My Tips on Presenting
- Get your eyebrows done by a professional. Shaggy eyebrows are easily corrected. I go to Ulta or see my friend, Natalie at The Beauty Garage. I have been going to Natalie for six years, and she treats me wonderfully. And best of all, you can have it done in Male Mode or En Femme. This is an important step when wanting to present as a female.
- Don’t wear outrageous clothes. I know how sometimes Bright Pink Lace Tights are fun to wear, but they will draw attention to you. The goal should be to blend in.
- When wearing a dress make sure it isn’t too tight or too short. If you can’t shave your legs wear opaque tights.
- Giant high heels are fun and sexy, but you just don’t need them. Nothing wrong with sensible heels that you can actually walk more naturally in.
- Open-toed heels, sandals with pantyhose. Maybe it is just me, but this doesn’t look right. There seems to be less keeping to tradition, and as crossdressers, we tend to wear what we like not necessarily what is fashion sense.
- Watch Wheel of Fortune. Vanna White is almost always impeccably well-dressed–except for one day this week (such an ugly dress in my opinion).
- Get a professional makeover at a Salon like Ulta or Sephora. The MUA are used to making over all types. They can show you the correct color of foundation and powder to help you look your best. The first time wear something really casual: Sweat pants and a Sweatshirt and just lipstick.
- Use Lip Liner before you put on Lipstick.
- Shave closely before applying makeup, both with the grain and against the grain. Use a Concealer on your mustache after applying Foundation and before applying your Face Powder. I use “Hey Honey Trick & Treat Concealer”
- Get a Setting Spray. This little bottle will make it so your makeup doesn’t move. I use Morphe – Continuous Setting Mist.
- Search for Heidi Phox and watch some of her videos. You will learn from her tips and tricks. She also has a Web Site called the Phox Den. Spend some time there and study her techniques.
- Practice putting on your makeup. You can get any product delivered to your door and have it arrive completely anonymously.
- T.J. Maxx has brushes for applying makeup at a really good price.
- Get out and about. What is the worst that can happen? Someone stares at you. Just smile and give them the best show possible.
- Don’t take selfies of you blowing a kiss. It is so overdone.
- Get a remote control for your camera, a tripod, and a flash. Practice posing. Analyze your photos and learn from them. Study your presentation. Just like our website says, “Make sure your background is clutter-free.”
- Use a mirror to take photos, just be aware that doing so with a flash will ruin the picture, hence the need for a tripod for slower exposures
- Blouses – make sure they are ironed and not full of wrinkles
- Nair is great for hair on the toes or anywhere. I even bought the face cream and use it on my mustache before I shave. That really helps lighten up the mustache area.
- Being too Matchy Matchy. Dressing all in one color besides black is too much for anyone to take. All Orange for instance is a dead giveaway.
- Breast Forms – there are three types I am familiar with
Silicone Breast Forms for Crossdressers: each one is separate and comes in variable sizes. They can be put in a pocket bra or worn in a regular bra. 13 Breast Form FAQs: Types, Shapes, Tips for Use, More (healthline.com) is a good generic place to learn about options.
These are my favorite. Amazon is one place to find them. These fit in your bra and give you the desired effect and weight. For an example check out this link. Niidor Adhesive Bra Strapless Sticky Invisible Push up Silicone Bra for Backless Dress with Nipple Covers Nude(A Cup) at Amazon Women’s Clothing store. These can be used with adhesive to create (with practice) visible cleavage
The third type is Breast Plates. I have never tried them as they are expensive, and they usually require a large necklace to hide the plastic neckline.
- Fingernails. I use glue-on nails. I don’t feel right without them. Man’s hands are real giveaways, and artificial fingernails extend stubby fingers.