yellow go together) Very happy with a) my purchase and b) my bravery, I rushed home to try them on.
Turns out the skirt was down near my shins and a god awful fake velvet, and the top… well just no 🙈Putting it all together I looked like my nan off to the bingo. I only needed the open toe Birkenstocks to complete the look.
- February 28, 2021 at 9:25 am #455428
- February 28, 2021 at 8:21 am #455399patty williamsLadyRegistered On: January 19, 2019Topics: 70Replies: 1313Has thanked: 2170 timesBeen thanked: 4625 times
Hi Grace not sure what my worst is but I just bought the cutest Old navy summer dress off Poshmark.
It was displayed on a maniqin and had figure flattering look to it.
when I put it on it made me look like I had no figure joust straight down.
Not happening ,I do have some waist and think I look good in a dress.LOL
- February 28, 2021 at 7:45 am #455376KristaDuchessRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 8Replies: 531Has thanked: 1278 timesBeen thanked: 2301 times
Good Morning M’lady Grace,
Well my shopaholic days are long gone. No more room in the closets or chests of drawers. If I buy anything, I have to give something away first. So that means that YES, I have made numerous purchases in the past that after I got home I ask myself, What was I thinking? For the purposes of this thread, I will focus on my most EXPENSIVE en femme shopping blunder.
I tried several cheap waist trainers but they ended up being pretty useless but not a big worry as they were “cheap”. So I said to myself, time to get a proper corset. I went to a shop that also catered to CDs and the staff were extremely helpful. I ended up buying a very well constructed black corset for about $100. I did try it on in the store but I was a bit anxious and didn’t really give it a thorough examination. And with the nice staff I said Yes, I will take it. Got it home and being more relaxed, I thought I’d try it on again. What a mistake!!!! It just didn’t fit right and for the price, you’d think it should fit perfectly. So it now sits in a bottom drawer. Never been worn (except to try on). I tried selling it but alas no takers. That’s one purchase I wish I never made. For that same $100 I could buy a whole bunch of other clothing that fits well and looks great. Oh well, live and learn.
Stay healthy, stay safe, All the Very Best, Big Hugs, Krista.
- February 28, 2021 at 1:44 pm #455579Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 51Replies: 1093Has thanked: 3796 timesBeen thanked: 5662 times
- February 28, 2021 at 3:07 pm #455622KristaDuchessRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 8Replies: 531Has thanked: 1278 timesBeen thanked: 2301 times
You know Grace, I’m going to give that corset another try. Who knows? maybe something has changed over the past few years (besides the size of my waist). I will find a time next week to try it on. It would be lovely to have an assistant to pull on the straps at the back but there are youtube videos that give suggestions. I’ll have them a watch first.
Knowing you love snow, we had another big dump last night. I shoveled my driveway for an hour this morning – no need to go for a walk (and a second time this afternoon but it was quicker). Usually we have nice fluffy dry snow but this was the heavy wet stuff. Yuck. But it does mean we are getting closer to spring as it is the spring snow that is usually heavier. Ah, we have a gorgeous winter wonderland out there. And luckily are snow plow crews are pretty good at clearing up the main routes so I won’t have a problem going grocery shopping tomorrow morning. I have my eye on a lovely white lace bralette with a three hook back closure (I’ve been hoping there’d be a price drop). I’ll check tomorrow. Big Hugs, Krista.
- February 28, 2021 at 7:34 am #455371MacKenzie AlexandraAmbassadorRegistered On: May 20, 2016Topics: 45Replies: 561Has thanked: 140 timesBeen thanked: 1229 times
It would have be a yellow floral dress without a doubt. I bought early in my re-emergence and exploration of my feelings. Mind you, I knew I hated floral then, but bought it anyhow. It was one of a few outfits that I found to fit at that time.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.