21 Users
0 Thanks
Managing Editor
Topic starter
(@bmactavish)
Noble Member     Iowa, United States of America
wpf-cross-image

Issue II

I learned long ago that I’m never going to be 5’6” and 120 pounds and fit into a size 6 (or smaller sized) dress. My hair isn’t going to glow and be long, my complexion to die for, or my bust the envy of women and men alike. I’m never going to be able to wear all the beautiful styles of high heels, being a size 13, that I so envy. I’m also never going to be 30 again. I have to settle for being 6 foot, and (ahem…a girl never says her weight) with baggy eyes, a paunch that’s gotten significantly bigger the past couple of years, hair (a full head I might add) all grey and cut short, and me turning 60. I still dream the illusion but have learned to temper my expectations.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the fantasy that we all live to exemplify—the embodiment of femininity. To this, I speak more to our crossdressers and not those who already know they are transgender. For me, and I don’t ever want others to think that I speak for them, I believe the average crossdresser is excited by the illusion and less worried about expectations. The CD in me when I’m fully dressed sees less of the imperfections and lives in the moment—in the illusion of whom I wish to portray. And at times, that part of me that lives on the line of being transgendered sees those same imperfections and wants badly to fix them.

My situation and health hasn’t allowed me to dive fully-in for nearly a year and a half. Most every morning, I dress completely (currently with warmer weather I don’t shave my legs—though I wish that I could) except for the makeup. I settle for lip gloss as I drink my coffee and manage my time on the computer. This happens most days at 5 am until 7 am and then Brina is put back into hiding. Those two hours help me through the rest of my day. Sometimes it’s shorter or slightly longer. I get to live in my illusion of who I am. I don’t look in the mirror after I put on the wig and lip gloss or worry about all the maleness that I can’t eradicate, instead I am me (minus the beautiful painted fingernails.) For now, it has to do, and it does. When dressed, I’m less stressed out and more content. I can also manage better my patience with others and myself. Brina does that for me…actually…I do that for me because she is just as much me.

I can’t ever become my fantasy illusion—it’s not physically possible no matter how many surgeries I contemplate having or the years of hormone treatments. That significant part of me that is more has no choice but to temper the expectations and see the best of possible outcomes, not the illusion that can either be tweaked or altered to satisfy hopefulness through digital manipulation or filters. Throughout the years, I’ve utilized almost every beauty program available to test hair styles and makeup, and I’ve doctored my share of photos in my pursuit of the dream of the “What could/should have beens.” I have no issues with this at all (as it is part of the illusion.) My only concerns stem from a deeper realization that sometimes the illusion becomes a false reality and unhealthy to realistic expectations.

In those situations where one can’t shave their beard, or if their spouse will know they’ve used their makeup, or so on, I get the use of programs such as FaceApp to complete the illusion. I also like to showcase my new dress, and though I personally dislike having to keep my face turned away from the camera or only show myself from the neck down, I’m with you…I get it. I like seeing the whole package as well. We are, as every other female generally is, concerned about our appearance and how others perceive us. We want others to see us as we see ourselves—sometimes to the point of less truthful distortions.

There is a substantial difference between the acknowledgement of illusion enhancement and passing one’s self off as the illusion. I understand that as well. Being something more and having to live with the male attributes that I dislike is depressing; I want to be that woman that I currently can’t and most likely never will.

Who doesn’t want to portray the best that they could be? Erase those parts of us that speak of maleness. Seeing some of the beautiful girls on this site can easily strike chords of jealousy. I’m blessed by nice legs and a generally decent face…when properly made up. The right clothes and angles can help me close the gap on my illusion to fit more in line with my expectations. Some on this site are pros at makeup, some at fashion, some at photography. I learn from all of them, applaud them with my likes, and compliment them on their presentation. In my envy of their slim waist and youthful appearance I am also happy for them, for me, as they represent possibilities, a hope that I can become a better version of myself. Not my illusion, but in raising my expectations…

If you are wondering whether I am for or against FaceApp or digital enhancement. The simple answer is, “I'm not against it.” We have so much to deal with in our lives as it is, being us and all. What does it hurt to display what we dream of in our illusion of ourselves? Nothing at all if it is labelled as such or clearly evident when we can’t go “all in.” When our illusion becomes a false reality, then there is concern. I’m talking about when we use our digital avatar to escape from the pressures we aren’t sure how to handle and use it to try and convince ourselves and others that this is who we are. Even if we attempt to use it as an illustration of who we are on the inside and how we feel, it still resonates of the deeper issues that are building within us. A pure crossdresser is all about the illusion, role playing the best female image of their particular taste that they can become, not all that different from those who do Drag. When the makeup comes off they return to their maleness and do so comfortably…not all of us do.

Many of us, myself very much included, have lived a lie of who we are. All the guilt, shame, pain, and ruined relationships are but broken trails that follow behind. “To live our Truth” is the mantra that we all wish we could follow. It’s not always possible, but it doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Like anything that is suppressed, it eventually bubbles over. Women and men all suffer from body image, we additionally suffer in two realms. We are no less a victim to the images of perfection than are women. Being happy and content within our own bodies… Come back when you quit laughing…

Know that you are not alone in your feelings or your struggles. That’s what this sisterhood we call CDH is all about. There isn’t a path that someone hasn’t walked before you or others are walking right alongside of you. There are no perfect answers, but always hope and someone to reach out their hand to help you back up. This is the one place where you can feel genuine, and both be inspired by and be an inspiration to others. Don’t be afraid to show your best side, share your skills, or even write your own article. I can see the woman inside of you looking out because she is me as well.

Be safe, be hopeful, and be kind…

Until next time…  

oh...that is my face in the picture and a special someone, who also recently turned 60, providing the body...I might have been able to get by using my own legs...just saying...

41 Replies
Ambassador
(@beach-girl)
Honorable Member     United States of America

Wonderful article, Brina!

I've been a CDH member for almost five years &, over that time, I've loved reading things like this because I can so easily relate.

I'm currently at a crossroads. I've been told that I am transgendered & would love to be the woman I should be. But I'm also deeply in love with my wife. She's told me that she'll leave me if I transition. I've discovered that there are varying levels of acceptance by others. At one end of the spectrum is intolerance. At the other is advocacy, whereby we get encouragement to be who we feel to be our true selves. My wife has been up & down that spectrum like a yo-yo.

I'm also getting on in years (aren't we all?), but as a woman, I can pull off looking 20-30 years younger. Like you, I might never have the bikini body that I crave. I'll not see 120 again, either. I'm just hoping to get to 150 (& a size 10) & maintain it. I'm about 5'11" & have always been very self-conscious about my height; worrying that it might "give me away". But lately, it seems that, whereas I once believed I was on the taller side, as a male, & too tall, as a female, I now seem to find that many men are towering over me and many women are approximating my height. I no longer have reservations about strutting my stuff in 5" heels.

Thanks for your inspiration & support.

Dawn

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you for the comments and being a long-time member. I've been here since early 2016. I think sometimes we put too much emphasis on what the terms mean. Transgender means what exactly? It is a variant in possibilities as there are types of crossdressers. This will be one of my future topics.

I agree...when dressed I can look much younger than what I can as a male, but then I've never tried to get rid of my grey either. I, too am getting more comfortable knowing that I wouldn't tower over everyone at 6 ft. I may have to ditch the 8 inch platform shoes...unless I'm headed to a standing room only concert...lol.

My best to you and your wife as you work through your lives together. And that is the secret...working through it together.

(@melissa446)
New Member     Arlington, Virginia, United States of America

What a great article! As I move through the 50s approaching 60, it's nice to know we have a community, even if we don't get the chance to share a cup of coffee directly together. So many good points that hit home. Dressing lowers my stress and I also become more kind and accepting of others. "I can see the woman inside of you looking out because she is me as well." Thanks.

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thanks for the comments Melissa 🙂 There aren't many "safe" spots that we can go to to communicate in all the ways we do here with each other. This site has been a blessing to me, most importantly in letting me know that I'm not part of a small group but actually in an extremely large group that is growing.

Lady
(@mary20603)
New Member     Waldorf, Md, United States of America

Love the article! I can relate to alot of what you are saying. I will never have that hourglass figure weigh entirely too much But love the being a fuller figured gal even in a dress size 24/26 Hope to read more from you

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you for the kind words Mary 🙂 I think it may even be harder for some of us over women in general trying to find comfort in how we look.

Baroness Annual
(@carolyn)
Prominent Member     Michigan, United States of America

Hi Brina,

A friend of mine told me about your article and I just had to find it and read it. Of course, as I was looking Vanessa put it on the weekly post, yay. I can relate to so much of what you wrote about, only I have to add 10 years, I am 70. My shoe size is 13 so I can totally understand the difficulties in finding good heels and wearing them. I have managed to accumulate over 40 pairs so you can see it hasn’t exactly slowed me that much, lol.

I to have a little (perhaps more) weight than I would like, seem like it has just appeared over the years. I also have a wife who will not allow me to shave much. She will give me two months, in the dead of winter to shave my legs, but other than that it’s the hairy leggings.

I have found I must just find time to enjoy who I know I am. My wife is tolerant and does let me completely dress when we are alone at our secluded cottage in northern Michigan. Other than that I do similar to you with just a touch of lipstick on the mornings while wearing my femme robe, sipping on my coffee. It gives me just enough femme to get me through the day.

The real savor has been my friends I have found here on the CDH site. We all have ups and downs and it is so nice to know we are not alone and have someone to talk to. Thank you for a beautiful article, hugs, Carolyn

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you for taking the time to reply and share your story. Not only am I a size 13 shoe, I have narrow feet. I've tended towards high wedge shoes recently...maybe the past hippie is starting to show through. It will be bell bottoms next...lol. It is amazing how even just a little time each day or several times a week can make a difference in stress levels.

(@denise1245)
Active Member     Titusville, Pennsylvania, United States of America

Hi Brina, Your article reminded me of an important aspect of my gender fluidness. For me, being gender fluid is a spiritual exercise. If you don't believe in the reality of your physical world or believe that your virtual world is illusion, then the whole problem of being gender fluid disappears.

Denise

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you for the comment! You should pen an article about it. I'd like to read it!

Ambassador
(@skippy1965)
Famed Member     Richmond, Virginia, United States of America

Ah Brina you make many great points. I’m nowhere near as svelte as I’d like to be(at approx 190 lbs) but I feel lucky to “only” be 5 ft 8 and about a size 18 or XL. My ex was way on the intolerance end of the scale though we are cordial now years later.

I am blessed with a very full head of hair that is a blend of silver gray and brown that I will never color and will keep as long as I can. Shoes I’m an 11 and have an absurdly large amount (about 450 pair) along with the rest of Narnia/Cyn’s boutique as many can testify.

I too have a big part of not most of me that is “something more” than just the clothes and though it’s unlikely at age 56 that I’ll ever fully surgically transition it IS possible that one day I may socially transition and possibly do HRT or breast enhancement.

I am fortunate to have come fairly well to grips with who I am and to be able to express Cyn far more openly than many here have the opportunity to do. (A product of counseling abs bit having a spouse or SO to deal with though I’d dearly love to find a life companion who can accept me for all of who I am and whom I would tell about Cyn from day 1.)

I have been a member here since Augusta 2015-18th longest active member abs watched the site grow explosively to multiple tens of thousands since I joined as member 131. This wonderful supportive.community has from the first day been a lifeline that helped get me and many others through our darker days and allowed us to shine as we grow into ourselves (I was once paralyzingly shy and closeted but now have grown to flying cross country in full Cyn mode and going to my weekly pool league nearly full femme every time and being accepted for who I am by my friends abs acquaintances).

I’ll finish with the phrase that I have adopted as my mantra and share whenever someone will listen:

never let ANYONE INCLUDING YOURSELF push you further or faster than you are ready to go BUT also don't let ANYONE including yourself KEEP you from doing what you ARE ready to do!

Keep up the great work!
Cyn

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you Cyn. Not much for me to add there. You said it very well! I will also emphasize your last statement. We need to go our own pace and not be swain by those who live with different circumstances. In our similarities we are also individuals. No pair of High heels will fit every girl...

Baroness
(@amylove2dress)
Famed Member     South Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada

Brina, I can identify with so much of what you say here. Though Like you, and so many others here and everywhere I'd love a voluptuous feminine body, but it won't happen!
Also at 67, pushing 68, my age is starting to show in my face more. Which brings me to a real regret I have, that I didn't find the way to let Amy out much sooner in my life, but I am so glad I'm here now, and I want to make the most of it now.
I have been a member here for a bit over two years, and through being here it has helped me spread my feminine wings so much more.
When I'm home and dressing up I also buy into the fantasy that I'm a lovely woman still in her prime.
Thank you Brina, very much for such an insightful and interesting article.
Amy

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you as well Amy for all the articles that you have shared. I sometimes think the older we get the easier it is to knock off years compared to women in general. Mostly in our legs and faces we tend to be leaner appearing, even if heavier in the mid section.

(@qtestephy)
Noble Member     Massachusetts, United States of America

Thank you Brina for another thought provoking Article. You mentioned a 5'6" 120lb size 6 woman. That best describe my wife when i first met her. She had long very pretty chestnut hair. I fell in love with her the moment i first saw her. I still feel the same way today. We have been married for over forty years. Our bodies have changed over the years but our love for each has only gotten better. Make no mistake Brina if you choose to present your self as a woman full time you would be accepted as a woman.It would not be just about how you present your self physically ( which is important) but more then that you are very beautiful thoughtful person who has so much empathy for others. Those of us who have been and are currently have dealing with our issue. You are right on so many of your thoughts There is a difference between being a cross dresser and a trans woman that is for sure. I feel so fortunate that i grew up in a city that was a little more accepting. We had several places where we could go and be our selves. I had several opportunities in my life that I could of chosen to fully transition but chose live in the body i was given because it was easier and it was safe. It made even easier because i was very much attracted to woman. I can only imagine what life would like to be if i was attracted to men. Sorry that's a whole other story. Accepting we are aging and will never be able to look as good as when when we were younger can be a bitter pill to swallow. We still can look and feel a little cute also. It just takes a little more effort.Stay true to who you are as person first. How we choose to dress is totally up to each and every one of us. CDH is a great place to share how we would love to dress and even get support when we need it.

Luv Stephanie

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Very well said Stephanie 🙂 I'm going to dig into that distinction between the two at some point. There is a strong fear when someone contemplates being transgender. I think we need to understand that it is as wide open as the connotation behind what a crossdresser is. It doesn't mean that transition is a must. I think it is accepting that we have ingrained female tendencies, which again leaves a huge point open for debate. I guess that's my point. We shouldn't be so clearly defined in any capacity other than being human...

Lady
(@lisaw)
Trusted Member     Indiana, United States of America

Great article Sabrina ! As someone who turned 60 recently, I can relate. Thanks for sharing your perspectives. The cover photo is great !!

4 Replies
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you for the message and the comments on the article. I sure hope it's true that 60 is the new 40...

Lady
(@lisaw)

Trusted Member     Indiana, United States of America

Me too. I certainly don't feel like 60. Normally as Lisa people think I'm late 40's, I'll take that. But I'm fortunate , I also don't look anywhere near 60 in male mode either.

Lady
(@ilovelipsticks)

Active Member     Corpus christi, Texas, United States of America

Hi I think I can relate to everything that you have been doing. I’ve been in the closet sense five. My parents put me down when cought I my mothers underwear and not knowing how to clean my mouth when I snuck her lipsticks. I’m big I don’t have the chance to have pretty cloths. My life at 65 is all in the closet. I can hide lipsticks n sometime ware out jest recently because of masks. I’ve grown old hiding trying to b Manley. You have a lot more experience n fun with your life n I envy you. I must say that when I found n became a member my life has open up immensely with for the first time to sleek out loud what’s going on in my life. I read the lady’s story’s n I want to shoutout I’m a crossdresser in I wish I could b a woman. But at lass like you my reality says I’m never going to b a woman. Life can b cruel but it is what it is. Thank you for your words of life. I can imagine that sometimes you are happy. That’s what n why we dream n make believe in our minds that we are women inside. Oh I did go to the stor n wore lipstick today. It really was exciting. Thank you n have a blessed day. I’ve said enough

Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Jamie,

Thank you for sharing and your sincere comments. I'm more of lip-gloss girl. I remember buying my HS girlfriend strawberry lip gloss as a gift and then had to wait nearly a month before she wore it. I wanted to kiss her wearing it because I couldn't. That way I'd get to...secondhand of course. We have to find our own happy medium where we can do more than just get by. Life is tough enough, and when you add in being a CD, it's even harder. I'm always the happiest when I can leave lipstick marks on my coffee cup 🙂

Ambassador
(@leonara)
Noble Member     Long Island,, New York, United States of America

Brina,
thank you for your very thought provoking article... I consider myself a “woman in progress “...like you “I’m blessed by nice legs and a generally decent face…when properly made up”lol. With serious surgery, I lost 15lbs to a very femme weight of 160 and based on the style dress a size 10 and a size 9 shoe... age (73) has its advantages that I shave legs and torso every 2-3 weeks...
by accident my wife walked in on Leonara about 5years ago and processed her husbands revelation, stating, I have enough girlfriends and our relationship has evolved, “don’t ask don’t tell” and Kathy gives me the opportunity for Leonara to express herself at least 3x/week when she is not home...
we are together and just celebrated our 50th anniversary !!
Brina, thank you for the well written article and your friendship over the years...
Regards, Leonara

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

What a great story Leonara 🙂 172 would be my target weight and it's going to take some time. I was talking with my (nurse) daughter about how hard it's been to loose weight when you can't effectively exercise. My right knee is still bad. I try to do PT on it and it swells up and I can hardly walk let alone do exercise. I can walk up to a couple of miles before it hurts, not much help in burning calories. Knee wrap only goes so far. I know it's not because of the fact I like to eat...nope, that isn't it...lol. Have a great spring!

Duchess Annual
(@robertaf)
Noble Member     Louisiana, United States of America

What a great story Brina, thanks for sharing it. I could clearly relate to most everything that you said. Thanks for putting it all in words.

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

Thank you for commenting. This is why I started the column, to be a little more free to talk about the issues around being a CD or something more...hopefully, in a fun, inspiring, and thoughtful way with respect to all. That's my goal.

(@robinette)
Trusted Member     Michigan, United States of America

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I too turned 60 recently and feel exactly like you. Never gonna be they way we always wanted but be happy with what we have now. The years of struggle and doubt and all that stuff seem to be in the rear view and it feels good to let it go (well...most of it!).  

1 Reply
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

I couldn't have said it better 🙂

Lady
(@crosslion66)
Eminent Member     Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I to agree with Brina I could have almost written that story myself.

Lady
(@jamietaal)
Reputable Member     DC Metro Area, Maryland, United States of America

Thank you for your great insight. You can be my ghost writer any time.

3 Replies
Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

I have enough on my own plate trying to get my latest novel to the printer, and to redo 2 others that are finished, and to write the sequel to the one that is currently being edited. Might be free after that...lol... Thanks for the compliment 🙂

Lady
(@jamietaal)

Reputable Member     DC Metro Area, Maryland, United States of America

Oooh very nice. Maybe I missed it in other posts/entries but I didn't know you wrote novels. fabulous. What are they about? Do you do this for fun? I envy those that love writing and can write well.

Managing Editor
(@bmactavish)

I write to what inspires me, no particular genre. I have 8 done, 4 published with the 5th getting ready. 1 short novella as Brina "Red Lipstick" on Amazon. I have a CD series with the first novel done (not erotic fiction) that I'll work on getting published once I finish this latest project. (Under male mode I have a Romance, Syfy Time travel moral story, phycological thriller, and a ghost story.
It isn't m day job...not yet, and hopefully before I'm too old. Didn't publish my first book until 2010.

Page 1 / 2
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?